Comments By LDRSHIP

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0717822001567823761-62984.jpg avatar
  • LDRSHIP
  • Comments:

A walk on the ‘Darkside’ - working for a small company

LDRSHIP

I could scroll the pages on this but I don’t recall hearing, how is the pay versus your previous company?

I get pd 55cpm loaded and $20/hr deadhead. But forget accessorial pays. Not unless the broker is willing to pay. Then any accessorial pays get split 50/50. But the key is if and how much the broker is willing to pay.

No Bennies such as insurance, 401k, etc..

At Wolding I made 42 cpm on all dispatched miles (practical miles). Plus I made 1 cpm every quarter for safety and 4.5 cpm mileage bonus every quarter. So figure 47.5 cpm. Plus access to 401k, health benefits and per diem.

Kerosene

JP-4 and JP-5 are even more refined than JP-8. So... the downside is more noticeable. JP-4 and JP-5 are really hard on rubber gaskets and even the braided fuel lines. They eat them up. But on the upside, the more refined the fuel, the more energy released from and the more complete the combustion. Also the more refined a fuel is, the lighter it is.

A walk on the ‘Darkside’ - working for a small company

The small company I am working for just jumped into the big truck game last August. They haven’t even got a year under their belt. It is ran by 2 people. The only “employees” are us drivers. I get to witness the trials and tribulations of an upstart trying to make it. A lot more raw then though small companies that have been in the game for more than a few years.

Kerosene

A Diesel engine will run on kerosene. It will run on jet fuel as well. The problems with kerosene and jet fuel are the same. Since they are both more refined, they burn hotter. So the engine will run hotter as well. Also since they are more refined, they do not lubricate as well. This leads to increased component wear inside the engine. They do however, burn cleaner leading to less pollutants released from incomplete combustion.

FYI, the military uses Jet Fuel in all of their diesel vehicles. The type of fuel they use is JP-8 (Jet Propellent type 8)

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Handicap truck parking spaces???

I’m fairly sure I could probably get a HC placard, if I really wanted to take the time to deal with the VA. But then again, I am a little too proud for that. As I like to say though. I’m not handicapped, I’m disabled. Big difference.

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Handicap truck parking spaces???

I parked in one in a rest area one time. It was late and I needed a spot. I didn’t realize it was a handicap spot. It wasn’t outline in blue. Didn’t have a sign on a post. Next morning I happen to see a very faded blue handicap symbol on the ground. I didn’t feel that horrible at the time. My back was acting up. When my back starts to act up, my left leg stops being cooperative. I’m sure no one questioned me being the spot the way I hobbled around, lol.

A walk on the ‘Darkside’ - working for a small company

It is going ok. The only part that is annoying is, every time a repair is needed listening to the Boss man complain. Then try to find the cheapest half fix he can. It is what it is though.

Owner Operator

Their* sole focus. Dang autocorrect.

Owner Operator

The main function of this site is to help new drivers to successfully transition into the world of trucking. Although we have a few owner operators that belong to this forum, it is not the focus of our efforts. We discourage being an O/O or L/O simply because it is not something a rookie need do or be concerned about.

A better place to take your query would be to OOIDA. There sole focus is supporting Owner Operators.

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Update on my trucking journey

Congrats on your medical card. If CFI is what your gut tells you, then go back with them. If the recruiters are still talking to you, that means they are still interested. When the recruiters start ghosting you, that is when it is time to move on. I found out the hard way, while I was in CDL school. I really wanted to do flatbed, but every flatbed company I talked to quickly treated me like I had leprosy as soon as they found out about my back issues.

I survived my 1st year otr

Congrats on your first year!!!

dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif

A walk on the ‘Darkside’ - working for a small company

But at 5am I was still asleep with my curtains drawn. I didn’t get up until almost 6. 10hr wasn’t up until almost 0730

A walk on the ‘Darkside’ - working for a small company

Waved at what I think was a yellow Coronado in the east bound rest area near New Baden IL at 5ish this morning.

That was me!!!

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Prime PSD training, from a trainer's perspective.

Here is an idea, find a quiet industrial area, that is large enough to have several turns and that you can just go around and around without getting onto any major roads. Have him drive around it, but instead of being in the seat, sit at the edge of the bunk. See if his nervousness is from knowing you’re watching. Or if your not willing to bend the rules, while sitting in the seat, have your phone or something else out and pretend to be looking at it. Again, the point is to find out if he is just overly nervous from knowing he is being watched.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Only have 7 months of Recent job history, was homeless

I would cast a broader net. Since Wilson logistics (Wil Trans / JP) haul Prime’s freight, apply to Prime as well.

Why not apply to as many company that have a company sponsored program as you can. Find out what offers you get, then choose from there.

That link will grab a few of them.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

O/O Company Advice

Tbh, this is NOT the year to try and enter the O/O game. Maybe next year will be a better year. Rates are in the toilet and predictions are for them to stay this way for the rest of the year.

It sounds like you were a little more than impulsive with your decision to become an O/O. You have no clue what the market is doing right now. Why would you attempt to jump into the game in the middle of a rate slump?

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

O/O Company Advice

I can tell you the spot market for reefer stinks right now. Loads last fall that we’re paying $2.00 a mile are barely paying $1.35 a mile now. Feast or Famine. Right now it is Famine.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Storm Damaged rig in Kansas... Sad...

I picked up yesterday morning at National Cold Storage in Bonner Springs. Trees were down everywhere. The stop lights were out.

Here is a picture of the tornado path.

0043392001559214369.jpg

The wholesale grocers DC is just south of where the storm path map has “Kansas City, KS” on the south side of the Kansas River.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Storm Damaged rig in Kansas... Sad...

I was on the west side of Kansas City when that happened. The tornado alarms were going nuts for about hour. I was delivering to the wholesale grocers DC just off of I-635.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Seeking Advice For Military Veterans

I did a private school and used my GI benefits. (Post 9/11 GI Bill). Then, I went with a company that also had an apprenticeship program. That allowed me to use a year of my benefits to get my housing stipend. Helps offset the whole first year pay thing. The company I went with also had tuition reimbursement. So I got paid the money that Uncle Sam spent on my schooling to get my CDL. Not to mention I got paid my housing stipend that month and book allowance. So I made money going to school by using my education benefits. It was a win/win for me.