Profile For Charles M.

Charles M.'s Info

Athens, GA

Preparing For School

6 years, 7 months ago

Charles M.'s Bio

an old dog about to learn a whole new set of tricks; starting a brand new career in the trucking industry at the ripe old age of 62

Leaving for Celadon/Indianapolis Saturday

C-Day approaches, and I'm finally starting my new path. I settled on Celadon for a number of reasons and, in spite of some of the negative press here on TT, i think I made a good choice. It was tough, running over the pros and cons, but after far too much second guessing myself, I decided to quit stressing over it and go with Celedon. The bottom line is that any school is going to be challenging in it's own way and though Celadon's school seems to be going through some growing pains, from what I've read on this site and talking to others, they seem to be concerned with their students getting pretty good training at lealst as much as other company-sponsored programs, and maybe a tad better. Yeah, might be crowded, might be a little frustrating, but they don't come across as indifferent as some, and anything is what you make of it

Right now, I'm excited, nervous, scared, and optimistic, as anyone in his right mind would, but I think if I just apply myself, keep a good attitude, and maintain some confidence in both myself and the school, I think everything is gonna be alright. Anyway, wish me luck.

Rookie team drivers

Thanks for this info-- I start school next week in Indianapolis and I'm facing 120000 of this as part of my indentured servitude to Celadon

Its official I am leaving for school..

Good luck!

Old Geezer looking to re-energize

I am really happy to read all of this. At 62, I am starting over after having been a photographer/videographer for nearly thirty years. The economy and a couple of other factors (a, shall we say, "strategic" blunder on my part), but not excluding blatant ageism in my former profession, had me looking for another path. nice to have the potential of being valued for my abilities and not looked at as an over-the-hill dinosaur. I'm looking forward to the next adventurous chapter in my life

Netflix on phone

I do it, but it's most practical if you have access to wi-fi

Posted:  5 years ago

Celadon indy school starts tomorrow.

Great! please keep us up to speed

Posted:  5 years ago

Celadon indy school starts tomorrow.

Yes, please keep us posted; I am especially interested as I am starting there in Indianapolis in two weeks (was supposed to start in a week, but had to postpone). lol- Good luck to us all!

Reports from Company-sponsored training: Quality Drivers Indianapolis IN

This is encouraging-- I go there in one week

BlueTooth in the cab

any recommendations on a decent headset that works well in the cab environment?

Starting over

I turn 62 in two weeks and I'm happy to hear we greybeards might be valued in this industry, because elsewhere there's a lot of age discrimination. It may be recruiter BS, but three recruiters I talked to talked about people in their 70s getting approved for training

POLL: OTR Rookie and experienced drivers

Interesting the number of #4 replies

Posted:  5 years ago

Buy 500 gal of fuel at Pilot and flying J, get 1 free shower a day.

How do shower credits normally work? do you have to buy a certain amount of fuel to get a shower?

Cheating?

i agree, and it was TT that made me decide to go into trucking. TT gave what I felt was a balanced picture-- not a bed of roses, not a bed of nails, but certainly not what a few of the other sites had been spewing

Posted:  5 years ago

Positive side of team driving?

Lol- thanks for the insight; i am told that at Celadon training, you can kinda sorta pick a co-driver from among the other noobs for when you you come out ofsix week on the road training. Still a crap shoot probably, with hopefully slightly less crap

Posted:  5 years ago

Positive side of team driving?

are there any positive aspects to team driving? I'm referring to team driving with just another driver who is not a spouse or significant other

Posted:  5 years ago

Anyone have experience with CR England???

Despite some negative posts, take a look at Celadon

Ignore horror stories?

in less than two weeks I'm gonna be at Celadon's training facility in Indianapolis and some negative posts have popped up; should I ignore these and just try to do the best I can?

Posted:  5 years ago

Failed a pre-trip test today. :(

Good luck. Has anyone else had problems with this guy or mentioned their concerns to the school?

Reports from Company-sponsored training: Quality Drivers Indianapolis IN

i'm headed up to Indy in a week and a half for training and I get both sides of the coin. My impression about most of the schools is that your best learning comes when you're out with your trainer for six weeks, but you you still have to get your CDL-A before you can do that. Being a complete rookie (hell, I've never even sat in tractor), will I get enough time behind the wheel to be able to pass the driving test? Just my humble opinion, but I think even with this less than sterling report, I'm still better off than with the other two choices of company schools I had.

Tough choice to make Swift Vs. Celadon for CST

An FYI for everyone about Celadon.

I talked to my recruiter today to get my bus ticket and final preps.

She knows one of the reasons I picked Celadon was because I want solo and want to go coast to coast.

This is the last class that after graduation and training will be allowed to drive solo. Starting next class, all graduates HAVE to work as teams after training. At least for the required 120,000 miles. After that, you can go solo she thinks.

I asked her if Celadon was going to a team operation only. She said no. This was just for their school graduates and only till after their required time after training.

I will keep everyone posted if any more information comes my way.

Keep it safe out there. Joe S

Very important question then, if your required the 120,000 miles but are team driving does that mean you finish paying back faster or is it 120k with you behind the wheel?

Now I don't work for them but it should be just on your time. Which means your miles drove under your login. 60,000 miles is pretty easy to do and it wouldn't make it "worth it" to them. I mean, you can easily hit that in 6 months and a 6 month contract is unheard of.

So no personal experience with them here. But I can guarantee its 120 not split.

here's how I understand it (starting school Oct 13): you still owe them a year , , but you can either team the first six months (or 120,000) or the full twelve months (240,000)