Comments By TCB

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0932553001580928048-85924.jpg avatar
  • TCB
  • Comments:

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

Should I buy a GPS unit 🤔

Moe,

I know how it is when money gets tight... If you will tell me how to get in touch with you I will send you a used truck gps..Rand Mcanally OD8PRO you will just need to get a mount for it, works good for me. I know how hard you have tried to get this going and will be glad to help, no strings attached! I purchased it for myself, then found another one for a good price, so now I have two, and only need one, it has the FM transmitter mount and charging cord just needs the suction cup. Has been updated as well. I was going to keep it for a backup but its yours if you can use it and will help you out! Itndoesmhave the built in cameras and sd card as well.

87Wrangler, that is very generous of you.

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

City Traffic

Always remember spacing and speed in city driving. I have been driving in So Cal traffic for 30 years, two of them CMV. It still makes me nervous. But, I guess nervousness keeps me alert, and I never let my guard down. I am usually the slowest on the roads in cities. Even the other truckers are passing me. Just keep your spacing far and speed down. Like Andrey said, study the route beforehand, so that you will know which lanes to be in and when. Let your intentions be known early via flashers and turn signals.

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

Should I buy a GPS unit 🤔

If you haven't gone solo or team yet, it's a good idea to sign up for the rewards programs from the major truck stops. That way, when you are asigned a truck, you will start collecting reward points with your first fueling. Even some mentors will allow you to use your rewards card when fueling their truck. These reward points can add up, and help you purchase items for your truck. It would take a very long time to save up enough points for a gps, but not too long for other items, such as a cb (another recommendation). The money saved for those items could be applied toward a gps.

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

Should I buy a GPS unit 🤔

Yes, you really should invest in a gps. Your company might advance you the money for purchase. A trucker specific gps can save you a lot of time and grief. Check with your company. Maybe they will be upgrading from a Qualcom to a tablet platform like many companies are. Maybe then, they will provide navigation. Even if they do, it is good to have a back up. If you are going to be driving back roads frequently, it will be very hard without a gps. If trying to save money, avoid eating out as much as possible. Hopefully, your truck will have a frig and inverter. You will save a lot of money preparing your own food. The amount of money that you save in one month of not eating out will help much in purchasing a gps.

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

Wrapped it up

Wishing you the best. I looked up Mayer, AZ on the map. It seems like a nice place, with it's 1,900 population and higher altitude. I am sure that you will enjoy. Like the others said, never hesitate about joining in a discussion here. Heck, it would be nice just to hear from you from time to time, even if it's not anything to do with trucking.

Posted:  7 months, 3 weeks ago

Greater discrepancy between dispatched and actual mileage

I have a dispatch from Bay Town TX. to Hurricane UT. Dispatch miles are 1361, but the route given to my by my Qualcomm is 1515 miles, which also includes pre determined fuel stops. My Garmin gave me a route of about 1620 miles. Google maps, car route is about 1396 miles. That's a difference of about 150 miles. My Atlas does show an alternative hwy., saving about 70 miles, but would take me off of my fuel route, and entail driving two lane back roads for about 380 miles with no fuel stops. It looks more treacherous, and according to google maps, would only save about 20 minutes driving by car. There must be a reason that my quallcomm and Garmin avoid that hwy. Should I expect to be compensated for the difference? It is a big difference. I have had many other dispatches with 40-60 miles discrepancies, and never said a thing. But, 150 miles is a lot, and it might keep me from making my fuel bonus. I have reached out to mu DM twice, via macros, with no response.

Posted:  7 months, 3 weeks ago

Postcards from the Road! (Post Yours Please!)

The 2 Seasons have started....Winter and BUGS!!

0395768001617615202.jpg

Picked up this mess in s.e. NE and n.w. MO. Had to stop and get them washed off.

Laura

Reminds me of South Florida, and the Love Bugs that swarm down there. They are so bad down there, that they cake up the windshield, making vision difficult. You can't use your wiper wash, it will just smear them. Some of the rest areas have sprayers to drive your truck next to, and wash the windshield. Not much help though. You must scrub them off at a truck stop.

Posted:  7 months, 3 weeks ago

Trivia Fun

I also see lines of evergreens planted along hwys, which is probably for the same purpose.

