Comments By Brian M.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/black-pete-nose.jpg avatar

Here are some pics I have taken!

Yep it looks like a frightliner alright!embarrassed.gif

Driving over allowed hours

I can understand your frustration. There's not a driver on this site that likes to here about companies not like to play outside the federal guidelines. The problem you face is because the government doesn't see it as a imminent danger your going to be hardpressed to find an agency like dot to find just cause to investigate this company without knowing who is filing the complaint.

Unfortunately most of the time it's the driver themselves that get the majority of penalties when they do get caught. Although they are responsible for their own actions it surprises me none of them haven't turned this company in yet. Please be aware this sort of behavior is the minority and most of our companies are reputable and safety minded. I've never been asked to violate my clock in order to run more miles or get to my destination. Now I do have one idea and it may or may not be affective. We have a blitz week coming up in the middle of June. This is when law enforcement increases activity to find drivers and companies that are running unsafely. If you have any local law enforcement in your area that may like a heads up on this matter maybe they would take an interest. Maybe perhaps let DOT know as well.

Scary day.

Welcome to trucking LOL. Unfortunately my luck is when I have a week start off like that it usually carries over for the rest of it. Hopefully your luck isn't as bad as mine.

As an instructor myself sometimes those days feel like another day at the office. I do have to say though my most valuable education days are on days that were just lick yours. Onward and upward

What does location have to do with getting hired by a trucking company?

Shawn finding smaller companies that have company sponsored schools are few and far between and living near a terminal isn't necessary in order for you to receive hometime.

Your first order of business should be finding out what company driving schools allow students located in your state or area ( all of which can be found on this website). Then look at that list and find decide which company offers you the best opportunities for your lifestyle and career.

All of the larger companies that offer in house training will give you hometime and most have the same 1 day hometime accrued per week policy. Some allow you only 4 days at a time some 5. Some companies are better at getting you home on time then others. Of course most of the time it's not the company but your respective dispatcher or fleet manager that drops the ball.

Your goal right now shouldn't be worrying about hometime right now. Find a company drive for a year or preferably 2 with them and as long as you've been a safe efficient driver doors will open for you in your area.

Career in truck driving commercial license A or B

Hi Gerald I would be happy to help. My name is Brian Miller and hold a class a license. I am currently a lease operator and also am a certified instructor and trainer with Prime.

My main responsibilities are to haul freight from shipper to receiver in a safe efficient manor. As a instructor my other responsibilities include training future drivers to obtain there CDL license and mentor them to one day operating there own truck.

Many of us have starting our trucking career after having white collar jobs like yourself. As many will tell you the learning curve is quite drastic and relatively quick.

Your first challenge as many can attest to is the basic knowledge of how the truck operates and the ability to maneuver a vehicle that weights 80000 pounds loaded and is about 65 feet longer. After you manage getting the basics of driving and backing only then will you start to learn about how to apply all the necessary tools to be an effective, safe, and efficient driver. Although as a banker I'm sure you have an eye for detail which will serve you well.

Gerald you've already made a great start in finding the Truckingtruth website. This forum will be a wealth of knowledge for you to make educated decisions on your career path. Good Luck

So i got a couple questions about freight lanes

Piano man your are certainly correct. I typically run either the I 40 or I 80 corridor east to west and back. Rainy has a good dispatcher who is able to keep her moving which is great. Rainy you'll have a time where it's hard to find a load and sit a little it's just nature of the beast.

Certainly depending on the time of year we do have lanes that can be sluggish. Example produce season is now upon us in California and if you happen to be in the salinas area good luck trying to get a shower at the pilot. It's busier then a one arm paper hanger. Go there during December and it's a ghost town!

Everyone knows Florida is easy to get a load to but can be a little harder to find one out of. Prime has a few good accounts there so it tends to be a bit easier for us but depending on how many drivers they have down there you can sit a bit.

I remember in January my fleet mgr sent a message that they were short around 400 loads in the NE so if you get dispatched just take it.

Prime, upgrade and fridges

Personally I think your absolutely wrong Daniel. The reason these fridges are more expensive is the mechanicals are made for the rigors of our industry. I've always have been a right tools for the right job type of person. Check the prices of the truck fridges from other vendors and you'll see the price is inline with others.

Granted they do make a profit but there installation prices are inline with others in the industry and in fact tend to be lower then truck stops and truck manufacturers.

When needing tires or having something installed when I compare prices it has always been lower or comparable with those in the industry. Also I've found that when something breaks under warranty Prime has always stepped up and replaced defect, not so when at manufacture.'

I've seen so many drivers buy regular fridges and lose entire grocery purchases. I calculate the it would only require 2 times for this to happen before you could have purchased a quality item.

Susan I also have the domestic freezer as well and would recommend it to any one. In combination with my factory fridge my co driver and I can fit a week and a half worth of grocerys on the truck.

