Comments By Rev

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0465004001625411729-99807.jpg avatar
  • Rev
  • 1 year, 6 months ago
  • Comments:

Truck Stops - I hate them already 🤣

Thanks everybody - I’m so new at this and so much to learn and remember as you all know. Creep mode I like that... makes sense. If I’m at a customer and I’m still on my 10 hour I could creep and won’t switch my status. I remember someone talking about this the other day. Thanks for reminder !

Truck Stops - I hate them already 🤣

Awwwwwww.... thanks so much!!!

Its your logbook and its ultimately your responsibility. BUT many drivers will creep (under 5mph) to the unload area if they're onsite. This allows them to unload while off duty and start with a fresh clock when they're done unloading. Legally moving the truck/checking in is supposed to be on duty and/or Yard Move however thats one way that many drivers will maximize their earning potential. You could also use a split sleeper berth if needed.

Truck Stops - I hate them already 🤣

Thanks Old School! That’s exactly my plan for today’s run. Going to fuel and head for my first stop for tomorrow at 0700. Just have to watch that clock. Don’t want to be parked outside and tell them- I have to sit for an hour or two before I can move to unload dancing.gif

Hey Jared, as a flat-bed driver, I would bet some of your customers would allow you to park on their premises. I also ran a dedicated flatbed gig. I would oftentimes park at my customer's location. Let's say I had a 0700 appointment. I'd arrive the night before around 2200 or 2300 then unload in the morning and get started on my other stops.

When you want to take a shower, it's hard to beat a good truck stop though. smile.gif

Truck Stops - I hate them already 🤣

Ok, first time out and first time at truck stop and my goodness it’s a whole new world I’ve encountered haha.

I pretty much will try to avoid them if I can. Where do most park? I’ve seen some pretty comfy weigh stations, rest stops with hardly anyone parking there.

I have a buddy who parks close to his first stop in a retail area (not in the lot) but on a side street that’s not congested. Think, retail areas where everyone is gone and lots of empty street parking.

Just wondering... though I will say I was surprised at how nice the shower was at Loves in Post Falls, Idaho 🎉

Posted:  1 year, 2 months ago

What does a typical WEEKLY schedule look like for a new driver?

This has been one of the biggest surprises starting trucking. And I’m green green green. Just went solo this last week (after one week of training with mentor after orientation and 2 days of account training) and at home getting ready to head out today.

I’m on a dedicated route that runs Washington State to Northern Idaho. With anywhere from 10-18 stops on the way back. Out Sunday return Tuesday afternoon. Out Wednesday morning return Friday (sometime). Then home till Sunday afternoon.

My first 5 days I clocked 64 hours. Pretty much we fight against the 14 hour clock on this dedicated route. With securement checks (flatbed) stoping at the required mileage. Stopping for weight stations, bathroom breaks. This is not counting- pre-trip planing at home, prepping to leave, cleaning everything when you return. Driving back from our DC which is 45-60min one way.

Again for me the biggest eye opener is how important learning your clock and for me the route and what it really takes and NOT RUSH during this learning phase. Plus, how much little time we really get to rest and relax.

I went solo this week at Schneider .. 😅

Thanks Chris and Steve!

In the beginning...

Welcome! Have you checked out TMC? Seems to have a great veteran support program.

Army Veteran

I am starting my CDL school on Monday 4/26/2021. I have begun to narrow down my list of potential starter companies. I am using the Post 9/11 GI Bill to pay for it. Navy vet. Werner and Stevens are on the list, they offer the military apprenticeship, BAH of approx. $1300.00 a month. Prime is on the list because the drivers seem to like it there. Pride Transport is also on the list, however they have a six month contract for all drivers (I think). So I might go with the apprenticeship for 6 months or so then go over to Pride? It is all a bit confusing, I will be given opinions leaning in all directions (I know). Using this forum to talk it out loud will, I hope, make it less daunting.

Thanx Mike

I went solo this week at Schneider .. 😅

Well, the turn of events at Schneider keeps on going and it’s turning into a great adventure 😂

As some may have read in my past posts I’ve had a interesting journey at Schneider. No different then any other mega corporation. I’m having fun and being challenged for sure.

I started flatbed with a mentor this week (Monday- April 19th) with the plan to “go as long as you like with a mentor until you are confident to go solo” which sounded like a good plan.

