Profile For Mike H.

Mike H.'s Info

Milford, MA

Rookie Solo Driver

5 years, 1 month ago

Mike H.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  2 months ago

The secrets to flatbed.

If you need to walk on top of the load without a safety harness,be extremely careful where you step while spreading the tarps

Posted:  2 months ago

Halvor, Hummer, Butler, etc.

I worked for Halvor from October 2018 until this past July.

Great company to work for, never had any issues.

They have a good maintenance program and any mechanical issues are repaired quickly.

I was flatbed, so I can't comment on dry van or reefer mileages or their dispatch.

Only reason I left was due to a family member's medical issue and was asked to take over driving their truck (O/O).

When the medical issue is resolved, I'll be going back to Halvor

If you have any questions, please ask

Posted:  1 year ago

Transflo ELD

Anyone else using TransFlo ELD at their company?

We have it at our company and a lot of us are having issues with it being very slow when trying to anotize and verify our daily logs.

Also this morning, it logged me and my trainer out while I was driving.

Just wondering if anyone else is having issues with it.

GOT MY CDL!!

Way to godancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif

IFTA Decal?

What about removing it like this?

Expensive...unless you know someone that has the tool.It's $300+

Posted:  1 year, 1 month ago

Anything you've been pulled over for while doing the speed limit?

What happens when they find you driving while wearing a shirt like this?

0876944001539765144.jpg

They escourt you to the nearest bowling alley.

rofl-2.gifrofl-2.gifrofl-2.gif

A Husband and Wife Trucking Journey

Even more concerning that 11% (averaged) don't know what their income is.

Maybe they started mid-year...or they're going with the "ignorance is bliss" and "hope for the best" business modelconfused.gifrofl-2.gif

Failed Air Brakes Today

When I was learning for my airbrake test,I had a hard time remembering the steps,and what to say.At my sister's suggestion.I wrote it down from memory and checked it.I corrected my mistakes,then wrote it down a few more times during the week and I was able to pass the test on my first try.

This method may or may not work for you,but it helped me tremendously.

Good luck

A Husband and Wife Trucking Journey

I found an article today on this subject. It appears there are at least some making money at it, but the average is not much higher than I have seen quoted for company drivers. Link may be slow to load.

Owner Operator article

0013956001539707918.jpg0096898001539708038.jpg0137936001539708098.jpg

The article you linked is from 2008,so 10 years.I wonder how it's changed since then,if at all?

Offset backing issues

Unk., please clarify: by "two axle truck" do you mean a straight/ box truck? If so, that's like backing a really long car, or a bus.

And "three axle truck"? A semi actually has 5 ales, and a "joint" in the middle which makes backing and maneuvering 10 times harder.

A quick hint for starting your offset in a semi: start by turning the opposite of the way you want to go and back up. Watch in the lower convex mirror to see the drive wheels "point" right into the central Vee of the landing gear, stop, then turn your steering wheel all the way over in the other direction from where you started. Then back up and let the tractor swing around to be straight with the trailer.

3 axle truck is probably a day cab,single drive tractor with a single axle trailer around 30-32 feet long.These are the same type trucks we trained and tested in at my school

Posted:  1 year, 1 month ago

Thoughts on employee companies whi hire newly licensed drivers?

TMC hires newly licensed drivers.Flatbed only,though.There may be others that I don't know about

Skills Failed

Shake it off.I passed my airbrake test,pre-trip and backing maneuvers(without using any points),but when I got out on the road,I couldn't shift the damned truck to save my life.Rescheduled the road test a week and a half later and passed(still a bit of trouble shifting,but I recovered quickly enough)

The State Trooper administering the test told me they know we're just starting out and they don't expect perfection,but they look for you to get the basics and not to panic when something doesn't go perfectly.

And remember,parallel parking is just an offset back done in a much shorter distance

Posted:  1 year, 1 month ago

School date set for November 12th.

In Massachussetts,the DMV won't let you take the written HazMat test unless you pass your CDL.You can get the background check done with you permit,though.While I was there,I also applied for my TWIC card for $125

Home sick for the last week

Glad to hear you're on the road to recovery,but let your body get back to 100% before going back to work.Follow your doctor's orders

Home sick for the last week

I'm hoping you'll check in and let us know how you're doing.

Sign On Bonus

Jamie,how are you doing with Schneider?What are you averaging per week for miles?

Differences in CPM pay

All good information guys,thanks

Differences in CPM pay

Thanks G-town,I just wanted to know what the terms meant

Differences in CPM pay

Don't worry about it. It's all about how many miles you can drive in a week. This gets better with time and experience. HHG is generally household miles.

Big Scott,I'm not worried,I just want to know what the different terminology means

Posted:  1 year, 1 month ago

What about night/weekend schooling?

I did weekends for 8 weeks and had no issues remembering anything,same with one of my classmates.A third classmate had a hard time remembering his backing maneuvers for the first hour or so,but passed them on his first try on testing day.The other 2 students...I'm not sure if doing it 6 days per week would have helped