Comments By Steppenwolf

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0901667001615687055-83016.jpg avatar

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

PackRat's 2020 Daily Driving Diary

Hey Pak Rat You are working for Crete now not CFI

Getting better miles, how is dispatch? Enjoyed the daily log, sounds a lot like my days... Stay safe winter is coming round again.

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

First year is in the bag.

Moving on....

That is a hard question to answer. I can get more pay at some other companies and miles too. Other trucks can go faster than me and that might be nice.

I think I'll stay till I get my 120,000 miles in and get the ring. That way if I do move on and decided to go back I will have the year and miles completed.

I do have tanker and am interested in driving one. Would have to be food grade as I don't have Hazmat.

So guess I'm still kinda undecided right now.

Thanks for all your stories thru here they have helped me get through this first year.

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

First year is in the bag.

CFI is a good company to work for. Like all trucking companies they have a few quirks. But all in all I have enjoyed working with them.

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

First year is in the bag.

Thanks guys... Was a bit hard to swallow my ego but I am glad I stuck it out with my first company

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

First year is in the bag.

Hi all

Just thought I would let you know I have completed my first year here at CFI.

All in all it was a pretty good year. Saw 42 states multiple times and ran 110,000 miles in two different trucks.

Started in a 2017 T680 and now in a 2019.

Thanks for all the info on this site. It has helped me get through the first year.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

CFI-Pay/Hometime Question

Hello - let me first say how much I appreciate everyone that contributes to this site !! I am currently in the planning stage to get my CDL and CFI is a company I am interested in. I was hoping if someone might know how it works if you do not live near a terminal and cannot take truck home for hometime due to lack of parking near the house (I live in New Jersey) ? Where can I park truck safely, etc ? Also can someone tell me what the CPM rate is for rookie drivers and when and how much does the CPM rate go up if at all during first year of driving,

Hi. The pay questions can be answered by any recuiter at CFI. Just give them a call.

As for the home time you can park at any truck stop close to home and get a ride home. Parking can also be found at Kenworth dealer. Any place close to you with permission from owner is also ok.

Hope this helps you out. Steppenwolf

Shut down survey

I use Loves for coffee and shower. They are clean for the most part. Pilot, flying j or Petro if just a break and time is short. In certain areas I'll park at the green dinosaur usually less crowded.

I do prefer rest areas over truck stops easier parking, quieter and beautiful scenery at lots of them...

I'll park at a shipper if I am low on hours and leave with full clock after 10 hour break. My truck is self sufficient and I make good coffee smile.gif

What are your preferred hours to run?

Usually I like to be rolling around 0400 give or take a half hour. Stopping around 3 pm gives me easy truck parking in truck stops or rest areas. My truck is self sufficient so only need truck stop for showers and fuel... Sometimes schedule dictates driving times... I also enjoy less traffic in early morning driving.

Lumpers: Highest You Had To Pay

In Georgia I paid 100 for 44,000 lbs of food stuff. Then in the covid19 I sat for 8 hours after the food company changed my delivery time...paid 240 for 42,300 of cereal stuff. Wouldn't let me in the building to unload so was forced to pay lumper fee...backed truck up to dock with doors closed, all work was done inside warehouse... I don't like paying lumpers... just hire employees and let them have a job.

Reassigned to older truck

Yep...roll with it... I got an older truck 2018 after training in a 2020...you know what...I like the older truck better... Has a few little quirks but is in decent shape and runs really well... That is what is making me money out here. I have 8 weeks in and 15000 miles over half of those in the old truck... Long as your running let it roll off your back. No fuel bonus squeeze in an extra load...just saying Be safe

Experience Spokane/Coeur d'Alene trucking schools?

Hi...If you do go to school I would do Sage. They have a lot of companies that will look at you as a new hire. Are you looking for otr or western states or local... Swift has good training and is not too far from you. Good luck in your endeavor.

Dean of Mack's CDL Training Diary

I thought I read where Illinois changed that last year... Could be wrong

Forced dispatch?

I'm with Delco dave...smile.gifsmile.gif

Odd Logs

Mine kept freezing up when i switched trucks so i took the one from my old truck. Had to call the 800 number to get admin to help me switch it to new truck.. No problems with it since. Not even the screw up the other day...except dispatch lost the data and added 3 days onto my delivery. ELD...it is what it is...

CFI Finisher Help!

Yes the trainers were short for female trainees so if you got called to go train, do it...put a wrap on that foot or something. This is my 4th week solo at CFI...I didn't go home after orientation been out here 7 weeks. Don't let that license go stale and if you don't go now will it be another month or more wait... Good luck girl...

Views From the Office Window (Post Yours Please!)

12/31/19

0048895001577889692.jpg

My 30 minute break from the office. My first time...all I did was walk through. Unbelievable

Views From the Office Window (Post Yours Please!)

Driving time

If you can drive under five miles an hour to get loaded up you won't be on the driving line...lol...wish I could drive 250 miles deadhead to load...full clock when i leave loading dock... Not gonna happen and anyway as soon as the truck is moving over five mph our eld automatically kicks you into driving... Not many was to get around this system. Good luck on your trip...enjoy the ride.

Happy New Year!

Have a Happy New Year

smile.gifsmile.gif

30-minute break rule

Yep what he said... I try to drive 4 1/2 to 5 hours then at least 30 min break sometimes more...then look for parking somewhere in last couple of hours...