Profile For Robert D. (Raptor)

Robert D. (Raptor)'s Info

Sacramento, CA

Rookie Solo Driver

11 months, 2 weeks ago

Robert D. (Raptor)'s Bio

Started driving in June of 1998 after finishing truck school. Started out as a tomato driver with Panella Trucking out of Stockton, California, and Button Transportation out of Dixon, California (I was still married then). In between time of trucking (seasonal work), I was an Electrician.But after 7 years of doing both, I quit electrical and devoted full time to trucking and went back to Button and drove for them full time. During winter I'd haul Hazmat Chemicals. But it still didn't satisfy me. So I got this sweet gig hauling fuel from 2006-2009. I worked 4-10 hour shifts. Monday, Tuesday, off Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, off Saturday and Sunday. Then we lost a big contract with Shell and 5 of us were let go. That's when I went to Fedx Ground for eight months. After that I was to start with a start up company that had a dedicated run from Stockton to Oakland twice a day. I was to start on July 21, 2010. But on July 20th, I was involved in a motorcycle-4wd truck accident. Needless to say I never was able to start that gig. I was pretty messed up. After 5 surgeries and physical therapy, I have decided to go back to truck school and get back into trucking. This time I'm not sure if I'll go back on the road or do local again. School Starts 17 Sept.

Robert D. (Raptor)'s Photo Gallery

Posted:  1 day, 1 hour ago

JRod

You have probably already moved from Council Bluffs TA on the border between Iowa and Nebraska. But if you haven't I'm going to be here until 3AM local. There is a Grey Refrigerated tractor and a Central Refer across from the fuel pumps.

Posted:  1 day, 5 hours ago

What have you learned from Trucking Truth?

What I learned from TT is that the people here on this site have helped me come back to the job I love. I have had a rocky start back but it has gotten better. Not saying that I'm floating on air, but with the help of so many(too many to mention),it has helped a lot. I'm on sorry that I haven't had the chance to meet anyone but Tractor Man. There might be a change coming, not sure. Family stuff rearing it's ugly head. But that's for another thread. Raptor

Posted:  6 days ago

How Many Times Do You ACTUALLY UNLOAD YOURSELF?

Hey Rainy you do it and get more money for your spa time! Lol I got to a shipper with a load the was T-Called. They didn't put any load locks on the load and the last pallet had tip over. When I opened the doors I immediately let them know in the shipper office. They told me to go down to the lumper desk and let them know and see if we can either restock or are they going to refuse. So I went down there and got and older lumper and we restocked it together. He said he always gets loads like that from that company. And thanked me for helping him restock it. He had never had a driver help before. But that was the only time I had done that.

Posted:  6 days, 22 hours ago

Companies with Best Trucks

Go through all the training stuff here at TT and don't forget to read Brett's book on what to expect out here. This is a smaller version of what I would normally write new people coming into trucking but they are getting ready to open the gates at the Menedoz but others will chime in. You should pay attention to all you can get out of this fantastic site here. You will get the truth and nothing but the truth. But as Brett said it doesn't look as if you have done any research into trucking. Seeing a the fancy trucks out there is nice eye candy. But focus on getting the best training you can get. Gotta go they are opening the gate. Good luck.

Posted:  6 days, 23 hours ago

Packrat

Yep the food is really good. Parking has been pretty full.since yesterday. But then it usually fills on the weekends.

Well Packrat I hope you get your tractor soon. Another time then.

Posted:  1 week ago

Doing The Happy Dance.. My sweetie is doing better

Susan

Wow what weird thing to happen when you on home time working on your place. But great news he's better, and congratulations on your upcoming nuptials.

Posted:  1 week ago

Swift hair follicle test

I had the test done when I went through Orientation at Swift. There were 2 guys that were bald and she took hair off their legs. But she said she could take it off anywhere.

You can't screw around with this. As Spaceman Spiff said, One failed test kiss this career goodbye forever. Period. If haven't been clean for at least 6 months, I would wait til then.

Posted:  1 week ago

Packrat

Well I tried to get Menedoz yesterday by 1430 but the trailer I picked up in Aurora yesterday was pretty dirty inside. By the time I cleaned it it, it was going to be questionable to get there by then. It was 1445 when I rolled in. Anyway I've been at the TA ever since. And they take no appointments just need to start in by 1700 on Sunday. If you can get over to the Ta, I buy ya a cup of coffee.

Posted:  1 week ago

Packrat

Are you still at the TA in Morris, Il?

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

What a mistake

Bruce K

Your afraid you might have sit for a couple of hours are you?

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

What a mistake

Love the Iron Skillet. I wish all the truck stops had restaurants instead of fast food. I so sick of Wendy's, Subway and Popeyes.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

What a mistake

I had all weekend to fuel my trailer, but I though after I get unloaded and start heading for my next stop about 100 miles away. Well when I got to the shipper (just across the street, Hershey's), I was told that they were too busy being it was Monday and I would have to drop it. And take my pick of empties. Well I had a out 1/4 tank left and I had to fill it to at least 3/4 full before dropping. Now is where the stupidity on my part, there was a Muphy's a out 2 miles down the road. They don't take comdata cards or checks. So she said the Marathon in Lawrenceville 19 miles had diesel. Great I travel back there through construction roads a d the sign says no semis. 12'10" canopy. I trek back to Murphy's and put in 73 bucks worth on my card and of course turn the receipt with my load number. Moral story, either get fuel before you get to destination or go through the time , and fuel to get fuel.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Training During Summer vs. Winter

I started 28 December 2018 and seeing most of the loads were 42000-44000 lbs it made it easier because of the weight. I'm not saying that it was all Rose's, but I kept my speed appropriately for the conditions. Just remember, you are not the only one on the road so you will to keep that in mind. Be easy on the throttle and easy on the brakes and you should do fine. I hadn't driven in snow or ice in maybe 25 years so it took a little adjustment. Good luck and don't be a stranger. There are so many with lots more experience than I, that will give the right advice.

