Profile For Silverbolt

Silverbolt's Info

Grand Rapids, MI

Preparing For School

6 years, 5 months ago

Silverbolt's Bio

I'm looking to get started in the trucking industry. I have been driving private (personal) vehicles (operator's license) over long distances for various companies for several years now, including a 6-month stint as a courier. I know I can handle the lifestyle, and nothing else appeals to me for a career more than this.

And now I'm on my way! I've been accepted by C.R. England, and they're sending me to school. Stuff just got real.

Transform and roll out!

Sorry I haven't been very active for a while, it's been a hell of a year. I spent a few months in a mission just to have a place to live. But I've been accepted by C.R. England (pending my acquisition of my CDL), and I leave tomorrow to go to U.S. Truck Driving School over on the other side of the state (Michigan).

I'm nervous as hell... piloting a 40-ton building around is one hell of a responsibility, but I'm confident I can do this. And TruckingTruth.com is what gives me that confidence. I've completed the High Road training course. All I really need (aside from getting a refresher on everything) is time behind the wheel.

Just wanted to share that with all of you. Back to lurking, now. Drive safe!

Hired at Con-Way ... Everything was great!

But you said absolutely nothing wrong and I wasn't directing any of my last two posts at you personally. I just spotted a generally applicable teaching moment and ran with it til I ran out of gas. Such is my style.

smile.gif

And it's appreciated, believe me. I don't speak up much, but I do read most everything, and I can use all the perspective I can get from those with experience.

And congrats, Mountain Girl! dancing-banana.gif

My head hurts!!!

Keep it up!

Got my CDL!

Well I passed my CDL test today at Prime! Very happy to pass, even though I didn't trifecta. I passed my pre-trip and backing test no problem yesterday, but nerves got to me on the road test when we hit a confusing road construction area with vested guys controlling the traffic and I illegally turned through an oncoming lane of traffic making my turn (no traffic was coming).

But that's all behind me as I passed the road test easy today. Now the real training begins. It will be nice to start collecting that paycheck and really learning to drive now that I have the basics down. I should be in my own truck by the end of summer, woot.

Excellent! Congratulations!

Lebanon vet sues; claims he was knocked out, hurt when nearby tractor-trailer blew tire

I can potentially believe it. Check out what happens to this idiot who tries to knife another trucker's tire: Linked so people need not see it if they don't want to. It's not graphic, but it's pretty painful-looking.

Wanted to share !!

Godspeed and roll safely, friend. -_-

[Video] Truck Driver Busts Cop On His Cellphone, Speeding

I'm going to pile in with my two cents: I believe that the trucker in this case did everything exactly correct. Every single thing. Everything he did, and everything he said. I do not ever say "fn©k the police'; that's not my way. But I will say that everything that this driver did and said was exactly what should have been done and said.

That's my opinion only.

Question on studying for CDL permit (air brakes)

There's no thread on TT existence that goes into that much detail on the pretrip inspection, so I think calling it (or me) legendary is well deserved.

Now, "humble" on the other hand... rofl-3.gif

All seriousness aside, I too want to thank you for taking the time and effort to put together that thread. That is extremely helpful, for until I'm out there at the school able to go over it in person for myself. thank-you-2.gif

My first set back..

This is not a "set back." This is a new door that just opened for you, to way-better lifelong health that you didn't even know you were missing out on.

-mountain girl

I'm seconding Mountain Girl on all of this, these are excellent words of wisdom. I particularly recommend meditation; I do it myself.

GPS Options

Howdy all. I've been reading and learning tons off this website, thankyou. Into wk2 with my mentor at Swift. For trip planning we've been using the road atlas, Qualcomm and his garmin trucking GPS. I've only ever used garmin products on the ocean but before I spend nearly $300 I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the Rand McNally or Cobra options?

Thanks!

There was a great thread on here that points readers to http://www.dieselboss.com/truck_gps_review_features.htm which compares the specs and features of three different makes of trucker GPS's, including Rand McNally's 500s and 700s models, and the Garmin Dezi 560 (along with something I've never heard of before, 'PC Miler'). Going by that, I'm personally sold on the McNally 720, and I believe it's Guyjax who's got an older model McNally and absolutely loves it. But I also don't have any personal experience with any of them (back when I was a courier, I just used Sprint Navigate on my phone, and that was it), so take my words with a few mines of salt.

Truckers Tablet Computer with GPS

I saw this page on dieselboss.com, which compares three dedicated truck GPS devices:

Holy crap, THANK YOU for this!! I had been looking at getting a Garmin nüvi from Amazon, but the very extensive comparison of feature sets up on that page have sold me on the Rand McNally 720 model. It looks to me like it's going to be worth every penny.

Weeks away from swift training

Good to hear, thank you. :)

Weeks away from swift training

Hey everyone just thought I'd come show my face and let you know my progress I am literally weeks away from going to Richmond,Va for Swift Training and I am super excited. Ever since I figured out that trucking was going to be my career of choice I haven't gotten much support in my immediate family because I'm a girl. I don't take time anymore to explain how much I am going to take care of myself and that I'm learning how to be a safe driver above all. On the plus side my significant other and my father both support my dream of becoming a truck driver. So at this moment I'm waiting for my birth certificate to come thru the mail and then set up my start for sure this time and then off to training I go. Anyone want to fill me in on some of the trainers in Richmond?