So far my trucking journey has been:

1. CDL school in February 2. Took and last test first week of March 3. Schmeider orientation in Phoenix for two weeks 4. One week TE (training engineer) on a Target dedicated account 5. Discovered the account I was hired for was no where near what was presented. 6. Switched to flatbed docs in and went to two days of securement training April 12-13 7. Did a ride along with one of the lead drivers on the account I will be working on that was April 16th 8. An agreed upon mentoring week with lead drivers April 19-23rd (if needed longer) primarily because the type of account they want 3 months of solo experience.

I started my mentoring phase Monday 19th - what’s a whirl wind. Plan was 18 stops. My focus was the workflow of the tablet and close maneuvering at customers etc.

Tuesday was more the same with a different lead driver. WELL- half way through the day our DBL reached out and wanted to know if I was ready to go solo ....

Funny thing was.. I had text my wife at one of our stops “I won’t need 5 days of this to be ready to go solo - maybe 3 days max” 😂

Well, I went solo Wednesday the 20th with my own 3 days short run. What an experience! Left Wednesday got back last night around 6pm

Pulling into my DC to pick up my first loaded trailer- strapping it down and pulling out. WOW.

What I like about the team of drivers working this account I’m on (PrimeSource building supplies) they have built a great teamwork atmosphere and support each other incredibly.

Left the yard and headed to Northern Idaho to park up to start my deliveries for 0700 Thursday morning.

The feeling of being solo on my own when I left was exhilarating! I wasn’t expecting that at all. Wasn’t overly nervous. Felt the two days with lead drivers helped me understand to take it slow at customers in close maneuvering, GOAL lots, and take up space when turning. “That trailer needs two lanes of solace to turn and it will take it from sidewalks and guardrails- so make sure you create the space” that comment changed my life! Hahaha

Thursday night I parked at a Loves for first time - headed to the back found a spot that had 8 empty spaces and backed that flatbed right in now caring how it looked and then experienced a truck stop for the first time- well that was interesting. Paid $13 for a hot shower after waiting in line for an hour - yes it was worth it.

My first load was 18 stops - broke it up in two days and headed home Friday (yesterday) and it was great.

Couple of observations for new drivers:

1. We are hourly drivers on this account - in 5 days I clocked 63 hours. Not counting all the “off time” prep work that it takes to be prepared and successful. So be prepared new drivers. They won’t tell you this on the recruit call.

2. Don’t focus on getting home. If you do, you will start to rush and you will make mistakes. I started seeing this towards the end of my day yesterday.

3. Have fun!

More to come !

Posted:  1 year, 2 months ago

I did it! Wel Companies here I come!

Congrats! 🎉🎉🎉🎉

Well after a year in limbo due to the pandemic I finally got my CDL! I passed the test and started to look around for driving opportunities other than what I was doing (Yard Dog since late 2019). I looked around and was offered a job at Wel. I am extremely excited to begin this new adventure and will be headed to WI for onboarding this Sunday!

Flatbed here I come!

Thank you! YouTube has been fun. Thanks for following!

Great update - been following along on YouTube as well!

Flatbed here I come!

Thank you kind sir!

It was some fast changes for sure. I was super glad I was on the target account for training. Target parking lots 😅🙏🏼

Wow, that's a lot of potential change in a short amount of time. I'm glad to hear you were able to work it out by staying with Schneider. You always struck me as someone who will fit in the asset column. I'm sure they saw it too, which is why they tweaked the rules a little to keep you there. The ball is back in your court to show them they were correct.

Good luck Jared, and welcome to flatbed.

Flatbed here I come!

Happy Sunday, April 18, 2021

Well, it’s been an interesting journey here at Schndeider. A great experience for sure. Here are some updates:

After my week with my TE/mentor driving his Target dedicated account. It was a double drop and hook which at first I had NO IDEA what that was -that changed quick LOL. After a week of two stores each day I can say coupling and uncoupling I’m upgraded from newbie to newbie 2.0 haha.

It was a great week solid trainer. Helped me with a modified 45 setup for real life backing that was “going to come soon”

After that week I got home and made my first phone connection with my first DBL (driver business leader) super nice guy and as we started getting into the “boots on the ground” as I like to call it l, regarding the account I was hired for and it was clear.

Someone (recruiter) didn’t understand the account I was pitched. Basically led to two days of conversation which ended up with me sending a detailed email regarding what I was told, what the job posting said and what the reality for the account from my DBL expectations and I determined there was no way i would have applied for the particular account. Wasn’t going to fit my lifestyle at all. So, I politely quit and had no hard feelings at all.

This ended up with a phone call from my DBL and we talked through some possible options if I wanted to stay at Schneider. Which I did.

