Profile For Shiva

Shiva's Info

IL

Experienced Driver

4 years ago

Shiva's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  1 month ago

Whats the best Company to start off with. I have no experience.

Schneider is a good company

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

What am I doing wrong?

So I'm on a 34 hour restart. Sitting here at the Swift terminal in El Paso Texas waiting on laundry to finish and I figured I'd post this. This is my 3rd consecutive weekend (I've been out here 3 weeks now) taking a 34 hour restart. Am I doing something wrong? Is there something I can do to stretch my hours out so I can get into recap? Could it actually be a good thing that I'm running hard enough to burn my 70 in 5-6 days this early in my career. Just not sure how to feel about it. I can't deliver my current load until tomorrow afternoon anyways so I would have been sitting anyways so it isn't really hurting my bottom line but I'm just curious what you all think.

Try running 10, 10, 10, 8, 8, 8, 6. I was given that advice from an experienced driver when I 1st started out and it worked out great for me.

Posted:  1 year, 11 months ago

8 people found dead in tractor trailer

Wait, you're from Illinois. Why aren't you talking about all the dead brown people in Chicago? Don't you care?

One day you may figure out that the people who stir up these feelings of outrage in you are not your friends. They want something else, whether it's money or votes or influence or something else. Meanwhile, it feels good to be superior, doesn't it? The question is, is it worth the stress and anger that goes along with it?

Having gone through that entire process, let me say that it's sad these people died, but I don't know any of them personally, so it doesn't affect me that much. These days I spend my energy on those who are closest to me.

I respect that. Normally I don't comment on stuff like that myself. But with ghetto current political, anti immigrant climate today, it effects me deeply. Especially, when you have children and they get taunted at school that they will be deported because of their heritage appalling me they are 3rd generation Americans, and never should have to hear that from anyone because of theits kind color

Posted:  1 year, 11 months ago

8 people found dead in tractor trailer

Even a freshman on the high school debate team knows that once someone starts hurling insults and names, he admits defeat. He can no longer use logic to validate his argument or refute his opponent's and resorts to such tactics.

I stated these people took a calculated risk and gave informed consent to be transported. They chose after careful consideration. You imply they could not have foreseen this outcome, despite the fact that even more people died in a similar situation in 2003. By your implication you are insulting the intelligence of the very people for whom you claim to have compassion. Hence you are calling them idiots. You did the same on the other thread when you stated the drivers were taken advantage of due to ignorance.

So who's the bigot? Me who assumes they are intelligent and make their own decision or you who wants to characterize them as unsuspecting victims?

Our servicemen police and firemen accept these calculated risks to their health and safety for the betterment of our society. Unfortunately they do not receive the amount of respect they deserve. These people did it for the betterment of their own situation and family. Taking that into consideration, perhaps we should release all the drug dealers, bank robbers, embezzlers and any other criminal whose crimes were about financial gain. People are calling for the death penalty for the driver. But wasn't he too just tying to help his family?

As for my heart....it goes out to the 8 year old girls of Swaziland who get raped by their AIDS infected teachers in the classroom because of the belief sex with a virgin will cure the disease.

My heart goes out to the girls who are held down by their mothers and grandmothers while their genitals are mutilated without anesthesia.

It goes out to the women in some countries who get stoned or set afire as punishment for being raped.

Where were you after 9/11? I spent my time off helping police and firefighters comb through the rubble to find victims and evidence.Do you really think we stopped to look at color?

Where were you after Katrina? I took a leave of absence from work to rent a U Haul to shuttle supplies all over the devastated areas.

Where is your outrage for the Haiti earthquake survivors who STIlL don't have running water or housing because elitists made their money and left?

Apparently none of that is important to you. Just "brown" people. Kinda sad you are so bigoted.

You claim you aided all these people at all these catastrophes, I don't know if you did , but you left out hurricane Sandy victims. Aren't you fron NJ? Did you go to Haiti, Houston, Florida, Puerto Rico? I am sick and tired of all bigoted people as yourself and the current president. I have put up with all this vs for my entire life, and to finally realize as a born and raised American citizen that neither I normally my kids are welcome because of people like you makes me disgusted. I support colin Kaepernick his beliefs and stance, I support DACA recipients. Our ancestors were on this continent long before Europeans were. My Grandparents were immigrants to this country and became naturalized citizens, my mother is American born citizen, I am American born, my children are American born. When Europeans came here, they were seeking a better life, hope, fleeing religious persecution. Same goes for the immigrants that come today, whether legal or illegal. The people that come to this country, are not only looking for a better life, but a chance to survive. Many people say we'll just vote the people in power out. Doesn't work that way. Not when the people fleeing don't have money or power. I viewed your comments as insensitive, and bigoted. I viewed the silence from the moderators the same or just plain scared. For 2 months I avoided this website, because I was angry, hurt and just plain disgusted with everything going on in this country right now. But aside cliche as it sounds, I found a bible based church and am learning to pray for those in need, and volunteer for things and people I never have done before. I have met wonderful people, that gives me hope for humanity and this country.

