Comments By PackRat

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0269149001549643361-49813.jpg avatar
  • PackRat
  • Comments:

Posted:  2 days, 19 hours ago

Common Mistakes Rookie Truck Drivers Should Avoid - new article by Rainy (Kearsey)

Another great article, RAINY!smile.gif

I thought you were 27 though?

Posted:  2 days, 19 hours ago

Just got accepted!!

Hey my recruiter just called me and I'm good to go! I told him I'd be there Jan 7th. He paused for a moment at that, but I reminded him when we first spoke that I have to close out my business in L.A. first before I can start. He said he didn't note that but was okay with it and said he'd check in with me and I told him I'd do the same. I'm pretty excited about this opportunity and wish I could start tomorrow, but I have almost $5M in sales that I need to close out. In case you're wondering, that's $125k in my pocket by the end of the year, so I need to see it through. That'll be more than enough to get me through my first year of training and driving. Come on Jan!!!

That's great news! Keep studying until you depart for school.

All that money.......

Can I get a small loan???

rofl-2.gifrofl-2.gif

Posted:  2 days, 19 hours ago

Sleeper floor clutter?

Just try to tie down, strap, wedge, or otherwise secure the loose stuff so it doesn't cause a "surprise" when you hit some potholes, or do a hard brake.

Posted:  2 days, 19 hours ago

How To Prevent Drivers From Tailgating You

It was worse than a 20 truck convoy hauling cattle or pigs!

shocked.pngshocked.pngshocked.png

BTW, this was in Nebraska. Left that out of my post.

Posted:  2 days, 19 hours ago

Tools needed?

How big is the truck you're upgrading to?

Should I give him my list?

smile.gifshocked.png

Posted:  3 days, 2 hours ago

How To Prevent Drivers From Tailgating You

I just witnessed the perfect example! Garunteed to work 100% of the time, too.

I was traveling east on I-80 about an hour ago, west of Big Springs. I'm in the right lane, being overtaken by another truck in the hammer lane. I could see it was some type ofopen-top, dump trailer. As he passes me at a safe distance, he signals, then merges right again. It was then I encountered this solution for preventing tailgaiting.

Sticking out the top of that trailer, I noticed some legs of complete, full-bodied dead cattle on their way somewhere else.

I backed it down to 50 mph for the next eight miles to allow that smell to dissipate ahead of me.

You could not pay me $10 per mile to haul that cargo.

Posted:  3 days, 3 hours ago

Be considerate turn off your lights

I always forget my lights. I usually remember after a few minutes, but one day, I parked during daylight, closed my curtains and went right to sleep. Woke up at 10 PM and realized I left them on. Felt like a jerk.

Better to forget the lights than your brakes. rofl-3.gif

Posted:  3 days, 3 hours ago

Had my Six month evaluation this morning

6 months already? Time sure does fly by, doesn't it?

Congratulations to you.

dancing-dog.gifdancing-dog.gifdancing-dog.gif

Posted:  3 days, 7 hours ago

Community college as a means of getting my cdl?

How is your wife going to be with you going out on the road if you start this as a career?

Posted:  3 days, 8 hours ago

Be considerate turn off your lights

Agreed!

Keep in mind though, some trucks lights will come on automatically during certain functions. My 2016 IH has the headlights activated whenever I turn on the wipers, moving or with the brakes set.

Posted:  3 days, 8 hours ago

Please help! New CDL and accident of personal vehicle

Welcome to the Trucking Truth site, John L.

Just explain that accident to any perspective company just as you did here. Don't try to hide anything from your past because the big companies do extensive background investigations which may uncover it later. I don't think it may show up, since no citation/private property. Any backing accident like yours happened will be your fault for failure to yield, as the LEO told.

This should not be a major stumbling block for getting hired, as long as you don't have any other accidents on your recent record.

good-luck.gif

Posted:  3 days, 16 hours ago

Test date on the 26th. Looking like I’ll be a professional truck driver. Questions on trip planning

Many shippers/receivers also have phone numbers that will have a prompt specifically concerning directions. Companies themselves should provide the best, legal routes to get in and out of these customers. It's in their best interest to avoid fines and obstacles. When in doubt, stop, evaluate, call for help and guidance. Road signs are usually pretty awesome, too. These have been around for more than a century.

I also use a RM TND 740 GPS. Google Earth is instrumental sometimes, as well.

GPS is a good tool for in-town movements, but an Atlas is fine for movement from state to state. Sometimes that GPS will go out at inopportune times, so don't count on it to always work or even perform accurately.

Posted:  3 days, 17 hours ago

New here, making a career change.

55 is not too old to start a second career driving. I started 5 years older than that, so there are lots of jobs out here for the youngsters.

Posted:  3 days, 17 hours ago

My Truck Has Been Sold...What!?

That color has me green with envy!

Congratulations on your newest ride.

Posted:  3 days, 17 hours ago

Handicap reserved parking spaces

I qualify for one: heart transplant or rheumatoid arthritis. Take your pick.

Posted:  4 days, 18 hours ago

C.R. ENGLAND what do I really need to bring with me.

Bring a true copy or original, the one with a raised seal. Bring your SS card. Bring your license and medical card (if you have one). Bring written prescriptions from your doctor for any meds you are taking currently, or in the past year. Bring a copy of marriage license or divorce papers, if applicable.

Posted:  4 days, 18 hours ago

Heading to Swift in Menasha, WI Monday 9/23!

What status: returning new driver or student?

Congratulations of course! Make it happen this time, please!

Posted:  4 days, 18 hours ago

My return to work

Not to scare you, but keep a close eye on those bites. I've been bit by a Brown Recluse and Black Widow, both. I've seen more BW spiders in California than anywhere else.

Posted:  4 days, 23 hours ago

CDL School - Backing Troubles

The best and only fool proof way to learn backing is to practice. Every chance you get, practice, practice, practice and more practice.

All the advice in the world is only going to get you partially there...practice! And when you are not backing on your own watch others doing it.

Good luck!

This is the most factual thing about backing there is! Practice, and practice some more. Definitely watch others, too. I still watch guys back and I know people watch me, especially on the difficult spaces.

You'll never "get it" until you do it multiple times. Some people have it take years, but nobody can do it in the first month.

Posted:  4 days, 23 hours ago

Rheumatoid arthritis and CDL and other medical issues?

Welcome to the Trucking Truth site!

I have RA in both knees, but no medications prescribed.

What is your daily diet like?