Sooooooo.... I was pitched flatbed account. The same account I wanted to apply for but didn’t have the 3-month driving requirement. Low and behold - that was waved if I wanted to give it a shot.

They set me up to do a ride along week before last to get a good look at the job ( Prime Source account ) delivering to Home Depot’s etc flatbed with curtains.

I had a great time and I was like — this fits me perfect. Went to two days of securement training last week. Picked up first truck - it was mess. That’s fine my wife and I cleaned it up proper.

This week I will go out 3 or so with a mentor to get a good feel and I can stir as many days as I want my new DBL said and next week most likely. I will go solo. 😅

I just wanted to give a quick update!

Posted:  1 year, 2 months ago

Bookmobile Librarian Turned Trucker??

Welcome to the site and the journey into trucking. I’m way to new to add anything but to say.... you’ve come to the right place to get the right advice. Welcome !

The Driver Toolbox - So To Speak

Thanks everyone for contributing to this post. As a new solo driver- getting my truck this week. This is so helpful!

Posted:  1 year, 2 months ago

Got To love when people can’t back(Got hit at a truck stop)

Man that sucks - please don’t misunderstand my response. I’m a newbie but I do know - running is not the way to do it. 🙏🏼

Posted:  1 year, 2 months ago

Got To love when people can’t back(Got hit at a truck stop)

Sorry that happened - at the same time. Backing up a truck is hard for new drivers and we don’t get any real training or time under the wheel to have any real skill to do so. Just like when you started.

Though - running someone down to own up to their accident is not right. 🙏🏼

Schneider Orientation 😅

Thanks brotha! Enjoy the journey and Happy Easter!

Glad everything is going great for you. I’m excited to start my new career soon to. Happy Easter!

Hey all!

Well, it’s a wrap. I just got home from my 3 week training journey with Schneider finishing with my 5 days with the training engineer (TE)/mentor. Overall was a great experience out with the TE. Super nice guy and well experienced. Stayed in a hotel nightly-do to the account he is on (target dedicated local) so that worked out.

Schneider flew me last Saturday from Phoenix to Portland and rented me a car to drive to Albany, Oregon.

The real added bonus was- I live only 4 hours away from Albany. My trainer had Tuesday-Wednesdays off so my wife drove down and we spent two days in McMinnville, Oregon in the heart of wine country and had a great break. Weather was upper 60’s it was perfect. Then I headed back out for the last two days of training.

Couple of thoughts:

1. I enjoyed the account I trained on. It was a double drop and hook at both of the stories we went to daily. So I had a chance to do a fair amount of dropping and hooking and small space slow maneuvering to position trailers. Plus driving through packed Target parking lots - whew, that was an experience hahaha

2. Going slow wins the race even though it can frustrate others around you. Let them be frustrated. Go slow in backing, turning, driving (i mean obey the law and all haha) but honestly - I found myself less frustrated when I just slowed down and took my time.

3. My family dynamic and this 3 weeks away from home showed us we are not cut out to be on the road for 3 weeks at time. It was a great discovery process. My wife and I had lots of great talks about this and after being together for 33 years - we still like being around each other ❤️

I’m glad I picked a home on the weekends dedicate account .

4. The trucking truth has been a valuable community to connect with and I am glad I found all of you. I’m here to stay :)

I’m looking forward to hearing from my new direct report and get the next step of this journey going. Haven’t heard from anyone yet but I’m sure it’s normal- it’s the weekend and I going to ask for the a few days off anyways. I’m anticipating what the recruiter told me about the job assignment is correct and there will be no surprises.

Have a great weekend everybody!

Posted:  1 year, 2 months ago

Leaving Gov. job to OTR. Am I crazy?

As someone who started this journey (5 months ago- I just finished my training with Schneider yesterday) towards a 2nd career and complete change of direction after 25 years.... of course you’re crazy- that’s the good part 🙂

Welcome to the forum - you will find a generous amount of advice and information here and the best part you will me amazing people who truly want to see you succeed. 🎉

Schneider Orientation 😅

Hey all!

Couple of thoughts:

I’m glad I picked a home on the weekends dedicate account .

Have a great weekend everybody!

Schneider Orientation 😅

Living the hotel life !

Learning to sleep in a parked truck is novel and is something best enjoyed after you get your truck keys.

Opting for a hotel was the right decision.

Truth. I wouldn't have wanted to sleep in the TE's truck. It was full of his stuff. I enjoyed "moving in" and making the space my own.