Comments By Jason

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0700602001544278616-83208.jpg avatar
  • Jason
  • 5 months, 2 weeks ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Break in employment - prepping for Paid CDL interview/acceptance.

I got a pass. Recruiter got the supervisor's approval to spend the money to do the 'real' background check. Should find out in a few days/week if my past is what I think it is. I may have mentioned running my own background check and coming up short. I gave them the dirt anyway- curious to see if they find it in the system.

I'm thinking January 21st to start. Gives me a little time to get new glasses and a teeth cleaning (and a crown fixed) that I'm over due for. It's minimum 4 months (one month to get CDL and officially hired then 90 days waiting period) before Prime's insurance will kick in.

Really enjoying TruckerMike's blog posts, etc. Lots of tidbits to pick up.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

CFI just announced an improved 401(k) deal to us.

Recruiter told me Prime matches 80% of first 5%

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Break in employment - prepping for Paid CDL interview/acceptance.

Appreciate the word. Fortunately I'm full time now. Not a dramatic rush.

Actually maximizing the benefits i have since it will take 4 months to get on Prime or anothers insurance after I start the journey. New glasses, etc.

Do truckers use shades? Wondering if i should splurge on some transition glasses...it is Christmas.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Break in employment - prepping for Paid CDL interview/acceptance.

Recruiter said January will be a busy month/crowded classrooms which likely equates to less driving practice per student. I learned to drive on manual so that might help...hard to say. Still waiting on approval.

Been reading some of the diaries and others and i know this life is challenging. I think i always had this stereotype in my head that kept ne from considering it in the past. That i think itll be a good fit.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Break in employment - prepping for Paid CDL interview/acceptance.

I got my permit and a new social security card in the mail. Need to square away my Medical card and get my tanker endorsement. I misunderstood something in the manual or GA's permit limitations which is why I didn't take it with the initial 3.

Jim Palmer/Wil Trans shot me down already; no reason offered. Prime is waiting approval. Any gap over 6 mos has to get upper level approval.

Driver Solutions is on the table- spoke to a Recruiter and holding off on application until next week; just waiting to see what Prime says. I'm shooting for mid-January start date so there's no rush (at their end).

TMC is out. After reading Bret's account of 'flatbed' trucking... I'm just too old to get into that. Working at the plant the last 9 months has done wonders for my waste-line, but not much muscle. Spent the last 10+ years sitting behind computers and my body is letting me know I have limitations.

Coverage area is a priority for me. I don't want GA to be my 'home' anymore! I'm so sick of the SE [humidity] in general. Visit? Let it be brief, but I'm ready to go back W/NW. Why Jim Palmer was first choice.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Break in employment - prepping for Paid CDL interview/acceptance.

Been doing the research of the various companies and providing a comprehensive 3 year work history seems to be the standard.

I have a clear break for about a year after I left my last job of 10 years. I need to know what I should prep or expect to cover the gap...or is it even possible?

I was in IT and the work morphed from support to sales at which point I bit off more than I could chew and finally had to bow out. (I am NOT a salesman!) I gave 2 weeks notice. I just took a long break; spent a lot of time helping my aging folks on their 'farm' (200 acres). So much so that I ended up moving back in. Crazy at my age, but it made sense. I've been out of the loop long enough now, retraining in IT would cost almost as much as going to truck driving school (which I can't afford) and I still may not find work. Let's all IT plan B.

Will corporate take into account the fact I was with last 'big' employer for ~10 years before taking a long break? (I assume recruiters would say yes, but it's that face to face interview that really matters.) What proof should I prepare? Note from parents sounds pretty cheesy. Should I just gloss over getting in over my head and just focus on helping out my medically challenged folks in their time of need?

I'm heading to the DMV tomorrow to take my 3 tests and get my CLP. Just need to sort this out and I can start applying. Shooting for middle of January if I can. I'm still working full time at a Factory now. Planning on applying Jim Palmer, Prime, and then I'm not sure.

Got some other questions- but need to sort this out first. Thanks in advance for your attention.

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Our First Weekly *Ask Me Anything Friday*

Can't find a tag for Insurance... so might as well ask you here.

I've been researching Paid CDL schools and the advice was that essentially no program is perfect; that said it's hard to 'move on' with less than 2-3 years of experience. The reason being that 18-24 months is statistically the riskiest time of a new Truckers career and thus companies have to pay more to insure them.

Any truth to this?

It's not enough to pick one and stick with it a year or so to finish the initial commitment...I'm basically stuck there until I pass the 'reckless stage'?

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

What does Prime check before approving you for orientation?

I know I've got a skeleton in the closet; but it's been 20 years and I did all I could to forget the bad times!

I've now spent $50 on two different National Criminal Searches and employment background checks and there's...nothing. I checked the states (not the one I live in currently) and they don't keep records that far back; so I'm a bit miffed on how they will 'find out' if I can't find it myself!