Comments By Charlie Mac

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/misc-images/charlie-mac.jpg avatar

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Does anyone know who is doing hair follicle and who is doing ua testing 2016 up to date

Started Swift in April (UA test). Love it. Landed a sweet local route shortly after going OTR. The staff is (mostly) phenomenal, (everyone has bad days). Treat them with respect, communicate effectively & it pays off dividends.

Never had an issue getting preplans. Always another load lined up within 100 miles of final destination. My fleet manager (who as luck would have it is my DM) is 2nd to none & knows me by first name.

I've had 1 pay issue since starting & was compensated (via direct deposit) the very next business day after bringing it to attention. No fuss.

Bent Rim

I believe C Mac was refering to all of the other things you should do prior to and after coupling. OF COURSE you should do a tug test. You should also stick your head under the trailer and double check your coupling, amongst several other important things.

Yes T-Man, my sentiments perfectly. Nothing wrong with the tug test (I execute every time prior to releasing the trailer brake).

But, if your jaws didn't clamp or you jumped the skid plate...

tumblr_inline_n4echfi_JIo1r7fnmm.jpg

Bent Rim

Charley, only one tire? I ended up dealing with five tires (two on my tractor, three on trailers) in one week.

And here I was lamenting about a single bent rim. 😂

Misery loves company. (Am I awful for taking pleasure in knowing I'm not the only one?) Thanks for sharing Errol. 👍

Bent Rim

I see drivers every day cutting corners to save a few minutes; getting under a trailer, hook-and-go without doing a full walk around.

My favorite, the infamous "tug test". Back to couple, release tractor brake ::vroom vroom::...and off they go!

Bent Rim

Thanks G-Town. About 45 minutes after the repair my pre-pass blinked red & I was pulled into the Illinois weight station. No inspection, but I must admit... I would've been shaking in my boots when I saw that red light I had I rolled on that rim.

Bent Rim

I have the worst luck with tires. Got dispatched this morning, done pretrip & my preloaded trailer had a bent rim. I hate delays & probably could have rolled without incident...but I'll be a monkey's uncle if I let the next guy report it & let fall on me.

Wonder what a DOT ticket for this would've ran? 😕

Maybe the last guy didn't do it, maybe he did. I guarantee when he tells them "It was already like that"...they're gonna ask him why he noticed it & rolled. Sucks to be him.

Always do your pretrip!

20160727_103540.jpg

Hair follicle test crisis, read before judging

Per Hair follicle testing guidelines, only the most recent (closest to the scalp) 1.5" is used for testing.

Hair (typically) grows at a rate of 0.5" per month, thus the test (typically) only reflects the most recent 3 month history.

Another point of interest is it takes the follicle about a week (5-10 days) for the metabolites collected via your blood to deposit in the follicle & rise above your skin. For instance, if you did drugs today & received a follicle test 3-4 days from now, it would still show clean. (I don't recommend doing this) 😋

Hair Follicle Testing FAQ

Inspectors Revive Truck Driver After He Has A Heart Attack Following Level III Inspection

He thought he was gonna get hammered & had a heart attack when he passed. 😂

Swift Solo Upgrade

Memorize which macro is "Directions to shipper". It's the only one not listed on the test & its asked.

Truckers aren't dummies!

As a rule of thumb, I never change the station LOL (unless nobody else is there)...which is never. 😋

New Thing

Welcome aboard mate! Tons of resources right here @ your fingertips. Errol is spot on about the High Road Training Program. I was miles ahead of my classmates & would recommend it to anyone interested in getting their CDL.

Dreams come true

Thanks for the well wishes 😀

I don't mind boring. I like flipping on the cruise control, listening to NPR & trading jabs with Super Truckers on the CB. What I won't miss is scrambling to find a last minute parking spot after sunset.

On a positive note, that very thing has honed my parallel parking technique tremedously! Pulling into a rest area with 1 spot left (of course it's not in the lanes but 1 of the 4 curbside spots).

Here I thought I'd never have to bust that maneuver after school again! Boy was I wrong. It's a whole different ballgame when the litle orange cones are now two 73' trucks with drivers asleep inside. 😋

20160622_232058.jpg

Dreams come true

Thanks Brett! I think my communication may have played a role in the outcome. I was always sending my macro's with more information then essential & updating my ETA's/PTA's to maximize efficiency with load planning. I'm also very polite.

Of course...I could just have gotten lucky. 😁

Dreams come true

IMG_20160626_191203.jpg

Dreams come true

So, I (like a lot of folks) got into the OTR game to get experience & pay for school in hopes of landing a local/regional gig after I got some time under my belt.

I was on my first dispatch (home) a couple weeks ago and got a call from a company rep. They were calling Indy based drivers to gauge interest in a "shuttle run". Running trailers from an Indy drop yard to southern Illinois, meeting with a "swap partner" to exchange trailers and bringing that trailer back to Indy.

4 days on, 2 days off. Home every night & hourly pay. I (of course) was excited about the prospect, but this was only in the staging phase & didn't wanna get my hopes up as I'm still a rookie. I expressed intrest & they told me they would be in touch.

Saturday I got a message on my Qualcomm that they had T-called my load (PA to IA) to Columbus OH & to give them a call. I didn't know why...but thought I was in hot water!

They routed me to pick up my new(ish) 2015 day cab and take it to Indy! I'm home now & start my new route tommorow. I'm over the moon. 🌙

Is this mean??

I was being held hostage in Pennsylvania while the customer (an Amazon sorting facility) was having a fire drill. They wouldn't check me out until the drill was concluded. Me (being the good driver I am) promptly notified dispatch.

This was their (epic) reply.

IMG_20160625_094403.jpg

I'm 3/4 of the way through my 200 hr. Mentor Phase w/ Swift

Running my 3rd solo dispatch as we speak! It's cool being the "Captain of the Ship" but also very anxiety heavy. I'm by myself in a rest area hundreds of miles from home in Pennsylvania & as I kept passing rest stop after rest stop I knew I was pressing my luck with capacity but I knew I could get just a little further tonight LOL.

The day after tommorow has me really anxious as my preplan has a 10pm firm (live unload) delivery...I just know finding a place with a vacant spot to shut down around 11pm is gonna be next to impossible. I prefer rest areas because I detest doing 90 degree backs in the black of night & feeling all of those invisible eyes on me. (i like shutting down before dark if at all possible).

You see that sign that says "next rest stop 70 miles" and THEN you see all those trucks parked along the offramp to the entrace & exit cause it's bursting with trucks. Ugh...

Looking at Central or Roehl...also a medication question, thank you

That's actually a Central trailer in my avatar LOL 😁

Looking at Central or Roehl...also a medication question, thank you

When you say "Central" if you're referring to "Central Refridgerated", that's Swift. They bought those guys a few years ago. I hauled Central trailers all through my Swift mentorship.

The trailers still say "Central Refridgerated". I've seen 2 or 3 (older) trucks that do too.

In need of some beta testers for a new ProDriver GPS Navigation Device