Comments By The Little Trucker

https://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy7/Powerhouse_Brown/Mobile%20Uploads/FB_IMG_1479183552162_zpsqbmmfun8.jpg avatar

A little advice please

Or how about another Swift truck from Ft. Wayne to Chicago or wherever you're heading next?

I think you're asking another driver to go to the Greyhound station, grab the stuff and take it to the Chicago terminal.

Sorry, but honestly it would be hard to find a trucker who would take their own time to do that. Remember there's no money in this good deed, and it will affect their drive time clocks and cost the driver time, too.

Swift and must other companies are not quite that close a family. LittleTrucker is basically on his own here.

Just saw this. Not only would another driver most likely not be willing to do this, but also, Greyhound will not release my bag to anyone other than me. Btw, I know you would have no way of knowing this but I'm a she lol. A female trucker

A little advice please

So how's it going? Did you get your stuff ok?

No not yet. But at least they're working on it now. I got my Driver Leader to conference call my trainer's dispatcher and we're seeing some results.

A little advice please

LittleTrucker, the following idea is not new to any planner: Suppose you are dropping in Chicago now, and you get a pre-plan from Gary, IN, to Toledo, OH. You just swing through Ft Wayne on the way! This would work for other destinations as well.

I'm home in Memphis for the weekend. I regularly get loads like this: pick up in Houston, TX, (stop in Memphis, though it's truly not on a direct route) deliver in Atlanta, GA.

Your DM can add a day or a half day to the schedule to give you the extra time. Your mentor shouldn't grumble too much.

So you're saying just go get it? They won't care?

Air brakes test....ugh

As side note, I'm doing real good today!

I don'tknow you, but I believe in you! I've seen your posts so I know that your muy inteligente! Little ol me made it through, and if I can do it so can you. Take a deep breath, take a mini break if needed, and dive back in! You got this!

*you're

Air brakes test....ugh

As side note, I'm doing real good today!

A little advice please

TLT: Where exactly are you right now in relation to your luggage and where are you headed with your Trainer?

We are in Chicago and we deliver in Chicago on the 4th. That's the frustrating thing. So far we have not been so close to Indiana. We've been to NJ, Michigan, etc. Right now, we are just sitting at a truck stop because our delivery time was pushed back to 8 am on the morning of the 4th. We are like 2 hours if that from that Greyhound station that has my stuff. We have plenty of time to go get it and make it back by 8 am on the 4th. But we can't get the okay from anybody to go get it!!

A little advice please

First of, GREYHOUND lost your luggages, they should fix it!

I'm not sure however how you lose baggages from a bus? Were you not standing by the cargo area waiting for the driver to unload everyone's bags? (At least that's how I remember it when I took the bus once)

Second, your experience I'll be learning from; *if* i take the bus, plane etc to my training place, I'll be sure to have a carry on backpack with essentials and extra money on me!

I hope this gets resolved for you!

It was lost during a bus transfer in Chicago of all places. They told us when you get off the bus they had baggage workers that will put your bags on the next bus according to the destination on the tag that Greyhound put on them. But apparently they forgot mine on the bus. So they had to track the bus down. But when they did, the guy said it wasn't there. So Greyhound called me and told me I had to come in to fill out paperwork in order to begin a tracker on the bag. I told them I'm a truck driver and I did not live in that town. I could not just show up one day to fill out paperwork and that I couldn't keep asking them to route me there for this and that. It's not like they need a social security number to find the bag so what paperwork did they need? She finally agreed to fill out the paperwork herself and told me they would call me when they found out.

The next call I got was that they had my bag at the final destination on the ticket and I had to come back to get it. I asked her if she could route it to a station close to me and she said it would be a fee because the ticket the company bought was to Fort Wayne, nowhere else. I asked if they would hold it until I could get back and she said yes. So they're keeping it for me, I just need Swift to get me there. Or tell us we can bobtail there or something.

A little advice please

To Errol: the only business card I got was for the person I'm already talking to: my driver leader. I don't know who else to talk to.

Different terminal, different team, I guess. But the people who set you and your mentor up should be contacting you when your 50 hour "solo" part is up. How about your recruiter? Got her phone number? (In Memphis they sit in the exact same room as those driver development people. But not till Monday! :( )

BTW, Greyhound lost your bags - they did not arrive when you did. They should be able to help "catch up" your bags to you, by sending them to another Greyhound terminal. For free.

Nerves getting frayed? You betcha! It's all words, but you get a lot of support on TT.

