Comments By Stephanie K.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0360871001547303639-80088.jpg avatar

Posted:  10 months ago

Decided to shutdown

So glad I did. Seeing all the crashes and stranded people on 44 E going into St Louis was a real wake-up call. It's supposed to freeze tonight creating a layer of ice. It's still backed up. Reopened around 2:30. Supposed to warm up tomorrow and refreeze tomorrow night. Going to try and head out tomorrow after the sun comes up. By then I should know more about 70 E thru Illinois. Got both Dot # s for Illinois and MO DOT #. They are very nice and helpful with road conditions. Just been catching up on all my British murder mysteries on Britbox and eating way too many snacks.

Posted:  10 months ago

Decided to shutdown

Thanks. It's pretty clear here in Doolittle MO now, but to MoDOT map still says road closings everywhere near St Louis and Illinois is all icy snow. Not going forward untill I get some good news on DOT websites

Decided to shutdown

Thanks for the encouraging words. Yep Rainy, I Got 10-4/I will let sales know. I 44 is closed EB. Trucks kept sliding down the hill. Not real comfortable trying a different route. I find major highways to be the safest in traveling during snow, ice etc.. I feel that if they are shut down than I am shut down. Looks like I will be parked untill at least tomorrow.

GPS issues

O m g. I was just talking about the phones they used to have on the tables at the truck stop restaurants. I always thought that was so cool

Decided to shutdown

I am heading to PA from AR. Got to MO and parked for the night. Got up at 2 am headed out at 3. About 90 miles down the road, in Dolittle, I hit sleet, wintery mix. Man was that slippery. I pulled over to a truck parking area with a fancy outhouse. Waited till the sun came up and checked the weather and road apps through St Louis, which is where I am going through. They all say road closings, rain, snow and ice. Checked with other Prime drivers and the ones heading that way have been stuck on the highway for hours and advised I do not leave my parking spot. Being new at this I wasn't sure if I was just being a wimp or smart. So I sent my FM a message and said I was staying put for awhile. Seeing the trucks pass by on the highway still makes me wonder if I should try, but my gut says stay put. Any thoughts?

GPS issues

Thanks everyone for the advice. It really helps.

Two right turn lanes....

Dave, even if it is an old thread, it is great for all new drivers to read. Thank you

GPS issues

Yep. I was passing a pilot on the way to OK. So I just stopped. It took 20 min. The casheir was so nice. When you do an update on Garmin it wipes out the maps to reload the new ones and unless you have a home computer, fast internet and 8 or so hours to spare you are basically screwed. You have no maps except Foursquare.

GPS issues

The update kept freezing and another driver came over and said, "oh no. I did the same thing. It won't load. You have to hook it up to a computer. It wiped out all it's maps before it started.". He took his back for an exchange and vowed not to update it. I was able to get a full refund and went with a simpler version of Rand McNally. Since most everyone here uses those I will ask about updates when I am ready to do them. Do I need to update it? It won't connect to my hotspot for some reason. I did get it on, and yes it is navigating. Lol. I know it is Wal Mart. I was frustrated when I sent the message.

GPS issues

I did the factory reset. Then it said there were no detailed maps on the device and it needed it. So I am sitting here running an update on it, but it is slow as molasses.

GPS issues

My new Garmin is on Foursquare and can't find the wall Mart facility in Ochelata Ok. Can anyone help me ? Not sure what happened, but I don't think it was on Foursquare before

Two right turn lanes....

Thank you Rainy. That is exactly what I meant. When I first started driving a car I was taught that is how you refer to both turning lanes. When relaying directions if you needed to make a left after the two right turning lanes you would say, " make a gradual right, then a left". Etc....

Atlas question

Yes that helps and yes I just got the Garmin dezl with the dashcam. Still poking around it. It kept trying to turn me around due to a 10 ton restriction, but there wasn't one. Thought looking over the Atlas would help with my confidence

Atlas question

Ok. I am analyzing my large laminated Atlas. Am I correct that I can drive this truck on the orange, blue and red roads? But not the other roads? I have not really analyzed my routes on it yet, but after getting lost a couple times following my Qualcomm, I now look at it on Google so I have a visual of what I am looking for, use my directions written down on a piece of paper, use my Garmin and Qualcomm, but I would like to map the Atlas as well. Just not sure if I am looking at it right. Thanks in advance for your patience with my ignorance.

Time to go back

Donna, you came about a month before me. You and Kim T helped me decide to do this. I have been out there solo for three weeks. It's been brutal, but rewarding. I hate getting lost, so I finally dug deep and spent 500.00 on a Garmin. Hoping it helps. I still kinda suck at backing, but God bless all the truckers that take the time to guide me into the docks. You have been an inspiration. Thank you. As for losing weight, it's cause we have no time to eat. We drive, sleep and spend all our extra time figuring out this new and crazy career. Glad that you are still out there and posting. Drive safe

Two right turn lanes....

As a new driver I have to chime in on this. I believe they are called extreme or gradual turns depending on which lane you are in. Based on that information alone why would you even consider making an extreme turn in a tractor pulling a 53 foot trailer if you didn't have to???

Posted:  10 months, 2 weeks ago

Welcome back, Old School!

Really glad everything went well. Drive safe. I am just sitting here wondering how I am going to make a left out of this receiver on a busy road with only a stop sign reading TT posts. You guys have been such a great help to me.

Posted:  10 months, 3 weeks ago

First week driving solo

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the advice and encouragement. I just get so excited to be getting loads that I just drive and I don't think to look it up. I had full faith in my directions and the Qualcomm. I know now that it is not always right. But it helps to hear from other truckers that they got lost going there too. Lots have told me so. Even the guard there said alot of people end up in the airport. Send a newbie to Jersey and your gonna have issues. But I hung in there and made it. It was really pretty comical. I only wanted to cry once after leaving the airport and driving around the city streets trying to not do a u turn in the middle of the road like the Qualcomm told me to. Oh hell no!!!! By the time I popped the tire be it was like, "ok, this is pretty funny. It can't get any worse even if the truck spontaneously catches fire.". I always try to find the humor in situations I can't change. Life is just too darn short.

Posted:  10 months, 3 weeks ago

First week driving solo

Well, it's been interesting. No time to shower or a breather. Thank God for Burt's Bees wipes. Taking time to back up, etc... Has cut into all extra time needed for hygiene issues. Being a newbie and all. As soon as I dropped a load I had another one. Everything was going fine until I get to NJ. Qualcomm says Anheiser Busch is on the left so I take the only left there is. End up heading to the arrival ramp at Newark airport. See a sign that says 8 1/2 feet with cars anround my truck like locuts. I pull my brakes, slap on my flashers and call 911. The police man that escorted me back to the highway was very nice. Get back on 1 &9 and spend an hour driving in circles till Google helps me figure out that my 01 is on the right. Get there on time only to forget to slide my tandems forward on the trailer I picked up before I make the tight turn onto their outgoing scale. Popped a trailer tire. Lessons learned the hard way!!! We shall see what this week brings!!! Stay safe out there everyone. Just got told I am heading to Toledo!!! Gotta go!!!

Posted:  10 months, 4 weeks ago

Here I go!!!!

Got my first load. So nervous I want to vomit. Waiting for scale at Prime. Send prayer of safe travels and successful delivery!!! Thanks