Comments By Victor C. II

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0230064001511720888-65592.jpg avatar

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Is Driving In The Northeast Really That Bad?

Go out West or down South sometime and you'll see what everyone's talking about. The Northeast is loaded with narrow roads, tough backing situations, heavy traffic, expensive tolls, aggressive drivers, lack of parking, and heavy truck restrictions.

The cities in the Northeast are the oldest in the country and there's a ton of infrastructure that was built long before anyone imagined trucks as large as they are today. Many of the traffic patterns were also designed quite poorly. I'm originally from Buffalo. They built a "hub and spoke" model for the roads. Sounded cute at the time I'm sure but it's a nightmare to navigate.

Now I live in the Adirondacks. 99% of the people in this country that have never been to Upstate New York have no idea that the vast majority of New York State is beautiful mountain wilderness.

All cities have tough traffic throughout the country. Doesn't matter where you are. But OTR driving overall is certainly the most difficult in the Northeast. It's not even debatable, really.

I have also been up in the adirondacks, and I must say it is absolutley beautiful up there. I have been through New York quite a lot. Very pretty. The cities though are huge man.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Trucker Humor: Trucking Company Name Acronyms

Just came up with a few of these today.

CRST- Cant recognize such trash CRST- Cant rely on stunt truckers Swift- So willingly ignorant failed trucker Abf- Always being failed Foward Air- For our wickedly allowed retarded drivers, always inviting rednecks.

Posted:  1 year, 12 months ago

Does anyone know where I could get my DMV.....

Old School you are like my favorite moderator among a couple others that have taken me under their wings and when I messed up scolded me and then lifted me up again and have given me new hope for the brighter future! C.T. that was a huge help and thank you. Old School I agree I did lack the discipline before I restarted my education to finish up my diploma, there is no doubt about that, but I am learning real quick that discipline pay off big time when it comes to me achieving my dreams and goals in life. I think a whole lot of it was due to misunderstanding you all and then thinking I did and then never requestioning you all so I could better understand. Thats definitely my fault. Old School you will be surprise that, when I went into trucking I had full intentions on becoming as good as you are. I almost did but like you have stated I lacked the necessary equipment called discipline and now that I am gaining it as I apply myself to my studies I can see just how imperative it really was and is that I apply myself intensely on them.

Daniel thank you for that information. Got a technical question, in order to keep my CDL A active do I have to drive a semi truck or can I just drive a dump truck too? There is a whole lot of Virginia construction where I am and they got dump truck jobs, semi dump trucks and such that is related to those that have a CDL A. I am looking for a part time job and then going to go full time after getting done with studies.

Thanks you all and I am still looking forward to many good threads and reading your wisdom!

Posted:  1 year, 12 months ago

Does anyone know where I could get my DMV.....

I was only taught to road plan by looking at the atlas and looking for the fastest route possible and then following it that way but don't remember being taught to figure in miles from on an atlas and don't remember them even teaching me how to tell exit signs.

Posted:  1 year, 12 months ago

Does anyone know where I could get my DMV.....

Well a major factor was that I really could not tell what was exit signs, how to tell how many miles from one place to another, how to tell where there are truck permitted travel like the toll roads and back roads. I have a Rand McNally Motor Carriers laminated road atlas.

Posted:  1 year, 12 months ago

Does anyone know where I could get my DMV.....

C.T. for reasons that I have not been directly told other than some very small backing up issues, like for instance in very tight quarters, I was let go without even being given a safety coaching conference call and if I was given that I can tell you that I would have taken extra training. I do not want to push the blame on Swift entirely because like in a comment that Old School had posted in another thread of mine, I could have practiced in a Petro, TA, Loves etc. parking lot and gotten better. The thing of it is, it didn't matter how hard I tried to trip plan correctly I seemed to have a hard time getting to my stops on time.

I am excited to get extra training and hopefully someone can teach me how to do proper trip planning and that way I can be an overachiever at my next company, at least I will be there for a while. I do want to note that it was not because I didn't give it my best or just did it hap hazardly because that is simply false. When I did pretrips on several occasions I would literally craw from front to back of truck just to double check and make sure nothing was wrong with the equipment or trailer. I would double check my equipment on top, check tires 2 times, made sure everything was secure and rockin rolled down the road.

I really could say that my pit falls would of had to been trip planning and close quarter backing period. I wish I could call and talk on the phone because I feel like I will just make everyone on here judge me as though I didn't try but I did and I have not quite I am just down for a short time. Called the dac repair people and hopefully get things straightened out. Right now I am focusing I on filling out my homeschool diploma transcript and getting certified in Solid Works and engineering program I have always wanted to know how to operate and then engineer a dream of mine while trucking. I think for right now in order to get better at my craft I will go local Lord willing and then after I get a full diploma and a certification in Solid Works then I will go back to over the road. I just need to really get some serious practice in to build confidence and extra consciousness.