8 people found dead in tractor trailer

And using terms such as "the air conditioning unit was not working" is not giving an accurate description. Lousy journalism. Air conditioning would imply normally safe for people. This must have been a reefer..a refrigeration unit. What if it went the other way and they all froze to death?

Our press has gone to hell. Every news story is slanted. There is no unbiased journalism anymore. No one truly reports news, they give commentary and opinion.

I wonder if people would have seen it differently if there was some sort of porta pot on board and water with climate control. Had they gotten caught but all were well and given provisions would the ACLU come out and support the trucker with a "he was just trying to help.them get a better life".

Go check out the truckers in england who have to chase the illegals from hanging onto the truck and get fined even if they don't know they are there.

Ok let's not split hairs hear human smuggling is human trafficking, whether it's for prostitution or entering into the country. My point is this, no one wants to comment, why? Because it's a bunch of brown people? Where the !@&$! Is your humanity? Left it at the truck stop I guess. I can respect if the reason people don't comment is because "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all". Fine. Rainy, you've always been a know it all, opinions on everything even when you know nothing on the subject. (I was really ticked off when in 1 thread you bashed local driving, when you only knew from what you heard from other drivers, that it didn't work out for) if you were keeping off this subject till you knew more, kudos for you. If you're happy people are dead because "they shouldn't have been here in the 1st place" may god help you

Terminated from CR England

It is, Shiva, but it's not one that England will terminate you for, or even give you a company log violation for. I took a really long time to grasp how HOS works and got a number of violations from the company for just about everything except driving without time on the clock and never so much as got a phone call. I can't even imagine what the poster did to get terminated for it from England, especially while still under contract.

But G-Town hit it spot on. We could senselessly bicker back and forth about what is and what is not a violation, but without the full story from the OP, it's kinda pointless. Something happened, and my guess would be it was either extremely serious(like running a full shift without hours) or, I dunno, never actually touching the Qualcomm. But there's something going on here.

I agree. I accidentally did it for a whole week and JB HUNT called me in and explainEd to me what I was doing wrong and how to fix it

8 people found dead in tractor trailer

Should it surprise me that no one else has anything to say about human trafficking? Not even the moderators.

Terminated from CR England

It must have been something quite serious, I've never had them even call me. Frankly, I'm not even sure I believe this unless you blatantly drove while out of hours for quite a while. They have a multi-step process for dealing with log violations, will issue training on CREU, bring you in to talk to you, all of that long before termination. What did they tell you that you did?

As for not using your CDL, unless they have a clause in your contract saying you won't compete, I don't think they have a leg to stand on. Your DMV has your test scores reported so they can't just revoke those, and the CDL isn't their property. I'm also fairly sure that them disqualifying you is them breaking the contract anyway(which doesn't get rid of the debt, just ends the 'we'll cover it and forgive it after 8 months' aspect of the debt).

In any case, I can tell you right now we're missing a considerable portion of this story.

Driving when out of hours is only 1 way to violate. If you send arrival and mt calls when off duty can be a log violation etc

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

Waste Management or Mclane?

Hey everyone, I have two interviews two weeks from now with one being with WM and the other at Mclane Foodservice. I'm hoping to gather some insights from other drivers here on what they think would be the best options. They both are home daily, benefits, and have 401K. However, with Mclane I'll be working 4 days(Can be 5 if I choose to do so.) making 203 a day. I'm currently with Schneider GP atm, the pay is alright but it could be better plus I really do want a local job. I don't know what WM is offering yet but I imagine it could be slightly less than Mclane.

What are some thoughts?

Do both interviews and see what's best for you and your needs

New Article From Old School About Buying Or Leasing A Truck

He did get some loads that paid $3 or $4 a mile, but he always complained on the way out of wherever he took it that the rates were low. He had trouble learning to average the rate for the round trip, could only see the big payday on the way out.

Great point! Going into Florida pays great but coming out is horrible. Then some people will sit in FL rejecting loads to come out cause they pay low, and sit two days making no money but still have all those payments and maintenance costs.

