Comments By Pick/Grin

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/flag.jpg avatar
  • Pick/Grin
  • Comments:

Advice on heavy load please

Went from a 15K load of car parts and electronics to a 40K load of paper rolls.

I haul paper at least once a week, so this last load threw me off once I got into the hills of NJ.

I could fly through gears with the first one, felt almost empty.

My State forbids CDL Training Programs to Teach Use of Jake Brake

It wasn't covered in IN, so I didn't fully understand it when I actually got to use one. I didn't realize that rpm's need to be around 1250 to prevent potential damage, so in my first week I went through TN hitting 1600 but luckily I read the manual and was a little more perceptive afterwards haha

Got a ticket

Interesting question. I have had one ticket in the past 25 years -- I got it in July 2013, going 15 over on a desolate stretch of Wyoming highway -- i didn't see that the speed limit had dropped from 75 to 65 so instead of going 80 in a 75, I was stopped for going 80 in a 65. And now Brett says that 15 over is considered reckless.. Now I'm worried that will knock me out of this whole process. But I did indicate that on my application so maybe if it was a deal breaker, they wouldn't have called me in the first place?

It wouldn't call if they didn't want you, I would not think much of it and pursue the opportunity!

Talking to the Random Trucker

Thank you for asking this question Magoo. I have been wondering the same. However, I would like to ask as a female can I do this without being confused with a professional 'lady'?

Be blunt, if you ask the question without an introduction, they will know right off the bat that your intentions are legitimate.

Talking to the Random Trucker

I ask all the time about Florida companies, where I might be able to work some ways down the road. Especially auto haulers, bull haulers, and all that specializes stuff. I write them down as well, I've got a whole list of places I look into in order to see what options I have locally and regionally. It's as simple as: "ay yo what it do boss man, lemme ask you a question"

And yes, I do speak like that.

Company Sponsored CDL school hiring from Florida?

I believe there is a school in Milton, Florida called TDI. I went to their school in Sellersburg, Indiana. A lot of companies will pre-hire if you go through TDI, I went with the company Roehl even though I live down in PBC.

Are trucking companies this bad ???

Hard work goes a long way. Got a new dispatcher, I called him up to settle some appointment business and he asked "are you a runner? what areas do you prefer? when are usually up?"

I said hell yeah, anywhere, and as early as possible. I've logged over 1840 miles in four days, which is pretty good considering my goal was 450 miles a day.

A couple of weeks ago, I bought a CB off another company driver and he told me about a certain run for Volkswagen. Apparently, loads for Volkswagen are prized in this company since the load itself is never above 15k and the miles are usually over 700. Being theft sensitive and very specific about times, not too many drivers are assigned loads for them. I'm not even 3 months in solo, and they hand me the assignment! I feel like I'm doing really good because the loads I've been getting have been awesome. These guys are treating me right, it all depends on how positive you are and how willing you are to literally go the extra mile. Don't you worry too much about the naysayers, I would imagine they are either lazy drivers or crying woe is me and claiming some sort of false persecution.

Is long-haul driving health a serious issue?

First few posts have me thinking of bacon... and there's a Country Pride about 500 feet behind me...

Health doesn't seem to be a concern for most. I smoke, dip, drink a lot of caffeine, and sit on my rear all day. I just walked up a hill to use the restroom here and I was out of breath when I got up to the top. Healthy food is pricey and you don't have many options for relief as far as bodily functions go. Sometimes it's a bottle, sometimes it's 50 miles to the next toilet, and in some situations where time is short, you would hold off for as long as possible.

That darned clock lol

Dispatchers should be able to work around the little booboos. If you only get a few hours back, remind them so they don't stick you with something impossible.

I had a day where I'd only get three hours total of drive time in, called dispatch, and they switched my load for something more manageable. If you see a potential problem, send a message in as soon as possible. They err much like us, so plan on them not noticing your lack of hours.

Truck Drivers In Cold Weather

I'm a tractor supply kinda guy. Schmidt is an awesome brand, brought my hoodie with me, plan to bring my overalls eventually too. Heavy duty, kept me warm during the Kentucky snow.

When I was a firefighter in KY, I'd sometimes rely on my Schmidt clothing for dry brush and field fires. Just like carhartt, but a little cheaper.

Jack Cooper Transport

Talked to a driver for them. 15 years of driving and he said he loves the company. All auto, and he was payed percentage, hotels paid for since he drove a daycab, good hometime. Sounded like a sweet deal.

