Profile For Rubber Duck

Rubber Duck's Info

Pittsburgh , PA

1 year, 9 months ago

Rubber Duck's Bio

Flatbed Driver. I’m hanging on for dear life. I live my life a quarter mile at a time. Fighting for survival. Born to be the rulers of them all.

Rubber Duck's Photo Gallery

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Any tips on how to alley dock properly?

What your trainer is teaching you based on what you described is a 45

I'm currently going through Primes PSD program. My trainer took me on the road for about two weeks and unfortunately i didn't get a chance to practice much. We returned to the Springfield terminal and I got a chance to practice at the pad today. I can do the straight back, offset (I usually need a pull up), and the parallel parking without too much trouble. But i haven't been able to do an alley dock. My trainer has me pull up so that the white line is between my rear tires and the mud flaps. Then I turn the wheele all the way to the right and back up until i see a gap between the mud flaps on the drivers and the landing gear on the passenger side. I maintain the gap until the end of the trailer is near the cone then i just have to push it in. Unfortunately im always either too far left or too far right. I just can't seen to find a way that will work for me. Any tips or advice?

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

By the numbers 2020

I did 89 this year. Covid did set me back a little. Covid didn’t really hurt me to bad. What hurt me was percentage pay and the rates being in the toilet. Hopefully the rates go up this year and I can get Rich.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Companies that don’t use DAC

Did you explain to them you didn’t run a red light. I’ve been caught off guard at many lights and I’ve seen them turn red as I passed under them. If that’s what you did that’s not really that bad. Another thing I’ve done is pulled out into the intersection on a green left turn. Then the light turned red and I completed the turn on red. That’s also not a big deal if done safely. What was your red light like?

Basically I was in training still didn’t completely understand what I was doing and they said that I blew through a red light when that wasn’t the case.

David, welcome to our forum!

Roehl has a top notch training program. Would you like to tell us what the real problem is? We're all truck drivers here - we don't fall for bull excrement. If you want to own your issues and move forward we can help.

How about telling us the whole story? I think we can help you then. By the way, I don't think you'll find many companies hiring rookies that don't use DAC. There's a good reason for that.

Posted:  2 months ago

Will 1 accident affect my eligibility?!

I don’t think that’s going to be on your dac report. And if it is I truly believe the person who put it there worships the devil.

Posted:  2 months ago

HOS Scenario

That’s right. I forgot he drove 4 hours to get there. So he’d have 7 hours to drive with 9:20 on his workday. Right?

I don’t know about butch but here’s what I’d probably do. At 0340 I’d go OFF DUTY. My clock would show I burnt up 4 hours and 40 minutes. I’d have 9 hours and 20 minutes to run when I got empty at 0830.

I wouldn’t need a ten I’d just run. With the new rules your clock pauses after being off for 2 hours straight.

For example You have 10 hours left on your 14 and you go off. In 6 hours you still got 10 hours to run.

Throw some sleeper into the mix and your running like an outlaw from back in the paper log days.

Actually - only the 14 clock pauses. He still ran 4:40 on his 11 drive clock - so even if he paused his 14 - he still only has 6:20 left on his DRIVE CLOCK. You have to COMPLETE THE SPLIT TO RESET THE DRIVE CLOCK.

This is the reason a lot of companies don't like using the split sleeper rule - even with ELD's it can get confusing. Which is why most folks only use it (under the new rules) to pause the 14 hour clock - and still take a 10 to reset both.

Rick

Posted:  2 months ago

Truck Stop Follies and Assorted Stupidity

0859808001609221713.jpg

Posted:  2 months ago

HOS Scenario

Let’s say a driver named Butch begins with a fresh clock by driving to a Walmart DC. His appointment time is at 0400. Butch starts at 2300 and arrives at the DC an hour early at 0300. Butch will eventually get through the gate and get to a door and get checked in with his paperwork by 0340. Butch will wait to be unloaded until 0830.

Butch went off duty at 0300 as soon as he entered the gate. Then he used personal conveyance to get to the door so that his clock has not been running since he arrived. Since he has been off duty for 5 1/2 hours, Butch decides to use PC to move to a truck stop about 20 miles away. There he waits an additional four hours to end his 10 hour break and get his time back to continue moving to the next stop.

What is your assessment of Butch’s actions? Could he have handled things in a better way? What options would the split sleeper birth provide in his situation?

