Comments By Jamie

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0913526001557184713-80365.jpg avatar
  • Jamie
  • 1 year, 12 months ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  3 months ago

Questions on cretes trucks

1) Sure you can, I see people do it all the time. Our equipment is pretty new, so you might actually get s truck with a refrigerator in it already. No promises, but its possible to put your own in there from the drivers I have seen.

2) No but yes, we cannot just idle our trucks as much as we want. But we do have opi idle on all of our trucks to keep our batteries charged and for AC on those hot days. So the truck will turn on when it needs to either charge the batteries or cool the truck down.

3) Sure he can! I actually have a PS4 with me that I use every now and then, plugged into the outlet, it doesn't cut off during the time the truck comes on and cuts off during certain times.

Now I do believe our older trucks would cut the power off to the inverter for a moment, but the 2020 trucks do not. But you can help prevent that by buying one of those uninterrupted power supply that you can plug into the inverter under the bed, and plug everything into that since its basically a battery in itself and will only use the battery power to prevent the TV and xbox from losing power during the power cycles. I had one in the 2017 freightliner I had, but I don't have one for the 2020 truck I have now and it doesn't cut anything off.

Hopefully that answered your questions.

Posted:  3 months ago

Got an overweight ticket and passed a level 3 inspection

Jamie my approach dealing with Walmart backhauls always begIns by reviewing the vendor BOL. The number of pallets together with the load weight should determine where to set your tandems and if it makes sense to scale.

Yeah, I reviewed the bills and looking back I don't remember it mentioning the amount of pallets, just listed all the products and nunber or cases and what not.

Of course I could have over looked it, but I'm scale backhaul loads in the future when it makes sense to do so.

I did turn the paperwork into Crete today and there was mention of getting reimbursed since I was only over on my axel weight and not gross weight, so I was able to fix it. If I do, that'll be great. Wasn't even expecting that considering it was totally my fault.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Got an overweight ticket and passed a level 3 inspection

Well then life is pretty much perfect for you out there. If you can get 3,000 miles per week you're raking in the money, your company is taking great care of you, and you're doing a great job. That scale ticket is no tragedy. You take some calculated risks out there. You win most, you lose some. That's just part of playing the game.

Keep it up, man! Sounds like you're doing fantastic.

Oh yeah, Crete has been great to me! They have been keeping me super busy both when I was OTR and since I switched to this Walmart Dedicated account.

I almost laugh at the statement I made early on about being okay running 2500 miles a week. It has been extremely easy for me to hit 3000 miles a week, and that's with having a reset in every week. I typically run 500-600 miles a day, as all of our loads are round trips with the occasional backhaul like today.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Got an overweight ticket and passed a level 3 inspection

Jamie, I'm guessing they didnt give you a chance to slide axles to be legal before writing you a ticket?

Nope, they told me to park and bring my paperwork, etc inside and said something along the lines of "Heres the deal, I'm going to be writing you a citation for being overweight on your drive axles". After that, he asked me to send my logs over so he could go over those as well. Over all the guy was nice and respectful, just doing his job.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Got an overweight ticket and passed a level 3 inspection

Expensive lesson but many of us have taken the same chance. Great job keeping your equipment in acceptable shape.

Are you still enjoying working on that account?

Yeah, I don't always take a chance, but I've had a few times before and scaled legally when I got pulled in. But not this time, but I knew it was a gamble when I left and hoped for the best.

Oh yeah, a few things I don't like but that doesn't outweigh the miles I am getting on this account! I ran a little over 3300 miles for last week. I've been staying very busy. One thing I dont like is the very unpredictable work schedule, such as when I take my 10 hour break, I might get a load assigned to me but it might not be ready for hours afterwards, like two weeks ago I took my 10 hour break, and my load wasn't ready until 9 more hours making a total waiting time of 19 hours. It's hard to know when I should sleep, so I've been taking the chance to sleep any chance I get while waiting for my load to get ready.

But even with the long waits in between loads some days, I run 3000 or more miles a week.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Got an overweight ticket and passed a level 3 inspection

Got an overweight ticket this morning for being 1800 pounds overweight on my drive tires, along with a level 3 inspection which I passed.

I was in a hurry to make the 280 mile drive back to the Walmart DC with a backhaul I picked up from Tyson, 37,000 pounds, slide the tandems and left as I would've made it back to the DC with minutes to spare. So I skipped the scaling process which I dont usually do on a load like this, but took a gamble and obviously lost this time.

The fine was $75, plus a $49 court cost.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Harassment & blocking diesel pumps

Rule 1 of fueling, never pull behind a pickup truck or an RV, they generally do not care about how long they take.

