Profile For Andy D.

Andy D.'s Info

Cotter, AR

Considering A Career

11 months, 1 week ago

Andy D.'s Bio

Just a dude who has always been interested in truck driving. I worked in corporate world, including 7 years with a major LTL carrier, and really looking forward to the next challenge.

I am currently the Business Manager for a home health agency and am simply finishing out my time commitment here before starting my journey in early/mid 2020.

Posted:  2 hours, 52 minutes ago

Wow guyz!!! My inbox is full and texts unread!

I have been fasting for about 2 months and it has been really good. There are several versions of it and I never did it because I do not believe in "starvation diets"

After reading on these methods I began to understand it a little better. I simply eat between 11am and 8 pm. Sleep takes up most of my "fasting time" It really kick-started my weight loss. I obviously still watch what I eat from 11-8 but have adjusted to it and prefer it.

Good luck, Rainy. I bet everybody was worried that you had a more serious problem to deal with, not that weight loss is not serious. You have lot's of company here in the weight loss category, including me. Now that I have a very physically demanding construction job going, it's really working for me, but I've got another 15 lbs. to go, 20 would be even better. One driver I know went from 238 down to 150 by fasting. I've been doing research on fasting and may take the plunge in some way, shape or form myself. There are different forms of it. This guy is 72 years old andis as light on his feet as a teenager. Plus his joints don't hurt anymore, like mine do.

Or you could move to my town and I'll buy you a tool belt, hammer, utility knife, etc. and teach your how to build houses! (LOL)

Posted:  5 days, 2 hours ago

How many week I should give to my company

I would want to be professional BUT....I have heard of people being stranded after giving a notice.

One time we had to go out to California to pick up a good friend of ours that got stranded after giving a notice. The guy that went with me to pick him up warned him about this but I urged him to give a notice in case he wanted to return. The company had a driver go out to pick up his truck and he was stuck. Some companies may even give you some pretty slim weeks after a notice as well.

I am NOT saying to not give a notice, but it may be a good idea to have a way back home if you do is all I'm saying.

The moderators would be better at giving this info than myself though.

Posted:  1 week ago

Getting my CDL on a budget.

G-Town beat me to it.

You are really not grasping what the experienced people are saying to you. If you can go 1-2 months of waiting, then why not sign on with a company that will train you with no money up front and then pay you while you are on the road being trained?

Do your 1 year commitment, then make a decision from there.

Its a no brainer really. It will also be less risk than you waiting around for a couple of months for a job you may not even want to begin with.

Just my opinion, hope everything works out for you.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

The Guilt, Shame & Embarrassment of Being a Prime Company Driver [Sarcasm]

Most of your posts and blogs are great reads...But this one is phenomenal.

I too was drawn to the potential earnings of lease until I read posts on here as well as did some unbiased research on the subject and it horrifies me that so many fall for this. I am not saying some don't experience success with leasing, but it just does not appeal to me is all.

Great read again Rainy!

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

What have you learned from Trucking Truth?

I have learned that company leasing is the devil :)

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Thoughts on PAM Transports class action lawsuit?

This way of thinking with this lawsuit would be very similar to unionizing the entire trucking industry in my opinion.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Thoughts on PAM Transports class action lawsuit?

This is exactly where I was going with this personally. I feel that this could in fact lower those salaries of drivers that ARE productive and raise the salaries of those that are NOT. That was my biggest concern in all this.

Keep in mind I have 0% driving but know how business works. If you add one thing, you are typically going to take from another.

Thank you for your opinion on this Brett

I can promise you one thing - if they did require trucking companies to pay by the hour the average pay wouldn't change at all. They would simply drop the mileage pay a little bit and pay hourly for the other time you spend on duty. In the end you would make the same. All they would be doing is breaking it down differently so the tiny brains feel like they're no longer slaves.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Thoughts on PAM Transports class action lawsuit?

With all the knowledge and experience on this forum, I’m curious to everyone’s thoughts and opinions to how this could affect the industry in a positive (or negative) way.

PAM Lawsuit

Posted:  2 months ago

Off to ROEHL I go!!!

As many have said before, a few people may post but a ton of us are watching and rooting for you.

Us newbies and prospective truckers appreciate all the info

Posted:  2 months ago

Which company would offer regular home time?

Youtube is also a great place to go for owner op success stories. They will show the statements with the net earnings after deductions.

This is without taxes, health insurance, etc taken out. then you can find videos of company drivers with the same companies making more.

In the beginning of my research I almost got sucked in to leasing until seeing those videos and of course reading posts on this forum. This Forum really reassured my reservation with lease ops and the promises of more money.

