Comments By PorkChop

• PorkChop
  • Comments:

Posted:  7 years, 1 month ago

Yet another BP question… Talk about beating the proverbial dead horse!

I've been searching for days for the answer and finally realized that I should probably just ask here; the home of the answer guys.

120-139 / 80-89 = 2 year certification 140-159 / 90-99 = 1 year certification 160-179 / 100-109 = 3 month temporary certification (at doctors discretion) 180-over / 110-over = Disqualifying

Are the requirements for blood pressure medicated or unmedicated? I would like to think that they are the unmedicated readings, as your medication SHOULD bring you into a normal 120/80 range. True?

What is confusing is that you eyesight must be at least 20/40 or better correctable vision. Meaning, as long as you wear eyeglasses and/or contacts that get you into the 20/40 range, you're okay, regardless that you're as blind as a mole without them. (I didn't say bat because bats have excellent eyesight!)

So all things being equal, if my unmedicated blood pressure is, let's say 143/100, but with medication I'm at 120/80, I would be okay to go, wouldn't I? In other words, as long as I'm taking medication that gets me in the "normal" range, everything will be fine?

I've just got to let this go. My pressure keeps going up every time I think of this subject.

Crazy trainer woes.

Isn't it just possible that all (or most) of his actions are a ruse to try and get you to turn to the dark side? A sort of Company Sponsored Training Trap? Just to see if you're tripped up by the opportunity to cheat?

Sleeping Bag Recommendation

In an effort to get all my ducks in a row, I’ve been preparing my pack for school and driver training. Based on all of the information I’ve found here on TruckingTruth.com, I think that I’ve got everything that I need to take with me with the exception of a sleeping bag.

I’ve been looking to purchase one, but the choices are overwhelming, not unlike every other decision I’ve needed to make, or will need to make, during this quest to OTR.

I was wondering if any of you recent graduates or current drive training students could recommend a sleeping bag. Obviously, price is a factor, but more importantly, what type is more appropriate? Size, weight, temperature range, material, packed size, etc. What have you used? Would you recommend it?

Any guidance to my selection would be greatly appreciated!

Posted:  7 years, 1 month ago

TruckingTruth is getting a new layout

Looks nice on my 17" HP laptop running Windows 8.1 and Mozilla FireFox 29.0 @ 1600 x 900 resolution.

As mentioned by someone else, those share buttons that constantly pop-up are a bit annoying. It sure would be nice to be able to turn them off completely, especially within the CDL training materials section.

Coming to an end

Way to go Mongo!

dancing-dog.gif

"Mongo just pawn in game of life." lol

Posted:  7 years, 1 month ago

How do you keep cool without APU in places where you can't idle?

Yeah the air quality problems are all because of the tens of thousands of trucks idling in CA. It has nothing to do with the millions of cars, pickups and suv's that run there every day.

Now that JUST the kind of twisted logic the bureaucrats in California abhor. What, were you some kind of "radical" in school? How dare you question the decisions of your political overlords! That kind of thinking will be met at the border where you will be asked to return to whatever backwater state you originated in . . . sounds like a Texan to me . . . or some other LOSER southern state (they DID lose the war, you know . . . )

Jopa

shocked.pngsmile.gifrofl-3.gif

If trucking doesn't work out maybe you could work on one of the 100's of Jerry Brown campaigns.

I was thinking that "The Improv" or "Laugh Factory" may have a few slots open on open mic night. How 'bout it Jopa? You haven't started school yet, have you?rofl-3.gif

Blood Pressure

EXCELENT REPLY Starcar! thank-you.gif

That was very well put, and I couldn't agree with you more. But where health is concerned, FIND THE TIME to eat healthy and exercise. Park as far away from the diner as you can and take the long walk, or better yet, JOG! Once you get inside, don't order the Country Fried Steak with Mashed Potatoes and Gravy. Check out the salad bar! You can fill up on the stuff there and be a whole lot better off for it (and probably save a couple of bucks while you're at it). Just don't drown all the great greens in creamy dressings; use only enough to give it a little flavor. Or better yet, use the vinegar and oil types of dressings. They're much better for you and the vinegar can actually help lower your BP!

Now if I could only follow my own advice, I wouldn't be sitting here right now trying to figure out how to get MY OWN BP down before my DOT physical!wtf.gif

In the meantime, go take a pill. I think your BP went up a couple of points just typing that reply! rofl-3.gif

Posted:  7 years, 1 month ago

How do you keep cool without APU in places where you can't idle?

