Profile For JuiceBox

JuiceBox's Info

Clarksville, TN

Rookie Solo Driver

1 year, 5 months ago

JuiceBox's Bio

Not much to know just ask!

JuiceBox's Photo Gallery

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

Another Topic Just For Fun - What was your last load? How much did it weigh? How many miles?

Commercial AC units with 4 stops including final weighing in at 8500 lbs. From Laredo, TX to drop 1 in Capitol heights, MD. Drop 2 in Yonkers, NY. Drop 3 in Rochester, NY. Final in Mississauga, ON.

Funny thing about this load is that it ran about 2550 actual miles but pays 2780 miles. I'm not complaining with the extra 5 CPM for Canada for all loaded miles and additional 25 bucks per stop. Border crossing is also counted as a stop and pays accordingly. Good load for a weeks worth of work.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Rules about smoking in a truck cab?

The phrase "get over yourself" comes to mind

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Changes - Fond Memories of Swift

"Rehire" looks good to other companies as I am told. Goodluck to you

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Hit me with the truth

Look I am a rookie and my goal is to haul exotic cars. I started flat bed and will eventually jump to car hauling. I, by no means, have the experience to advise you on your career. That being said, you have the appropriate drive and attitude to do whatever you want. Do some research and find out what it will take to get to your end state and nothing can stop you.

I was told once by a leader I still talk to every day, "focus on your weakness but exude your strength." Granted that was about killing bad guys, I still take heed to that advice to this day. You can make excuses of why you aren't good enough to do something or why somebody else is better for the job if you focus on your weaknesses. You can also find reasons why you are better for the job if you look at your strengths.

Go out and pay your dues and gain the neccessary experience and then pursue the division you want. Take what I say with a grain of salt of course because like I said, I'm just a rookie out here, like you, trying to get where I want to be. There are perks to staying with a company for the long haul also so keep that in mind. Goodluck!

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

My Day By Day Experience At Eastern Freightways Flatbed Division

Awesome. I dont read any diaries so this is the first I have read. What ya hauling for your first load?

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Pictures of your meals on wheels!

Everybody does it on Facebook and instagram so why not here?! If you cook on the truck let's take some pictures and tell everybody what you used to make the meal, to include recipes and accessories.

Seen below:

Polish sausage

1 cup white rice

1 green pepper

1/2 onion

Brussel sprouts (about a cup or so)

Salt and pepper (couple shakes)

Equipment: All in one crockpot/pressure cooker

Prep and cook time: 1-1.5 hours

0973603001526256634.jpg

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

Requesting a new DM

Learn to relax, your smoking it from the sounds of it. That stuff drove me crazy when I worked for big companies. I learned over time to just roll with the flow. I’ve been chewed out for calling customers and delivering early. My military background says get the mission accomplished and move on too the next one. It doesn’t always work that way in the trucking world. I thank god everyday for my job. It spoils me rotten and if I was ever to return to the freight world I would go nuts. Hang in there and keep the faith

Thanks PJ that means a lot. You know I know I'm doing good but we are cut from a different cloth. Planning and execution were huge in the military. I did learn early on that once you take your first casualty all offensive plans go up in the air. What you brief and what you do are completely separate. Anyway, I'll learn to be more fluid and understanding. I feel like I'm making things frustrating for myself after hearing from Gtown, Old School, Rainy, and yourself. I've got to relax and learn when to be hyper sensitive to the details. Thanks yall

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

Requesting a new DM

rofl-1.gif

i used to ask my FM every 30 days how i was doing...he said the same thing "slow down and get better mpg. i can't give you more.miles you get the max".

you sound like me...lol

that means you are doing GREAT!!!

keep it up

Lol sweet! I just went out to my truck to replace some straps, sweep it out, and start it up for a bit. I checked the qualcomm and got a message congratulating me for making the top 100 for the quarter. I'm going to drive myself crazy trying to figure out ways to improve besides MPG. The struggle is real when you are a highly motivated individual.

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Requesting a new DM

Yes just about everything you said is how it works over here as well. I have made an effort to learn how those things work in the different departments and the roles and responsibilities of different positions. I wanted to know the big picture so I am not just in my truck losing my mind when things happen that don't make sense. Actually, I learned that here! Lol

I've asked my DM how I can do better and be more productive and run more efficient. She tells me I am doing fine and the only area that can improve is fuel mileage, so that what I am working on.

Also, the one example I spoke of wasn't just a worker. He was the owner of the company who also unloads all the trucks. Very small company out in the middle of nowhere Alabama.