Prime, upgrade and fridges

When you upgrade you can ask your fleet manager if they will allow you to do a payroll deduct for a refridgerator. It's up to their descretion some will some won't. If you are going into a lightweight your better off removing the passenger seat and buying a small one from Walmart since it doesn't have the space for the factory unit

Quitting otr

I think transitioning to regional is more appropriate and congrats. The lifestyle can make a family struggle. Your finding balance and it's great!

Fears on the Road

A tornado filled with angry possum! No not really but that would be scary wouldn't it. That's called a possumado my friends. Black ice, steep downgrade and anything below that's in the way. All of the answers are great though

TNT Question

I ran 12 to 12 shifts in the fall and winter and 3 to 3 in the spring and summer. Kept about the same daylight hours for both but getting the difference of traffic

Should be heading into springfield

Ok guys and gals I will be heading into Springfield at the end of the month. Most likely the 25th. Need to take my co driver to airport for hometime and I need to take care of a few things. So if anyone wants to have a bite to eat or chat while I'm there let me know. Except Rainy! (KIDDING) of course

TNT Question

When I taught TNT I made it a point to alternate weeks of night and day. Each comes with there own particular challenges that new drivers need to experience on their own.

Personally both are unique day times you usually have more stop and go traffic, avoiding 4 wheelers and such. Where nights you may have redundancy, eye strain, and fighting your eternal clock.

I would ask your trainer to perhaps Balance your shifts a little so you can experience more traffic. This is your training so it never hurts to ask.

Fuel Card Rewards

Pilot/ flying j are my favorite since I get 5 points per gallon.

Fuel Card Rewards

I choose where I want to fuel. 95% of the time I go where the QC tells me, but I've found sometimes there's cheaper fuel (with fuel tax) elsewhere. Points accumulate like wildfire on a team truck so we only use one card and split them.

Apu exemption and steer axle

Vehicle weight exemptions for APUs Remember the federal law from a few years ago that was intended to give truckers a 400-pound weight exemption for auxiliary power units? The industry hailed it as good news until we found out the law was not a "mandate." A federal law that carries no clout with the states is not much of a law if your business is hauling interstate.

Land Line published a copy of the federal language for truckers to carry in their trucks. Still, many truckers told us the states regarded it with little more than a "so what?"

The exemption, which was signed into law by President George W. Bush in August 2005 as part of the Energy Policy Act of 2005, increases a vehicle's maximum gross vehicle weight limit and axle weight limit by 400 pounds. This allows for the adding of qualified idle-reduction technology, such as an APU.

While the rule was approved, a memo out of the Federal Highway Administrations Size and Weight Division in November 2005 threw water on the good news by adding that the exemption wouldn't be treated as a federal mandate. Here's an excerpt from the FHWA memo: "We determined that (the exemption) does not pre-empt state regulations or compel the states to grant the increased weight tolerance."

Despite the lack of a mandate, more and more states are adopting the weight exemption. The following is a list of all states and their respective status on adopting the 400-pound weight exemption for APUs.

Now with the implementation of the new highway bill, MAP-21, the weight tolerance has been expanded by the feds to 550 pounds, prompting a new round of state legislation. The chart below notes the various states with exemptions, tolerances and pending legislation (designated with a footnote related to the tolerance sought).

It should be noted that states designated with asterisk do not have a state law that allows for the 400-pound weight exception. However, there are enforcement policies in place that would allow for the extra weight.

The list is compiled from information from the U.S. Department of Energy and Land Line reports on state legislation.

States

States with no exemption - California Hawaii Kentucky North Carolina Rhode Island and District of Columbia 550 pound exemptions Arkansas Colorado Connecticut Florida Maryland Minnesota Missouri New Hampshire South Carolina Tennessee Virginia and West Virginia

Apu exemption and steer axle

Since you will lose fuel weight on the steers as you travel down the road. As long as you are within that range I wouldn't get to caught up about it. They in fact discussed it on a Friday safety meeting a little while back.

Apu exemption and steer axle

Actually the APU can be added to the weight. According to Prime you are allowed to be at 12400 with APU. According to our shop supervisor the steer tires are the issue not the tractor. The tractor is actually rated 20000 at the steers. The steer tires are rated at 12000. I've run most my loads at within 12000 to 12400 without issue. Many times through weight stations and inspections no prob.

Getting started

When old school and bud speak the universe listens. First driving isn't easy, many people have misconceptions and fail to realize for many of us it's a lifestyle change. For the those us that can adjust to the nomadic lifestyle it's an adventure like none other. And for those who enjoy the security of home it could be a complete living hell.

Like any profession you'll find individuals that just can't stand their jobs, employer, family, friends, themselves, yada yada yada. Please take it with a grain of salt anytime people bad mouth their employers here. In fact after we call them out on situations 98% of the time it's their own doing.

This site has a plethora of information and a ton of knowledgable professionals to help you decide if this is for you.

Lumper fees