Profile For JuiceBox

JuiceBox's Info

Clarksville, TN

Rookie Solo Driver

1 year, 10 months ago

JuiceBox's Bio

Not much to know just ask!

Posted:  5 days, 9 hours ago

Questions About Scales

I bypass unless there are signs specific to each truck such as Georgia chicken coops. My Drivewyze also never gives me the bypass for those scales or any like them in other states. It will tell me to "follow the signs" or to "enter unless closed." Your safety department will likely be able to set you straight.

Posted:  6 days, 9 hours ago

It finally happened to me

That sucks but it sounds like it all worked out in the end. I assume 01 is shipper and 90 is consignee in macro talk?

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

Change to FMCSA allows personal conveyance to find parking? Anyone have more info?

It will still be based on company policy like I said earlier. Some companies do not allow PC at all. It is not even an option on the qualcomm. Mine allows 30 minutes before it puts you on drive and violates hos.

I am pretty sure safety can go in and change the parameters in the Qualcomm if absolutely neccessary but, I dont think you'll find yourself needing this PC move to find parking often. If you do, you are not planning well enough. Stuff does happen out here from time to time though.

Posted:  4 weeks ago

Is there such a thing?

Schneider has something like that I believe.. I don't remember the details but I remember them going over it. Goodluck and be safe out there

Posted:  4 weeks ago

Company policy will dictate PC moves. Some companies do not allow it at all and do not have the option on their QC. My company allows 30 minutes of PC per day. When 30 minutes is up, I am automatically kicked on to the drive line.

Posted:  4 weeks, 1 day ago

Maverick Guarantee

Had this guarantee at my company for the first 90 days of employment. I never got it because I always grossed more. The only time I gross less is when i go home for 5-6 days. Not with maverick but take it for what its worth. Also know that there are plenty who do gross less, they also are not employed for long, atleast not at the same company.

Posted:  2 months ago

Help...it scared the crud out of me...

I'm not so sure you need to use stab braking for this scenario. When driving in city traffic and having to stop and go I just use the Jake and regular braking along with down shifting. I will use stab braking along with the Jake and properly selected gear for down grades when loaded heavy. If I am light enough all I need is the jake to control my speed.

Maybe your instructor is teaching that so I dont want to go against what your being taught. Anybody want to clarify or am I wrong?

I agree with JuiceBox on this. Apply steady brake...but my suggestion; Old School and Rainy still applies. Please read all of the replies, all important and relevant.

Yes sorry, I didn't mean to trump all previous replies. I use all methods described above when approaching intersections. IMO, intersections are the most dangerous situations you can encounter on the road, throw in adverse weather and its 10x more dangerous.

Posted:  2 months ago

Time off during first year

In general you will earn 1 day off for every 7 days on the road. Hometime policies will differ with each company though. I have no limit as to how many days I can take off at one time, as long as i have the earned days off. Also if they get me home a couple days early it does not use my earned days, but that's my company.

I think most times with very specific questions like these regarding a company's policies, it is best to talk to the recruiter about it. Maybe if you tell everybody here who you are looking to drive for them somebody who is there already can better assist with the company home time policy. Goodluck

Posted:  2 months ago

Help...it scared the crud out of me...

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

In violation of federal law

You cant edit all lines except driving?

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Need advice...

I'm not experienced but I'd think your load had something to do with that. Were you heavy, light, or empty? Maybe you hit the brakes harder than you thought? I'm sure somebody else can offer more than me.

Last winter I started to jack knife on ice when I was empty. I hit the accelerator a bit too much and started to get sideways. I corrected it and continued on at 15-20mph to the nearest truck stop and shut down until roads improved. I realize that ice and rain are completely different but, I always take it easy in those conditions and especially when I am empty or very light.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

GPS Dependancy Is Bad

Honestly, if you are aware of your surroundings and reading the signs, then this shouldn't happen. If your GPS is leading you into a lake and you follow it, you're an idiot. Common sense can work wonders out here, as well as knowing how to use all of your tools.

I always check the atlas for any road that is not an interstate. I will also zoom in on Google maps and look for trucks on the road I am taking. Lastly, i will go to street view and scan the area for low clearances and any questionable turns.

After all that is done I still have had to abandon a specific road or turn once I see it with my own eyes. Nothing can replace what you have or dont have between your ears. At that point, just take it slow and pay attention. Put your flashers on if you have to so others know you are all jacked up at the moment lol.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

What would you do?

Wow, a driver makes the decision to break the law for personal gain, when there was no need to, and I get reamed. Too funny.

Feel free to delete my posts since I’ve seem to have offended everyone.

And I’ve made bad decisions-I got in an accident while over hours-very, very, very, lucky to still be driving-lucky the cop was unfamiliar with elogs and didn’t know what he was looking at during the inspection.

Smh

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

What would you do?

This is a horrible post on a forum full of newbies. You violated your hours to “git-r-done,” and with no consequences. Poor example of a supposedly professional driver. You made the wrong choice because you were greedy, and got lucky nothing happened. If you’d gotten in an accident while in violation, bet you wouldn’t be making much money for the next couple months. Or what happens if you have to go over your hours this week because of traffic, breakdown, or weather, and suddenly you are a habitual violater at your next inspection. Guys doing what you did is the reason paper logs were taken away from us.

