Profile For Rubber Duck

Rubber Duck's Info

Pittsburgh , PA

1 year, 6 months ago

Rubber Duck's Bio

Flatbed Driver. I’m hanging on for dear life. I live my life a quarter mile at a time. Fighting for survival. Born to be the rulers of them all.

Rubber Duck's Photo Gallery

Posted:  5 days, 9 hours ago

Terminated - unsafe performance - Difficulty Finding New Employer

When you said you wanted to quit was it because you thought you was getting fired? Or did you think because you’ve had,

zero accidents, zero citations, zero violations, zero felonies, zero misdemeanors and Veteran status with honorable discharge you was to good to be having a talking to about such things.

Did you think because you’ve Had zero accidents, zero citations, zero violations, zero felonies, zero misdemeanors and Veteran status with honorable discharge you could just walk off one job and hop into another truck right down the street.

Be honest with yourself and the new drivers who have read this post. I’m not trying to bash you but I just hate to think a new driver would read this and think you get fired for one hard brake with such a perfect record like yours.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

What are people taught about backing

I’ve seen this a thousand times and I was that guy when I started. I couldn’t get my head around why no matter how many times I turned around I was still screwed. Trainers can’t teach everything! We got to learn most of this job while we do it.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Is this something new or has it always been.

I’m on my way home last night and I decided to top off so I could hammer down Monday mourning. I pull into the fuel island and I get behind a guy I figure is about to pull out from the pump. He’s not fueling and just finishing up squeegeeing his Windows. About 3 minutes later he got the windshield done and then proceeds to do the mirrors and the side windows with the squeegee. Then he starts walking around the truck with a bottle of glass cleaner and starts cleaning his tail lights while iM sitting right there behind him. At that point he jumps in his truck and I figure he's done. Instead he opens his door and starts glass cleaning the inside windows. At that point I backed up ad moved to the pump next to him that became free.

After about ten more minutes of house cleaning he pulls forward and goes inside. Then I look to my left and a shnider driver is doing the same exact Thing while holding up the pump. I was so mad I about made myself sick. If I would’ve had cash on me Id of bought these people some paper towels so they could do this crap some other place.

Has trucking always been like this at the fuel island? How do you deal with this? If I told this guy about himself I’m sure it would of ended in a fight and maybe going to jail.

What kind of person would come to the back of their truck and start cleaning tail lights while looking at you with white foam coming from their mouth. Did he have rabies?

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Backing

Most people aren’t naturally good at backing. The only thing you have very good control over when your new is your set up. If your set it up is good and the trailer is pointed at the hole your going to get it in eventually.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

New driver failed drug test

Call the police and press charges against him for drugging you. This is pretty sad and screwed up. He's not your friend. He's sick and demented.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Tips, Tricks, And Techniques For Rookie Drivers

The DEF Pump has a trigger lock

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Palletized coils correctly placed?

How many axles on that trailer?

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Tarping Tall Loads

This is how I do it.

0860294001599698813.jpg

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Runaway truck!

Probably just taking his 10 and trying to get as far off the road as he could. All so he didn't have to listen to all then nasty jake brakes.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

CR England and Premier Trucking School

You say they paid for everything but mentioned your credit had something to do with that. So if you have good credit cdl school is free but if you have bad credit it cost money. I don't understand?

Good evening ladies and gentlemen, I'm trying to join the trucking industry I'm a retired security officer from California. A buddy of mine said he got his CDL and a OTR job with CR England & Premier trucking school. I was looking into to this myself and may be going to this school at the end of December. My question is, what do y'all think about CR England and Premier trucking school?

Please tell me you're thoughts on this school and company I would highly appreciate it.

I recommend you don’t get your CDL through a trucking company. I got mine through a community college. They paid for everything and I didn’t pay a dime. I had perfect credit so I was approved for the program.

Plus, by going through my community college I could go to any company I wanted and leave if they sucked. If you go through C.R England what if they’re bad? Don’t want to be trapped under their mercy. I quit my first trucking job for example at TMC

Posted:  2 months, 4 weeks ago

I am interested in owner op

I would suggest being a company driver for a few years before you jump into the lease thing. It's not lazy drivers discouraging you from lease. It's smart drivers who know how hard it is to turn a profit in trucking. Back in the day guys knew how to work on their trucks and the pay was exceptional. It's a whole different animal today. I know lots of guys who swear I should go lease and they are pretty passionate about it. The only problem is their numbers never make sense to me. Sort of the way Gore just couldn't get through to the American people about the lock box. It seemed like a good idea and I liked it. I just wasn't ready to risk it all on one guys fuzzy math.