When Swift bought my ticket they put the final destination as Fort Wayne. So when Greyhound found my bags they told me they would get it to Fort Wayne for free but that's it. I have to go get it. So that's their way of catching it up to me. My dilemma is Swift is not sending us back that way to get it. I appreciate the support and wisdom from TT. I wouldn't be where I am without it.

A little advice please

Thank you all for the advice.

To the person who made the original medicine comment: I appreciate your help, time, and concern but I've always tried to be honest in my dealings. Not to mention, all sorts of trouble can come from that. They may want to know what meds. If I make up something it can come back on me and they may say I lied to them during the hiring process because that's not in my file and fire me or something. I don't know, I just have found not much can go wrong when you'reas honest as you can possibly be.

To HuntinDoug, that was my initial thoughts about it. Like I said on another thread there have been a couple of things making me second guess my decision to pick this company. This and the freezing at night thing are just two. They weren't my first choice in the first place and I almost wish I had gone with my first choice. But I am trying to stay positive and give them a chance. Every company has their flaws, just like every person. There's no rainbow without rain and there's sun after the storm. Im hoping these things I'm going through are just part of a storm and that the storm will blow over and I will be happy at the company I chose.

To everybody else, no one is answering my calls now. Or my trainer's. So he said just relax for now and we'll call again tomorrow. I'm almost in tears so maybe I just need to try again another day.

A little advice please

LittleTrucker is at a loss:

I had no clothes, no towels, no nothing.

No wonder you are freezing! rofl-2.gif

Have you spoken with the driver development people (The ones who coordinate mentors and students)? Also, since Greyhound had misplaced your luggage, you may be able to get them to transfer it to a bus depot that's easier for you to drive to.

What other driver development people should I talk to? And I already talked to Greyhound I have to go back to Fort Wayne or pay a fee. And I'm sad to say it but I'm broke.

Does Having An APU/EPU Really Matter?

Are you freezing because The Grey Dog ate your luggage? Did I read that other thread right? How frustrating. I'm sorry.

That was a hilarious way to put it. But no its not that. I took my sleeping bag as a carry on thank God. I also was wearing sweats when I boarded the bus (insert another thank God). We have been in places where it's been raining and sleeting. I've been cold without the truck running the heat. I guess if I had my clothes I could double up but ultimately the Greyhound situation is completely separate.

Does Having An APU/EPU Really Matter?

LittleTrucker, I don't want to hijack this thread any more than it is, so look for a new thread posting from me. "Swift: fighting for idling time"

OK got it. thank you.

A little advice please

Here's the short version. I completed CDL school and attended Swift's 3 day orientation. On Christmas morning, Swift bused me from Denver, CO to Fort Wayne, IN on the greyhound. I arrived in Fort Wayne on the 26th of December. My luggage did not. My trainer picked me up and told me we had a high priority load and we had to go pick it up and could not stop. I began driving that night and we had to leave Indiana. I had no clothes, no towels, no nothing. Greyhound found my bag five days later (about 2 days ago) and Swift said they don't think they can route us there any time soon. They don't have any loads going in that direction and we can't drive there. I don't have money to grab anything. How do I convey to Swift how urgent this is? I know it's not what you say it's how you say it but maybe I'm not getting it across to my DL the right way.

Find a way to politely inject the word "safe" into the conversation. If you can get your trainer to be an advocate for you that might help.

Maybe say something like; I'm willing to work hard and be flexible, but how long does Swift expect me to go without clean clothes or the ability to properly clean my body?

If you're only gonna be out a week you can probably make do, but if you're going to be out for weeks ask him/her (Dispatch) if they'd go for weeks without clothes and toiletries without prior notice.

I'm sure there's a solution and if you stay positive, you will be successful.

Good luck.

My trainer has been talking to them too. How do you insert safety into this topic? We're going to be out until I test into my own truck. So about 6 weeks or so.

A little advice please

Does Having An APU/EPU Really Matter?

LittleTrucker shivers:

No, that's not right! First, if your trainer is driving and you're (trying to) sleep, you have your own heat and A/C controls. You might have to ask the driver to turn on/enable the rear controls (It's a button or switch on the front heater controls), then behind the privacy curtain you can have your own tropical paradise.

If you're both sleeping, that's the usual "I'm hot!"/"I'm cold" debate. Rock/paper/scissors, arm wrestle, flip a coin/R.H.I.P decides.

On you're own, use the bunk heater. I drive for Swift (solo) and I know your truck has one. Look on the bunk controls for a strange looking thermostat, there are a few different ones. That heater will toast marshmallows. I really do use mine to heat cans of soup & chili.