Posted:  1 year, 12 months ago

Does anyone know where I could get my DMV.....

Ok thank you Pianoman I will be sure to do that!smile.gif

Posted:  2 years ago

Does anyone know where I could get my DMV.....

Okay. I am in Virginia so I guess I will start there. Would you say that is sage to get it online or should I actually go to the DMV? confused.gif

Posted:  2 years ago

Does anyone know where I could get my DMV.....

I am trying to get my DMV record and I know it has changed since I have looked at it last but I am not in my state at this time and I would like to know what websites I can go to, to get it for reasonable, cheap or free but I need it for me.

Trying to fill out some applications for some companies and need i plus I am going to probably filling out the trucking truth multiple companies application too.

Thanks so much.

Posted:  2 years ago

Are the modern International Lonestars and Lonestar eagles good trucks?

Started to fill it out and I realized that I do not know my driving record anymore because I have had a few tickets drop off from my record thats is 3 years or older and I am no where near a DMV. Right now I really would like to get a part time job because I seriously am trying to add to my transcript for my diploma.

My promised update about American Furniture Warehouse

CONGRATS PIANOMAN! You will do incredible I believe in you! Pianoman, do they have navigational units and isn't a little harder to maintain your dispatch and keep your dispatchers up to speed. Like I.E. when you were delayed a couple time in your article? Also do you find that it is safer traveling out west without such a low governed speed? I am a former Swifty from unfortunately circumstances but I agree with you 100% they are a FANTASTIC company to jump into the world of trucking with.

Posted:  2 years ago

Are the modern International Lonestars and Lonestar eagles good trucks?

Thank you Old School, for that advice it is very much appreciated, but I do have a humble question to ask you because I am not sure what you mean lol. When you say I have a felony what do you mean? I have never had a felony charged against me. Practically 3 years ago now I had 4 tickets and now almost 3 years falling off. I had a Failure to yield right of way (T-bone), Failure to Obey highway sign, 1 speeding ticket, and a following to closely. May would be a warning but never given a ticket. So thats why I am asking you, sincerely and not from pride, why you are saying I am a felon? By the way I have a family member that is out of unfortunate circumstances a felon and I was wondering if they couldn't find a job elsewhere who in the trucking business would give them a chance? Thanks you all!

Posted:  2 years ago

Are the modern International Lonestars and Lonestar eagles good trucks?

Brett your definitely right about getting out and looking, I did that on several occations but I made the mistake of coupling a trailer without getting out to look. I thought I was good and I was not. And backing up in the petro with those angled backing, I should have looked for someone to help me back it in correctly and I should have been looking in front of me more often than the trailer numbers then I would not have edged the very end of the on ramp to the unused live load area at the Columbus terminal, that is my fault.

I said there was a possibility that I could go with this company and if I didnt then I am sorry I made it sound otherwise cause I did not mean to.

Im down but not out. I am just humbly asking for some extra knowledge from you all because I obviously made some mistakes and it is always smarter of a young buck like me to get advice from the old giants of trucking.

smile.gif

Posted:  2 years ago

Are the modern International Lonestars and Lonestar eagles good trucks?

G-Town I apologize that I am being so defensive because I really want to be a good and even excellent truck driver because I LOVE my career. Concerning about my diary I did not put anything in the diary about my troubles because I did not want you all thinking I was a heck of a complainer. I am trying to be positive but I guess that was not worth the effort because you all got the wrong connotation and thought something that was a little off. Yes he was a great mentor on everything BUT the backs because as it had turned out I had gotten WAY less then what I should have gotten and I didn't speak up quick enough because I thought that I would get a bad rep with everyone including my DDM. Yes I can promise you this I did call and did not get a answer and I did ask him and got a few more backs then I did have at the time but not all 40 and I suffered from my lack of speaking up and being firm with him and them about the back ups I will admit that.

Now I want to know from you, what should I do and what would you do at this point? I know I am down but I am not out and I am not a quitter I am an overachiever and will be one for the rest of my days Lord willing.

Thank you G-Town!

Posted:  2 years ago

Are the modern International Lonestars and Lonestar eagles good trucks?