Posted:  2 months ago

Am I Overpacked? - Leave for Company Sponsored Training Tomorrow

If you can sleep with it on your bed then it fits. All of your stuff should be on your bed at all times while on the truck with your trainer. That is the only space you should count on. The truck is far to small to have a giant man purse slitting next to your driver or passenger seat. You also shouldn’t expect to have a lunch box on the floor either. Of course you can do what you can get away with but I imagine it would be annoying having to step around someone’s crap all day.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Is it normal to wait a while for a trainer?

If possible I’d try and draw unemployment benefits.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Terminated - unsafe performance - Difficulty Finding New Employer

When you said you wanted to quit was it because you thought you was getting fired? Or did you think because you’ve had,

zero accidents, zero citations, zero violations, zero felonies, zero misdemeanors and Veteran status with honorable discharge you was to good to be having a talking to about such things.

Did you think because you’ve Had zero accidents, zero citations, zero violations, zero felonies, zero misdemeanors and Veteran status with honorable discharge you could just walk off one job and hop into another truck right down the street.

Be honest with yourself and the new drivers who have read this post. I’m not trying to bash you but I just hate to think a new driver would read this and think you get fired for one hard brake with such a perfect record like yours.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

What are people taught about backing

I’ve seen this a thousand times and I was that guy when I started. I couldn’t get my head around why no matter how many times I turned around I was still screwed. Trainers can’t teach everything! We got to learn most of this job while we do it.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Is this something new or has it always been.

I’m on my way home last night and I decided to top off so I could hammer down Monday mourning. I pull into the fuel island and I get behind a guy I figure is about to pull out from the pump. He’s not fueling and just finishing up squeegeeing his Windows. About 3 minutes later he got the windshield done and then proceeds to do the mirrors and the side windows with the squeegee. Then he starts walking around the truck with a bottle of glass cleaner and starts cleaning his tail lights while iM sitting right there behind him. At that point he jumps in his truck and I figure he's done. Instead he opens his door and starts glass cleaning the inside windows. At that point I backed up ad moved to the pump next to him that became free.

After about ten more minutes of house cleaning he pulls forward and goes inside. Then I look to my left and a shnider driver is doing the same exact Thing while holding up the pump. I was so mad I about made myself sick. If I would’ve had cash on me Id of bought these people some paper towels so they could do this crap some other place.

Has trucking always been like this at the fuel island? How do you deal with this? If I told this guy about himself I’m sure it would of ended in a fight and maybe going to jail.

What kind of person would come to the back of their truck and start cleaning tail lights while looking at you with white foam coming from their mouth. Did he have rabies?

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Backing

Most people aren’t naturally good at backing. The only thing you have very good control over when your new is your set up. If your set it up is good and the trailer is pointed at the hole your going to get it in eventually.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

New driver failed drug test

Call the police and press charges against him for drugging you. This is pretty sad and screwed up. He's not your friend. He's sick and demented.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Tips, Tricks, And Techniques For Rookie Drivers

The DEF Pump has a trigger lock

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Palletized coils correctly placed?

How many axles on that trailer?

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Tarping Tall Loads

This is how I do it.

0860294001599698813.jpg

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Runaway truck!

Probably just taking his 10 and trying to get as far off the road as he could. All so he didn't have to listen to all then nasty jake brakes.

Posted:  5 months, 4 weeks ago

CR England and Premier Trucking School

You say they paid for everything but mentioned your credit had something to do with that. So if you have good credit cdl school is free but if you have bad credit it cost money. I don't understand?

Good evening ladies and gentlemen, I'm trying to join the trucking industry I'm a retired security officer from California. A buddy of mine said he got his CDL and a OTR job with CR England & Premier trucking school. I was looking into to this myself and may be going to this school at the end of December. My question is, what do y'all think about CR England and Premier trucking school?

Please tell me you're thoughts on this school and company I would highly appreciate it.

I recommend you don’t get your CDL through a trucking company. I got mine through a community college. They paid for everything and I didn’t pay a dime. I had perfect credit so I was approved for the program.

Plus, by going through my community college I could go to any company I wanted and leave if they sucked. If you go through C.R England what if they’re bad? Don’t want to be trapped under their mercy. I quit my first trucking job for example at TMC

Posted:  6 months ago

I am interested in owner op

I would suggest being a company driver for a few years before you jump into the lease thing. It's not lazy drivers discouraging you from lease. It's smart drivers who know how hard it is to turn a profit in trucking. Back in the day guys knew how to work on their trucks and the pay was exceptional. It's a whole different animal today. I know lots of guys who swear I should go lease and they are pretty passionate about it. The only problem is their numbers never make sense to me. Sort of the way Gore just couldn't get through to the American people about the lock box. It seemed like a good idea and I liked it. I just wasn't ready to risk it all on one guys fuzzy math.