My one trainer did learn all the freight lanes and pays. She knew to get a load to say MA that could get her a high paying lobster load out. Or take a short low paying load to out her in a good freight area.

But seriously, I know where the good freight is too, and can easily ask "hey you think you can get me to Dallas so we can try a Laredo load?"

Prime to Dallas is 500 miles. Grabbing a Laredo load can easily be 1800-3000 miles with several stops so just by asking, I could make the same as what a lease/ OK makes and get paid CPM without aggravation.

That's what many lease ops don't understand. Sometimes you have take a crappy load just to get you set up for a well paying load

New Article From Old School About Buying Or Leasing A Truck

Please check out Mark Staite on YouTube. He is a Prime Lease driver. He gives very helpful and useful advice for new and experienced drivers. He DOES NOT push leasing. He has a video where he gives his gross income for a year at Prime and then his net income. But I am not sure the "net income " is after tax numbers he gives. Anyway, he grossed around $125,000 and after expenses he wound up with $57,000. I am on pace to make more than that as a company driver for JB HUNT INTERMODAL.

How To Put Your Career Into Overdrive

I've done the similar things old school suggests. I'll give you an example. I picked up at RR DONELLY in York, PA on Saturday, with 4stops at USPS facilities . 1 in West Virginia on Monday morning 7 am, 3 in Ohio. 2 on Monday at 11 am and 2 pm on 2 ends of Cincinnati and the last stop in Columbus on Tuesday at 6 pm. On a chance, I decided to try and deliver to my first stop on Sunday afternoon. The person in charge had an hour left on his shift. He told me to wait for 2nd shift manager and most likely she would unload me a day early, but it was up to her. So I waited till she started and she gladly unloaded me. Then I went on my way to Cincinnati to deliver my next to stops on time and again I tried to deliver my last stop a day early. When I got to Columbus the manager told me that they had too stick to appointment times, but I could try and get it changed to today because they had an opening at like 7 or 8 pm. I forget, it was over a year ago. So, first I tried calling my fleet manager and was put on hold. I was looking at the bill and saw a phone number. So I hung up, called the number, told that person I needed to change the appointment to today, they did it. I walked back in, the computer showed the change in appointment and I got unloaded a full day early. My fleet manager called me back later, I told him what I did and he said " good job". So I was ready to go the next morning with a full clock.

New Article From Old School About Buying Or Leasing A Truck

I have been driving for 16 mo and I know I do not want to work for someone the rest of my life. I am a 24 yr Army Infantryman and I can motivate myself for the task. I do not need dispatch telling me " stay, sit or go." If anyone need that , then be a company driver. However, if you want to O/O, you have to be disciplined with your spending, speed/driving habits, time with love ones and veh maintenance and complaint with FMCSA. One can be a successful O/O if disciplined.

Keep telling yourself that and you may make it, or just be another sad story. Your still at the whim of a broker, having him/her find loads for you

New Article From Old School About Buying Or Leasing A Truck

Great article

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

USA Today Article: 'Rigged Part II' Is Out. It's About Trucker Exploitation At The Ports

Rainy, the issue I had with your comments is that you focused on the fact that they are immigrants, or at least a majority are. We both know that the real issue is drivers not taking responsibility for their own decisions. No one can make you do anything. No one can force you to run 2 log books, work longer then you want or force you to go on another run, when you're out of hours. I work for JB HUNT Local Intermodal, we set our ETA, to let dispatch know how much time we have left on our clock, and they figure out how far they can send us and still make it back to the yard on time and if we feel that we cannot do it, we let dispatch know and they take the load off, give us something else shorter. If there is nothing else, then we just go home. Also, if all we wanna do is 2 loads, they have no problem with that. No penalty for playing it safe. We however do get penalized for running out of hours or over hours and not telling dispatch. I only had to be rescued once, and that was because I got a flat tire 60 miles from Chicago, 3 hours left on my clock and road service couldn't get to me for a couple of hours.

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

Another common theme I hear from lease drivers is "The company doesn't want me to succeed ". How on earth does that benefit the company. They want you to succeed, because they want their payments. Taking your truck away costs them money, because they have to find a new driver.

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

Silly Question - Where would I pick up my truck - at a terminal?

Elizabeth the book is free for download on the link.

And this is a lifestyle. You said you don't want to live on the truck but do you realize we only go home 3-4 days per MONTH? I live on my truck and am saving $1500-1800 per month by not paying rent/utilities. That money is now in my 401k and I'm finally almost entirely debt free.

We tell dispatch where in the country we want to take our "home time". So if I want a couple days in FL or San Diego, or the beach somewhere, or skiing...no big deal.

