Comments By Jamie

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0913526001557184713-80365.jpg avatar
  • Jamie
  • 1 year, 4 months ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Brag Thread!!!!

Thanks Marc, we are both excited it has all come together.

Congrats Michael. I know what you speak of though. I get customers thanking me all the time for being on time, and not hitting anything. There are so many steering wheel holders out here today it isn’t funny.

While I was still driving for Schneider, I picked up from a place in Minnesota, some of the craft cheese. Anyways, I got there about 20 minutes before my appointment, and the guy was pretty shocked and said how Schneider drivers are usually late there. I got a pretty good laugh, by far the fastest I ever got loaded, from the time I walked in and backed into the dock, I was loaded in about 12 minutes.

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Trucking Truth Driver Productivity Leaderboard

It also depends on if your company allows you to do the 8/2 split, because both Crete and my previous company Schneider doesnt allow drivers to do it. I mean the logs will allow you, but you'll get in trouble company policy wise.

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Going Great With Crete So Far

I honestly need to take the advice on getting rest whenever possible, as that is one reason I enjoy doing a reset weekly. It's so I can catch up on sleep. But turning 3000 miles a week, and having a reset in there is also possible.

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Going Great With Crete So Far

Jamie, I love your plan. Focus on turning 2,500 perfect miles per week, every week.

What's a perfect week look like for you at this stage?

• Be early to every appointment
  • Don't put a scratch on that truck
  • Keep dispatch updated at all times
  • No logbook violations
  • Get good rest at every opportunity
  • Keep searching for ways to get the job done more efficiently

If you'll keep doing that, you'll build a great reputation and you'll continue to get the job done more efficiently. Before long, you'll turn 3,000 miles per week as easily as you're turning 2,500 miles per week now. Dispatch will sing your praises and you'll be at the top of the pay and performance charts for your fleet.

Great job!

That perfectly describes the perfect week! I'm always looking for ways to improve, might not seem that way from some of my posts. But I can ensure you, I am improving when I can and learning new lessons along the way.

I am sure over time turning 3000 miles a week will be easy, but for now its something I will work up too. but I'm working on what Crete can expect from me for the time being, as I get to that point. So far they are happy with my performance and have been keeping me preplanned usually a day before I make my delivery, in order to keep me rolling. I'm making all the appointment times, and even getting some moved around when possible. Not how you or someone else will, but it gets the job done sometimes.

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Going Great With Crete So Far

Jamie, even if they don't get your appointment changed keep up that pace and practice. You may end up sitting a bit, but make sure you've sent a macro indicating you are at the customer. Keep that practice up. This is how you show them that you are capable of being productive. Eventually your dispatcher will recognize your abilities and have to keep you dispatched accordingly. He doesn't want his managers asking him, "Hey why is this guy Jamie sitting around all the time. He's showing up like he should. What's the problem here?"

You have a tremendous amount of influence in how you are dispatched, but you have to keep a consistent record of performance. It all hinges on your consistent performance.

That's the plan! Thanks for the advice. That's actually one of the main reasons I'm fine with running around 2500 miles a week, because I know I can do that constantly and they can expect that from me every week, I would get burnt out if I was pushing for 3000 miles every week, now I will have weeks where I will push for 3000 miles, but I'm aiming for a range they can expect every week.

Maybe long term, I will work on increasing my average weekly miles, but got to start somewhere.

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Going Great With Crete So Far

That's great Jamie! Is the appointment change something you requested of your dispatcher? Or is it something the dispatcher recognized and took his own initiative? I'm just curious. Either way it's a good thing.

By moving appointments up like that you're accomplishing the very thing I mentioned earlier concerning being successful at trucking. A key element to making money in trucking is maximizing utilization of our asset (the truck) by using a high percentage of our 70 hours each week for productivity.

I requested the appointment be moved up yesterday morning when I stopped for my 10 hour break, and figured I'd get there by 21:00 tonight which I'm still on track. Thankfully they did get the appointment moved for tonight instead of tomorrow! I am also already preplanned for another load that will take me through the weekend.

I'm currently 120 miles away, drove over night about 600 miles to stay on track. smile.gif

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Extreme Makeover

This is exactly why I check both sides of the truck out whenever I am away from the truck, in case someone hit one side while I was inside, etc.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Going Great With Crete So Far

Picked up this reefer load yesterday, drop and hook, turned into live load, currently about 750 miles away. I'm one day ahead, dispatch is currently in works of getting the appointment moved up. Because the load was orginally supposed to deliver on 11/10 at 13:00.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Need a Job

One year old, have you driven in the past year? And how much experience so you have?

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Question on Testing

I sometimes drink during my home time, but generally I will only do that the first day I'm home, so it'd be another two to three days before I return to work, and I have no responsibility regarding the truck since its parked at a company yard. Of course that was when I was OTR with Schneider, I haven't had a home time yet with Crete.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Going Great With Crete So Far

You dont miss the heart pounding excitement of waiting for a message from dispatch while acting like your having a hard time closing your doors or sliding tandems after getting unloaded while the shipping guy gives you dirty looks because he wants you off the property ASAP and the closest truck stop is a 30 spot in city pilot filled with day cabs and drop trailers?

