Profile For Whistler

Whistler's Info

Houston, TX

Considering A Career

7 years ago

Whistler's Bio

I've been interested in driving a truck for a long time. It's only been a thought that has crossed my mind so often, and when it does, TruckingTruth is where I come to learn. Former serviceman, and now a "cube-head" office worker, it's getting to the point where I'm second guessing my career choices and looking out into the unknown abyss at the possibilities. Sitting behind a desk day in and day out doing the same thing each and every day is no way to spend your life I've come to realize. I once thought the office life was for me, but it appears I may have been mistaken. I'm ready for a change.

To that end, I'm once again entertaining the thought and possibility of becoming a driver. While I know it isn't as easy as it looks, takes hard work and dedication, not to mention sacrifices in terms of family as just a few to mention off the top of my head, that doesn't turn me off one bit. I hope to try out this new "Training Program" on the site, see how it goes, learn some and see what happens from there.

Texas permit ; Section 14 Special Requirements

Man Matt, I wished I would have found this before this morning. I too, had a similar experience this morning. I'm glad, well.. sort of, that I'm not the only one. I felt like crap on the bike ride home. I passed the first, and felt all good. Then, BAM.. nope. Folks, please heed this information. Section 14 of the Texas CDL Handbook is a MUST for studying as it isn't covered by High Road.

Good luck!

Listed Company-Sponsored Training not offered any longer!

I think he's talking about the following dated periods, maybe:

Listed Company-Sponsored Training not offered any longer!

The new rules standardizing cdl testing,has made things more difficult,for out of state cdl testing. Your pretty much going to have to train,in your own state.If you live in a state without a company sponsored program,expect a lot of headaches.

I'm slowly starting to realize that, XCELERATIONRULES. Maybe I'll get lucky and make something happen and find the exception. I'm looking into a Truck Driving CDL Course offered by a local Community College starting here in about a month. VA Benefits should make that rather easy to obtain. Gotta put the hammer down as I've already put in my two-weeks at my current place. Time to start bashing heads. Or applications.

Sure thing, Brett! I didn't see that either until you mentioned it. Glad to be of service. Least I can do for as much information as your site has given me over the months.

Listed Company-Sponsored Training not offered any longer!

Oh, and yes. You're right. They still list USA Truck (I applied last night to them specifically for USA Truck) and PAM. Maybe she was just confused? Haha. I don't know.

Listed Company-Sponsored Training not offered any longer!

Driver Solutions is the company that handles Company-Sponsored Training for PAM Transport and USA Truck.

The Driver Solutions Website still lists both companies and we haven't heard anything about them cancelling either program.

I know someone had recently said that Knight Transportation is only recruiting out of Arizona for their training program but that hasn't been confirmed yet either.

We're going to be updating that entire section pretty soon and we'll get the scoop on these changes.

Awesome! Thanks, Brett. I can personally confirm per the recruiter that I spoke with this morning, that USA Truck doesn't facilitate training through Driver Solutions. I mention this, is because after she mentioned that they didn't offer Company-Sponsored training any longer, I specifically asked about Driver Solutions. Just something to consider and/or look into!

Listed Company-Sponsored Training not offered any longer!

Hey, all. Just a quick heads up for anyone looking into either Knight Transportation, or USA Trucking. Neither are offering company-sponsored training for folks in Texas. In fact, both I spoke with this morning do not offer it at all (Per recruiters)! Now, to be fair, Knight's recruiter did specifically say they're not offering training to people in Texas (he oddly worded it so I'm not sure if I just read into it or not).

Just a heads up for folks looking at those companies and live in Texas! Back to the drawing board.

Help! Can't obtain U.S. Passport!

Okay, disregard. I panicked. Haha. Chilling out for a few and looking into it, I think I'm good. A few such as Knight, don't require a passport. Just have to find another company that'll stack up to Prime. We'll see!

Help! Can't obtain U.S. Passport!

Hey, folks. So, I'm in a tough spot. Long story short, I contacted Prime Inc. and got scheduled for orientation on the 24th of this month. I've put in my two weeks at my current job, and ready to get the ball rolling. But! I just learned something a few minutes ago that puts a HUGE kink in all the plans.

