Profile For Robert D. (Raptor)

Robert D. (Raptor)'s Info

Sacramento, CA

Company Driver In Training

7 months, 2 weeks ago

Robert D. (Raptor)'s Bio

Started driving in June of 1998 after finishing truck school. Started out as a tomato driver with Panella Trucking out of Stockton, California, and Button Transportation out of Dixon, California (I was still married then). In between time of trucking (seasonal work), I was an Electrician.But after 7 years of doing both, I quit electrical and devoted full time to trucking and went back to Button and drove for them full time. During winter I'd haul Hazmat Chemicals. But it still didn't satisfy me. So I got this sweet gig hauling fuel from 2006-2009. I worked 4-10 hour shifts. Monday, Tuesday, off Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, off Saturday and Sunday. Then we lost a big contract with Shell and 5 of us were let go. That's when I went to Fedx Ground for eight months. After that I was to start with a start up company that had a dedicated run from Stockton to Oakland twice a day. I was to start on July 21, 2010. But on July 20th, I was involved in a motorcycle-4wd truck accident. Needless to say I never was able to start that gig. I was pretty messed up. After 5 surgeries and physical therapy, I have decided to go back to truck school and get back into trucking. This time I'm not sure if I'll go back on the road or do local again. School Starts 17 Sept.

Robert D. (Raptor)'s Photo Gallery

Posted:  2 hours, 3 minutes ago

Slow cookers

I have a 2 qt from Walmart. Plus use the liners. I can buy a chuck roast and cut it in half, put in my veggies and seasoning, add a little water. Put it on high and in 5-6 hours nice dinner waiting at the end of the day. It cost $9.95. I know the liners are for 5-6qt crocks but it still limits the amount of clean up. I was going to call the company that makes the liners to see if they have smaller liners.

Posted:  1 week ago

Wash those hands frequently

Got that Tractor Man. I can't believe some of them. Won't go into details. Soon as get back to my tractor I wipe my hands and then anything I've touched. So you're not a germaphobe, just common sense.

Posted:  1 week ago

CPAP Cleaner Question

This is good info I can't seem to get rid of either allergies or cold since I've been on the truck. When I'm home I use the kitchen sink with hot soapy water. They told not to use Dawn but Joy. Dawn is too strong on the hose and mask.

Rainy how big is this So Clean machine? Is it as big as the cpap machine? Anyway I am so tired of the sneezing and runny nose part of using the cpap.

Posted:  1 week ago

Truck comparison

When I drove tankers they had all Pete's. It climbed hills and mountains a lot better than my freightliner. I think the companies buy the smallest powertrains. I understand the costs are better with fl, but at least put a better powertrain in them. And definately go back to a standard tranny. If you can't drive a stick than find another line of work. Or master it. You didn't just wake up when you were learning to walk and start running. It takes practice. My only positive thing to say about autoshift is when I'm in traffic. No other positive response from me. Sorry G-town..........

Posted:  1 week ago

Truck comparison

I have a question for ya'll. When I was in a 2016 fl I got 7.5 mpg with a 13 sp. When I got into the 2018 fl I get 6.2/6.3mpg. So I'm not convinced that the autoshift is better in fuel economy than the manual. Plus I could go 68 mph in 2016.

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

The photo and opportunity that took almost 7 years to achieve!

Congratulations that is an awesome photo. I came across an OD with triples in Colorado so that's where you must be. Triples is a little scary in windy areas. But great job.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Manual or Automatic?

I'll try it down the grapevine tomorrow or tonight which ever I get my next load. I have training in about an hour at the terminal for close quarters maneuvers. Then a trip to Sacramento and home to put things in motion to vacate my apartment. That's for another thread.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Manual or Automatic?

After being in the 13 speed with my first mentor and gone through 2 others with autoshift, and of course my 2018 that I now drive, I can say the 2016 13 got better mileage than any of the 3 autoshifts. The only benefit I see in the autoshift is in traffic and lots of city driving. I don't like the way it backs. I don't like the way in tight turns it tells me the clutch is overheating. I can't keep my my downhill speed from going crazy unless I have it in cruise and using the Jake. I got 7.5 average with the 13 speed and 6.2 with the autoshifts. So what is the benefit? You say well you're not paying for the fuel Swift is. Well, I have to stop more often for fuel. Plus I could control my backing speed and downhill speed better. I asked if they had any manuals anywhere in these UNITED STATES, where there was a manual but was told bluntly NO.