I cannot say that I do! shocked.png

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Student Driver

Good luck with your training, and don't forget to keep us updated!

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Going Great With Crete So Far

Im curious though do you still run on short days? With those hours im sure you end up with like a 4 or 5 hour day coming back to you. On those days do you do a reset?

I generally like to do a reset once a week basically, it allows me to catch up on sleep and things like that. Everyone does things differently, but thats how I like to do it.

On the topic regarding my miles, I have actually driven 3000 miles in a single week but the last load fell into another pay period so I don't consider it a 3000 mile week. Like this week for example my reset will be over tomorrow night with 2250 or so miles for this week and my next load is a little over 1600 miles but it will deliver after the end of the pay period(Friday at midnight).

Im not knocking resets just curious. I have friends who do the same every week they reset and others who run recaps like i do. My dispatcher is the same i had as a trainee and he doesn't seem to be a fan of resets. I guess because Ive never done one im curious and have questions. I also rarely get preplanned and i think that contributes..... My dispatcher can see my hours and sets me up accordingly although that can suck when the "no freight" message pops up. Or the you're #4 on the list message comes up.

Yeah everyone can handle it their own way, run recaps or reset whatever fits you best. I had that problem when I was with schneider, I always ended up in dead freight zones they called them and I would end up sitting around longer then I wanted to. Sometimes I would have to wait a few extra hours for a load, sometimes I got a load right as I got to the customer, other times I would end up taking a 10 hour break early. Maybe it was me, or maybe I really was in a dead freight zone.

Regardless, that didn't happen all the time but it did happen quite a bit the last few months before I went local with schneider. But I have since left schneider on good terms, and went to Crete and have been loving it so far. Since I got my own truck, I have been preplanned a day before I even made my delivery. Like today, I was preplanned before I even left the customer to go to my parking location for tomorrow night.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Going Great With Crete So Far

Okay makes more sense. I'm sure I'll understand better when I'm out there. Are Resets a bad thing? Or just you try not to do them so you can keep turning miles?

It's not about miles, it's about the 70 hour clock we have to use in 8 days.

If you use 8 3/4 hours every day, you'll never need a reset.

Resets are not required, unless you run out of hours. After 8 consecutive days, you get the hours back from 9 days ago.

Past 3 days in a row, I have driven between 477 and 491 miles each day, using between 8.1 and 8.3 hours each day.

It's really up to each driver, some drivers like to run off recaps and others like to reset. You can generally run the same amount of miles and still do a reset.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Going Great With Crete So Far

Im curious..... Forget miles. Whats your average daily drive time/on duty time in the 8 day period?

My Average daily drive time is a little over 8 hours, some days more, some days less. But that's the average. My on duty average ranges, as some days I'm only on duty less then an hour(on duty not driving), other days I was on duty for over 2 hours. That was mostly me forgetting to change my stutus due to a bad habit I developed when I was on a local account.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Going Great With Crete So Far

What people were asking Jaime about was why is he running out of hours on his 70hr clock but only having 2500 miles. I think...??? I am a noob myself so i dunno.

You're right about that and I explained in previous replies. smile.gif

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Going Great With Crete So Far

Can someone explain to me the rookie who is still waiting on orientation and training what the average miles someone should have before a reset or will I learn that in training. I'm sorta confused on everyone is asking Jaime why he had to do a reset already ?? Help my rookie brain understand lol.

Everyone is different, but if done right and you're up for it, drivers can easily run 2500-3000 miles a week before needing to do a reset or run off of recaps. Also depends on the loads you are given that week. To each their own, I myself can run 3000 miles a week if I want to push hard enough; I'm perfectly fine running between 2200-2500. Currently I'm aimming to do around 2500-2700 miles a week.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Going Great With Crete So Far

It does seem like low miles for an otr driver on my new home daily im still averaging 2650 a week and im home all weekend and 12 hours a day hope things pick up for you

I run about 2500 miles give or take each week so far, the last two weeks I could've hit 3k miles but the last load I was given delivered on the next pay period, happened two weeks now haha.

When I was on the local home depot account, I got into the habit of not worrying about changing my duty status and letting it go from driving to on duty not driving by itself, since I was either driving or doing something work related and hours wasnt anything to worry about. I've been working on getting past that bad habit and going off duty when possible to save more time.

But over all I'm fine with the miles I'm driving now, it provides more then enough income to support my wife and I, for weeks I want to run hard, I will. Otherwise it'll be like it is now, where I get weeks around 2200-2500. I dont take breaks any longer then i need to, I'm up and ready to drive when my 10 hour break is over.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Going Great With Crete So Far

Just parked for my reset, already got a preplan for tomorrow night, a little over 1600 miles. It's also a reefer load.

I'll reply to you message in a bit Old School, just getting things put away.