Posted:  3 months ago

First Solo week in the books

Congratulations. dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif

Posted:  3 months, 4 weeks ago

Who is more guilty

The driver is at fault. He should of gotten the load delivered without needing to go over his hours. More than likely he wasn’t doing a very good job and his DM was sick of his crap. He’s probably there so they can help him with trip planning and managing his clock and they used the excuse of an hours of service violation to get him in. There’s always more to the story so don’t let em fool you.

Posted:  4 months ago

RECENT CDL GRAD (GOT TERMINATED FOR VIOLATING COMPANY POLICY)

You didn’t like your trainer. Why?

I’m a recent CDL grad and I got terminated for “violating company policy” by TMC. During training on my home time I had beer in my hotel room and TMC fired me for violating company policy. Because their company policy states you can’t have beer when they’re paying for your hotel stay. Which I wasn’t aware of. I was only with TMC for a week... They even gave me a “reasonable suspicion” test for Alcohol — which I passed. I blew .000... What can I do now???

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Manuel Vs Automatic

I don’t know what they got you doing where your at but I’ll tell you how it typically should be going. You get a paper that tells you word for word what to point at and what to say while your pointing at it. I sat down one night and just kept reading that paper over and over until i memorized it word for word. There shouldn’t be anything that comes up that will throw you through a loop.

To answer your question I don’t think there will be any difference between a manual and auto except for maybe when you do the air brake test. Your supposed to put the transmission in 1st gear and shut the truck off during the air brake test. I never did learn what you do in an auto so I figured you put it in drive. So the first time I did it in an auto I put it in drive and shut the truck off. Then I switched the key over without starting it and the alarm kept going off. I got sick of hearing that alarm so I switched it to neutral for the test. I don’t think it matters though. The alarm I’m talking about is the one that tells you your trucks in drive and won’t start until it’s in neutral.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

PGT trucking - Any input?

I seen a YouTube guy named trucking by faith making videos about Pgt. He could probably give you some info. Just search trucking by faith on youtube. He seems to love it there but says rates are down but might be getting better soon. Both tmc and Pgt pay percentage but tmc starts at a little higher as you move up In percentage faster at tmc. They are a little more strict on things like cleaning the truck. I cant even get into the blue beacon most days because their guys are all there at once. What tmc pays for truck washes a week could feed the entire population of a small third world country.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Flatbed with Prime?

I see now the errors in my calculations but found more. I see now your talking about getting home Friday and leaving back out Monday once a month. Now in that case I think the income potential is greater but much less home time than a regional driver would get. I was thinking home not driving for 5 days in a row. Which is what a new driver might of believed when you say 4 or five days home.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Flatbed with Prime?

I don’t doubt you did good. What I doubt is you took 5 days off in a row after 4 weeks and did good. I’m not just basing this on a guess. I shouldn’t of said that. It’s actually a matter of fact that your going to reset or your going to run recaps. Either way your taking off time each week either by being short hours or doing a reset. If you realized my way of thinking which is the right way of thinking before you take a job then you can make the best choice on which job to take. If your plan is to take 5 days off after 4 weeks your running like a part timer. Your losing Lots of money.

And you're basing that statement on what?

You see, I actually drove a flatbed for prime, so I'm basing my statement on facts and experience. Never once in my time did I take 3 resets in a month.

My guess

Exactly. It's only a guess on your part. We don't deal in guesses here, we give people unbiased facts and let them make their own decision.

I can't speak for TMC, but my time at Prime showed me that days can turn into weeks in a row when freight is good. Ebb & flow.

Statements such as Rubber Duck's are simply guesses with no basis in fact.

I did very well at Prime, because I put forth the effort. I'm confident I would have done equally well at TMC.

That is the truth.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Flatbed with Prime?

This is the trucking fantasy. It's not the same amount of time off. Your going to reset on the road 3 times in a 4 week period then take 5 days off. Im no mathematician far from it but the writing is on the wall. My guess is a minimum of 10 thousand dollars in losses to the driver if a he raN this way. But it's not all about money so if being home 5 days in a row is worth 10k a year I say go for it then. Being happy is what it's all about. I'm just trying to tell the truth on the trucking truth because that's the truth.

Rubber Duck states:

What’s really going to happen is your going to lose a ton of money going home for a whole week and at the end of the year your going to be missing thousand and thousands of dollars compared to what you would of made doing resets at your house every weekend.

Whether someone takes a 34 every weekend or instead takes several days off in a row at the end of the month, the amount of days taken off are the same. So the argument that you'd lose thousands and thousands of dollars is false.

Income potential at both companies is largely identical, and based on a driver's effort.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Thinking about career change from law enforcement to truck driving

Thanks for what you do and I hope things change. I think after the election things will get back to normal.