Comments By Rubber Duck

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0884283001580434875-86357.jpg avatar

Posted:  3 months, 4 weeks ago

Home time?

A regional flatbed job should get you home just about every week for at least one full day. You won’t have to do no dollar stores or hard labor and you can make good money. I made 80k regional flatbed second full year, 75k third and If corona don’t destroy the world I should make 75k again this year. That’s home every weekend plus some holidays plus a whole lot of long weekends plus a few days throughout the week here and there when near by. You will be home for just about every holiday because these places we deliver aren’t usually open on holidays. You can run every bit as hard as a long haul driver and be regional so don’t go long hauling unless you really want to. You aren’t losing any money going home for a reset if your running hard. That’s the typical money and type of home time you would get doing regional flatbed. It’s still not a whole lot of home time. It’s just a reset at the house that last usually around 40 hours give or take. There will be weeks you get home Friday and leave Saturday. Some weeks you get home Saturday and leave Monday. Some weeks you will get home Saturday and leave Sunday running on recaps. It’s just enough time at home to keep the wife thinking she got a husband.

Posted:  3 months, 4 weeks ago

What does a quarantine due to coronavirus mean for truckers?

This must be why they had to shut down Alex Jones and all the conspiracy theorist last year. The globalist must of been planning this out for years.

Posted:  4 months ago

It just got real...

Isn’t that the truth. The expensive gloves get ruined just as fast as the cheap ones from them damn bungies lol.

With flatbed and curtainside you will eat through gloves. I've got a $95 pair that lasted about as long as a cheap pair. Between bungee cords and straps sliding through your hands as you check them the gloves will get eaten.

Posted:  4 months ago

Magnastop??

Congrats on the upgrade. That device could come in handy and if I had to slide tandems I’d have one.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

What is a normal wait time?

How long did you wait before calling in? What did they tell you when you called them?

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Yearly Pay Numbers for 2019

It's more about the chrome than anything else. If these company trucks came chromed out nobody would buy a truck.

Brett, you're missing one of the biggest perks of being an O/O!

I can put as many stickers on as I want to!

smile.gif

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Failed drug test

Can Prilosec or Prevacid, or Sudafed or ibuprofens or Tylenol, or alive cause a failed hair test? I take all of them and I don’t have a prescription.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

What does a quarantine due to coronavirus mean for truckers?

It would be great if manufacturing would return as a result of this. We are going to need the jobs BAD. There won’t be any restaurant jobs for the next hundred years probably.

Yep. MBA/CPA now truck driver. 27 years with a major financial services firm. Took an early retirement package and decided that I wanted to drive a truck for a few years.

One of my jobs was as a Business Contigency Risk Manager. We did several "War Games" over the years concerning pandemics and they played out pretty much like this one is. I was also deeply involved in configuring our systems and process to cope with the 9/11 week long market shutdown.

You mention the $5 trillion "liquidity guarantee", not a loan. Guess what? I used to manage the cash desk for a major part of our business. I made $500M+ repo purchases daily with Deutsche Bank. Repos are just overnight loans for liquidity purposes, they are not driving up the economy. I just checked the NY Fed repo operations numbers for this weekend and it's less then $24B. That $5 T is an over the top number to reassure the nation's CFO's.

Stimulus packages, I think they will help. Russia/Ukraine, not really sure I see a threat to the world's economy there. Chinese EMP. You mention a laser at a ship, pretty sure the US Navy can defend itself against anyone. If your are talking EMP attack on our countries infrastructure, that would require nukes and economics really won't matter anymore.

My opinion? I think we will be in a recession for 2 or 3 quarters. During that time the virus will either fade out like SARS did, be beaten by medical science or run it's course and infect just about everyone with most recovering and unfortunately many deaths. After that the bounce back will be swift. Many companies will surely go under but I think the global supply chain weakness exposed by this will bring more manufacturing back on shore.

The world is not ending, there is no grand conspiracy pulling the worlds puppet strings via a virus and don't believe everything you read on-line.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Tough times, tough decisions for everone.

