Comments By Mike H.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/dusk.jpg avatar
  • Mike H.
  • Comments:

A Husband and Wife Trucking Journey

I found an article today on this subject. It appears there are at least some making money at it, but the average is not much higher than I have seen quoted for company drivers. Link may be slow to load.

Owner Operator article

0013956001539707918.jpg0096898001539708038.jpg0137936001539708098.jpg

The article you linked is from 2008,so 10 years.I wonder how it's changed since then,if at all?

Offset backing issues

Unk., please clarify: by "two axle truck" do you mean a straight/ box truck? If so, that's like backing a really long car, or a bus.

And "three axle truck"? A semi actually has 5 ales, and a "joint" in the middle which makes backing and maneuvering 10 times harder.

A quick hint for starting your offset in a semi: start by turning the opposite of the way you want to go and back up. Watch in the lower convex mirror to see the drive wheels "point" right into the central Vee of the landing gear, stop, then turn your steering wheel all the way over in the other direction from where you started. Then back up and let the tractor swing around to be straight with the trailer.

3 axle truck is probably a day cab,single drive tractor with a single axle trailer around 30-32 feet long.These are the same type trucks we trained and tested in at my school

Thoughts on employee companies whi hire newly licensed drivers?

TMC hires newly licensed drivers.Flatbed only,though.There may be others that I don't know about

Skills Failed

Shake it off.I passed my airbrake test,pre-trip and backing maneuvers(without using any points),but when I got out on the road,I couldn't shift the damned truck to save my life.Rescheduled the road test a week and a half later and passed(still a bit of trouble shifting,but I recovered quickly enough)

The State Trooper administering the test told me they know we're just starting out and they don't expect perfection,but they look for you to get the basics and not to panic when something doesn't go perfectly.

And remember,parallel parking is just an offset back done in a much shorter distance

School date set for November 12th.

In Massachussetts,the DMV won't let you take the written HazMat test unless you pass your CDL.You can get the background check done with you permit,though.While I was there,I also applied for my TWIC card for $125

Home sick for the last week

Glad to hear you're on the road to recovery,but let your body get back to 100% before going back to work.Follow your doctor's orders

Home sick for the last week

I'm hoping you'll check in and let us know how you're doing.

Sign On Bonus

Jamie,how are you doing with Schneider?What are you averaging per week for miles?

Differences in CPM pay

All good information guys,thanks

Differences in CPM pay

Thanks G-town,I just wanted to know what the terms meant

Differences in CPM pay

Don't worry about it. It's all about how many miles you can drive in a week. This gets better with time and experience. HHG is generally household miles.

Big Scott,I'm not worried,I just want to know what the different terminology means

What about night/weekend schooling?

I did weekends for 8 weeks and had no issues remembering anything,same with one of my classmates.A third classmate had a hard time remembering his backing maneuvers for the first hour or so,but passed them on his first try on testing day.The other 2 students...I'm not sure if doing it 6 days per week would have helped

Differences in CPM pay

What are the differences in CPM pay between practical miles,dispatch miles,and HHG(what does HHG stand for)?

For Patrick C.

Sweet...and good luck!

It was a misunderstanding, the recruiter that got my app didn't know I was working with Jamie and that it was for a pre-hire. I should have a pre-hire by end of day.

For Patrick C.

Damn...that's too bad.

If it's nothing too personal,can you let us know why?Curious

Does it actually say you were declined?

I filled out an application this morning.

Jamie(recruiter) called me a few minutes after.During our conversation,she asked how I heard about H.O.Woulding.I told her I was reading posts from one of their drivers on TT.She says"Oh,you must be talking about Patrick C.?"Said she was going to try and make some time to get on here to check it out

I had the same recruiter.

I may have been declined already though, not sure if I am reading the Driver Pulse info correctly or not.

Yes the driver pulse app said declined. I finally called and spoke with Ashley who said she would find out why and let me know. Waiting for a call now.

For Patrick C.

Does it actually say you were declined?

I filled out an application this morning.

I had the same recruiter.

For Patrick C.

I filled out an application this morning.

Manual Transmission

Time of year may have something to do with class sizes.

I'm in a weekend class as well. I started at the beginning of August with 6 people in the class. 1 dropped out after the third week. We're on our third weekend on the driving range with 3 trucks and 3 instructors. First thing in the morning,everyone does pre-trip and in-cab airbrake tests,then we split up in 2 groups of 2,on 2 trucks to practice our maneuvers,while the fifth student practices shifting on the outside of the practice range boundaries,or out on the road.Everyone is getting proficient with the backing maneuvers and we've all been on the road except for one student(difficulties with shifting) multiple times.

So,for us,it's been a great experience,however,the head instructor told us yesterday that the next weekend class after ours already has 18 people signed up,so they'll be getting a lot less one-on-one time with instructors and seat time in the trucks

Can a hauler cause this damage?

It's possibly shipping damage,but,could also be from parking into a concrete or granite curb,or the previous owner took it "off-road" intentionally or unintentionally

Schneider training is changing

Trainco is not a good school?

Todd, welcome to our forum!

You made a quantum leap there!

Trucking companies change the way they do things all the time. Schneider, and many other companies have been hiring Trainco students for a long time. The purpose of these schools is to get you to the point of being able to obtain your CDL. Anything beyond that will be learned while working with a trainer at the company which hires you. Trucking school graduates are woefully unprepared to be successful truck drivers, in fact it pretty much takes a full year of doing this job before you begin to be proficient at it. There's not a truck driving school in the country that can get you where you need to be in just a matter of a few weeks.

So... nobody here in this conversation said that Trainco was not a good school. Schneider has decided to go a different direction, just as they have done many times before. At one point they changed directions from training their own students and switched to using Trainco. Nobody assumed they did that because their own training was bad. There are a lot more reasons that go into these decisions than just deciding that a school is bad.

Hey welcome aboard, and make sure you take a look at some of the following information.

I think Todd F. is ASKING if Trainco is a bad school!

Question mark at the end of his sentence