Comments By Jim M.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/yellow-pete.jpg avatar
  • Jim M.
  • 6 years ago
  • Comments:

Running Heavy

I have seen incredibly massive forklifts, can't even tell you what the capacity of these giants are. I saw one in a YouTube video so large the trick the operator performed seemed way too impossible: the driver good drive forward, skip a dime onto his fork and place the coin in a cup filled with water!! Unbelievable! I could not see any trick photography going on but who knows...

Sorry I got off-topic, but that was one very large forklift!

Starting Career With Prime?

Jonathan,

Welcome to the forum, and to your new career choice.

I, like you, am starting a new career, am middle aged (51), married with two teenage daughters. I spent 25 years in construction and feel like it was time for me to move onto something entirely different and appealing.

It's exciting and nerve-racking at the same time, but something that I am sure will pay off and will be a rewarding experience.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks TT: I passed my permit test

Connecticut DMV tests are computerized and are automatically graded as you go along. So on the 30 question General Knowledge test if you answer 24 straight questions correct, it advances you to the next section and you passed the Gen. Know., it's pretty simple.

Suggestion to Get Eye Exam

Thanks for your responses everyone.

The bargain places such as Walmart, Costco, etc. are likely a good deal when you factor in needing sunglasses at the same time.

When I took my DOT physical, she passed me and did not mention possibly needing them so in effect I already have a card indicating I passed. It was the DMV inspector who "suggested" I get my eyes examined just in case glasses would be required.

I am going to have my eyes tested all the same and if I do need corrective eyewear for driving I will purchase those frames as well as the tinted version at the same time.

A.B. CDL Driving School (CT)

Day Seven:

Man did it rain here in my neck of the woods, dang!

We made the best of it of course; pre-trip with the class that is ahead of us, to see how they do it, then we ran through two drop and hook maneuvers after a tutorial from one of the instructors. About this time is when the heavy rain started to pelt us, so we all teamed up in pairs and worked within the trucks running through air brake tests.

After lunch, it cleared for a little while and we worked on the air brake tests including rolling forward and back testing the service brakes.

Roehl driver training from start to end.....

Wine Taster,

I have been following right along with you through school and training and your instructor and now your own truck. I can say that I am so happy for you and wish you all the best and brightest that comes your way!!

Take it easy and of course SAFE!!

A.B. CDL Driving School (CT)

Day Six:

Start of week two, we reviewed the pre-trip process including air brake test section. We went out in the yard/range and began by going through the various components and systems of each of the different truck/tractors that the school uses. After lunch we were shown the actual pre-trip procedure including air brake test. Then for the remainder of the day we paired up with another student and took turns with the air brake portion of the test.

Easy enough to get through and complete. The truck I was in is a 1995 Volvo/GMC White, it really shows it's age in a visual sense, 1.4 million miles on this old dog, but it sounded awesome.

Funny thing, the guy I was paired up with is someone who is the same age, we went to school together and played pee-wee football together until his family moved to the adjoining town where he graduated high school. We know the same people, the same streets and remembered doing all the same things you do as kids and teenagers. We were kind of tripping down memory lane for awhile there.

It was a good day, finally getting out in the field and poking around a big rig.

Suggestion to Get Eye Exam

Pat,

Thanks I'll check into Walmart. My wife suggested I go to her eye doctor.

Ken,

Thanks for the link, I do have a Walmart nearby I can check out, thanks.

Suggestion to Get Eye Exam

Thank you all. I figured as much. No biggie I suppose, I'll get an appointment set up as early as possible, and get it out of the way now.

Pardon my venting on CDL applications......

Congrats Minnie,

All the best to you and getting your career underway!

Suggestion to Get Eye Exam

Hi all,

Yesterday I went to the DMV to test for and obtain my CDL Permit, which I did in fact get, passed the tests without much ado.

