Comments By Robert D. (Raptor)

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0404561001540129365-80957.jpg avatar

Posted:  4 weeks ago

Why you should post trip AND pre trip

Replace immediately! Don't pass go, don't collect 200 dollars.

Posted:  4 weeks ago

Can I get wifi on my truck?

I get 15gigs a month with att.and just using it to do my banking stuff eats a lot of that up.I checked into that router and it costs 249 to sign up and another 200 a month. Pretty pricey. Though I can use my phone for most of it I hate the small screen. I've been trying to find some place to use my laptop to get more gigs but haven't seem to explain to att service . They seem to go deer in the headlight look. I tried to get a tech guy on the phone but he said he didn't know of anything that would work. I'm going to keep checking to find something that will work and won't deflate my banking account.

Posted:  4 weeks ago

Packrat

Hope all goes for ya, Packrat.

Posted:  4 weeks, 1 day ago

Truck Height

Carla

I talked with a dealership in Washington and the service guy told me it is 12' 6" it doesn't sound right but I could be wrong. We know on average the most of the trailers have a height of 13' 6". Now if you are hooked up to one then come out to the front of the tractor you could get an idea how much shorter your tractor is compared to the trailer. Unless you want to go by PackRat's idea of using a tape measure. It's up to you. Good luck.

Posted:  4 weeks, 1 day ago

Truck safety group urges purges of drug abuse drivers

I wasn't going to say anything but ,after yesterday's almost mishap by 2 truckers going down the I 84 I agree there is no reason to be going 85 or better on the roads. I just got another thank you for being 100% on time delivery. This is the 3rd one in a row. So my speed and planning hasn't hurt me getting to my appointments on time. But those 2 guys kept passing each other back and forth. Of course they didn't do it when Oregon state police were around.

As far as big companies trying to push small ones out of business, I don't think they are. They strive to keep their particular fleet running and their drivers happy. What could be wrong with that.

America was built on competition that is why we are able to be strong through strength of character and togetherness. Yes we have our political, and religious differences but as a whole we stick together.

Patrick I served, you served and many on here served our country. We still have the best of the best out there protecting our freedom and our way of life.

Posted:  4 weeks, 1 day ago

Is it just me?

If trucks are facing the way of the exit then it makes sense.

Posted:  4 weeks, 1 day ago

How long do you think this guy will have a CDL?

Grumpy

Can you change out the card for big GB? Say maybe 128.

Posted:  4 weeks, 1 day ago

It could have been worse...

Danielsahn

Thanks for sharing this and the pics. This is a moment that you or any other driver will not forget. I'm glad you or the equipment was not not damaged. As you said it could have been so much worse. Glad you are alright also.

Posted:  1 month ago

Refer on steroids

I have had my present refer since coming off home time. About 2 weeks now. It is the loudest, fuel stealing refer I have had since being out here. I had someone next to me at the Petro in Wells, Nv move his tractor and trailer to another spot because of the noise. When above O degrees, it stays steady within 2 degrees. But below O temp it goes into defrost 4 or 5 times in a half hour. Then it sucks down the fuel like it hasn't seen fuel before now. Anyway it seems that it is on steroids.

Has anyone else had a refer like this one? Dispatch asks me you need fuel for your refer again? I tell them yes, I'm down to 1/4 tank again.

It's due a PM next month but I'm going to see if they will look.at it early after this load I'm on. I'll be about 80 miles from West Valley, Utah.

Posted:  1 month ago

What can I put on the floor?

Rubber duck

I bought a 2-piece drivers rubber set for the driver's and passenger side of the truck. Put a rubberized mat down for the bunk area floor.Then another larger one for between the seats. It makes clean up a lot easier. It seemed I was always sweeping out the whole truck when I stopped for the night. The mat by the bunks is also cushioned about 10 bucks, the floor set was 16 bucks at Wallyworld, and the center mat was 11 bucks. But cleanup is much easier.Then I only have to remove the mats and sweep every 2 days.