Apparently (and I should've done more research beforehand, and that's my fault) you can't get a U.S. Passport with back child support owed. I hit a rough patch some years back, and let it build up a bit. More than what is allowable for you to get a U.S. Passport. However, I'm slowly paying it down, but it's to much to pay all at once in order to get a U.S. Passport.

So, I need some knowledgeable folks to give me some advice here, please! So, what're my options? I chose Prime for the company sponsored training regime they have and the minimal cost out of pocket, and the pay. Obviously that's out of the question, since they require a U.S. Passport. Is this standard in the industry? Am I always going to have to have a U.S. Passport for OTR? I'm currently looking into other companies that I can make happen quickly, that're both decent in pay, and preferably offer company-sponsored training. Can anyone recommend one that not only has decent pay, company-sponsored training, and NOT require a U.S. Passport?

As a side note, yes. I'm doing my own research as I await someone's reply. But I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. Thanks in advance for ANY insight you fine folks can give me.

~Whistler

Start School Monday. Have a family and need lots of home time. Roehl?

Congratulations on the career, bud. Me, I'm sort of in the same boat and my mind is in the same place. I threw in an application with Prime Inc this week, then talked to a recruiter the next day and I was in. This was yesterday. I've yet to give her a leave date for orientation, simply because I'm not sure that my mind is 100% completely committed yet for the same reasons as yourself. I asked her to give me a few days to mull it over and I'll get back with her. I've got a woman of about 2 years, whom has three boys, and I'll be honest.. if it wasn't for her, I'd be leaving Sunday.

She swears up and down she can handle it, that she's not worried and knows that OTR won't last forever (she knows I want to try to land a local LTL gig later on down the line for some more home time). She's crazy supportive, but not to excited about it. She knows I hate being in an office all day and everyday like I am currently, and she knows I've always wanted to be behind the wheel. But it's like I mentioned in another thread, I'm giving up a very good for-sure career, for an unknown. I've got no idea what this chapter will bring if I pull the trigger and call the recruiter. I'll be giving up a lot.

There's not much else to my post other than to let you know, you're not the only one, bud. I'm sure there's plenty of other people considering the very things that we are now. I suppose the way I look at it is much like others, a little sacrifice now, for a better life later. *Shrug*

Does Prime Inc hire from Houston, Texas?

To answer the questions about home time and if you can get hired, as long as you are in a location that Prime hires from you will be fine. Just because they don't have a terminal or drop yard in your back yard does not mean they won't hire you.

I live in Chesapeake VA and the closest terminal to me is in Pittston PA (about 8 hours from my home). As long as you have a safe place to park the truck or drop the trailer (must be a secure lot) you are good to go. For those times when you don't have a secure place to park your trailer, as long as Prime has a shipper/receiver in your general area that you can drop the trailer at (I have several within 30 miles of my home) you will be good.

So as you can see, you do not have to be close to a terminal in order to work for Prime.

Ernie

Very much appreciated, Ernie. Makes me feel a bit better about it.

I appreciate the responses, folks.

Does Prime Inc hire from Houston, Texas?

I'm one of those people who gets uncomfortable giving up a sure deal for unknowns. I put in my resignation for August 29th at my job of 3.5 years, I'm leaving the city I love but have no address in to share my mom's address for this job. I love my current job but it barely pays the bills and I've beome complacent. It's super scary but soooo exciting!

Man, I hear you on that one. Aside from the woman and kids aspect, I've got a damn good thing going. It's a career and not just a job. Hell, I work from arguably the biggest and baddest corporation in the world. It's a very good living and I'm very good at what I do. Simply put like I said though, I just don't enjoy it. What's the point in hustling for a great living if you just don't look forward to waking up everyday because you hate it? That's no way to live in my opinion.

But, you're right. It's definitely an unknown. Am I going to pass the test? Can I do the backing? Trifecta? Can I be away from family and friends? Give up nearly all aspects of social life? Make enough money? Find that "ace in the hole" $70,000+/year LTL gig? Will it be all I expect it to be? Am I mentally ready for the challenges that I both know of, but more importantly, don't know of?