Posted:  2 months ago

Freight numbers not holding up to 2018's highs

This is one reason I have enjoyed some of the topics on this site. I know many people have leaned on the "there is a driver shortage" line.

But the fact remains that there are plenty of licensed truckers out there. The real shortage is in the qualified driver segment.

As freight continues to slow, you may see a slow down of the large CDL classes with the company sponsored programs. May have more of a premium placed on quality experienced drivers as well.

Posted:  2 months ago

Truck Delivery Driveaway

Bump

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

OTC meds causing false positives on drug tests?

As long as you tell them upfront what medications that you take then I don't think that there would be an issue. Also I think that you would have to be taking a substantial amount of these OTCs to throw a positive though

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Find a Job

Ill bite on this.

I worked for FedEx Freight home office for almost 7 years, great company.

Florida may be tricky as rates are horrible going into Florida (always have) and FedEx guarantees the delivery times with a money back guarantee. This is why they are always so bent on experience. They are more service driven company and im sure most of the large LTL companies are similar by now. Linehaul would be the way to go in my opinion.

Not all P&D drivers make a killing. It will depend on your terminal and how much freight there is to deliver. obviously some are bigger than others.

Just my 2cents

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Parkland coward during shooting

Wow Packrat, that’s crazy. I know it’s not what you were intending, but my thoughts go out to you as well as the families of those affected.

We just had a mass shooting last Friday here in Virginia Beach, VA. 12 were killed three miles from my house. Guess what? I was leaving a medical appointment, and standing in the parking lot at 1607 and heard the first four shots when the first victim was gunned down in a parked car, one mile from the doctors office. Two of the dead I had interacted with at the city office over the years. One victim was a good friend of a second cousin of mine. She was just interviewed by a local TV station today.

I didn’t post it on here because it has nothing to do with trucking.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Parkland coward during shooting

Not sure I understand the frustration of the OP.

If any post non trucking related we’re allowed you would literally have to sift through hundreds of posts trying to find info you want pertaining to trucking

Posted:  2 months, 4 weeks ago

USPS trying out automated technology

Didn't know if any of you have read up anything on this story but thought It was interesting.

Also read about the FMSCA possibly lifting some restrictions to make way for the industry to make the transition easier.

Now do I feel that auto drive trucks will replace trucks? no. Do I feel that it will impact earnings and the need? possibly down the road.

Just wanted to get thoughts or opinions from you guys. I know Congress is really pushing for this hard

Posted:  2 months, 4 weeks ago

Deferred adjudication question

I just submitted an application. Again, thank you for your help on this.

Get a hold of your PSP and MVR.

If it's not on there, I wouldn't bother listing it anywhere. If it is truly dropped, then you are still being honest. The question on applications is written as:

"Have you had any moving violation convictions or other traffic convictions in the past 5 years?"

You don't have any convictions, so you are not being dishonest by not disclosing on a legal document about a time where you almost had a conviction. I process every single application that comes into my company, and have for almost 5 years now. So count my experience in this field as damn near "expert level". If you are still dead-set on being that forthcoming (to your detriment), which I can respect, then mention it verbally to your recruiter, exactly like you wrote it up to start this thread. Because - once you put it in WRITING, then all of the documentation that is needed to verify it must be done. If you can't provide it, and the company can't obtain it, then you and the company (that probably wanted to hire you!) are stuck at an impasse.

Just get a copy of your MVR and PSP - if you can't figure out how, fill out an application with me (I can't hire you yet with your experience, so this isn't a recruiting offer) and I will get you one.

That goes for anyone. I run an MVR and PSP & DAC report for every application I get, and I always share them with the applicants. However, I am sure a quick online search will give you other, less convoluted ways to obtain those reports.

We have the same type of thing in Arizona. If you get a moving violation, you can opt to go to a Defensive Driving Class or some such thing. You pay for the class, usually a bit less than the fine itself. Give up a Saturday, and the ticket is dismissed. Not reported to insurance. Like you never got it. This option is only good if you have not had any violations in the past 3 or maybe 5 years. It is pretty much a "get out of jail free card".

That's my big issue here. I pulled an insurance 5 year MVR and there is nothing on there. When I explain the situation it make it seem like its a much bigger problem than it really is I suppose.

I would like to just not discuss it due to there being no record of it. I have heard of more detailed MVRs that carriers can pull that show more though. just want to be honest of course.

Posted:  2 months, 4 weeks ago

Deferred adjudication question

I would really appreciate that

Posted:  3 months ago

One more thread on losing weight.

Its all about calorie deficit. No matter what you eat. But eating junk and sugars can break down your lean muscle.

You need fluids but drinking too much water can, in fact, dilute your electrolytes and be counterproductive.

Again, when you burn more calories than you take in, you lose weight.