Profile For The Persian Conversion

The Persian Conversion's Info

Missoula, MT

Experienced Driver

3 years, 2 months ago

The Persian Conversion's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

The Persian Conversion's Photo Gallery Group 1 of 7

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

1st Deaf Woman In Wisconsin, And Just The 5th In The Country, Receives Her CDL.

So that's great and all, but...

Regardless of how "heightened" her other senses may be, I don't really see how they can fully compensate for a lack of hearing. Am I the only one who realizes this?

Some scenarios to consider:

The engine or the transmission starts making a whining or grinding noise, signaling impending failure. How would she know about it before it was too late?

Cars passing her on the highway honk their horns at her to let her know she is dragging a pedestrian on her trailer bumper. She can't hear any of them. Or the pedestrian's screams.

A tire blows out and she thinks she just hit a bump because she didn't hear the pop.

These are just the first three examples I came up with off the top of my head. I'm sure there are better ones.

There are a million different ways hearing plays an important role in this job, and I just don't see how this can be considered safe.

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

Pistol carry in truck?

Requiring a permit to exercise a Constitutional right means you have already lost the right.

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

Why Is It... ( Fill in the blank )

Why is it that the moment you open your door or even crack your window at a customer, a fly or mosquito will inevitably find it's way into your cab, hide out for a while, then dramatically make his presence known to you 50 miles down the road?

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

Pistol carry in truck?

Hey everyone! I haven't been on in a few months, been busy with work, and I also kind of abandoned trucking truth in favor of firearm forums. I've been kind of obsessed with ensuring I have a proper "collection" due to recent political/social/global events...

Anyway I just logged on today for the first time in months and surprise surprise, the first post I see is about firearms!

I'll just relate a brief story of what happened to me a while back:

I was crossing into Canada, and I had just come off of home time a couple days prior. I was on a tight schedule and thus hadn't had a chance to unpack my clothing bag yet. It was sitting up on the shelf above my bed, among other bags/clothes.

So I got pulled in for a routine search, and as I was sitting inside the building waiting, two officers came inside and asked me to come with them. They led me down the hall and into a small, stark room that looked like an interrogation room. Then they proceeded to pat me down and check all my pockets.

I didn't understand why this was necessary. But when they finished, they explained that they had found an empty holster in my clothing bag. From their perspective, I could totally see why they were concerned. An empty holster would indicate that the gun it normally holds is currently elsewhere, and they must have assumed I took it out and concealed it on my person after I knew my truck would be inspected. And to make matters worse, they said it was sitting on top of the clothes in my bag, which would lend further credence to the idea that I had quickly grabbed the gun and then tried to hide the holster in the bag.

I explained what I thought had happened: I was packing my bag on the bed at home, and on another corner of the bed was some gun stuff I had been sorting through/organizing. My best guess was that my 1-year-old daughter had grabbed it and placed it in the bag without my noticing.

They continued asking me a bunch of questions though; clearly they weren't buying it. They asked where I keep my guns at home (in a safe), what kind of gun it was (that holster was for a Ruger .45), etc. Finally I think they could tell that I was sincere, especially after I told them they could call my wife to confirm the gun was there (they didn't). But they did take my phones and leave me alone in that room to sweat it out a while longer while they performed a much more thorough inspection of my truck, finally letting me go with a warning to "leave the holster at home next time."

Anyway, the point is that you never know when or where someone will decide they want to sift through your truck with a fine tooth comb. Can you imagine what would have happened if that holster had been full?

I agree with Brett. In 17 months on the road, I've never been in a situation where I wished I had a gun. It's just not really necessary out here, and there really aren't any benefits to outweigh the massive risks.

That being said though, I do think it's ridiculous that there are any rules against us carrying at all. I think the definition of "infringement" is quite clear, so I do believe that ANY law restricting ANY aspect of firearms or firearm ownership, no matter how small or trivial, is inherently unconstitutional.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Just got my CDL, but I didn't get hired/can't find a job because...

No. I had a misdemeanor MJ possession from 6 years ago and I got a job, and most of the other places I applied to didn't even mention it. The only place that actually used that as a disqualifier was Swift.

Since this thread is related, Ill ask this here instead of starting a new thread.

I have a misdemeanor Marijuana charge over 10 years old. probly closer to 15. But its still there on my record. will this keep me from getting hired? I'm signed up to start CDL training at a community college in 3 weeks, Via the workforce retraining grant. But will it be a waste of time with the pot charge on my record?

-ALERT- I-95 to close through Philadelphia

The best jokes are based on reality

smile.gif

There they go again. Democrats screwing more shshut uprofl-3.gif

That was a joke for those who would take offense.

