Comments By Spanky FKA A.Meggs

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/truck-driver-safety.jpg avatar

In cab cooking and nature's calling

Thanks Rolling Thunder, so I'm thinking 12 volt is bad idea. Unless I just want to toss a few bills to the wind :)

Schneider Teams- Only $800-900 weekly

Wait I almost forgot, that figure is more than I'm making right now as I sit and wait for a few companies to make a choice and take a chance on me. So yeah go ahead and tell them u have a replacement waiting.

Schneider Teams- Only $800-900 weekly

Boy oh boy, I can't wait to be behind the wheel, but instead of spending my time worrying about what is not going right I think I will spend my time taking those chitty loads, making the best of what they gave me, try to make things better not only for the company I work for but also my family. It's funny how some of us "can't wait to get there" wannabes really are hoping for a shot, a chance to prove ourselves to the company that took a chance on us "less than perfect" people. I'm starting to think maybe I should just stay home, after all hell I might just suck too :) now that I think about it I'm almost certain I am going to suck considering I have never driven anything as massive, never had to organize umpteen loads for thousands of people and other than this site, ALOT of research and what I remember from pops when he was around driving, ummmmm yep I'm probably gonna suck. But what I will do is put my BIG BOY pants on, drive my @** off and make the BEST of my choice. Hopefully if it's not wgat I think IS the best other doors will open. So that being said, if u don't like it slide your @$$ out of the seat (the exit is on the left) and PLEASE tell Shnieder to give me a call. Cause again, I CAN'T WAIT TO BE BEHIND THE WHEEL. My opinion and mine alone.

In cab cooking and nature's calling

Erroll, i remember going on trips with the old man to luisianna couple times a year, drove tanker hauling caustic acid mostly to paper plants as well as white/black liquor within the state and states around our border so he was home most nights. Day cab white gmc mostly, but that's what we usually had to do, straight to the bottle. Just can't really remember what happen for #2, paper logs then so I am sure we stopped. As far as cooking sounds about same as camping, improvise when needed and wash your tools the best u can.

In cab cooking and nature's calling

I use a crock pot also. I have had about three of the 12 volt models available at truck stops. But I personally think they are not designed to hold up for serious cooking. They are fine for warming up canned soup or such as that, but if you want to cook a chicken or some some smothered pork chops like I do then you need that thing to be cooking for five or six hours. I wore out the heating elements in the 12 volt ones. I finally just got a cheap 120 volt model from Wal-Mart and plug it into an inverter while cruising down the road - works great and the smell will drive you nuts on some days. I cook several versions of jambalaya and some meat and vegetable dishes, and also some great homemade soups with it. When cooking rice for the jambalaya dishes you need to use converted rice for it to cook properly. I also will do some cooking when I'm home and divide the meal up into one serving size portions and freeze them in some small tupperware containers. Then I will take some of them on the road with me (stored in my small refrigerator) and drop it in the crock-pot for an easy economical yet delicious meal that seems like home cooking.

That's what I was thinking for the most part but of course I could only take a few as space I'm sure would be limited. thinkIng its time to look up some one pot meals. I'm a suckered for roast and potatoes out the crock pot and if u freeze that with the juice it can be better than fresh out the pot. starting to think maybe I can manage without spending alot. And of course no stirring the pot while driving :)

In cab cooking and nature's calling

I usually cook in a crock pot and/or heat in a microwave when running truck load. No frying and no flames for me.

As for the restroom thing, Errol has it right.

crazy as it sounds that actually never came to mind :) and who doesn't love a good crock pot meal, black eye peas with dumplings, ham chunks abd rice just may become my best bud. Just have to be careful with those beansgood-luck-2.gif

In cab cooking and nature's calling

Cooking: Fry pan inside is not a good idea - no ventilation. Though the idea of a bacon fragrance all the time might sound good, try to keep the inside clean. I have heard of drivers that might cook on the cat walk. You will find mini-stoves running on propane at truck stops. (Walmart can get you a better price!). Flame, in my opinion, always packs better heat than electric. Spread your carbon footprint and use disposable paper plates, etc, or recycle plastic/melamine, and just wipe them off with a wet-wipe. Or, just "batch" it, and eat out of a can.

I don't cook while I'm on the road. Sandwiches, cold cuts, etc. keep me full. I have managed to warm up chili and soups by setting a can next to the bunk heater vent. Not the best idea in places like Corpus Christi, TX, in the summertime.

Personal business: No. 1: Bladder sizes vary. Some can make it, some need a relief. Many drivers keep an empty juice or Gatorade bottle handy. Remember this, though: "fresh" urine can be simply poured out, hopefully on grass/dirt. Leaving it in the bottle, it actually becomes classified as hazardous waste. No. 2: Well, let's just not (ahem) go there in the cab.

I remember going on trips with the old man to luisianna couple times a year, drove tanker hauling caustic acid mostly to paper plants as well as white/black liquor within the state and states around our border so he was home most nights. Day cab white gmc mostly, but that's what we usually had to do, straight to the bottle. Just can't really remember what happen for #2, paper logs then so I am sure we stopped. As far as cooking sounds about same as camping, improvise when needed and wash your tools the best u can.