I am finally getting out my computer and writing since I have a little time. Okay so you think I didn't "Own" my mentorship. That may be partially true and like I said refer to my last post, I ADMIT that I may have had fault at this, so don't tell me that it is all my fault. For one I tried calling my DDM and he NEVER picked up. 2nd, I asked my mentor several times to let my back up on top of me calling my DDM and guess what, I did not get a whole lot until we tried cramming it in at the end. I even questioned him at the end of the phase and you know what happened....HARDLY ANYTHING! SO, don't tell me that I didn't own it, cause I did put effort in, and ultimately I answer to God, myself and Swift and obviously Swift didn't want to let me talk to Benard Davis who was my DDM. I did come to you all for your advice and help and did take it and used it. Like I said also I need to finish up my diploma and then I will see where He leads me next. I don't expect anyone on this forum understand my explanations or reasons, because I can already see how half of you are taking it. By the way I loved working with my dispatcher Sarah Thompson and my safety director Tanner Marcentonio and on road. They seem to be very kind and capable and I have talked to Planners, CSRs, multiple dispatchers etc. I can definitely say I enjoyed Swift.

Posted:  2 years ago

Are the modern International Lonestars and Lonestar eagles good trucks?

Well that all may be true from what you all said but on the flip side of that, I dont believe in the GODS I believe in one God and also I realize that these small companies are not going to have as much time to try and give me more time to "train" me but I was not blaming God but rather the opposite because I have been praying for God would give me guidance, wisdom, understanding, knowledge and prudence. Well about a month ago I felt that God was possibly telling me to quite Swift and finish up my diploma and then come back out to trucking again. Well I am not always the best at discerning Gods soft and gentle voice when He is trying to lead and I ended up staying and by the way I did GOAL and I did for the most part not hit anything but I realize that I also did bump a couple things and I admit to my fault with that.

I will not say you all are wrong but I sure as heck tried. Also to G-Town I did complete those classes just last week but they decided by that time to let me go. They didnt even give me a safety coaching class. By the way Brett you can say what you want but I will be honest no one tries as hard as I do to do a good job, sure I screwed up, but not a single one of us are PERFECT the first time around and 2nd I have a great friend who was in the first school I went to get my CDL who works at Simbeck who said that he would most likely be training me to be better at backing up and what not for a week and up to 4 weeks. I checked it out. Even called him. And quite honestly, I needed more time with my mentor he literally waited till last minute to try and get me 40 backs and we didnt get to it which would have helped a lot which 3rd I thought I was supposted to put in claims right as something happens and thought that we were supposed to put it in when we got to a terminal NO ONE told me to do.it right away so I looked really bad to them. SORRY I am not perfect at this yet give me a little room to breath. Like I said I am going to ADMIT to.my fault and MOVE on to bigger things.

I dont believe anything happens by chance. Cant say I didnt try and by the way I have not quite I just fell down but I dont QUITE I get back up and try to knock it out with a whopping 100% good backing and maneuvering that truck.

QUITTERS NEVER WIN. So I will get right back up again.

Posted:  2 years ago

Are the modern International Lonestars and Lonestar eagles good trucks?

No Old School, I dont plan on starting my business until I have very good experience in trucking. I was merely suggesting that after a few more years of working UNDER somebody not start a company. Why would I even think of going and starting my company if I cant even get my backing perfected? Nay but I will submit myself to the wisdom and power of another campany in order to get more experience and perfect my skills. I think this was Gods way of moving me away from Swift and to a different company thats better suited for my needs. Like I still want to finish up my diploma studies which I dont have a whole lot more to do and I want to study Solid Works which is an engineers program I am wanting to learn.

On top of that I did mention a company named Simbeck. A company of 60 trucks and also my good friend works there and he will train me once I get there. They pay up tp 26% of the load, I will be home for the weekends for my 34 hour reset, closer home and they have new equipment. All dry van frieght and it would help me get good at one thing before I begin doing flatbed.

Does this help?

smile.gif

Posted:  2 years ago

Are the modern International Lonestars and Lonestar eagles good trucks?

Ok cause that is something that I have thought about when I have 2-3 years experience going and going to invest in my company and I dont want junk at all. I am going to probably switch to Simbeck and Lord willing get my backing improved. Thats the reason why I was let go from Swift Transportation was that, now that I have 5 months experience and thats the only thing that absolutely PLAGUES me then I can go with this smaller company that can give more attention to my needs as a driver when it comes to training.

Posted:  2 years ago

Are the modern International Lonestars and Lonestar eagles good trucks?

I have looked at trucks a lot through out the years and I have to admit I liked Freightliner until they changed ip their design with the Cascadia and then now that I am.driving it I like how much room it has. One other truck other than Peterbilt and Kenworth that I like the design and all is the International Lonestar. I have heard just like Freightliner that they are good and then some say they are junk. Could some of you clear up the dust on this topic thanks.

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

What Is This Thing We Call Trucking?

rofl-3.gif