Posted:  7 months, 3 weeks ago

Trivia Fun

Snow fence

Posted:  8 months ago

The Driver Toolbox - So To Speak

"I wish PackRat would add HIS two cents."

His two cents, or his ten page list of his toolbox.

Posted:  8 months ago

Postcards from the Road! (Post Yours Please!)

G-Town and PackRat

Here's another one for you. I had just left the office in Twin Falls, when this pulled up to the red light.

0899425001617176037.jpg

Laura

Cabovers are pretty common on the Southern border. The ones driving around down there must have al least two million miles on them. Seems as if they would be noisy inside, due to the fact that the driver is sitting on top of the engine. I guess the driver has to lift the cab off of the engine compartment to do a pre-trip inspection. If I had to do that, all of the stuff in my sleeper would be rolling all over the place, lol.

Posted:  8 months ago

Postcards from the Road! (Post Yours Please!)

Cave in Carthage MO

0007643001615967620.jpg

That floor is slick

0866441001615967722.jpg

Wiggled past this guy

0253527001615967887.jpg

Several maneuvers past him (til he moved

0322005001615968100.jpg

Easier to put in that hole

0802450001615968327.jpg

Time to leave

0950832001615968423.jpg

More Caves

0277816001615968630.jpg

It would be nice if they let you do your ten there during the summer. Should be nice and cool.

Posted:  8 months ago

Someone Called The Police On Us

Were their names, Mama Karen and little Karen?

Posted:  8 months ago

The Driver Toolbox - So To Speak

Weigh My Truck app, be careful in Kalifornia. My company told me that digital copies of scale tickets aren't valid in Kali. If you get the atlas, spend the extra money and get the large laminated one. You can use dry erase to mark out routes. I learned that trick from Susan. I still don't know why drivers can't spend $60.00 of reward points to purchase a CB. My CB definitely help me avoid backs ups and road closures this winter. The Windy app sounds like a useful one. I will have to download.

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

Swift Academy Memphis

Congratulations! I am sure that you will enjoy the lower cost of living and the Southern hospitality. Don't forget to try the fried catfish, hushpuppies and fried dill pickles.

Posted:  9 months ago

To hazmat or not to hazmat

Thanks for all of the input guys. I took the load, and delivered without any problems.

Posted:  9 months ago

To hazmat or not to hazmat

Got your erg?

Yes, 2016 edtion.

Posted:  9 months ago

Instant Pot on the road

The next cooking appliance I purchase will be one. With that, and a charcoal grill this Spring, I'll have it all covered:

InstaPot, charcoal grill, George Foreman, Presto electric skillet, microwave, and a rice cooker.

You can cook rice in the InstaPot.

Posted:  9 months ago

To hazmat or not to hazmat

So, I was offered a hazmat load, but declined. I am hazmat certified, but have never done a hazmat load. My company has a hotline to guide me on which placards to place. Still, I don't feel comfortable. I earned my endorsements on the written almost two years ago. My question is, would you suggest to take a hazmat load, and freshen up on some of the requirements? Or, is it something that I should spend time with a hazmat mentor?

Posted:  9 months, 1 week ago

Camera's aren't the only way you're monitored

At Swift we have lane departure warnings (move over the white dashed line without a turn signal on will trigger a buzz-strip sound). Too many of them too fast will get you into the office because you must not be paying attention and wandering along the road.

Those lane departure sensors are really sensitive or at least they were in the truck I was in. When I took the ride with G-Town he was totally between the lines in his lane and they still kept going off. He said they pick up the thicker tar strips used to patch the small cracks in the road. I guess safety reviews the forward camera footage and see’s the false warnings

It's not "Safety" that makes the first review. The camera videos are uploaded to a service bureau that has first look. If they see certain things (they are trained for this) , the video is forwarded. But if you are just minding your business, they move on. I was driving on an empty and curvy country road in a Virginia Appalachian valley. The buzz warning would go off every few seconds. I knew the videos one after another were going to be uploaded to that service bureau. I was watching my speed, always looking out the front, and monitoring the mirrors. Both hands on the wheel. Well, I never got called in for continuously "running off the road"! I hope someone enjoyed the ride down a Virginia Country Road

rofl-2.gif

Mine has been going crazy the last few weeks with all of the snow and ice packed in the cracks and crevices of the pavement. It keeps picking it up as painted lines that I am crossing. Driving me crazy. I have to turn off the LDW.