In cab cooking and nature's calling

So as I am working to get my "foot in the door" I have had alot of friends and family ask about eating (although I'm thinking of cooking in cab if possible to save my hard earned money) as well as potty time. It seems to me alot of you use George Foremans and skillets but my main concern is the best way to go about keeping everything clean. I'm certain "fine China" is a big part of the in cab cooking budget but last I checked GF and skillets aren't made of plastic :) Sorry to bring this up after getting your belly grunting but next would be natures calling. Of course we all want to keep the wheels and miles rolling but when u REALLY have to go and can't stop. I'm all ears first any tips, tricks of the trade or ideas that come to mind. I am an excellent cook at home and I'm sure I can be otr (at least I think I could do as good as alot of truck stops, and I've heard of course everything starts tasting the same) Also open for any quick meals that come to mind. Thanks to you all and be safe.

That little voice that eats at ya.

Thanks y'all. I'm thinking if I jump in Company sponsored training is the way I'll go. Just wish everything wasn't so far from my little hometown. Asheville and Fletcher have schools, it's the upfront cost that gets me right away.

I appreciate y'all letting me take a little bit of ya time!

BTW a lot of company sponsored programs won't cost u any money to start. Aside from (depending what program) the money you will need to eat off of r nit but during your school. After that, again depending which program, you will be getting paid even as your in training. I'm not sure if u have already but search for company sponsored on this site. Ton of info there and reviews for each. You may not yet know just how helpful and informative this place really is :)

That little voice that eats at ya.

ABF is a tremendous place to spend a driving career and in some cases they take on new drivers. Can you do some networking with your friend who spent his career there and see if you can't open a door for yourself? Especially being that you have a family, you might turn over every rock you could to get in there.

If you don't have your CDL yet, take a course at the local community college to get it and then refer to the paragraph above.

My thoughts exactly, I figure for myself doing a year or two otr for experience (and the thought of getting to at least SEE the rest of the country) then try my hand a little closer to home for the family, and hopefully once they are out on their own maybe talking the wife into a "teams type of retirement plan" from there on out. good-luck-2.gif Hey a man can only plan and hope for the best. I second that motion GO FOR IT, after all there are so many different options to suit your needs and if you don't like the one you choose try for the next. Great thing about it is there are endless options and more than enough seats ready for the taking

That little voice that eats at ya.

First and foremost, trucking site or not, this is one of the most professional and best responsive forums and blog site that I have come across in a long time. Brett and all the other mods as well as the posters, I commend y'all.

Thought about trucking for years, but I've done almost everything but that. Radio DJ for 13 years, Supervisor of a metal shop for a few more years, security guard for a few years, and now working in printing and all the while (with the exception of dj'n) I have felt stuck. A longing in my soul that there is more out there waiting and wanting to be explored.

Every time I mention wanting to be a truck driver I get mixed responses. Yes, I am a father of two wonderful kids. However they both now live with their mothers. I am engaged and she has a young kid but oddly enough I get the most positive feedback from her.

Growing up my neighbor drove and ended up retiring from ABF. Although in the early years of my memory he did do some OTR work when he had his own truck.

Is there such a thing as a calling? I have no idea, but I do know that more often than not when I'm driving down the interstate I look longingly at the majestic vessels that sail our concrete and asphalt seas.

I've been looking into a few places and reading here (again KUDOS on the way this site is ran and maintained) and the pull seems stronger. Although I still have mixed feelings about being away from home that much. Even though my kids are at the very least an hour and half away I still feel like I'm leaving them.

Anyone else have this dilemma? Or am I nuts?

Well if u are nuts your not alone. I also have that same feeling of my bell being tolled to hitch a ride in the industry. As far as children I have three beautiful little ladies that live at home with me and altough I have my concerns of "leaving" I also know that what I am trying to get into is for their best interest in the long run. Been in construction for past 15+ years and it has been nothing but a roller coaster ride. The idea of starting a career that has very minimal unemployment and fact that as long as people are buying stuff (and I don't screw it up myself, which is not likely) I will always have a steady income and bills will get paid. Not to mention saving for what will be most important years from now which is college and more than likely weddings (although I swear I'm not rushing either one) only 35 but figure I'm getting to old for hunting that next job and don't think I would make it past another 10 years before I would be "broke down" from the manual labor and wanted to look for something I could do from here on. The thought of trying to start a new career after I've had my share of roofing for so long and by then WOULD be broke down made me start hearing "welcome to walmart" more often. That's just nit my idea of preparing for retirement shocked.pngshocked.png

Why do a pre-trip?

