Comments By KH

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/bluekw.jpg avatar
  • KH
  • Comments:

Posted:  1 month, 4 weeks ago

Trucker, hauling USPS, discussing his ballot delivery experience.

Lol, I read it 3 times trying to make sense of it. Then I realized that it's actually text from a Reuters article from like a year ago, but some words have been changed, sort of like if you used google translate to translate it to a different language and back. Anyway, the bottom line is that I think Kristina's a spammer or something. I think they do this sometimes to try to make an account look legit.

Posted:  2 months ago

Wide swing on a right hand turn.

We all know how it is, some people are going to be upset if they're delayed no matter what the reason. As for "letting them know they're number one", I've decided to tell myself that waving and smiling means the same thing. So I wave and smile while I'm thinking the other thing.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Senators propose legislation to promote women in the trucking industry

OK, so I guess what I was wondering is, what will this legislation be able to do? If there are good reasons for fewer women in trucking, maybe it’s just the way things are.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Senators propose legislation to promote women in the trucking industry

Interesting. What is stopping women from wanting to be truck drivers? Is it just that they're not comfortable because they are so few women already doing it? A job with one of the lowest percentage of women is mechanic, is it the same thing there? Or is it something about the job itself?

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Air brake question for NJ CDL / CLP holders

Hi Jim. Yeah, I think some people missed where you said you hadn't taken any written tests yet. Looking at the NJ web site, it looks like what you do is pay for a test receipt (which you've shown us above), and that lets you takes tests for 180 days (or until you pass everything and get your CLP). My guess is that they use that receipt to keep track of your endorsements and restrictions until you have an actual permit. So it would make sense for it to start out showing the restrictions until you pass the corresponding written test. Anyway, I agree with Davy, I think you're good and you will have an opportunity to take the air brake written test when you show up for your appointment.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Had a moment today.

Nice job avoiding an accident. Unfortunately, as I'm sure we all know, between confused people and people who have to get there before you, it makes sense to be especially careful going through tolls.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Want to start a new career, Unemployed for almost 3 yrs. anyway to get around that?

Ha ha, that should have been "over the road", not "other the road".

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Hi James, I don't have any special knowledge of the hiring process, but I think there's two reasons the need your job history. One is the same reason any other employer would ask, the other is that for drivers they are required to verify what you've been doing, for the past 3 years if you've never had a driving job before, otherwise for the past 10 years. I would think in either case that proof that you were is school would be good enough, so I wouldn't worry too much. As for jobs, the large companies always seem to be hiring, but you would need to go "other the road", that is, stay out for some period of time, living in the truck. Also, I'm not an expert on the economy or anything, but I suspect when people get vaccinated and the COVID thing gets under control, there may be an increase in hiring.

In any case, don't worry. If one company isn't interested, another one will be. Apply to as many places as you can find.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Do you think there is a truck parking shortage?

It's a good thing there's also a driver shortage, otherwise things would be really bad.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

I Blame This Website

I look at that and think "at least I know I'm not somewhere I shouldn't be taking a truck".

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Should I keep my CDL?

There’s no reason I can think of not to keep it. Someone just asked about self-certifying as “excepted intrastate” so that you don’t need a current medical card. Of course it severely limits the circumstances where you could drive a cmv, so it’s pretty much just to keep from being downgraded. But you can get a new medical and change back to “non-excepted interstate” if you need to in the future. I suppose another issue might be if it costs more to renew a cdl, in which case you’d have to decide if it’s worth it when the time comes. But like others have said, there are cdl jobs other than driving a tractor-trailer, like delivery, trash, dump truck, cement truck, bus driver.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Questions For All

Why do you want to know this? What purpose will it serve?

My guess would be that someone is thinking of developing an app for truckers, but doesn’t know what it should do.

Posted:  2 months, 4 weeks ago

Moving soon, which state should I get cdl in?

Not meaning to argue with any of the above, but to answer your question, I believe you only need to show up in person at a Texas DMV within 90 days of moving to Texas, pay a fee and take a vision test, and you can transfer a CDL without doing any retesting.

Posted:  2 months, 4 weeks ago

Excepted intrastate to avoid renewing DOT medical Card Washington state

I was in the same situation, but I live in Maine so I don't know how your state might be different. But they have a form you have to fill out to "self certify" and I filled one out choosing "excepted intrastate", otherwise they would have downgraded my license. Then when I got another card I submitted another form. Some companies want you to have a card already, and some will get you a physical even if you already have a card.