Congratulations! I'm hoping to get into Swift myself, and I wanted to ask you how long it took for them to accept you to the academy. Is there a waiting period, or are they able to accommodate new students immediately?

Prime trainee day 3 OTR

Wow. So I arrived at prime orientation on the 16th. I lucked out and got a trainer (awesome one at that) and I've been driving since Wednesday morning. I must say, I LOVE it. Besides dealing with alot of crap at home and once the initial feeling wears off, I'm sure I'll still enjoy it. I've learned ALOT in the 3 days driving and I'm excited that there is so much more to learn. I've wanted to do this for a few years now and my only regret is not doing it sooner!

Thanks to everyone on this forum.for the help and support you all have given.

P.s. I didn't realize how bad people in cars are jerks when driving by trucks. Definitely made me realize how much regular car drivers affect those driving a truck! !!

I've always tried to be respectful of big rigs on the road when I'm in a regular car, but I imagine I've lost patience in my past as well. Just remember it's not aimed at you, it's just that your truck is in their way and they are the most important people in their universe. Keep rolling safely, and have fun!

Greetings, I'm New

I've passed all written portions of the test! The CDL program from this website were extremely beneficial. Don't relay on powerpoint presentations to pass.

Congrats! I really think the High Road program here is a huge help for anyone seeking their permit. And I'm almost stunned at the apps to help you learn your pre-trip inspections. Keep on rolling safely!

Link to some natural cure info for high BP . . .

Do you want quality or do you want cheap? Because that's going to be the two alternatives. If corporations could produce significantly healthier alternatives at their current price points they would. Without pesticides, herbicides and genetic modification you could never produce the volume of food they're producing reliably. Every year you'd have something different wipe out major amounts of crops - bugs, fungi, drought, etc.

I raise some animals and have a big garden and I do everything 100% naturally except for the vitamins and minerals I feed the animals and the antibiotics I give the babies the first few weeks to help them fend off illness. Humans can sterilize their environment a lot easier for ourselves than we can for cows, chickens, and turkeys. So a few antibiotics prevents a lot of illness and suffering, and then leaves their system quickly anyhow.

So I'm all for 100% natural, sustainable farming and ranching. But the idea that you're going to produce high quality, healthy fruits & veggies using sustainable farming methods and compete with the corporate farms is a pipe dream. Corporations are always willing to take shortcuts to save a few bucks.

I agree with you, I still have much to learn. I'm trying to say that I'm coming from a different perspective than they are. Their entire focus is the bottom line and making their shareholders happy. If I have to fund this out of my own pocket, I'm willing to think about it. My goal here is not making money. My goal is getting nutrients out there in a very, very depleted world, and the best way of doing so, to my understanding, is to make it price-competitive with the crap that's out there.

Like I said, this isn't happening anytime soon. But it is a (pipe?) dream of mine for the future.

Link to some natural cure info for high BP . . .

Im not picky when it comes to the area the fruit/veggie comes from. So long as it's not beat up or going bad.

That's part of my concern, to be honest. In the drive to be cheapest to market, too many farms go with monoculture, seriously depleting the soil of the necessary nutrients found in balanced farming (crop rotation). Throw in pesticides, herbicides and genetic modification, and I'd personally have trouble deciding between that sort of fresh produce and a can of Chef Boyardee in terms of which is less toxic, or more nutritious.

Now, granted, that's me for which I'm speaking, and only me. I know that a lot of people don't have any problems with one or more of those farming techniques. And I'm not here to bicker about them, either. I just want to (someday) provide what I consider to be a significantly healthier alternative in fresh produce at a price point that is competitive with factory farms.

Link to some natural cure info for high BP . . .

...wow, I mangled that blockquote reply rather nicely, didn't I? wtf-2.gif

Link to some natural cure info for high BP . . .

I'm VERY interested in your technique . . . I'd LOVE to get some good food out there . . . whenever we have passed roadside stands, my trainer always says there is "no place to park . . . " which I guess is true mostly but I'd sure like to make a try at it . . .

Jopa

smile.gif

This isn't going to happen anytime soon, but I've been interested in hydroponics farming for a while now. I also have a friend who's made quite a hobby out of designing and creating more advanced and efficient LED grow light arrays optimized for plant growth. He also recently took a business trip to Texas to help design and build a self-sufficient growing shed, complete with automated watering systems. It's not completely self-sufficient, as you'll want to be monitoring the system on occasion, not to mention adding nutrients on a regular basis, but it's designed for minimal work.

I've been thinking hard that I'd want to get something like this going for myself in the future, just so I can have quality fresh produce to take with me when I'm done with home time. Yes, you can always pick some up at Wal-Mart, but considering their usual sources, IMO it's not much better than just getting canned food-like industrial byproducts and eating that instead.

But this is all in the future.

Swift/ Central/TDA week 3