What fun it is to sit and sleep in a hot truck in the middle of the night. Another alternative is to buy screens that go in where the door windows are. Roll the window down and install the screens. When your ready to move out, remove the screens.

Dave

I know I'm new to all of this, but that just doesn't sound very safe to me. How do you provide for your security?

I have an idea Brett

Thank you, RedGator!

Truck full of fries catches fire at Waterville Walmart

Glad no one was hurt. I had NO IDEA that the brakes could reach that much heat to ignite french fries. Would I be wrong to assume that they were frozen, in a reefer unit?

Between the Midland driver and RedGator, we're two-thirds of the way toward a picnic-sized order of chili-cheese fries! I'm with Anchorman on this one, bring on the ketchup! We need to go for the trifecta, anybody out there hauling chili?

rofl-3.gif

I have an idea Brett

sorry.gif

The last post should've been a new post.

sorry.gif for the HiJack.

I have an idea Brett

from RedGator

… So I found a company that satisfied all of the above.

Which is… … …confused.gif

You've also mentioned a "sliding pay scale". One of the companies I'm looking at (and now, not so secretly!), Knight, advertises a .27 - .36 cpm (sliding pay scale). Could you, or anyone for that matter, please expand on how this works?

Fifth wheel sliding

So here we go. Ready? The reason the fifth wheel wouldn't slide, and where the rubber meets the road, is because there was too much weight on the fifth wheel to allow it too slide.

Remember it like this; drop, dump, flip and slide. (1) Drop your landing gear. (2) Dump the air from your air bags. (3) Flip the switch to release the pins, and (4) slide your fifth wheel. It will slide like a hot knife through soft butter.... Smooooth.

Seems like an incredibly valuable piece of information! Thanks for sharing RoadHog!

thank-you.gif

Posted:  7 years, 1 month ago

Met my mentor today and he already lied to me

You can also do a team shower . . .

wtf.gif

TEAM SHOWER?? Is that like a tag team? Or you wash my back and I'll wash yours? Talk about sexual harassment . . .

Jopa

shocked.pngsmile.gif

embarrassed.gif

Hey Jopa, I don't think those pain meds you took, have completely dissipated yet!

rofl-3.gif

Selling Trucking Truth

I'd be in for some nice polo's.

I know, I know. I just gotta be different!

Home area requirement

You said that you have a friend moving up north to Virginia. ......if ya look at our history By God Virginia is a southern state. Lol just had to through that in there. Don't be associating southern states with them there damn yankees.

Even if your geographic location is south of Virginia you say you are moving south to Virginia. Never add the north to Virginia. Thems be fightin' words youngin'. Lol. All that to defend a state that pretty much can't stand truck drivers and I live in Arkansas.

rofl-3.gif

Good one! I'll keep that in mind!

Posted:  7 years, 1 month ago

Who needs all this training? There's a BETTER WAY!

shocked.png

Oh My (insert your favorite deity here)! I don't know if any of you have seen this, but I couldn't tear my eyes away!

Watch it all the way through and see how many mistakes YOU can find. Here's the first one; Does it matter that she doesn't even know how many wheels she's driving?

I guess all you really need to get your CDL and drive the big rigs, are some really big, uhh…

BUMPERS?

rofl-3.gif

Home area requirement

Would your friend in Virginia let you establish an address at his place? Some of the experienced folks may want to chime in if it's feasible, but it should give you more job options. And yes Sedona, AZ is absolutely gourgous.

Thanks Weatherman. Yes, once he moves there, he'll let me use it, but as I mentioned, it won't be until sometime late this year. I'm hoping to get to company training within the next month or two.

Posted:  7 years, 1 month ago

Being young in the trucking industry can be a pain!

Cleave - split or sever Cleave - adhere strongly

Dust - remove dust (dusted the table) Dust - add a powered (dusted the cake with icing sugar)

Ahh, I see it now. I got stuck with dust "the noun" vs dust "the verb". I stand corrected and informed.

Home area requirement

My parents and their siblings have long since passed away, I'm not married and have no children. I have distant cousins, whom I've not seen, nor have I been in contact with for over thirty years (at this point, it's the same as not having any). I have only one person that is considered a close friend, and he is moving north to Virginia by the end of this year. So you see, I really do not have a reason to ever come back to this "threshold to Hell" (thank you Clark Griswold)!

But I do understand the companies point of view as you've described. I'll just have to figure a way to get a local address. I hear Sedona, AZ is a nice place to live…