Comments By PackRat

• PackRat
  • 8 years ago
  • Comments:

Previous Page Next Page

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Starting over with trucking

Hey Jayson, hope all is well. I am the lead Class A CDL Instructor, for the Yellow Driving Academy, in Denver, CO.

1) I have had many students having a past with smoking, and none of them had a "Positive" test result. In particular, I had one student who had been smoking for years, waited one month, and passed his pre-screening test before the start of his class. Of course, UA results differ from person to person, based on diet, fitness, the type of quality and quantity you go through day by day, the overall length of time you have been smoking, and other environmental/physical aspects of your personal life. Research vitamins, and other remedies, that can accelerate the timeframe required to bring your urine attributes below the minimum test concentration that acts as the threshold of being considered "Negative" for your prior smoking. Only perform a UA if you feel that you can pass it, for the reasons that the other respondents have mentioned.

2) Research the many companies that are out there, offering training for your CDL, and the methods of drug testing that they use. Do not, at this point, choose a company that utilizes hair-follicle tests!

3) Have a look at Yellow's open positions for local terminals closest to where you live (including YRC Freight, Reddaway, Holland, and New Penn). Take a look at our available positions using:

Yellow | LTL Truck Driving Jobs - https://www.myyellow.com/us/en/careers (this link provides openings including all of our sub-companies, nation wide).

Yellow's Driving Academy program lasts a total of 8 weeks, of which you get paid $17.50 per hour. If there is not an Academy close to where you live, we fly you to the nearest Academy, pay for your travel (including a two-way flight and a rental car), lodging, and issue you a per-diem card covering any and all expenses you will have for the first 4 weeks of training, while you are away from home. We also will provide a mid-training, two way flight, back to your home for the 2nd weekend. This allows you to go back home to visit family and to take care of any other responsibilities. For a more detailed look at the Yellow Academy experience, check out our training website:

Yellow | Paid CDL Training - https://www.myyellow.com/us/en/careers/driving-academy

Additionally, check out Western Express. They provide training and, specifically, OTR driving experience. Ultimately, neither Yellow nor Western Express may fulfill the position you are truly seeking, so do some research if neither company fits you. As previously mentioned by a other TT Member, a speeding ticket for 15+ over the speed limit could be a deal-killer for certain companies, however, Yellow looks past things like this (when considering to hire you) which is why we have our own Academy, training drivers to become safer drivers before you develop bad habits in a Class A CMV.

Fundamentally, the world of Trucking, in the United States, is a massive and bountiful industry, full of opportunities for every person wanting to become a professional driver. I hope this information helps you and wanted to give you a general idea of some, of the many options, available to you. Multiple companies provide similar, yet incomplete, training programs available to onboarding student drivers. Feel free to stay in touch with me, as I would be more than happy to help you out through the process of becoming a safe and confident CDL driver.

Good luck, Chad Eatherton chad.eatherton@myyellow.com Work phone: (720) 402-6290

Just read this one again.

What's Monday look like for you?

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

YRC in more trouble

December 2019 the largest truckload carrier went under-Celedon. Yellow would be the largest LTL to cease operating.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

YRC in more trouble

0512054001690511026.jpg

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Ramp parkers

Last night I got rousted out of a rest area on I81 just north of Marion, VA by a state trooper. Went on PC to a nearby truck stop.

I was parked on the left side in the rest area just before the entrance ramp back to the highway started. Thought I was OK, but still had to move.

Surprise, surprise. I guess there is no Santa in Virginia, lol.

The rest stop ramps are marked No Parking in VA, just like most of the ramps

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Happy Birthday Laura, IDMTnGal!

Happy Birthday Laura!

dancing-dog.gif dancing-dog.gif dancing-dog.gif dancing-dog.gif

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Easy or hard? Big cities.

What cities do you consider easy or hard to navigate through?

Personally, I find St Louis to be a breeze. Kansas City can get me twisted up if I’m not really careful.

My least favored three are Dallas, Boston, and Buffalo, NY.

I don't do NYC any longer, so it's not on my list.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Steering a 2023 Mack Anthem at Highway Speeds

That sounds like factory alignment. The toe is out of whack on the steers.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Ramp parkers

Guess I don't qualify as a professional driver then.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

"Okay, Let's Back Up" - The Ultimate Backing Thread

Definitely plus one for setup. The thought process of Ill fix a bad setup with maneuvering is a fail most of the time and at a minimum is risky. I dont have to be married to a bad setup.

Situations that allow only one attempt at a setup need to be well planned out ahead of time. I personally do it during my trip planning before I ever release the brakes. There is no subsitute for pre planning. Lots of street view and sat imaging recon. Especially if its somewhere Ive never been before. Ill go into it knowing the following: Route in, setup, type of back(s), waiting area, egress (exit plans) and alternative routes in and out and if possible how to come back around if I miss the setup.

I will take this advice for sure...I think calling the supplier is the key because the last dock I went to had so many danger zones (e.g. parked cars near the dock, poles, a telephone pole near the dock). I went into the situation blind. Sadly, Google Earth could not show the dock.

Call them for what? If there are poles, fences, hydrants, etc. in the way as obstacles, these will still be there along with the dock you need to get the trailer aligned with. The biggest thing is situational awareness for these places. The shipping clerk on the other end of the phone is not going to magically save some driver from a nightmare backing evolution. Training, experience, patience, and common sense will rule the day.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Talking Shop: The Just Talking Thread

There's no battling Mother Nature. When you gotta go, you must go. It happens.

Previous Page Next Page