1000970253-1000970255-310x174.jpg      Possible thermostat

He said it doesn't work now and that it used to but that even then it didn't work well. And we're still in the first 50 hrs so I'm doing all the driving. Which is why I said drive all day and freeze all night. On the nights he lets the truck idle I sleep well.

Does Having An APU/EPU Really Matter?

I'm glad you asked this question because I've been having an internal battle. I am currently in training at Swift. We do not have APU'S and if we try to idle the truck shuts off. My trainer showed me a trick where you can turn on cruise control which will stop the truck from shutting off but we have gotten idle warnings, which my trainer would ignore, but then his dispatcher will call every now and then and the two of them will have an argument about it for a while. He basically ends up telling her to fire him if it's that big of a deal. They've reached a compromise where he agreed to do it a little less. As a result, some nights we lay there freezing. I am not meaning to sound like I am complaining about the company, but I don't think that's right. Drive all day and freeze at night. And because of certain circumstances, I plan to be out on the road for months, maybe even never go home for the first year or so. That means I literally will be LIVING in my truck. I'd like to be comfortable. After all, when you are on the road, the truck IS your home. You wouldn't freeze at night in your home, so why do it on the truck?

Anyhoo, this and a couple of other things have me debating whether or not I should go with a different company. May trucking has said they would take over the balance I owe Swift for school and they have APU'S and nice trucks. I am tempted to take them up on their offer or go with Prime. I'm wondering if that's not a good idea?

Quick Question

As for the microwaveable stuff I haven't been in a truck stop yet that didn't have a microwave. Cup of noodles is easier than ramen since its self contained. I ate a lot of Bologna since my trainer had a fridge. Also tuna fish. You can go in the truck stop and get the little cardboard hotdog tray and fill it with onions, relish, mustard, mayo and mix with your tuna fish. There's also Vienna sausage, potty meat, spam and such. Find one of those glass storage bowls with the lid. Then you can buy cans of soup to microwave. Old trick, if you don't have access to microwave take the can of soup and put on the exhaust manifold when you leave in the morning. By lunchtime it will be piping hot. You can also wrap some foods in tinfoil and cook this way. Works kinda like a slow cooker.

Good ideas. Thanks!

Quick Question

Is there any way to contact your mentor and ask? You will be basically living in their truck, and I would think they'd appreciate you asking them personally. Just my $.02

Not yet there's not. Swift said probably Wednesday they can get me some contact info. And I don't want to wait until the last minute to try to grab everything because I no longer have a car so I would need a ride which means I would be running on someone else's time and they might not be able to help me if I need help at the last minute.

Quick Question

Little trucker, glad you asked. This is more a "great unknown" than even what life as a team is like. It all depends on what the trainer has set up. I doubt he/she will have any food arrangement for you. But, usually you can use whatever appliances he has. My trainer had a broken cooler which meant no refrigerated food storage. Be ready to eat in the truck as opposed to stopping all the time to grab fast food. My trainer gave me plenty of opportunities to shop at Walmarts on the way.

Here's an answer to washing dishes: rofl-3.gif Bring some paper towels to wipe down your utensils. (Secret known but to few: peanut butter can simply wipe off, and leaves a thin film of peanut oil on your knife, a good thing.). Since my food was mine, I drank milk products right from the bottle, and my coffee cup got rinsed out each day. (note: most truck stops have a little sink near the coffee counter, don't need to go to the restroom for this.) Same with a spoon and/or fork - it's only you, so wipe it down with a paper towel.

You will have storage space in a cabinet or two. I'm a big guy (6-2") and had a few boxes laying on my bunk and still slept easily.

Going into training, I assumed I would not be able to cook anything.

Well I'm allergic to nuts so the peanut butter trick won't help me unfortunately. But thanks for your help. I'll bring paper plates and plastic bowls and real silverware and just wipe them down. If you assumed you wouldn't be able to cook anything what did you bring? I was thinking like ravioli and ramen and instant oatmeal but I realized all of those require a microwave, which I don't have and my trainer may not have. I'm allergic to nuts like I said so I can't bring PB&J. What did you take to eat?

Quick Question

This may or may not have been answered before on the site but I can't find anything in the search bar. I'll be going on the road soon (probably this Thursday according to Swift) with my mentor for the 6 to 8 weeks of on the road training. How does the food set up work? Will my mentor have a fridge or cabinet I can use? How often do you stop to wash dishes or should I just bring paper plates an plastic silverware? Will they have a microwave? How will we be cooking food?

Once again, sorry if it's been answered before but I'm trying to plan now for what kind of food and dishes to buy.