Comments By Dennis R.

https://gomotors.net/pics/Peterbilt/peterbilt-379-02.jpg avatar
  • Dennis R.
  • Comments:

My 6-Month Pay Summary As A Rookie Flatbed Driver

Nice :) Glad to see you're doing well and if you're ever at Kone elevator in West Chester, Ohio, we might run into each other. The company I drive for hauls out of there quite a bit and I see those big blue KW's there all the time.

I haven't been there yet, but I am in Ohio today, making a delivery in Ashtabula this morning then picking up aluminum extrusions in Miles. Maybe we'll pass each other or something!

Highly recommend the drive along the lake,from bula to conneaut,if your heading east. Route will be under one hour,you can rejoin 90 in conneaut.

My 6-Month Pay Summary As A Rookie Flatbed Driver

Flatbed pay should go up faster,than most other specialized hauling,and the experience gained,is pretty much free to the driver.Nothing beats experience..just wish I would have got into trucking,sooner in life,flat seems like a great niche.

Long-haul driving and boredom

Have to become one with your truck,and just enjoy,the beauty,of the planet itself. Heavy metal music,keeps me running down the road. Although running at night,you miss a lot of scenery,and your surroundings seem much smaller.

Flatbed Variety

Im looking at buying a trailer of my own,but want to be able to use it at auctions,where a vehicle,or piece of heavy equiptment,may not be running. The winch and tilt bed,would be perfect,although my search indicates,they are pretty pricey. Thanks for the reply.

Flatbed Variety

Id like some additional info on why you choose the trailer,you guys pull.I see a ton of different styles. Could use some schooling on loading,unloading,and the weight and construction,of the trailer itself. Trailer looks to me like the most important part of the rig itself. The load is just what pays for the driver and rig.

Flatbed Variety

Anyone give me some advice on Landoll 610? Saw one tonight,in action,towing another tow truck. Loading and unloading,was simple..Im thinking of seriously purchasing one,if it has more uses.,Thanks

Tire diferences

Just got into a new 579 pete,set up for reefer hauling. I have Bridgestone,H rated tires,on the steer axle,in case you need to transfer weight up front. Do all H rated tires ride so poorly? Just the general characteristics,of the bridgestone tires? Loaded or empty,on straight,dry roads,they ride like they are on marbles..truck just doesnt feel planted,on the road surface. Truck wanders around..except if you are on a brand new piece of road. I dont think Id ever buy Bridgestone..I want my Goodyear or Michelins back!

Tip for those new to trailer backing, how to steer a trailer.

Been a long day..meant steer tires.sorry.gif

Tip for those new to trailer backing, how to steer a trailer.

The part Celadon,mostly forgot to teach,was when to straighten,your drive tires,and pivot trailer..THANKS KIM! This is the secret,to a good back.

Despite the good advice I made an illogical decision.

Unless you can choose your own loads..my guess is the company,will give you just enough loads,to make your truck payment..just a guess.

Flatbed Variety

I recently bought a 1973 Pontiac Gran Prix,from a location,in Washington state,and need to get it back to ohio. My company is no help,booking a truck and driver. Thunking of renting a trailer,for this mission..any recommendations?

I-81 through VA and PA?

No hills in virginia? LOL Just came through 81,nothing to it,mostly straight,and plenty of warnings,around curves. Try the grape vine...with its beautiful landscape of mud.

My Prime student had an accident

Just got out of my 680 and into a 579...Im going to miss my fender mirrors dearly..just have to be extra carefull.

Favorite YouTube trucker

Without a doubt, Abe is my favorite..

I'd have thought Sergi Dratchev would be your favorite. Maybe it's his heavy hauling that turns you off?

I like sergi,and Indiana jack...but wonder where my favorite went...yourboyE.

From Company truck driver to owner operator questions

Have to maximize value,and minimize fees,starting from day one.every extra fee,leasing a company truck,adds up to a huge amount after a 5-7 year lease..you might own the truck,but it will be a million mile truck.

From Company truck driver to owner operator questions

The only way to become an oo is time save and buy a new truck,from a dealer,with a decent interest rate. $$1500 monthly payment. Takes about 5 years experience,showing wages and or profit, to get a good rate.

Any truck to stay away from O/O

Research is the key..one to stay away from is max force engines..drive what you really like..if your making an outrageous payment.

Finding a trucking company with a criminal record

Cr england and western express.

Buying a truck

From what I've seen,used trucks with 500k mileage,run between 50-75k. Better to save and buy a brand new truck,from a dealer,with a warranty,and buy the first 500 k miles. .rather than the last 500k.

Field of Vision

Some people just lack brains..or depth perception. Im always looking waaay down the road,for conditions and hazards...but some drivers I see make quick rapid adjustments,at the last minute, creating havoc, for other drivers. Just when I think a driver,is going to maintain a lane..it seldom happens.