All of that runs through my mind everyday. It's scary as sh*t but exciting as all hell at the same time. That's precisely why I've stalked these forums for so long. I've got to be at least somewhat sure, that my decision will be the right one. Even though I know on some level, I won't know that until I go for it. My career as it sits, does more than it's fair share of paying the bills and giving me what I need and most of what I want in terms of money.

What it boils down to I think is, something another member of the forum once said. I believe. I've protected this country, and now I want to see it. Explore it. Experience it like it should be. It's definitely not just about the money. Sort of. But, more-so the experiences that come along with it.

Will I ever have the balls (sorry ladies!) to do it? Only time sitting it this boring office will tell.

Does Prime Inc hire from Houston, Texas?

Some people also bring their trucks to large boat and vehicle storage facilities and pay a fee to store it there. The only info I have about Prime that's not on this website is that they only hold an application for 30 days. If you don't want to go in within the 30 days from application, wait to apply.

Depending on family situation and stuff, you might not even need to take home time at your home address if you don't want to. I don't have any attachments to the address I'll be borrowing as my home address so I plan to take home time all over the country.

That's actually very good information that I wasn't aware of, and I appreciate it. I keep inching closer and closer to finally pulling that trigger and I have a feeling if I do, it'll be the moment I say f**k it and go for it and leave ASAP. It's crazy exciting thinking about it, and the longer I stick at home in my office day in and day out, the closer I get to just doing it.

As for the family situation, yeah. I'm a tad different. Girlfriend of two years with three kids which is pretty serious I'd say. I'd be coming all the way back here for the family time. Then again, I'd be stupid to pass up some "me time" around the country when I get it (come on Vegas! - Haha). But that's the main reason I asked. Is simply due to when I want home time, I'd have to come all the way back to Houston and I was hoping that Prime doesn't consider this to far out of the way.

I'll tell you though, it's taking everything in my power nearly everyday not to just put in that application, and bug the hell out of them until they take me. It's just a huge change, obviously, and I'd be giving up quite a bit at my current job. It's still a damn good living, I just don't enjoy it. Who knows. We'll see what life brings in the near future.

Does Prime Inc hire from Houston, Texas?

The closest Prime drop to my home address is 3.5 hours away and they weren't having any issues with it. I'll be reapplying in a couple weeks here but, yeah, they didn't mention any problems. I'm not sure how I'll actually work out getting home from the drop if I care to take home time at home but, I'll work that out later. Maybe store a car at the yard and drive from there.

Actually, that's not a bad little plan. Didn't consider that. I've got a Harley and that's it, so storing it wouldn't be a problem. So long as Prime doesn't have an issue with my home location, I think that answers my question. Much appreciated.

If anyone has any information on the contrary, it'd be appreciated as well.

Does Prime Inc hire from Houston, Texas?

Hello there, folks. Long time TT snooper here deciding to finally throw out a post. Simply put, I've thought about trucking for a long time and looked into it on and off over the years. I've given it more thought as of late, as I'm just simply fed up with the office life and not happy with it. I come from a military background, so that to this isn't really cutting the cake for me. So, my gears are spinning with the possibility of truckin' again.

I've researched all the big companies for paid training, and came to the conclusion that Prime Inc. would like be a good fit for me for a number of reasons. However, I've noticed that the closest terminal to me in Houston, Texas would be their Denver location if I recall. I know they have drop yards all over, but it still begs me to ask the question, would they have any issues on-boarding me so far from a terminal? Is there a drop yard anywhere near Houston? Anyone else live in Houston or the surrounding areas have any issues with hiring on with Prime?

I believe this is the only question I couldn't find answered anywhere (without giving them a call), as I'm usually a search junkie and find things myself, and figured I'd throw it out there. Anyways, any insight or knowledge as to any issues with my location and Prime Inc, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

If you don't have a solid work history, try some where else for right now. I talked to Prime today about the app I put in last week. I was not approved due to me taking the last 7-8 months off to explore Colorado. The woman said because they are getting a huge influx of apps right now, that they are being very selective in their decisions.

Oh I've got solid work history. Been working for Apple Inc. for the past 3 years or so now and US Military before that. I'm good to go there. Just worried about home time and whether or not they'll consider me given where the terminal is.

Does Prime Inc hire from Houston, Texas?

Thanks!