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

How do couples work their hours?

Amber Welcome to TT. As Turtle and Errol said you'll find lots of true info here. Be advised going through the the training together you will be together most of the time. But once you have your CDL and go to the second phase of training you will be with a trainer or mentor as some companies call them. Then there will be maybe 6 months of solo unless you arrange it with the company you and your hubby go with. These are just some of the things that you will be facing.

I wish you both the best. The High Road training material here on TT is a very valuable resource for both of you to look into.

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Concealed Carry friendly carriers

I agree Old School,

I don't think I have been to any place to pickup or deliver that hasn't had a sign, "NO WEAPONS OF ANY KIND" Then they show a picture of a hand gun with a line through it. And as you said they stay at home.

I don't know the math on the subject of drivers being attacked but I.think it is in the very low ones.

Ohioman1972

This has been debated many times on here, I think the last time was a couple of months ago. Look I to the archives you'll find it there.

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

Help finding the right trucking company!

Nikki

I also drive for Swift, I reliving my dream. But as Old School and Tractorman have said, there will always be someone who has not made for some reason who bad mouths the company they either quit because they couldn't handle it or got fired for maybe the same reason. My instructor and the principal of the school I attended both told me to stay away from Swift. But here I am, traveling in my trucking home.

But you make what you want to in this life. No matter what company he goes with, there will be ups and downs. But I have to let 99% roll off down my back. Life is too short to not compromise with all that goes on out here. Otherwise you be like those that complain all the time and get nowhere. Good luck to you and your hubby. Talk to as many recruiters as he feels the need to, and have a list of the pros and cons for each company. It will be easier when you finally make your decision.

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

Roundabouts are becoming popular; but are they best for trucks?

They coming popular everywhere. There is place I've been several times in Indiana. This one road I had to travel to get to it has four roundabouts in a row. And each one my tandoms hit the corner of the roundabout. They were redoing a other one to make it easier for trucks to navigate around. They serve a purpose. But I have to take up both lanes to navigate them. I know it is not ok with the locals there but what can I do. It's better than taking one of their cars out.

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

Rainy

Tracker has you at 29 miles away. I'm heading for N. Carolina in the Am. Which direction are you heading?

Posted:  3 weeks, 4 days ago

Thoughts on PAM Transports class action lawsuit?

It seems that I used to hear that when I did AG hauling, we were 25% of the load. Kind of like piece work. Both of the ones I worked for had other benefits to go along with it. We could some dedicated runs. Some paid better than others of course. When the President of one of the companies had a company picnic and spent a few thousand on it, and overheard some of the drivers say all he can offered is ribs and tri-tip what a cheap b******. Next year we didn't get the picnic and he took the dedicated accounts away. So you can't expect an owner of a company to put forth an effort, and have it thrown back in your face. I'm happy where I'm at, and I'm driving a 2019 truck. I get lots of refer miles. So what's to complain about. That as soon as I agreed to work for Swift he didn't give a $20,000 bonus on day one? I hate going to the terminals, all you hear is people complaining about that they aren't given many miles.

Anyway, complainers will be with us always.

The judge in my opinion was totally wrong for agreeing to do this favoring these guys.

Posted:  3 weeks, 4 days ago

This Was A Pain In The Booty

Well, I went to a shipper in Wisconsin yesterday, and 2 of the company drivers said to me we don't see many sleeper trucks in here and the other guy said it took him 45 minutes to get it in. So of course I wanted to turn the truck around and park it on the street. You want this product there it is..... But of course I didn't do that but I did turn the truck around so I didn't have to blindside in. I got turned around and I started to back, then G.O.A.L.ED. Moved my truck 5 ft up to get a better grip on the situation, now I'm looking at a trailer in front of me so I can't make my full turn. Back up again at an angle and looks like it may go, but goal again. Too close on the other side. Finally the yard dog moved 2 trailers so I get more room to maneuver. I get in there then a string load of company trucks go behind me as I'm backing. By this time I'm not in a good mood. And I wasn't thinking clearly, I started to back into the dock. Now my DL calls, we have been playing phone tag for awhile. I kept backing and didn't goal this time and hit the trailer on my blind side with my hinges, but put 2 scrapes on the trailer next to me. Luckily no one was in it or wasn't a truck hooked up to it. So I filled out some paperwork, took pics for the company and for Swift and sent the info to claims. So far I haven't heard anything about it.

Moral of the story, if you have to goal a thousand times, then do it. And never get distracted when backing. If your DL calls, ignore them and call back after you are safely backed into your dock.

I have never answered the phone before and I don't know why I did it this time. So it was a lousy day.

Real Diel,

Sorry if I high jacked your thread. But I now know why they should not send a sleeper to small space places to load or unload.

I've seen some of 3 company drivers struggling to get in to their docks because there isn't any room to put trailers elsewhere.

Hope this helps the next person who has a small space to back up and dock.