Companies that hire felons

What type of felonies are we talking about here? Western Express is known for giving people with felonies a second chance, but depending on what the felonies were, you might have more options.

Posted:  4 months ago

Harvest? Victor? Western Express?... Old School?

Western Express CEO posted an update yeaterday on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/468067016563721/posts/2738943416142725/

Wouldnt let me post the hyperlink version, kept saying invalid page.

Running on Cretes Walmart Dedicated Fleet

Finished the week off with 3249 miles for the week, all miles driven this week since Saturday(start of pay week) until now.

Running on Cretes Walmart Dedicated Fleet

0756623001583399051.jpg

Running on Cretes Walmart Dedicated Fleet

Making my way back up to Bismarck, ND. The whole trip is a little less than 1000 miles. Oddly enough, I get a good laugh about comments I made early on with switching to Crete about running 2500 miles a week, I basically hit 3000 miles a week easily or get very close to it.

This will be the last load for this pay period, putting me at a little over 3200 miles for this week alone, doing a 34 hour reset once I get back to the DC tomorrow.

Posted:  4 months ago

Will anyone hire me without having my license valid for a year?

Although a lot of companies require people to have their licenses for a year for insurance reasons, I knew someone who got accepted at Schneider for paid training(sponsored schooling and training since Schneider doesn't have their own school) while only having their license for a month before being accepted. So it's not impossible, and I would recommend looking into Schneider and possibly applying there.

Running on Cretes Walmart Dedicated Fleet

Today turned out great, since the entire load was for the same store and it was a dry load. They just simply let me swap trailers with one in the dock already, it even had some pallets coming back to the DC, so I didn't have to come back empty which was like a 585 mile trip back today.

Running on Cretes Walmart Dedicated Fleet

18:30 is the dock-put time. Which means, the latest time the load can depart and check-out through security. It's normal that loads are available hours in advance of the dock-out time. Dry loads are often ready 12 hours ahead of the dock-out. Reefer loads run much tighter since they tend to be more of a just-in-time delivery (because of limited freezer and refrigeration space at the stores).

Good luck with this!

Thanks for the information, been learning on the go in a crash course style learning! But staying very busy.

1170 miles later made it back to the DC around 1:35 central time tonight. Was delayed coming into the gate as another driver literally drove half a mile at 3 MPH to not trigger his eld I assume. Finally got to go around him after a bit.

Running on Cretes Walmart Dedicated Fleet

Is there a set time you typically will be picking up a new load or are you given a window such as 3am-3pm for leaving the gate?

So far my experience has been being assigned a load where it isnt supposed to be ready for a few more hours but the DC is pretty quick about loading and gets it ready a few hours before. For example today's load wasn't supposed to be ready until 18:30 but it was ready when it was assigned to me at 15:00.

Delivery wise, the appointments are set by Walmart for store deliveries but we can delivery anywhere between 0900 to 2359(depending on store hours, as some close at night) and the store has to accept us anytime during that window.

Like my current load since it was picking up so late in the day and was 580 miles away, I wont make my delivery until after my 10 hour break, which I just got to Minot, ND. So it won't be until around 2pm today, only 3 miles from the store.

Running on Cretes Walmart Dedicated Fleet

Congrats and best from here, Jamie! Grass won't grow under your feet, lol. Yours is a nice example of a good opportunity to move to a more desired position once some solid skills have been attained. It's been very informative reading along in your posts.

Thanks!

Got my next preplan picking up in a few hours here at the DC, going up to Minot, ND. 1170 mile round trip, got a full load of 43,000 pounds going up to this Walmart. First load I got only going to a single store.

Posted:  4 months ago

My dispatch asking me to be a TNT trainer

Such a requirement would essentially cripple the trucking industry as we know it. How many 10+ year drivers do you know that have zero preventables, and also want to train? How could they possibly keep up with the steadily increasing need for quality drivers?

I just don't see it happening.

Adding onto Turtles reply, just because someone can drive a truck for 10+ years and have one million safe miles with zero preventable accidents, doesn't mean they would make great trainers. Some people are great at their jobs but couldn't teach it to someone else to save their lives.

Running on Cretes Walmart Dedicated Fleet

Its official, I transferred over to the Walmart Dedicated Fleet out of North Platte, NE. Signed the paperwork today. I took a 4 cent per mile decrease, but with the consistent miles and stop off pay, I will be making the same money if not a little more than I did OTR. Pretty excited, been loving the account so far. Been driving a lot of miles, working long days which is what I want out here.