Comments By Rubber Duck

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0884283001580434875-86357.jpg avatar

Posted:  4 weeks ago

Second Chance companies

What was the citation for that’s on your MVR?

Posted:  4 weeks ago

Need help on staying cool at night

Have you tried sitting something heavy on the fuel pedal?

Posted:  1 month ago

Fired

John I know! It’s crazy they fired you for that. I have a friend who worked at western and he had an accident with his trainer then he went on to have many many accidents including several load shifts and he never got fired for it. I think it might of just been bad luck for you. I don’t see why nobody will take you and I wouldn’t give up. If you applied at a thousand company’s try and apply for a thousand more and make sure your finding out why they won’t take you. Then you can work on that or get better advice on what to do. I don’t yet see why nobody will hire you for a little fender bender on private property with no police report. Or am I wrong about this incident?

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

What would you do?

And also my thoughts and prayers are with the family of this peaceful protestor who was standing on the dolly between the trailers.May you find what you was looking for in heaven.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

What would you do?

I Think it was probably illegal for the protestor to be on that road protesting. So I think this driver could sue the estate of this victim for lost wages/pain and suffering. That’s my opinion.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Air Leakage Tests

I don't remember having the 2psi single vehicle thing in the pa cdl learners manual. It was probably there but I just have no memory of it.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

FMCSA: Long-awaited final HOS revisions announced

The Agency will modify the sleeper-berth exception to allow drivers to split their required 10 hours off duty into two periods: an 8/2 split, or a 7/3 split—

”with neither period counting against the driver’s 14 hour driving window.”

someone tell me is I got his right please. In regards to the neither period counting against the 14

I drive 1 hour and take a 3 hour break in sleeper.

Then I drive 8 hours and then take a 30 minute break.

Then I drive 1.5 hours. I've done a 14 hour day and now take an 8 hour break in sleeper.

After my 8 hours in the sleeper will I get back 3 hours? Thank you

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Greetings!!

Your going to have recruiters come in and offer you a job. Put everyone of the ones you like in your phone contact list. When you land your fist local job remember the numbers are in there. When you feel like your in over your head give one of them a call and get on the bus or rental car and go to one of them for a job. If you start local and you feel like your trying to climb mount Everest remember what these guys are telling you. It's a tall mountain to make it OTR but it's a freaking mount Everest to make it local. if You don't have oxygen tanks or the stamina or the skills don't be afraid to go back down and get some experience. Most of the guys who make it as a city driver came from hard labor job and for them driving the truck and only unloading one truck a day compared to loading 20 was a no brainer. For me unloading just one truck is insane and I quickly realized I needed to pull up. Pull up, pull up, pull up. I got out before the plane hit the ground.

I’m just going to have to test that theory for myself. That said, I do appreciate your advice. Thanks smile.gif

I was 1 of maybe 4 members here that got lucky starting local and making it out unscathed

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Backing delimma

If the trailer is pointed at the hole but your tractor isn’t set up to push the trailer in the right direction fix it when you can. When your setting up to back always be thinking about the back of the trailer as your setting up. Drive the trailer into the spot that puts you and the tractor in a position to push the trailer into the hole. Don’t worry about not being trained to back. You passed your cdl test. You got all the tools you need now to back a trailer up it’s just going to take time to get good at it.

Posted:  2 months ago

Fired for accidents, will I be able to get a new job?

You been on here for a while now hopefully reading some stuff. The first thing you would realize is mom and pops can't afford to hire a new driver especially one who cant even make it out of a parking lot. They can't afford to train you either. Try applying at some of the big boys and get back out there before you go stale. Good luck.

Mom and Pop companies are also good advice. I was in a much worse situation, and I ended up, after about three months, working for a mom and pop.

Also, PRAY.

Dave

Have 0 idea as to who r mom and pop companies. My problem is I have 4 days of driving experience. Out with my trainer and I short turned around a parked 18er and clipped it puncturing radiator at maybe 4mph as I have posted on other areas of site. It was towed,fired. one billion percent my fault. Despretly need a chance. I have learned extensively from my mistake. What I here,, is apply apply apply. Doing so decline decline decline. If it's pointless I need to move on. ? Has any 1 ever heard of a 4 day rookie with 4 days driving get a 2nd chance ??? As I stated obove I keep hearing about mom and pops ??? Can any 1 give me a lead on some mom and pops ?? From what I can tell if I had 3 months exsperence ? Any way I am sure I got my answer with my previous subject post. I hope not but it is what it is. One at fault accident at 3 mph, radiator has hole in it fired, no one was ever in harm's way. Just short of 47 years of driving with out a single accident. ??

Posted:  2 months ago

Fired for accident

Who’s turned you down since you started applying again?

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Why Just Why

To avoid the one week wonders taking off your bumper. To tired to back, scared someone would nose bomb it while you was setting up to back. To avoid the sound of the reefer or the guy who just idles for the hell of it. Or the bad air dryer guy.

So many times we see a fellow driver do something that makes us scratch our heads. So let's have a little fun here and ask some why just why questions.

Why? Just Why would pull in to a truck stop spot tractor first?

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Western Express Trucking Contract

Let me tell you a story johny about the last time I got screwed over and blamed my company and was ranting and raving full blown terminal rat style to anyone who would listen. Sometimes I get complacent and forget that there is no finish line. A few weeks ago I was ahead of the game and had a short run from pittsburgh to Baltimore that paid me 250 bucks on like 280 miles. Easy money but not great. Picked up Thursday and delivered Friday.

Thursday I slept in because I knew I could make it to my consignee and sleep there. The load info said they unload at 7am. I figured as long as I got there by 10pm Thursday night I’d be able to unload off the clock the next mourning. . Even if I got empty by 8am I’d be able to run as soon as I was empty. So complacent me slept in.