Funny thing is, if one of the " execs " kids was involved in an accident at another park they would be first to cry for an inspection interval report, go figure. Goes to show some people are more worried about money tI'll something like that happens. My brother laughs at me cause I check my wife's car and my truck almost daily and always listening to how it sounds. By during this often I know right when something isn't right ana like I've told him time and again, I have yet (knock on wood) to be stranded unless it was something I knew about abd haven't fixed it yet. And u can bet I knew 99% what was wrong when it happened. Of course it has nt been anything major or I would nt have been driving till it was fixed. So if I can ever make to trucking I will be inspecting daily, and most likely a good once over in between stops.

Anyone here driving for C.R.England

Prime will pay 43 CPM driving a light weight

well that was my first choice, but recruiter said they needed tax papers, etc to verify current employment and wouldn't take any notorized state men's from contractors of the part time employer. Kinda bummed me out but it is what it is. Guess that's the way they work or their "requirements". Was really hoping to start my career with prime :(

***MISSING PERSON***

***UPDATE***

Police: Remains of Missing Woman Found

DUBOIS - Police believe they found remains of 37-year-old Susan Bachman in the same area where she jumped from a moving car last July.

Pennsylvania State Police at DuBois told the family that a skull and jawbone found in that area is a tentative match for Susan. They matched dental records the family provided. State Police were preparing to do a cadaver dog search next Monday. They were figuring out a search area when they came across those body parts. The family does not believe there was any foul play.

Susan Bachman went missing back in July 2014. Her family was taking her to Clarion Psychiatric Center for a mental health evaluation when she jumped from a moving car off I-80. After that, her family drove across the country searching for her and took to social media to raise awareness to try and bring her home. The family says it is possible that she died from injuries suffered after she jumped out of that moving car.

Again, this is a tentative match. The family tells WTAJ those remains will be sent to a forensic lab in Lewisburg for confirmation.

This was unfortunate and all prayers go out to the family, but my question would be did no one go back to look for her after jumping out of the car. And if so how far could she gave gotten in the event she did lose her life due to the accident. Or did they find remains NEAR the general area and not actually in the said area.

Anyone here driving for C.R.England

9 month commitment to drive for them regularly. Only 6 month commitment if you are a veteran.

Starting pay for me back in 2013 was 25cents a mile solo or 30 cents split for teams.

It was good training. Had a brand new truck, they were okay for starting out. If you go with them I recommend finding a partner for the better pay.

were there any additional like dock pay, detention, layover, ect. Doing the numbers just with miles at .25 averaging 2500 miles is really low considering the deductions of taxes, tuition (if they take out for that then pay back when complete) not to mention taking out for groceries :). Dont think "momma" would be to pleased with 350-400 a week to help with bills. Hard to commit being away that much for that pay. I understand it would only be for limited time but WOW, how could a family get by with that. Me on the other hand if that's the only one willing to give me a shot am all for it but would definitely be ready to go on day 1 after 9 months. Just seems crazywtf-2.gif

Anyone here driving for C.R.England

Having a hard time finding what cr england starting pay is. The review must be a little dated as I have heard a few say they now only require 9 month contract, not sure if payments are deducted or not or if they are and then reimbursed for it after that. Review shows .26 pm but have heard others say .35 pm. Anybody know what the CURRENT pay is and any info on the contract for sponsored schooling is. 9 months seems to be hard to beat compared to other comp sponsored and have heard you will owe nothing for training after the 9 months is up. Any updates would be greatly appreciated. what trucks do they run and equipment, apu, power inverters, ect.

Anyone here driving for C.R.England

Hello everyone, as I am still waiting to hear from my Swift recruiter (did phone interview yesterday) I am still trying to weigh all options. Anyone on this site driving for C.R. England have any insight as to how they are liking the company, equipment, or any other info. They are still emailing me and hate to keep putting them off as I wait to hear from Swift but figured just in case. I called the recruiter from England back left message and emailed so still WAITING once more. Figure while I'm not busy I would see what u all thought about them. APU's, miles, pay, any policy for taking truck home ect.... thanks in advance

Also to add I live on the east coast if that makes a difference. Thanks again

Anyone here driving for C.R.England

Stevens transport

You have nothing to worry about went through security interview with swift and Stevens and I have a6 year old felony and there was nothing to it both these companies want to find reasons to hiree you not not to hire you

how long before u heard back from swift. Called yesterday left message and email and haven't heard back either way. This anticipation is driving me nuts :)

Stevens transport

Both companies are great starters I was accepted to both of their programs and driving for them but I chose Stevens and will be leaving may 3 for school. You have nothing to worry about I thought the same but I kept calling until I got the answer they haven't forgotten their swamped. I chose Stevens for 2 main reasons one is new equipment and great technology which tells me easier job and less likely to break down compared to older equipment. And too is hauling refrigeration food is always in demand means more miles and pay. I also spoke to one of their drivers who's been there 5 years and he's never touched a load

just filled their's out last night so will call them first thing in morning. Yeah those trucks definitely caught my eye and still loving the apu idea :) only down fall is pay seems to be lower than few others I been interested in. BTW do u know how strict they are on employment verification. Have a gap of 3 years under table pay but can provide plenty of notorized statements from contractors and acquaintances. Thanks again for the reply