Even if you don’t return to prime. If you got your cdl through then I’d repay them just like you would need to repay a private school. When the apocalypse is over you should have no trouble putting that cdl to use rebuilding the nation.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

CA, IL & NY issue, "Stay-at-home" orders.

PA shut down all non essential places. I’m supposed to start calling places to see if they are open before I waste my time going. things are changing by the minute so a place that was going to be open tomorrow might not be open by the time I get there.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

WA Permit arrived - are companies still hiring with all of the corona madness

Soon all that will be left are guys hauling essentials and garbage men. But if the garbage men stop picking up I’d board up the windows and get ready for the apocalypse.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Pennsylvania is shutting down rest stops!

How would they like it if the truck stops locked trucks out Of parking. It would shut the economy down faster than corona.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

What does a quarantine due to coronavirus mean for truckers?

All the pa turnpike service plazas shut down the restaurants inside for 2 weeks. anyone coming through needs to stop in Carlisle or something if they want a decent meal.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

What does a quarantine due to coronavirus mean for truckers?

We are safer as long as we carry our own ink pen on us.

In OTR trucking you meet very few people on any day. Shipping/receiving and a few truck stop clerks are the only ones you may come into personal contact with. Not like people being Jammed together in an airplane for a couple of hours, or even brushing up against other people in Walmart

I figure truck drivers are safer because of the nature of their job.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Getting a cdl with a learning disability

How cant she? It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to drive a big truck. Anyone who can read the English language and has a drivers license can get a cdl. Where did you hear that a learning disability will stop you from driving A truck? It actually never crossed my mind when I applied to a cdl school and I’m a few screws short of a full deck. If your wife can drive a car good then she can learn to drive a truck good. Your never asked to write an essay. There’s a online cdl practice tests that if you take enough anyone could memorize the answers. I laid up the night before taking the written test and did the online test over and over for about 8 hours. Eventually I memorized the answers to every question and for every endorsement. If your wife wants a cdl she shouldn’t be discouraged over a learning disability. This is profession where you don’t need to be book smart at all. Encourage her if she wants it and tell her she won’t be alone out here.

Hi everyone, question: How My wife can get a CDL but she had a learning disability she can read and write misspelling and sometimes can't understand any topic on the book and where she can get it! She drives perfect, she knows how to drive a 5 speed car...

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

My career is about to start!

It depends on what you screw up. I went through a private school like you. I got on with one of them so called starter companies that take on new drivers. So far I’ve torn off a bumper. Smashed the side of my truck off another vehicle, backed into another vehicle, damaged private property, destroyed 2 tires and rims. That’s about it I think. Luckily for me my company seen something in me that kept them giving me another chance. I’ve been well over a year now without an incident and I’ve learned from each of my screw ups. Even though my company didn’t pay for my school they had a vested Interest in me. They sent me through orientation for 1 week and I had 5 weeks with a trainer. During my first retraining they told me they had a vested interest in me and that they already spent like 9 grand to get me to the point I was at. I don’t know if all these companies are so forgiving but who you start with is extremely important.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

My career is about to start!

Take it one day at a time. I wouldn’t worry about things a month down the road right now. It might seem simple and it actually kind of is but it’s not so simple you won’t fail. I’d stay focused on the here and now.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Harassment & blocking diesel pumps

I've been there. I usually beat on the window and ask if there doing a thirty. I let them know if they are ill go inside and get my shower before I pull up. Just kidding.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Not having a ton of fun this week

One way I've found to avoid burning up my clock is to sleep at the consignees or shippers. Then I can work 18 20 hours a day. Works wonders. I'll google earth the place and figure out if I can sneak in and park for the night. Or ill find a place on the street to park. I'm lucky though I get to go to the same 1000 places all the time so I got a good lay of the land. I'm also lucky to have some old heads to let me know about places. Keep an eye out for that million mile driver at your company you keep running into and make him your new best friend.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Predictive technology increases driver safety, benefits carriers

Your not even kidding. That's the truth.

I though the three Precogs, Agatha, Arthur, and Dash were allowed to leave and the Minority Report program was shut down now they bring it back for this??? SMH...