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Requesting a new DM

Tha is Old School I appreciate that. I think I'm just getting beyond myself running for 5-6 weeks and home for 5 days. I've got a wife and kids at home and at the end of the day it may just be too much. I'm sure you know, trucking gives you plenty of time to reflect and also to get ticked off at every little thing that goes wrong. I'm some what obsessed with my performance and I don't like when things are out of my control. I'm not totally irrational to the point I cant comprehend our unique situation in this industry but I guess... I'm just complaining to you all at this point. Drive on

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Requesting a new DM

AND, here's something else that just came to mind: what if you get another dispatcher and the new one (in your opinion) is worse???? What will your options be at that point?

I'd be stuck like chuck. Really not sure how to go about this which is why I asked. I do appreciate your response though

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Requesting a new DM

The dispatcher I deal with mostly M-F has 90 drivers. "Overwhelmed" is probably not an adequate description of their daily workload. Something to keep in mind before you send a message over the Qualcomm, or make a phonecall.

We have 50+ drivers and yes I agree. She has much to deal with and I try to only communicate important issues regarding loads and pay discrepancy

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Requesting a new DM

Thanks for the replies. There have been other issues but I'd rather not go into every single detail. The bottom line is this... my DM has taken care of some issues rather quickly while others have seemed to have fallen by the wayside. I'm sure she is overwhelmed and I try not to send her messages or call unless absolutely necessary regarding a load or my pay.

I have called customers to see if I can deliver early and often times that works out great however, it is against company policy. I was caught one time for abusing this policy and dealt with it up front with my DM. I told her that I did it because I needed specific answers questioned for delivery to a job site and to run as efficiently as possible. I did not receive a service alert for it and still do not have any service alerts. I'll tell ya though, I am just frustrated with what appears to be my DMs lack of effort at times.

I guess my expectations were unrealistic and I am doing just fine in terms of miles and pay but I just hoped to have somebody in the office who is as motivated as me.

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Requesting a new DM

So here I am at 6 months and still very much a rookie with a lot to learn about trucking and the industry itself. I find that keeping my cool in all situations helps exponentially, whether it be out on the road or communicating issues with a load to my DM. My frustrations have reached a point where I am not able to trust that my DM is doing her part of our team work. After all team work makes the dream work.

So in my short time driving solo I have been the number 2, 11, and 7 driver on my fleet of 50+ drivers. I have been number 96, 217, and 111 out of 1300+ drivers fleet wide. I am not trying to brag rather, I am trying to paint a picture.

I do not complain to my dm or anybody else in the office. I learned in the military that you do not complain up or down the ranks. I deliver early whenever possible. I sleep at shippers and consignees so that I have a full clock in the morning after loading/unloading. I get good miles, anywhere from 2500-3300.

My issue is that my DM expects me to communicate everything and anything while she does not do the same. There have been several occasions where I have requested information about delivering a load early and I am told no, JIT and strict appointment. I ask the consignee if I had arrived yesterday would you have unloaded me? The answer is yes. When I bring it up I am told the shipper is the customer and JIT is in the load notes. This is not a big contract we are talking about here, just a one time sale/load. I ask my DM if she called the shipper and the answer is no, she just looked in the load note. That frustrates me because, the only reason I am asking if I can deliver early is because I know it's a JIT. If it weren't I would just go ahead and send my ETA and deliver.

I feel as though I have bored ya'll enough so I'll only share this one other instance. This instance revolves around detention which I know is a touchy subject and believe me I'd rather be running and getting paid than sitting on my behind for 4 days. Nonetheless, I sat at a TA in Michigan for 4 days waiting on Ontario OD permits. There were 3 other drivers sitting at the same TA who were all hauling the same freight and waiting on the same permits. On the second day I asked my DM about compensation and was told that this didn't fall into either detention or layover. I found out from another driver to put my detention warning in and that we were going to be taken care of. I informed my DM of this and was told that she knew nothing about it. I followed the typical detention protocol and delivered the load as soon as possible. As stated earlier it took 4 days for Ontario to send over the permits. The following week I inquired about compensation again and was told she knew nothing. I contacted one of the other drivers and asked what he knew about it. He told me we were all going to be paid detention for the entire time. That is what ended up happening. Again that entire ordeal was frustrating and made much more so by my DM.

My company is different though, our DMs don't assign loads, we have separate load planners for that. My DM has commended my driving and efforts and most of the time everything is peachy. I am just feeling a certain kind of way whenever it comes to anything extra beyond picking up and dropping off.

Ok so am I right, wrong, or completely lost about how all this works? What steps do I take from here, if I am right, to remain professional and request a new DM? Am I not communicating my frustration enough to my DM? Am I just being a cry baby?

I do not have thin skin so please send it. Thanks

Posted:  3 weeks, 2 days ago

Tips about flat bed driving

I believe he is referring to slow maneuvers like truck stop parking where a dry van or reefer can 90 into a tight spot.

Yes what you heard is correct. I haven't witnessed it myself but i have seen pictures and heard stories. Take as much space as you need to perform whatever maneuver you are attempting and you will learn where you can and cant go.