Back to the parking truck..you probably won't take home the trailer, so would only need " tractor space ". CVS let me park a couple times. Takes a few cars spaces.

Living on a truck is not for everyone. Regardless of $$ saved. As OTR is not for everyone. There are many options out there. As Elizabeth has said repeatedly, she is in the process of moving in with a friend. Just my 2 cents.

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

This is going to sound nasty to some...but...

They didn't speak nor read English. But most of the article had drivers who owned clunkers and couldn't qualify to finance a Hyundai. They thought it was like a mortgage, and one borrowed against his house but lost it.

So immigrants who couldn't read or speak English figured out how to become legal to work at the ports, buy clunkers that were traded in for the new trucks, use two log books, buy and borrow against houses, get CDLs and of course, sue the companies for wrong doing.

But none of them understood the contracts because they didn't read English. None of them said "hey, I'm losing at this truck thing...so.maybe I need to try something else before I lose my house which is worth more".

Funny these poor immigrants know how to do a lot. Except take responsibility for bad decisions.

Maybe I'm a heartless North Easterner, but IMO we are all responsible for our choices. They obviously researched how to get some things they wanted done but want to play the victim when things don't work out.

And Brett's right, not much different from a lot of lease companies. Its all about the drivers ability to read the contracts, make good decisions, and learn from mistakes.

Yes, you do sound nasty. This article focused on immigrants. But many English speaking, American born citizens get themselves in the same predicament with leasing as well. My 1st trainer when I started in OTR, was such a person. Never should have been leasing a truck in the 1st place. Didn't understand business, but was very proud to call himself a business owner and then blamed everyone but himself for how poorly he was doing. Would get angry at me because my training checks were more than his settlements. He wasn't the only 1 either at this company I used to work for and no, I will not disclose the company, there are many of them out there that are the same. Pick one. There are many good companies out there, like who I work for for now, JB HUNT, if anyone was wondering.

Many English speaking Americans just do not do their research on any subject, let alone leasing a truck. The companies sell people on leasing because it makes them money if they can't get the freight. They tell people how much they'll be grossing a week, a month, a year. But don't tell them about the expenses. Many English speaking American lease drivers don't get that the payments don't stop if you need to take time off, breakdowns, tires need to be replaced, general maintenance. Heck most English speaking American lease drivers don't even do a Pretrip. So when there broke down on the side of the road they can blame the pos truck they leased from the pos company they work for.

I agree, the drivers in the article need to take responsibility for there actions and decisions, but so do all drivers. Especially the ones that lease. English speaking American born citizens as well. Because, they can at least read the contract they are signing. Understanding it is something different.

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

Another article was just released regarding this series:

Morgan Southern fires trucker who spoke about 20-hour workdays

Essentially, one of the drivers admitted he was running two logbooks and was fired for it. Naturally, if you admit you're knowingly breaking Federal Laws then you're going to be fired, it doesn't matter what company you work for.

The driver claims the company knew he was doing it, the company claims they didn't know.

What's interesting is a few things:

1) The driver uses an electronic logbook but says he used paper logs when he went over his legal hours on his electronic logs.

2) The driver claims he had no choice but to cheat because he wasn't making enough money otherwise because his lease payments were so high. And yet he had been doing this for the past 4 years. That's a long time to stick with a plan you claim wasn't working

3) This came from the article:

“Can you imagine sacrificing four years?” Flores said of the long weeks away from his wife and two sons, often for pay that dropped below minimum wage. “For all that sacrifice, I thought the truck would be mine.”

That sounds disingenuous to me. After four years in this lease agreement you didn't understand the agreement? It's a lease. You didn't buy the truck, you're renting it. Is he going to get upset after paying rent in his apartment for four years and then walking away with nothing? Did he expect to own it after four year of making payments?

Honestly, I don't think the port situation is any different than the leasing arrangements you find anywhere in the industry today. The thing you have to realize is that there is a 3% profit margin in this industry after paying the driver. People who expect to buy or lease a truck and then start raking in the dough clearly don't understand the economics of this industry. It isn't going to work that way.

In fact, you could easily wind up making far less than a company driver would, or even go into debt, making nothing at all. That holds true for any business owner in any industry. You're not an employee anymore. You're the owner. There's a monumental level of risk and responsibility involved with owning a business.

I thought the same thing, however, I remember when I was looking at the possibility of leasing a truck, some companies offered to sell you the truck for $1.00 at the end of the contract. I forget all the details, but I do remember the leasing contract being around 6 years. That's a long time to be renting the same truck.