Profile For Nate_K

Nate_K's Info

Mauston, WI

3 years, 7 months ago

Nate_K's Bio

Recent CDL school grad and about to start my driving career.

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

New to trucking which school is best for a ex miltary vet??

I did training at Roadmaster Fontana.

I do not recommend that location if you have zero large truck experience.

If I could do it again I would of went to training in house with either Roehl (Who I Work for) Lots Of Vets here, OR Prime. Heard it's one on one and also vet friendly.

TMC is popular also and another vet friendly company.

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

A new concern

Had no idea he was team driving.

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

Considering switching to dry van

To get back on topic with the OP.

I don't work for swift but I do run reefer. I find it interesting that you are trying to sleep so much at customers.

I normally start my day at 0100. I'd say 90% of my appointments fall between 0600 and 1500. By running at 0100 I am able to adjust easily for those on occasion 2000 or 0030 appts.

Logging sleeper at the customer is a must to save your 70 but I rely on my 10 hour break for sleep. If I can catch a couple z's at a slow customer it's a bonus but I never rely on sleeping at a customer during loading/unloading.

So my question would be are your customers that slow your getting a 10 in while waiting to be loaded/unloaded? Or is there another factor I am missing why you can't sleep on your 10?

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

A new concern

If you make your appointment times who cares how many miles you drive a day?

I might run 630 on Monday which sets me up to only have to run 100 on Tuesday.

Making appointments on time and not hitting stuff is your job. Everything else is just trucker bs.

Best Advice for Finding Good Truckstops

You will learn the truck stops and plan your stops to hit the ones you like.

I also use trucker path but it does not show all the truck stops. Time on the road will be your best guide.

Roehl training

Came to Roehl end of December with a prior CDL.

1. Orientation is a lot of info crammed in a short amount of time. 2. On road training is important and take it as such. Don't let your trainer coddle you. Make them let you do everything yourself. You don't get a lot of time to learn on the road. 3. When you go solo they expect you to make mistakes. Be honest if you do and always communicate. 4. FM's I have had been good. No complaints. 5. A lot of great guys drive for Roehl. Take the time to get to know some of them. 6. They let you change fleets and hometime with no trouble. Huge bonus points here.

I can tell you I talk to a lot of drivers who are leaving and they all say they will come back if their local gigs don't work out.

Ghetto shut down locations

Well hell.

I shouldn't of read this post as I sit in an empty lot of my customer on the southside of Chicago waiting to deliver tomorrow morning.

I have a question about Schneider 7 on 7 off.

I did 7 days on with Roehl for my first month or so and got from Wisconsin to Phoenix but ran out of my 70 on way home and ended up out for 8 days.

Usually ran a large regional area mostly midwest. Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and Missouri.

I would assume Schneider will do similar.

Soon to be starting CDL School with Roehl

Budget eating on the road is what I do.

I spent the $30 for a lunchbox stove and eat lots of canned soup, hot dogs, brats, and of course pb& j. I also bought a Coleman Iceless cooler and it lets me keep drinks and food nice and cool.

The only time I eat at a truck stop is if I am craving Popeyes chicken or biscuits and gravy. I take $40 cash with me for road expenses and always come home with change.

Truck Stop Etiquette

Say "Hello" to someone once in a while -- it just might make that person's day... and yours.

Haha.....I don't mind a hello and that but I cringe when people try to talk to me at truck stops.

I get that we are social animals by nature but I am out here for the solitude. Let me run in and **** and get back out to my truck asap. I don't really care that the guy at the restaurant said his '91 cab over Pete is the fastest truck on the interstate.

Could use some support

You'll also need to give her plenty of freedom as to how things are run around the house and not come in one weekend trying to override everything she's done telling her she's not doing it right.

Best comment of all.

If you go over the road it will become her house and you are just a visitor and you need to remember that when you get home. She will change things and you will have to adjust to her changes.

One othe thing. It is gonna be hard on her at first too. Make sure you tell her that appreciate her strength in dealing with you being gone. Make sure you tell her how important she is. Make sure you tell her you miss her.

And most of all make sure you ask how she is doing!!!!! It is so easy to get wrapped up in talking about what your experiencing (good and bad) and forget to ask her about her day as well.

Trust me on this.

Could use some support

I am lucky that I love the time alone.

I don't sit in truck stops as I am much happier laying in my bunk.

I usually talk to mama once a day or text on a break.

I also drive for Roehl and have no idea how people find time to do anything but drive. I get run hard so that's good but I would love to get a little time to stop and take some pictures or hit a tourist gift shop along the freeway.

Roehl Transport's New Training Contract Is it fair?

I run Reefer for Roehl and also live in Wisconsin so my first load is always out of Wisconsin. I have been as far west as Missouri and as far east as Phily. Roehl says they won't send you west until you have a year but I know a guy who has been with Roehl (new driver) for less than 3 months who went to Phoenix twice. So while it is rare it can happen.

Roehl does have Dedicated van routes that are all west and I hear flatbed does a lot of west coast runs.

Reefer vs. Dry Van

As a reefer driver I get lots of drop and hooks.

Also comchecks are not a big deal.

You learn what customers will delay you and what ones will get you in and out fast. Some will even take you up to 24 hours early.

Good and bad with everything.

Personally I love just pulling out the little nob to slide my tandoms instead of the bar that vans have.

But making sure your reefer is always full before dropping at a customer can be a pain sometimes and it seems my loads are always heavier than most the van drivers I talk to.

Several dead in 50-vehicle Pennsylvania pile-up

Now I know why 78 on ramp was closed last night when I came through off 81.

Now I am thankful my load was delayed 8 hours or else I could of been stuck in that mess.

The worst thing about trucking

Sitting at customers I can handle. It's sitting in the drivers seat watching the clock waiting to start my day.

If I have an appt. at 1700 and place is a couple miles away I wanna take advantage of my clock and not start til about 1400. But waiting for that start time is unbearable for me.

HOS violation

If you really want to do a CYA - start your 10 hour break again after you get moved. Or at least do 8 hours, so you can do a "split" and get back enough on your 14 to move back to the consignee and drop the load.

Rick

And that is exactly what I did. I just took another 10.

HOS violation

Yes I checked it and it registered driving and on duty.

I made comment on log that I was forced to move. Not that it means anything.

HOS violation

Thanks for the reply.

My FM didn't really care but said they would be calling company to get an explanation why they did that to us.

Got a long run the next couple days but will be running at night so hopefully that helps keep me under the radar.

HOS violation

On a side note the 2nd shift security guard gave me permission to sleep there but 3rd shift guard didn't care.

Kicked 3 of us out.