Thursday I got Got empty and then picked up my Baltimore load out of Pittsburgh. I hit the road and stopped 5 times on the way. Shower ect ect. I show up in Baltimore around 9pm and there’s now 5 trucks ahead of me all from my company. I start asking where are you guys going tomorrow. Turns out we are all going to the same place about an hour and half away to get bricks. I go to bed and set my alarm for 7am because I'm tired from running like a mad man for the last few weeks and now I'm just going to sail down easy street until I make it home Friday evening.

I got up at 7am expecting a few of them guys to be empty already. Turns out every one of them was gone already. I didn’t call ahead to confirm their receiving hours because I didn’t care about getting in early that day. They actually start around 5:30 am.

Oh well I figured. After this I just got an hour and a half dead head to my bricks and then it's just 4 hours to my house for the weekend.

I show up at the brick yard right before lunch and all my brothers and sister are already loaded and gone home for the weekend. I don't really care though because I'm just doing me today. I've reached the finish line. I wait an hour and half and they get back from lunch and load me up. I strap and tarp and get rolling. Everyone else is half way home or better by now.

30 minutes away with my load on my back I get a phone call from my dispatcher. He tells me the load I have is the wrong load. Somehow dispatch gave me the wrong load and the load I picked up doesn’t deliver until next Thursday. I was told I have to turn around and get unloaded and that they was going to send me the correct pick up number. So now it’s Friday and like always when things go wrong it seems like it’s always on Friday. I turned around and I went back to get unloaded but before I went and screwed myself even more I went in to see if the new load number was good to go. The guard tells me that my new load number was picked up around 10am.

Would you look at that. Trucking karma. Did my dispatcher have some fantasy about teaching me lesson about getting lazy even when it doesn’t hurt the pay check or anyone at all? I wonder. Yep I’m in full blown terminal rat mode now.

I didn’t unload them bricks. I worked it out where I could drop them off at our yard and grab another load on Monday. I got screwed out of a Monday drop over this and I lost at least 350 bucks on my paycheck that next week.

Nobody was really out to screw me but every planet and every star in my mind was lined up and pointing the finger right at my company even though this was completely all my fault.

All I had to do was out perform the other 5 guys that day and one of them would of gotten screwed instead of me. I could of easily done that. I was ahead of every one of them out of Pittsburgh. I could of been first in Baltimore and first at the brick yard. I did me that day and finished dead last.

Thing is I know it’s my fault because I been driving long enough now to understand the game. It’s not about who’s screwing who it’s about making things happen and performing miracles. Its about out performing your peers every single day. It’s about climbing up that ladder and understanding that the ladder works both ways. You can go up and you can go down. Your a new driver and if you give it enough time and think about how you can do better everyday then one day you will be at the top of that ladder or some where near the top. No your never going to get rich driving a truck but you can make all that you can make. Or be all that you can be at western. Don’t think you got it all figured out already and that you know the game. If you did you would be making good money at western like many western drivers I know.

So what’s the moral of this story. Be the best everyday because **** flows down hill.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

CDL suspended for 12 months.

What physical evidence was presented at your trial that you spent 4 grand defending yourself at?

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Best purchase for OTR life!

A power inverter and a real refrigerator and microwave are the best investments you can make. There’s nothing like being able to drive your full 11 everyday without worrying about food or cold drinks.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Crete idling

Does the horn blow when the truck auto starts? My horn does. With the shaking of the truck combined with the horn blow every 10 minutes or so it’s hard to sleep like that.

Our trucks cannot just freely idle, they automatically turn off after a few minutes. But we do have opi idle for keeping the batteries charged and AC, once enabled the truck will turn on and off when needed to charge the batteries and or run the AC to cool the truck down for driver comfort. We have Espar bunk heaters for all our trucks for heating during the winter.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Lumpers: Highest You Had To Pay

I met a driver who got fired from one of them company’s I won’t name them but they rhyme with bj bunt. Said he was somehow stealing the lumper money and unloading the trailers himself. I guess if he used a lumper they would pay 300 dollars but if he unloaded he got a whole lot less. I can’t remember what he said he got paid to do it but it was a far cry from what the limpets would get.

Posted:  3 months ago

First Week Experience

Sounds like the typical driver trainer so I’d try my best to get through it or get on a different truck. Whatever you do don’t let anyone stop you from getting the job you already worked so hard to get. This is the part trainees never expect. Do you rise up quit or break your neck and do the work. Stand up speak with your chest, your dream is now reality can you survive the test.

Posted:  3 months ago

Home time?

A regional flatbed job should get you home just about every week for at least one full day. You won’t have to do no dollar stores or hard labor and you can make good money. I made 80k regional flatbed second full year, 75k third and If corona don’t destroy the world I should make 75k again this year. That’s home every weekend plus some holidays plus a whole lot of long weekends plus a few days throughout the week here and there when near by. You will be home for just about every holiday because these places we deliver aren’t usually open on holidays. You can run every bit as hard as a long haul driver and be regional so don’t go long hauling unless you really want to. You aren’t losing any money going home for a reset if your running hard. That’s the typical money and type of home time you would get doing regional flatbed. It’s still not a whole lot of home time. It’s just a reset at the house that last usually around 40 hours give or take. There will be weeks you get home Friday and leave Saturday. Some weeks you get home Saturday and leave Monday. Some weeks you will get home Saturday and leave Sunday running on recaps. It’s just enough time at home to keep the wife thinking she got a husband.

Posted:  3 months ago

What does a quarantine due to coronavirus mean for truckers?

This must be why they had to shut down Alex Jones and all the conspiracy theorist last year. The globalist must of been planning this out for years.