The tightest situations you will find yourself in are job sites and anywhere in the northeast. Remember you are the captain of the ship and sometimes customers do not know where that truck can and cant fit. You may need to offer alternate suggestions for unloading. Goodluck!

Posted:  3 weeks, 2 days ago

HOS for new people

I feel like HoS is going to be the biggest challenge. But going thru the module, I have copied a section, that is someone could clarify, I would appreciate it.

You began working at 6:00 a.m. (vehicle inspection, fueling, loading / unloading freight, etc.). That makes 6:00 a.m. your starting calculation point for the 14 hour on duty limit. You must not drive your truck after 8:00 p.m. that evening (14 hours later). You may do other work after 8:00 p.m. (load / unload freight, perform maintenance duties, etc.), but you cannot do any more driving until you have taken 10 consecutive hours off duty. Once you have taken 10 consecutive hours off duty, your 14 hour limit will start over as soon as you go back on duty.

So, if the above is true, work starts at 6am, and so does your 14hr clock, which then ends at 8pm or 2000hrs, why is this telling me I can perform duties after by 14 hr clock, that I can't do before the start at 6am? Wouldn't I do the same loading, unloading, pretrip before my 14hr, so save the start of my 14hrs?

Thanks.

It's not telling you that or you are interpreting it wrong. You can work for however long you want and whenever you want. It will however, seriously screw your entire day up if you log on duty before your 10 is up. You'll have to start your 10 over or do an 8-2 split.

The difference is if you log a little time on duty after your 14 is up, it will just mean a later start in the morning as your 10 will start later.

I don't want to confuse you anymore so bottom line is this, go with the minimum time that your company requires for logging on duty actions and get used to the idea of still working a little while logged off duty. You won't have to every day/night and there will be runs that allow you to take a bit longer than 10 hours every night. It's just about getting it done and setting yourself up for success.

For example.. I get to a shipper and immediately log on duty - secure for 30 min. I am then logged in the sleeper berth for the remainder of the time. Shipper takes 4-5 hours(somewhat rare in flat bed) to begin loading me. It takes me 1-2 hours to secure and tarp. I get a few hours sleep on top of whatever naps I may or may not have got during the delay and when my 10 is up I am. Off I go running nights and still delivering on time or early.

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

HOS for new people

For what it's worth, if the pay were equal, I'd rather be working in the elements than sitting behind a desk.

Posted:  3 weeks, 4 days ago

I need honest opinons

I would stick with Schiender personally they took a chance and hired you after all. If you want physical activity you could try the Dollar General or Dollar Tree account Schiender has you have to hand unload a entire trailer over several stops. But that comes with the added challenge of backing into some of their stores which can be super tight. But they always need drivers for that so you could put in some time and then transfer there.

The other question is would Melton even hire you? They enjoy a pretty good reputation in the industry and might not go for someone who switches jobs before even starting, they would probably think you would do the same to them if some other company cought your fancy.

Obviously I don't work in Meltons recruiting department but, yes they probably would hire him, imo. They struggle with turn over just as much as every other large trucking company and are in no position to go with quality over quantity without downsizing immensely. I received calls from Maverick, McElroy, and TMC recruiters(the only other companies I applied with) throughout orientation and my training with Melton. The industry is one big competition and all of the companies operate much the same. We had several drivers in my orientation alone who quit other companies while still in training. It just is what it is.

Posted:  3 weeks, 4 days ago

HOS for new people

Around 15 min for no tarp and around 30 for tarp. That is what is required by my company and if DOT ever asks how i did it that fast? "Well sir there were a bunch of us at the shipper and they all helped me so i could get on down the road." That does actually happen but it is rare.

I am not sure about the whole work man's comp thing but how would the company know the exact time of injury? Either way, if you are injured out on the road while performing job related tasks, you should be compensated. If you are on your 10 or a 34 and working out and hurt yourself, I'd say no comp. Some companies also offer light duty work while you are recovering from an injury. You do whatever it is you can around the terminal for an hourly wage.

Posted:  3 weeks, 5 days ago

I need honest opinons

He may not have been eligible for the gi bill after only two years but I am no expert.

I work for melton and i can tell you that there are as many horror stories here as with other companies. That doesn't mean melton is a bad company, they just have some bad drivers who lack self awareness and the ability to hold themselves accountable. They also have great drivers who will get out and help you and offer advice no matter if it's at the shipper, consignee, or truck stop. It's the same way everywhere.

You can do well anywhere you go IF, you have dedication and commitment. The Marines should have taught you a little about that I take it. It also helps to have common sense out here. Goodluck.

Why can't you just use your GI Bill and pay for schooling at any place then not be held to a contract? That's what I would do if I was starting out all over again as a veteran.