General Knowledge

Topic 33289 | Page 1

Page 1 of 1
Justin C.'s Comment
member avatar

I passed the Combination test and failed the Air Brakes and General Knowledge tests. I have been using the High Road to study for the Air Brakes portion and am just wondering what I should study specifically for in the High Road for the General Knowledge test. I was using Trucker Country to study for the tests but after failing the General Knowledge and Air Brakes tests I found this site and am hoping it can help me pass the two that I failed. Thank you for any and all help!

Mike H.'s Comment
member avatar

Use the High Road training for all of it and do the tests until you can pass everything,then go to the DMV.You can skip the Combination section as you've already passed it.That's what I used and I passed everything on the first try.

The High Road training is better than anything else out there,imo


Dispatcher, Fleet Manager, Driver Manager

The primary person a driver communicates with at his/her company. A dispatcher can play many roles, depending on the company's structure. Dispatchers may assign freight, file requests for home time, relay messages between the driver and management, inform customer service of any delays, change appointment times, and report information to the load planners.


Department of Motor Vehicles, Bureau of Motor Vehicles

The state agency that handles everything related to your driver's licences, including testing, issuance, transfers, and revocation.

Old School's Comment
member avatar

Hey Justin, Mike is correct. There's just nothing out there better than the High Road CDL Training Program.

The CDL manual is built into the whole program. It's massive, easily keeps your attention, and recognizes where you're struggling. The algorithm built into it forces you to review the parts you need. It has helped tens of thousands get past the testing portion of pursuing their CDL.

It's recently been rebuilt and updated. There's simply nothing out there that compares to it.


Commercial Driver's License (CDL)

A CDL is required to drive any of the following vehicles:

  • Any combination of vehicles with a gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds, providing the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.
  • Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing another not in excess of 10,000 pounds.
  • Any vehicle, regardless of size, designed to transport 16 or more persons, including the driver.
  • Any vehicle required by federal regulations to be placarded while transporting hazardous materials.
James H.'s Comment
member avatar

I'd encourage you to consider doing the hazardous materials, tanker, and doubles-triples tests as well, while you're in test taking mode. Even if you think you don't want to go into that type of trucking, the more versatile you are, the more employment options you'll have. And they're needed more than you might expect.

Regular household chemicals, in large enough quantities, can require hazmat placards, and a tanker endorsement is needed for large liquid totes loaded onto a dry van. When I was pulling doubles doing LTL linehaul , I had plenty of loads that required all of my endorsements on the same trip. Except for the motorcycle one. I didn't need that until I finished my shift, and rode home.


Hazardous Materials

Explosive, flammable, poisonous or otherwise potentially dangerous cargo. Large amounts of especially hazardous cargo are required to be placarded under HAZMAT regulations


Less Than Truckload

Refers to carriers that make a lot of smaller pickups and deliveries for multiple customers as opposed to hauling one big load of freight for one customer. This type of hauling is normally done by companies with terminals scattered throughout the country where freight is sorted before being moved on to its destination.

LTL carriers include:

  • FedEx Freight
  • Con-way
  • YRC Freight
  • UPS
  • Old Dominion
  • Estes
  • Yellow-Roadway
  • ABF Freight
  • R+L Carrier


Linehaul drivers will normally run loads from terminal to terminal for LTL (Less than Truckload) companies.

LTL (Less Than Truckload) carriers will have Linehaul drivers and P&D drivers. The P&D drivers will deliver loads locally from the terminal and pick up loads returning them to the terminal. Linehaul drivers will then run truckloads from terminal to terminal.


Refers to pulling two trailers at the same time, otherwise known as "pups" or "pup trailers" because they're only about 28 feet long. However there are some states that allow doubles that are each 48 feet in length.

Dry Van:

A trailer or truck that that requires no special attention, such as refrigeration, that hauls regular palletted, boxed, or floor-loaded freight. The most common type of trailer in trucking.
Sandman J's Comment
member avatar

I agree with the above. I solely used the High Road and when I was confident in my performance, I tested, and it made it easy to pass all sections.

While you're in the studying mindset is a great time to add all endorsements. You never know what you might do in the future, so it's good to have.

Page 1 of 1

New Reply:

New! Check out our help videos for a better understanding of our forum features

Links On TruckingTruth

example: TruckingTruth Homepage

Upload New Photo
Please enter a caption of one sentence or less:

Click on any of the buttons below to insert a link to that section of TruckingTruth:

Getting Started In Trucking High Road Training Program Company-Sponsored Training Programs Apply For Company-Sponsored Training Truck Driver's Career Guide Choosing A School Choosing A Company Truck Driving Schools Truck Driving Jobs Apply For Truck Driving Jobs DOT Physical Drug Testing Items To Pack Pre-Hire Letters CDL Practice Tests Trucking Company Reviews Brett's Book Leasing A Truck Pre-Trip Inspection Learn The Logbook Rules Sleep Apnea

0 characters so far - 5,500 maximum allowed.
Submit Preview



Why Join Trucking Truth?

We have an awesome set of tools that will help you understand the trucking industry and prepare for a great start to your trucking career. Not only that, but everything we offer here at TruckingTruth is 100% free - no strings attached! Sign up now and get instant access to our member's section:
High Road Training Program Logo
  • The High Road Training Program
  • The High Road Article Series
  • The Friendliest Trucker's Forum Ever!
  • Email Updates When New Articles Are Posted

Apply For Paid CDL Training Through TruckingTruth

Did you know you can fill out one quick form here on TruckingTruth and apply to several companies at once for paid CDL training? Seriously! The application only takes one minute. You will speak with recruiters today. There is no obligation whatsoever. Learn more and apply here:

Apply For Paid CDL Training