I’m disappointed in you and this site.

You are entitled to your opinion. Either way I tried to leave it as a learning point on situations that come up out here on the road and the decisions we face. There are plenty of professionals out here who have done the same thing I have and then again there are plenty who have not. The fact that you chastise somebody who would make a different decision than you tells me all I need to know about you so this will be my only reply. I hope that you never make a bad decision out here and that you remain perfect, driver. Thanks for your response.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

What would you do?

So if I'm reading that correctly, you only have 13:10 available hours Mon & Tue. for a load that requires at least 13:50 drive time to get it there on Tue. Not going to happen unless you violate.

So the easy answer for me would be to still get as far as possible Tue before running out of hours, leaving myself an hr or two short of 90. Rather than finishing the drive on Wed 7/4, I'd just stay where I was and get a reset in. The trick would be in not slacking off Mon or Tue. I'd need to be parked early enough on Tue to allow 34hrs before needing to roll again.

Then it's just a matter of getting started early enough Thurs 7/5 to roll in to 90 with a fresh 70.

My reading comprehension isn't what it used to be, so unless I'm missing something this is what I'd do.

Turtle, your reading comprehension is on par. I tried to make it easy to read and provide all the neccessary information.

What you would do is the first plan I had and what I thought about all the way to petro ocala in Red****, fl, where I shut down for the night. I sat in the lot for probably about 2 hours, before going in and taking a shower, fighting with myself and what I was going to do.

I chose the unpopular method and delivered the load on 7/3. I did it because I am flagged for hometime af the end of next week and I know that makes me unavailable for a lot of loads. They will keep me east of I35 and somewhat close to home. I called safety and let them know what happened, no love lost just not going to become a habit.

I picked my next load up at the Birmingham terminal after taking a 10. Currently sitting empty in PA a day before scheduled delivery. I didn't have to keep running but something about sitting on that load and only having 750 miles by Thursday morning just wasnt sitting right. It's the first time I've had a violation and hopefully the last.

Hopefully some of you considering a career in trucking read turtles response and do what he would have done. Gambling with your license is not wise but sometimes the old get'r done kicks in and it's hard to tell yourself no. Thanks for the responses to all.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

What would you do?

This could be fun with the various responses from all, let's see how it goes...

You spent the night at the consignee in West Park, FL and just got empty in the morning. Your next load picks up in Miami, FL(15 miles/25 minutes away) on 7/2(Monday) at 1000hrs and delivers to Centreville, AL on 7/4(Wednesday) at 0700hrs. It will take you 13 hours and 50 minutes of drive time to pick up and deliver. Sounds easy enough and you know you have the hours on your recap. Your 70 looks like this:

7/2 current hours 7:30

7/3(Tuesday) you get back 5:40

7/4 you get back 11:10

You will log 15 minutes to secure/load and 15 minutes for post trip.

You are tarped/loaded and can leave the shipper by 1300.

Ok so you accepted the load because it's obvious you have more than enough time right? Well, while being loaded you recieve a message from your DM stating that the consignee will be closed for the 4th and will close early on the 3rd. If you can make it by 1400 on the 3rd they will unload you. No new appointment is sent to you.

I think I got it all, if I missed something ask away. I will post what I did when everybody has responded. There are probably quite a few different "right" answers so dont be shy. So my question is, what would YOU do?

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Old School, Turtle, and all youz Flatbedders out there....

rofl-3.gif

Yup, that's flatbeddin sometimes!

My personal records are 24 straps on a single Lindsay load. 14 (?) chains on a load of bobcats. All 12 moving blankets, plus some cardboard I dug out of a dumpster. 4 tarps and every bungee I had. The struggle can be real. Lol

Those be the loads that make people turn in the keys. So much satisfaction once complete though so I'll never understand. Maybe it's the fact you have to destroy your work of art upon arrival at the consignee? Yep that's what I'm going with, we are all artists and do not enjoy destroying our work at the end of a run. Lol

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Happy 4th of July

I’m in a hotel just north of Birmingham, AL until the 10th. My trainer took home time and went to Florida.

Downside is, it will take me longer until I get my own truck. On the positive side my girlfriend is flying down from Chicago to visit me.

Happy Independence Day, and stay safe out there!

I was in Birmingham in the wee hours for a drop and hook at one our terminals

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Hot Weather Operation -Tires

Right on... planned on using the old gauge in the morning. By morning I mean 0100 to deliver at 0700, a day early!

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Old School, Turtle, and all youz Flatbedders out there....

Lift with your legs, not your back. If you can get that tarp up onto the trailer you can do just about anything with it.

I am coming to the realization that flatbedding is more of a mindset than anything else. Some loads are easy, throw a couple straps and get down the road. Some loads are tough, 18 straps or 12 chains, all the padding you possess, 3 tarps, and what feels like 358 bungees. The weather obviously can make loads all that much more difficult. You have to really want to do the work or just be a stubborn SOB who will not take no for an answer, IMO. You will either love it or hate it but its worth a shot to find out! Goodluck out there.