Posted:  2 months, 4 weeks ago

I really really really hate team driving

Zach, sorry to hear that you're throwing in the towel, but I respect your decision. As others said, it sounds like strange timing seeing as the co-driver you were complaining about just left, but maybe there's more to it than you're telling us. In any case, good luck in the future.

Posted:  3 months ago

I really really really hate team driving

Sorry, I wanted to add to my response to save anyone the trouble of replying: when I went to reply to Zach I was going to suggest that he makes some mistakes so he shouldn't be so hard on someone else who does. But I decided not to bother. In any case, PJ posted that maybe this isn't the platform for the kind of thing Zach posted, and maybe that's the answer.

Posted:  3 months ago

I really really really hate team driving

What I’m hearing is a search for validation. You just want everyone to chime in and sympathize with how bad your plight is....

I don't see anything wrong with that. Some people just like some empathy and encouragement to help get through a bad situation. There's nothing forcing people to read his post or respond.

I see a lot wrong with it. True sympathy helps a person get out of their situation, otherwise it isn't sympathetic at all. If all we do is provide validation to complaints, we've done nothing at all. I call it misguided sympathy if all we do is pat a person on the back and give them false hope that it will get better. Trucking can be difficult. We prepare people for that reality all the time. Though difficult, it isn't impossible. Nor is it unbearable. We have all been through the types of difficulties Zach has. I worked at Western Express. I know how it is. I rose above all the whining and complaining. It changed my career and put me on a fast track to success.

Some of us have offered both empathy and advice. We have even tried to inspire him to dig deeper and take action that will produce results. We've done those things because we know the path out of despair. If we allow him to keep being angry about his DM treating him like a moron while he himself claims his co-drivers are morons then we have done him a great disservice.

You are right when you say

There's nothing forcing people to read his post or respond.

But the reality is that he posts this information because he wants help. You can let him cry on your shoulder if you want. All it will do is give you a wet shoulder, and make you feel better about yourself. We actually would like to pull him up out of the pit of despair he is in. We hope to provide him with some actual help. We would like to help him feel better about his abilities, and gain some confidence as a new trucker. Some times that takes a little "tough love."

Well, like you said, you've already offered advice and help. But sometimes there just isn't anything that can be done for the moment. You are assuming that if he comes back and posts again, then he didn't understand what you said or chose not to do anything. That isn't necessarily the case. It could be that he just would like someone to say "Yeah that sucks. Hang in there".

Posted:  3 months ago

I really really really hate team driving

Posted:  3 months ago

I really really really hate team driving

Zach, I feel your pain. That's a crappy situation to be in. Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with some venting about it, but then again this isn't my forum so I can't say what's appropriate here and what's not. Anyway, there's an obvious advantage to teams for a company, so I'm sure that's why some people get forced into it even if they asked to be solo. This seems to me like a job where you shouldn't have to team with anyone you aren't comfortable with. It's too dangerous to be forced to be with someone you don't trust. Anyway, I hope you stick it out. Even if you can't figure out how to get them to let you go solo, you'll eventually have other options.

BTW, in another thread I expressed some surprise because you were told by G-Town and I think another moderator that they didn't think you were cut out for trucking. I guess that's the "heat" that was mentioned above? First, I think it's a little thin-skinned to consider it "heat" because someone doesn't completely agree with you. Second, I didn't even disagree with what was said, I only thought that basically saying "just quit now" was bad advice and not in line with what I usually see on this forum. But again, not my forum.

Posted:  3 months ago

Vaccine Eligibility for Truckers

It goes by state, I believe. The phases are a CDC recommendation that I'd guess that most states are following, but you'd have to check for info for a given state. I live in Maine and I know they have said they will only vaccinate residents since the vaccine is being distributed based on population, but I guess that doesn't mean that there aren't states that will vaccinate visitors. I looked at the info for Virginia, and it looks like transportation workers would be phase 1C, and all counties are currently in phase 1B. In any case, you should probably look at the info from individual states that you are curious about.

I found this page with links to the info for each state, in case that helps: State-by-State Guide to COVID Vaccine Information