YOU will never convince me that the autoshift is better. As Rainy said, Sniff, sniff.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Tractor Man

I guess they figured you can handle it. So you're a pickup man besides being Tractor Man! Maybe next time.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

How long has it been since you updated your location?

Brett when I was in North Carolina last week it said you were only 125 miles from me. Now I know you are in NY so I don't think that NC is that close to NY. But hey that is the closest I have been to you since I started on here. Who knows what the web will do? Raptor

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Tractor Man

Are you at Jurupa Valley? I'm down the road at the Petro. Truck Stop. Jurupa Valley doesn't have the shower finished yet. But I'll be back to The terminal tomorrow morning.

Posted:  2 weeks ago

How long has it been since you updated your location?

Just a few minutes ago for me. It only takes a couple of minutes. (Shaming y'all)

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Can you be an actual owner/operator at Prime?

Here's another thing to consider. You went home for 2 days, now your ready They give only 100 miles for the rest of the week. Now what?

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Side effects from cancer treatment: Radiation

Michael

I have had to go through lung cancer, motorcycle accident. I know some of the issues you're talking about. With my trainers we always were near a restroom. But be advised, with the meds for not having to get up at night. Once you start then you're on them for life. But they have a med to get off that one. Kind of redundant but that is what I had to do. The meds before were only 62% effective. So now they might have a better one. Talk openly with you Urologist. Don't hold anything back. Mine was cause by the catheter when I was in the motorcycle accident. Men were not meant to have one in for 47 days or longer. Anyway at least it's only once a night now. Not four. But as Packrat said, get your med stuff done before you jump into this.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Today has been a doozy!

After I sat for hours at the shipper yesterday and wasted all my hours there. I get up to a full clock. I go to the consignee, the tandoms will not disengage so they won't slide back the air valve won't lock. I open up the doors and the forklift driver stabbed his forks through 2 bags of dolomite (it is a powder that goes around trees). Spilling all over my refer floor. So when I'm done I call to get a refer washout. But before I can go to my next load I have to get the tandoms fixed. The closest one is in Boise. I'm in Caldwell. So Off I go to get them fixed. So here is my second late assignment because of mechanical problems.

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

I am not confident but company wants me to take the driving test

When I went down to take my test,after the pretrip and we were driving to the skills part, he said before we took off,"You're probably very nervous right now, don't be, you have got this." And didn't say anything else except where to turn and such. When we got back he said congratulations I'll see you inside. I sat in the truck for a few minutes to absorb it all. Then turned off the truck threw the key to my instructor and went to sign the final paperwork.

You've got this, just keep in mind what you have learned and what you have to do.

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

6 Months OTR

Great Job, Jamie!

It's one mile stone down and many to go. But like this one you'll tackle it like the others. Congratulations. But like you said, don't get complacent or too comfortable, it bite you in the a**. I was thinking the same thing yesterday when I was taking off from getting fuel. This day cabber came flying by me when the snow flurries were flying so fast you couldn't see more than 150 feet max. I thought he is going to wreck or hurt someone. I just kept my slow steady pace.

Keep it up Jamie, you have this.

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

Testing out next week

Grumpy

Keep up the good work you'll e there before you know it. Just remember to breathe. Just think of all that you have learned, and what all you need practice with. And focus on the things you need practice with. I know time sometimes doesn't let us focus on them, try when you have a moment when your in the bunk. Think about how you have made the trailer turn, and why it needs to turn this way or that. I had a really tough one today, ut then I remembered exactly how the back end had to get passed the pallet of rock salt on my blind side and not hit the trailer on my sight side. Plus not hit on coming traffic in both directions. As I watched the trailer make it move, I though maybe just maybe I'm starting to get this. But it takes practice and sometimes in training you don't have the time to practice as you need.

Sorry to be long winded, but I think I was trying to convey to you that the more you practice the more it seems like we have done our do diligence to achieve some goals. When I did fuel tankers we might back up maybe 10-15 feet max. So it has been just as nerve racking to me as it is to all the other rookies.

So go get this that you have strived for. Kick its a**.

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

Looking For Feedback - Would You Guys Like To See Today's Trucking News Headlines? Give me some ideas

All good points. When I posted the other day about another's roll over, I didn't mention the company name, because I didn't want to start bashing the company.

It would have been to mention these because the snow was heavy on the roads and the cleanup crew were having trouble keeping up.

But yes the latest trucking news would be good on the general forum.

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Swift Dedicated Questions

It's nice to know that the dedicated accounts pay that well. Interesting.