Thoughts On A Female Driver?

More power to a successful woman. I'm a traditional guy, but I think I have a thing for women that can outdo me. Especially behind the wheel of a rig haha!

Melton is hiring!

Talked to an oldboy from TN about Melton. He said they're doing him right with pay and miles. Said I'd do well to consider them in the future. Not interested right this second, but anyone know if they hire down in south FL?

Why are some drivers so miserable?

A man does it for thirty years and his family grows without him. He can't do anything else for work because his skills only apply to one specific industry. He could go local, but his family is too rooted in an area where there aren't any positions. He didn't expect the economy to go to crap so many years later and never saved up to retire so he's gonna have to work til his last day.

From what I've heard from older guys. I don't wanna be like that...

The ‘Future’ Of Trucking...In 1964

But I like my overalls :(

Humbled. But Ready!

In the Atlanta airport right now actually. I like the city, but this place is insane haha

Keep at it man, gotta keep those good vibes. When you make friends and one guy messes up, the rest of the group reassures and gets him back in the right mindset. You'll soon be behind the wheel, and it is a scary feeling. But when everybody's keeping each other in high spirits, you'll get comfortable very fast.

I still keep in touch with two buds from up in Kentucky. We went to CDL school together and went our separate ways, seeing whose landed the best job, whose got the nicest truck, the best loads. Friendly competition keeps a guy on his feet you know!

Ready to go to court

Look, I dislike Patrick as much as the next guy...

But don't you guys think we're acting a little immature here? We're getting ourselves to his level when we should be the adults not the children. Lets point him in the right direction using our wisdom and knowledge, if he doesn't listen then so be it - but insulting the man on a personal level makes us the goofball, not him (in my opinion).

He's a young man in his 20's, how many of you were foolish and acted stupid when you were his age?

I'm 22 and have so far been a firefighter, a lumper, worked in a (violent) nightclub, and have done quite a bit of work with a heroin addicts in rehabilitation, among various other odd jobs. So, not I.

I don't have the best gig, but it's a start, and complaining about every little bump and bruise makes a guy bitter. If I got fired, I'd accept it and scramble to get back to work asap, not go on a woe-me-rant.

I have a few questions????

For managing hours, I learned real fast after hitting my 70. If you can keep it below ten a day, you'll be good, but planning takes a lot. You need to know where you're starting, where you're going, what roads you're taking, and where you're shutting down. Typically I'll pick truck stops that I've been to, and I'll always keep in mind to pick two backups just in case. It does no good to plan a whole day and nothing more, because if you've got an hour left and the truck stop is packed, you'll need to go elsewhere.

So, plan for the worst everyday. Don't plan to go through big city with only 2 on the clock. If you have to stop early because you think/know you won't make it, don't fret. Use one of your backups. Always have a plan b, you will find yourself needing to resort to alternatives from time to time.

If you can go on a break, do so. When I get to a dock area, I check-in and immediately go off duty once I'm backed up to a dock. If you let your clock stay on duty when you're not, you're just wasting precious minutes. Always be mindful of what your status is set to, because there's nothing worse than getting back in your truck and seeing that your clock has been set to on-duty driving for two hours. So, be cheap with your hours and aim to be as time efficient as possible.

Hope this helps a little. I don't have experience like some of the other guys here, but one of he first things that I learned is that time is money, and you need to know how to make the most of it.

Facebook?

Jack Harsch if you don't mind looking it up. Not sure what the location says for my profile, either Florida or Kentucky.

Have a great Labor Day Weekend everyone!

1bf50744ebd63ff4b54dd1545ed423df.jpg

This is true, but unfortunately many shippers and receivers don't seem to share this same work ethic on holidays...

I am on a 3 stop delivery in western Oregon, the second drop of which was made Friday around 1pm. But since the third stop does not accept Friday deliveries, is closed on weekends, and has Labor Day off, I had no choice but to park the truck, rent a car and drive home for the weekend. I'll be back on Monday night to finish up the load Tuesday morning.

Happy Labor Day!

My first holiday on the job and I got held up for six hours at the consignee a few days ago. So many short runs since Thursday, I haven't left the Chicago-Milwaukee area. Work is work, but it's kind of a bummer when you have dinner, breakfast, and another consecutive dinner at the same truck stop. Oh well, I'll be home Tuesday so I'll hold my tongue. Drive safe y'all!