Comments By sgtwilldog

https://www.1-87vehicles.org//images/IHC/9670_org-blk_schneider_lf_lg.jpg avatar
  • sgtwilldog
  • Comments:

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

so i have road rage

Not the "pull out a gun" type. But, and I don't know why it's bothering me all of a sudden:

I'm on my way home from CDL school in my Camaro, on a divided highway, 3-lanes, and jerk merges to highway in front of me and crosses all lanes, narrowly missing me (would have hit me if I wasn't paying attention to slow down and honk and flip him off).

Then, I'm on an off-ramp and it says 35mph, yet I am going 39. The speed of this turn is obviously set for trucks, so even though I'm way above the posted speed limit, I could have done 80 around the curve no problem... guy is tailgating and making hand motions that I'm too slow for him.

I'm not really mad now, but just reflecting. Why are these people out now? Or have they always been there and I've never noticed until now? I guess last week I would have taken the turn at about 60, but I am trying to be closer to what would simulate a truck. As a driver, how do you keep patience with others while on the road?

Thank you. :D

School has a 100% graduation rate

I'll give you guys an update on the school next month. tenterprisesinc.com

School has a 100% graduation rate

Starting 1 Aug. Hey, maybe I won't pass and they will drop to 99.9 percent graduation rate! What could go wrong?

Military retiree starting new career

Brian S.,

I'll be doing the same thing as you. I'm choosing Schneider National because of their military friendly approach, such as a higher starting pay. I'm sure you already saw this, but if not: https://schneiderjobs.com/company-drivers/military

Well I'm screwed.

I'd like to be the first one to say "you aren't telling us everything". LOL just kidding.

But, it was my understanding that companies wouldn't fire someone from a couple of mistakes in the first year. Is there no room for error?

The Hell With Schneider National Family Dollar Account!

I am leaning towards some otr first, it makes sense obviously. but I just can't imagine that they throw you to the wolves without making sure you are ready first. Dollar is quickest way to the $$. So I'm looking hard at it. Isn't the $$ why anyone is doing any of this?

The Hell With Schneider National Family Dollar Account!

Ok. So, I went to my dollar stores. Looks like you just pull up along side the store and unload. I'm sure it can be harder in most cases.

My question is, it sounds like Schneider gave you extra training for that account. I know they want you to succeed. Was it not enough training?

The Hell With Schneider National Family Dollar Account!

It may be so, and I won't argue about it sounding harder, but is a little tougher backing a good trade off for familiar routes, more pay (maybe almost double), no time lost waiting to unload, and being home weekly?

Failed Drive Test

Someone on here suggested to wear a ballcap so they can more easily tell if you turned your head. Good luck on the next one!

The Hell With Schneider National Family Dollar Account!

I'm looking at a Dollar Tree job when I start. I guess a lot of these are night driving huh? Your trainer sounds like he doesn't like to do what he is getting paid to do. I'm pretty sure as a trainee you aren't required to do unloading if you aren't getting unload pay. But, as a new guy, I don't know if I would say no. It's probably a bad first impression. I can't wait to ask for a trainer that doesn't smoke OR vape. It will probably be impossible to get.

Possible Solution to Driver Shortage?

How about ease up on this crap with personal vehicles. If sombody has an accident in their personal vehicle it shouldn't ruin their career.

If they aren't at fault, why would it ruin their career?

Possible Solution to Driver Shortage?

Time is a good filter. Let the youngins get their citations and DUIs in their own cars. Then, if they are still qualified to get a CDL after a few years of recklessness, maybe they earned a chance to try. I'd be curious on the statistics of how many are just old enough to get a CDL but no longer qualify because of a bad record.

Schneider Orientation - Charlotte, NC

Good stuff

Letter for HR...

These trainer horror stories are crazy. I feel that the trainer is being paid to perform a service for you and that you are his customer. Where is the customer service of some of these guys?

Fired by Trucking company for non accident issue.

Funny thing I noticed about TT is whenever someone posts about getting fired or quitting, others always feel like they are not getting the whole story. The driver rarely gets the benefit of the doubt. I'm not complaining about TT (I really like TT), just stating an observation.

This is what the industry needs!!!

This is the second thread I've seen where someone has something to say about a weight stereotype in trucking. Well, the other guy had tips at least, but no respect for anyone out of shape. Why do you want see a bunch of men with 6-pack abs at truck stops? Good luck leading the weight loss revolution.

Who to start with?

Hello everyone, I want to thank everyone for all the great info on here. I am finally getting ready to start CDL school after 17 years of installing alarms and an injury forced me to change careers. I have pre-hire letters from Knight, May, and Schneider, and it is difficult to sort out what is bs and what isn't from the recruiters. Does anyone have any feedback on which of these companies would be best to start off with. I know this industry is something not to take lightly and I need to make it work. Any info would be appreciated.

Here's my difficulty; I don't know where you live and what type of driving you're most interested in. That said, I drive for Schneider (over a year now) and everything they promised has been true. Here's my basic experience; I drive dry van. I get frustrated sometimes when I don't get 2,500+ miles in a week. However, I have averaged 10,000+ miles per month for the entire 15 months OTR. When you start with Schneider, you're making money pretty quickly because Orientation is only 17days long. When you start out, they usually don't send you into tough places. They let you get some experience before giving you those assignments.

While I'm always skeptical of bonus promises, I've earned the $.02/mile quarterly bonus every quarter since starting. So that's about $600/quarter extra. A nice chunk of change.

Here are the main reasons I chose Schneider; 1. Start earning quickly. 2. They're big enough that I can relocate or choose another line (e.g. tanker, intermodal, dedicated) without having to leave the company. 3. They're big enough that if they don't have freight, there's something seriously wrong. 4. I'm on an OTR schedule that gets me 5 days home time per month. I usually take this split with time off twice a month.

One of the biggest reasons I like Schneider is that we have Operating Centers (OC's) all over the country. All offer a safe parking spot (in addition to whatever is available at truck stops and rest areas), most offer showers, laundry and lounge (at no charge), maintenance facilities for express repairs to keep you moving and some have cafeterias (you pay for your meals there, but it's reasonably priced).

For me Schneider was the right choice and I don't have plans to leave. I wish you luck wherever you go and I hope this helps.

Steve L., I sent you a private msg a few weeks ago, but I don't think it worked?

Anxiety attack

That's good info. I'll have to inform the doc about that possibility. I am stress-free but I do have the acid thing sometimes.

Anxiety attack

Thanks for responses. I can't imagine being stuck in traffic and this happening while I wait for it to subside. Ill just continue as normal and hope it doesn't happen more. Since I went to the ER for it, I guess I have to inform the company at orientation that it has happened and let them decide.

Anxiety attack

Anyone have experience with one of these? I didn't even know what it was before last Friday. Chest pain was enough to call the 911. I live a stress free life and didn't even have any triggers for it to happen. All tests show a healthy me in all areas. I don't want to give up before starting but has anyone had one of these and still gone on to do trucking?