The officer who recorded my eye exam was a little concerned with my inability to correctly recite all of the 15 numbers highlighted on lines three and four. He mentioned that he was allowing me to take the test and marking me down as passing but recommended get my eyes examined soon, as he thinks I may need glasses for driving to account for the distance vision handicap.

My question is thus: Should I take this test right away or wait until after I complete they CDL exams and have a CDL license? I'm pretty sure I know the answer to my own question but would like some feedback from all of you.

Thanks everyone.

Got my Permit...

Congratulations Ken,

I got my CDL permit yesterday also. Good luck on your endorsements!

Going to my interview today!!!!!!

Congrats Billy!

It is a lot of work but as you have eluded too... it will be well worth it! good-luck.gif

A.B. CDL Driving School (CT)

Day Five:

I have CDL Permit in hand!!

Passed the General Knowledge 100% correct, passed Combination Vehicles 100%, passed Air Brakes getting the first two wrong. That was all I would have been allowed to get wrong, two, so I had to ace the remainder of the test, embarrassed.gif

So that is that, and I also went and did a required urinalysis drug test. All set to start on the range on Monday.

A.B. CDL Driving School (CT)

Day Four:

We reviewed section on Air Brakes this morning and ran through Combination Vehicles section, not too overwhelming, the review of Air Brakes was very helpful and reinforced some misunderstandings I had going in.

So we took practice tests today in preparation for our permit tests tomorrow, the actual exams at the DMV will be General Knowledge - 30 questions, Air Brakes - 10 questions and Combination Vehicles - 10 questions. The practice ones we did independently today were: 111, 50 and 50 respectively. I got 6 wrong out of 111 and 3 wrong on the combination of 100. Not too bad, I should be fine for tomorrow's tests. All my paperwork is in order, i.e.: medical form and card, S.S. card, license, form for the test and a CDL Self-certification that CT DMV requires now, not sure what that is but I did that online.

No class tomorrow due to the testing, and we are required to take drug tests (urinalysis) tomorrow as well at a local lab. I can't believe week one is just about done, next week we begin on the range, likely with pre-trip procedures but we will be outside and getting to it!!

Stoked...(I think), I'm still in "pinch me mode".

Taking A Look At Securing A Flat-Bed Load

Old School,

I love these very informative and detailed posts, and I am getting a lot of tips from you for when I get started out there.

The pier you were on is the rebuilt pier that I used to walk down to gain access to the U.S. Navy Submarine Tender "Fulton", AS-11 back in 1981-84. Thanks for the pic.

The Adventures of Daniel B.

Guy and Daniel,

I believe you, trust me, I've seen enough "messes" made by the same people that have to use these things everyday, it makes no sense and you just wonder, as you so aptly put it Guy, "sub-human". And lets not even get started on how these things get enough graffiti in them to make a sharpie go dry... good grief!

If they put as much energy into their jobs as they do making a mess or creating drawings and rude comments, imagine the progress that could be made?!!

Starting new adventure

Ernie,

I am in school now, the recruiter from J.B. Hunt was in yesterday to tell us all about their company and accounts and such. Sounds like a great company to drive for. I will be keeping them on my radar too for when I think it may be a good to time to move.

Pay attention people.....OMG

That's the same reaction most people have when they're embarrassed about something stupid they've done - they immediately look to blame others. That's why you find so much company bashing on the other trucking websites. Tons of people screw up and immediately try to save face by blaming someone else and deflecting the attention away from themselves.

Sorry I hit the submit button before typing...

Brett I guess this is tantamount to your point about me "spouting off" about the way I think WIA grant programs are run. I am sorry to you and everyone else on this forum for showing a color that looks hideous on me. When I did not for even a second take into account that I didn't do my due diligence in researching the ins and outs of this program, it wasn't going to work for me and my situation, I attacked it instead. I put it down, bashed it, blamed it entirely on the government as if they are responsible for my inability to find out all that I could find out before opening my mouth or putting my fingers on the keyboard.

I apologize for looking like a fool.

Pay attention people.....OMG