Posted:  1 month ago

Cargo Transporters UPDATE!!!!!!

I have always had a spare key. I don't want to be calling my DL and tell them to send out a Locksmith. Plus if you go to Love's they have a lockout kit Need to be smarter than the tractor your driving

Posted:  1 month ago

Question about Tractor

The lowest my 2019 has ever gone is 8th and 26 mph. It's what they are designed to do for the fuel economy. So as much as I don't like it, I have come to accept it. We would all like to be not loosing momentum going up the hills, it's what it is. When I drove tankers, I had a 379 Pete 10 sp Eaton, it would climb most of the hills in 7th and 35-37 mph. I was always .axed out in all 5 compartments. Mine was an unusual tanker. 51' with 5 compartments. Most are 48' and 4 compartments. At 80,000 lbs. She did ok.

I asked of they could do something on this tractor and said not without sacrificing fuel economy, which Swift will not do. And I don't blame them with the amount of tractors that we have.

Posted:  1 month ago

Happy Fathers Day

Happy Fathers Day!!

Posted:  1 month ago

Does “American Truck Driving School” Drug Test?

Old School

Why does this question keep coming up?

If your worried about drugs in your system, then wait 6-8 months before testing. Because pee test is the least of your worries. They do hair follicle testing in most of the truck companies now. As has been said, drugs and trucking do not mix.

How many different ways can this be said.

Well, I just woke up, so I guess I'm getting crotchety in my old age.

Mario, If you are old enough to drive a car, then you should have the smarts to know about drug testing.

Posted:  1 month ago

New truck :)

Congratulations Big T

I have the same color but mine is a 2019. It does have lots of space for things. Also check to make sure your fridge door is really closed. If you hit some of the very perfect roads out there, the door will swing open and what is inside could be outside. I thought I was going to gave to get a bungee cord to wrap around it. But give it an extra push by the latch and it stay closed.

Posted:  1 month ago

Office to Trucking

I agree with Army and Mathew about your training being stale. But the part about getting local jobs is not impossible. I drove for 11 years before, mostly fuel and chemical tankers. All local. I did do some time OTR with a freight company. Then I got into a motorcycle accident. Fast forward 9 yrs and I'm driving for Swift. Happy there and I'm now 66. So it can be done. But you might have to have a refresher course because you haven't driven for anyone since obtaining your CDL. Some local company might take a chance on you but it would be pretty rare. Check if the School you took your test with has a refresher course and since you went there it may not cost that much.

Good luck.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

DOT physical and prior use of prescription medication

Clem C.

Each person's evaluation of this industry will be different as Rainy said. But don't ever, ever lie on a trucking application. Trucking companies pay big bucks to find things out. Hobo gave this advice and I'm also giving it to you. Once you screw up on an application, or get there and get sent home for a drug related situation, you're almost toast. Go back to your original doctor, explain how things were then, and how things are now. He might just give you a check up and send the evaluation to a perspective employer. But the longer you procrastinate on this the harder it will be.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

A reminder about who we are and what we do

Thanks Brett for making this a fun and exceptional learning experience. Have I come across as arrogant sometimes, maybe so. Have I had bad days as I learn from mistakes, oh hell yes. Have I admitted when I've been proven wrong yes.

As you know I came from mainly a fuel and chemical tanker background. So my learning curve to change directions is sometimes difficult.

What I like best about this site you built is the vast experience level of your moderators here. They have been truthful, knowledgeable and very helpful.

Thanks again for building this site.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Frustrated

Donna

I know the frustration, all to well. But as Old School says we have to adapt. Next time, look at this. The Petro has The Iron Skillet, Flying j has Denny's, Pilot has either Wendy's or Popeyes, and the Love's has mostly Wendy's, and the TA 70% of the time they have Country Pride. But the 30%, is Taco Bell, or Popeyes. I wish they all had regular restaurants, but they don't. So much for eating healthy on the road.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Stinky Trailers

Yes thanks for the suggestions. But I've only had one stinky one. So I never heard about rice or coffee before, but sounds reasonable.