Posted:  1 year, 11 months ago

O/O with Own Authority Refuses to pay wages.

Slash his tires.

I'm kidding of course. As painful as it will be, I have to agree with Brett. Just let it go. If you believe in karma, that might help you get over it quicker.

Posted:  1 year, 11 months ago

Does this sound like a good business plan?

Young man, you are the perfect example of the American Spirit.

I was really impressed reading your post. At a time when most of your peers are more concerned with looking cool on social media than planning for their futures, here you are busily making plans and preparing yourself to be successful.

I have absolutely no doubt that you will do what you say you will do, and do it at a level which far surpasses the typical truck driver.

I would say your "business plan" seems very solid. I like that you have already accepted the fact that you will need to put in several years as a company driver before you even consider starting out on your own. That shows patience, perseverance and good old common sense.

Have you considered starting out in flatbed? You sound like the kind of person who would enjoy it and excel at it. Plus it typically pays a little more, and you would gain valuable "load securement" experience to boot.

You have a bright future ahead of you. Keep at it and don't ever let yourself get discouraged. I know at that age it's easy to get impatient sometimes, but trust me, you have all the time in the world. If you invest in your future while you're young, it will pay off way more as you get older. And that's the path you're on now, so keep at it.

I look forward to seeing you out here someday!

When is it Ok?

Just curious, who changed your appointment time? And why did they change it to the next day when you already had an appointment scheduled for that night?

Posted:  1 year, 11 months ago

I just don't understand...

That same line of thinking could be applied to many cultural issues facing our country right now... good point.

I've only been out here six months and I'm already sick of this crap. Every time something like this happens it makes all of us look bad. The general public doesn't care about those of us who make the effort to pay attention and do our job right every time. Because of idiots like this and others who blatantly disregard the rules of the road on a daily basis, alot of people consider truck drivers some of the dumbest, rudest people on the planet. It just makes me sick.

Backing Practice™ 15

Lol it's good to see that not-so-great minds think alike!

Persian Conversion prescribes:

Go straight to the top and turn around. On your way back down, enter the lot from the top driveway apron, but then continue going south straight down through the lot, keeping as close to the docked trailers as possible. When you reach the second apron, go as far as you can then cut a sharp turn out into the street and go straight across (at a slight northward angle) into the lot on the opposite side until you're straight. Then you should be set up to back in at about a 20-30 degree angle, with a correction after your tractor clears the grass planter in order to come straight in to the door.

That's exactly what I did!

It didn't work. I pulled out to the street and started over.

rofl-3.gif

I think I'm done

I would see if there someone above your DM you can talk to regarding breakdown pay. Seems pretty arbitrary that just because the breakdown happened at your home terminal, you're not entitled to it. Sounds like they're giving you the runaround honestly. I would politely take it up the chain of command, all the way up to the president if necessary. I'm sure someone along the line will be distant enough from the day-to-day operations to see the big picture and understand why this is wrong.

Backing Practice™ 15

Sorry for posting so much, but I keep looking at this, and now I'm pretty confident that turning left into the opposite lot is the way to go. If you look closely you can see tire marks towards the southern end of that entrance which show that many other trucks have made that turn before.

Now that I think about it, I bet that's a good way to figure out tight backing situations. Just pull up the satellite view and search for the tire marks!

Backing Practice™ 15

Actually, looking at it again, you might be able to just turn left into that lot opposite your door directly from the street.

Getting past bad jobs

I was gonna chime in here, but as usual OS said it all perfectly. Allen, I hope you can swallow your pride and look past the way OS just basically *****-slapped you in order to see his words for what they are: tiny little golden nuggets of wisdom which could potentially alter the course of your career, if you take them to heart.

Backing Practice™ 15

Posted:  1 year, 11 months ago

Just a funny trucking picture to brighten your day

They don't just make planes... they make 3D planes.

Keen Transport

1775 Baseline Rd, Oswego, IL 60543

13603347_1080323172050014_47855770798923

I didn't know Caterpillar makes planes.All I've ever gotten out of Keen was Cat parts, in North Carolina and Texas. I guess that Illinois plant handles the aircraft.

Posted:  1 year, 11 months ago

Sensitive information over the net

...rest easy knowing that you're lost in the noise of the information of hundreds of millions of other ordinary people.

Dude, that is a perfect explanation! Well said.

Saying goodbye to OTR

How's the pay with them? Will you be taking a step up or down?

Posted:  1 year, 11 months ago

Ways to get Fired in Trucking?

Besides rolling the truck...

Actually, in my experience, rolling the truck doesn't necessarily mean you'll get fired!