Comments By Bolt

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0873983001517970621-47748.jpg avatar
  • Bolt
  • Comments:

Do I really need a GED to go to trucking school?

A sense of accomplishment: I did graduate from high school but never went to college. Most of my family did go to college right out of high school. I always wanted to go but was never able to make it work. Finally with the popularity of online education I enrolled and started my college career. For three and a half years I worked my butt off on this. I was working 70 hours a week in construction and then spending another 20 or so studying. FInally I graduated and attained a bachelor's in psychology. That was 4 years ago. I still do not have a job utilizing my degree and likely will not get a job utilizing it. But I have it and I am damn proud of that. While I would not advocate for someone spending the money to go to college just to get a piece of paper unless like me it is something that you REALLY want to do getting a GED can be very satisfying. My first wife did not have hers and I know one good job opportunity she missed because she wouldn't get it .

Looking at company sponsored schools

Sweet Im from springdale.

Looking at company sponsored schools

Glenn im looking at a mid may start date. Maybe our paths will cross.

Is the day of the standard transmission gone?

I hear everyone talking about auto transmissions as I get ready to start my career. I love driving a stick and actually learned to drive with a stick. Are these days gone? Will I be doomed to always driving an auto?

Looking at company sponsored schools

Thanks G-town. That's pretty much what she said. I knew after training I would go back,for orientation, just forgot to mention that.

Im,pretty excited about this. Only concern is academy and the first 200 hours are liable to put me in the poor house. Lol. Once I go solo if I can get about 2500 miles a week I will be fine and actually make more than I do now.

Question for rainy

Thanks for the info guys and I will check the links. Rainy, the post I was referring to you pretty much summed up. I have a basic understanding of the hos as I have in the past fallen under DOT guidelines. One construction company I worked for I had to run log books, maintain a health cars, and pay attention to HOS.

Thanks for the tip on the pre trip video. I will check that out. I have been studying the high road training.

I have a lot of skills and knowledge that will help me through my training. I am excited and looking forward to,this. Especially after a day like today where I can hardly move after work.

Question for rainy

Rainy, About a year ago you started a thread about managing your clock. Can you post a link to it please. Now that I'm so close to making the jump,i would like to re read that.

Looking at company sponsored schools

Ok swifties, for the benefit if myself and Glenn here is what I was told yesterday by the recruiter: 1. My academy will be in Memphis for 3 weeks then head home to await a mentor. 2. Go out with mentor 4 weeks cone home get my cdl a and my truck. 3. Gonna go reefer, go out 2 weeks home 2 days. 4. Ill run Kansas to Pennsylvania and points in between. 5. If I wanted to run all 48 then I would be out 3-4 weeks. She did mention cpm after going solo and the quarterly bonuses. This is all based on my residence of Arkansas.

Looks like I'm gonna be a Swiftie!

Aaron says:

Welcome to swift. I've been with them almost 6 months now. I do regional now. I was told u can't have microwaves in company trucks but Im not 100% on that. Others might give a more definitive response. I have a small 12v cooler that I use. The newer trucks should have a 110 v outlets installed behind the passenger seat.

You can get a 40qt (huge size) 12v cooler at Walmart for about $100.

Here's a stupid trick to heat stuff: get a small box (that could hold a football). Turn on the bunk heater, set to way hot 90°. Put your food in the box and set the box with it's open side right right next to the heater vent. In a few minutes, bon appétit!

Errol we do something like that on construction sites. Place food in dash in windshield in the morning. By the time lunch fill a around BAM warm food.

Looking at company sponsored schools

Glenn, I'm in NW Arkansas. I will be going to Swift in may. Talked to a recruiter yesterday And she sealed the deal for me. I thought about Pam, but they force a team the first 6 mos and knew that wouldn't work. Swift will send you to school in Memphis.

Forget the negative internet trash about swift and other opinions about these and other training programs.

Looks like I'm gonna be a Swiftie!

Thanks guys I'm really looking forward to this. I was wondering about tractor amenities. Like refrigerators, microwaves and things like that. Do the trucks have them installed or will I be able to install these things?

Looks like I'm gonna be a Swiftie!

After talking to a recruiter today I made my decision to go with Swift. I never really even considered this company. I still have some things to take care of here at home before I can leave, but am looking to be headed to Memphis for CDL school in May. Errol, I have a few questions for you when ever you read this.

I'm pretty excited about this phase of my life.

Oops

10459.jpeg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip%22

So I had a Melton driver bring in a load if overhead doors to my jobsite. In 20+ years if construction and unloading trucks I have never damaged a truck or trailer. Guess there us always a first time for everything.

As an ironworker we have welding skills, but on this job no welder. Driver had another load waiting on him just up the road. I had to run across town and grab a suitcase welder from another job weld his bumper up and send him,on his way. Dispatch said if we could fix it onsite no harm no foul.

Finally pulling the trigger

Thanks guys. Looks like Jay-Zjune is going to be my time frame. I talked to a maverick recruiter. Unfortunately I have a ticket a year and a half ago that knocks me out with them. I shall keep looking.

Finally pulling the trigger

So after a couple years hemming and hawing my frustration and dislike if the construction industry has grown sting enough that I have finally decided to pursue my dream.

I still have some things here at home that require my attention so it will be a few weeks before I can start the process. I'm relieved and excited at the same time.

Remember these trucks?

famous tv movie trucks duel bj and bear movin' on smokey and the bandit

Game: who is where today?

Sitting in Chester, Va coughing my fool head off looking on the net for a sexy flat bedder pic for Rainy . . . hehehe . . . cough, cough ! rofl-3.gif

I tried that also, all,my found was old schools profile pic!

1976: 40 Years Ago “Convoy” Was The Number One Song In The U.S.

I remember the sing and movie. That movie along with all the others, Smokey and the bandut, high ballin, white line fever, and tv like movin on and bj and the bear is what started my fascination with the trucking industry.

Introducing "The Road Home": TruckingTruth's New Podcast!

I listened to it on my lunch break and just now am able to comment. Great information. Coming from a wannabe it is exactly the kind of info I am looking for.

And on a side note. About that inspirational photo, the other day I was looking at some flatbedding photos on the ole interwebs and guess who showed. Yep that's right old school himself!

TruckingTruth Merchandise Available Soon! Need Advice.

Yeah count me out on the 300.00 Brett Aquila signature jeans........now if they were only 275.00 I would be in. rofl-3.gifrofl-3.gif