Comments By Bobcat_Bob

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0036465001636921790-72109.jpg avatar
  • Bobcat_Bob
  • Comments:
  • 1955

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Witte Bros. (something new to me)

Let's say I was looking for a job, OD offers me one but says I have to pay my own way to Thomasville NC to attend orientation. The other offer is from Central Transport and they offer to fly me to Michigan to attend their orientation.

Guess which one I pick 100% of the time?? That's correct OD. Orientation is such a brief event in your career picking a company based off it alone is foolish to say the least.

You complain nobody will hire you. Then someone offers to but won't roll out the red carpet and you turn up your nose.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Objects in the road

I had to go around a truck fuel tank in the road not sure if it had fuel in it or not. That got me thinking what's the strangest thing you have encountered in the road?

In Phoenix on vacation we came up on a state trooper swerving across all lanes of traffic came around a bend in the highway to see another state trooper stopped in the middle lane blocking off a huge piece of steel. Just past that there was a empty flat bed on the shoulder.

Also seen someone with a Uhaul trailer dump an entire bed room set on the highway.

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

Load miles calculation

Zip code to zip code is an antiquated system and should have gone away with the invention of GPS.

No reason every company can't use address to address mileage pay with all the available computer and GPS systems available.

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

Thoughts On Overtime Pay

Kerry there are many companies that pay OT after 8 hours.

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

Thoughts On Overtime Pay

Yes, they should.

I also feel com drivers should get delay pay for sitting in traffic.

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Getting started at od without. experience

6 string hasn't been around for a few years, I do linehaul for OD just not in PA I can try to answer any questions you have.

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Day 1 - ODFL Training Program

Good luck.

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Taking curves too slow?

It takes time to get used to how a truck feels going around a curve over time you will feel more comfortable. Like stated above don't worry about how fast everyone else is going, I've been doing this 4 years now and still get passed by other trucks including other OD trucks. Guess what we arrive at the terminal at the time.

Just don't let that comfort become carelessness.

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

Trainer Shortage?

My company pays trainers an extra $2 an hour. Isn't enough in my opinion to entice someone into training that wouldn't otherwise be interested.

Here they pay 2 hours a day at your hourly rate so it comes out to over $60, plus you still get your mileage even if the trainee does all the driving.

As far hotels each terminal has ones they have special pricing for. If we are stuck out on the road they told me what ever is the first and safest one you can find. If they take a PO great if not we have to pay out of pocket and get reimbursed.

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

Trainer Shortage?

Trainers and trainees both get to sleep in their own beds or a hotel here and we still have a hard time getting trainers.

Plus for a OTR company getting drivers to a hotel everyday would be an expensive nightmare.

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Any recommendations for an unlimited data cell phone plan?

Northern AZ is NOT a good place for TMobile or for sprint. Have sprint, it's garbage. Swapping to verizon on the advice of countless neighbors and co-workers.

My grandfather lived in Prescott Valley, myself with T Mobile and my dad with Sprint didn't have coverage really his was a bit better. After I switched to Verizon didn't have a problem.

Posted:  3 weeks ago

You guys ever

I've had stretchs of multiple days, it just seems really bad today. Like everyone woke up and said " you know what will be a fun family activity?? Let's cut off a truck and get clobbered"

Posted:  3 weeks ago

You guys ever

Have a day where it seems every dumb driver on the road is focused on you? Like they all have a get together at the start of the day, hold up your picture and say "everyone focus on this guy, what ever dumb crap your going to pull do it in front of him".

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

Any recommendations for an unlimited data cell phone plan?

I switched to Verizon from T Mobile and will never look back. Might as have been using smoke signals with T Mobile compared to Verizon.

Verizon is a little more money than some other carriers but the service is worth it.

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

To those few who give truckers a bad rep

My instructor in school said his brother works for IDOT and gets to mow the lawns on the side of the highways and runs over a lot of "trucker bombs". If he was was a fully enclosed mower its not a big deal but in the smaller open ones he received a lot of splash back, especially from the gallon jugs.

Just dispose of it probably it's really not hard. Same for garbage saw a guy here at Loves toss a bag full of garbage out despite a dumpster and garbage can near by.

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

Dmv question

Which state? it maybe different I tested it IL if anything left the box it was a automatic failure. Same if your tires are on the line

Posted:  3 weeks, 4 days ago

16 year olds driving big rigs

I agree with Rob ^^^

Kids have been driving trucks in farms for a long time

Posted:  3 weeks, 4 days ago

Looking for info on LTL

1.5 hours to drop n hook? Cuz when I say .25 I mean quarter hour lol

Opps I was thinking they tossed you a quarter lmao.

A quarter hour makes a lot more sense.

Posted:  3 weeks, 5 days ago

Looking for info on LTL

Dang Banks I wish we got paid for all that....

For hooking, it’s .25 each trailer basically so for a set it’s .50 and triples .75. We don’t get drop pay but if u separate your trailers and put them away it’s .25 each one. We get delay pay and fuel is .50.

Wow, that seems really low. When I started 4 years ago we got 1.50 per drop or hook and for fueling it's gone up since then.

Posted:  3 weeks, 5 days ago

Looking for info on LTL

What other pays do u get such as drop n hook and what not?

We get $2.10 per drop or hook, hooking or breaking down a set is $8.40 each time. We also get $3.60 for fueling, after 2 hours waiting a terminal we are eligible for detention pay.