Comments By Nate_K

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/become-truck-driver.jpg avatar
  • Nate_K
  • Comments:

Career change or no change

Only you can answer that but tell you what......

I gave up my job making $36/hr to drive truck.

Not because I will make more money (I won't) but because I hated my job and love driving.

For me it wasn't about the money, it was about being happy.

Roehl Transport's New Training Contract Is it fair?

Wow Nate, you really missed the whole point of this very good discussion. Ruminator isn't even a driver yet and he seems to have a teachable approach to all of this, while you, who have already started your career, are not even able to help in this discussion because you don't seem to understand how we are trying to help him be a success at this instead of just another statistic.

Maybe I am wrong but all I have heard is him go on and on about how Roehl is a poor company because they require a commitment. Obviously he has done ZERO research on Roehl or else he would know that it is very difficult to find any negative feedback on Roehl.

I think it is easier to point him in the direction of what he wants "a company with no commitment" than to try to convert him to embracing the commitment.

You convince him that the commitment isn't a big deal and then in 3 months if he quits he is on the hook and he is back complaining that you guys set him up.

Personally I was turned off by the commitment myself. Almost took Roehl off my short list of companies because of it. But then I thought of it like this. I gotta get my 1 year in with my first company regardless of who it is. So if Roehl offered me 95% of what I wanted why would I say no and take less elsewhere to avoid the contract? When I thought about it, the Army offered me nothing I wanted and I gave them 5 years so I guess 1 year for the things I want is a smart move.

Drop yards, headquarters, and other company facilities

In the last 10 days I have been to 2 drop yards and 3 terminals.

We get routed to terminals if they are close for fuel.

Personally I like going to terminals. Shower is clean, laundry is free, and not as crowded as truck stops.

Showers at terminals only get cleaned once or twice a day... Truckstops after every use... Think about that..

My childhood shower was in the basement on bricks with rafters exposed. When you raised your arm to clean your pit you would get a hand full of cob webs. In Iraq you had to walk down a hall of a makeshift shower tent through 3" of sand coming in and going out of the shower.

They could clean those showers once a month and they would still be cleaner than what I have experienced. ;)

I didn't say truck stop showers weren't clean, I just said the terminal had clean showers, free laundry, and are not crowded like truck stops.

Roehl Training for new driver with CDL

Sorry if anybody missed a post last night. Will be happy to explain why.

Day 10 with trainer.

We woke up and headed down to the shipper about 30 minutes away from where we slept. Arrived to see they offered over night parking. Gee thanks for sharing that info Roehl.

At least 15 trucks in line and I head inside. Imagine my surprise when she gave us a door right away.

Got loaded fairly quickly and was off to one of our yards to drop this load and then in the morning head for home.

By day 8 I am running on recap hours and I had just enough hours to get us to the drop yard. Actually had 21 minutes to spare when we pulled in the gate.

Dropped the trailer and hooked up to an empty and then we blew another brake chamber. That's 2 in 2 days. So trainer called it in and they said bring it home. We were about 30 minutes from terminal.

Since I was out of hours trainer drove us to terminal.

Once at terminal I quickly packed up my stuff and headed for home.

So I am now done with a trainer. On Monday I will test out. Not 100% sure what that consists of but will let everyone know.

Sometime before then I will get on a computer and give a recap of my experiences with a trainer on the road.

Drop yards, headquarters, and other company facilities

In the last 10 days I have been to 2 drop yards and 3 terminals.

We get routed to terminals if they are close for fuel.

Roehl Transport's New Training Contract Is it fair?

Plenty of companies don't ask for a commitment. Forget Roehl or Millis (they do) and look at England, Werner, Schneider (they don't).

Roehl Training for new driver with CDL

Day 9 with trainer.

Well today has been a very long day. Started out good but noticed air pressure kept dropping so got to the terminal for repairs.

That set us behind a few hours. I did at least get a shower so not all bad.

Dropped our load and found a place to park for the night.

Tomorrow we get loaded and drop the load at one of our drop yards. Then off days.

Roehl Transport's New Training Contract Is it fair?

The $3,150 is confusing in OP post, IF, The employer decides you don't fit in anymore, and terminate you, how could THEY expect to repaid training expenses, when they"broke the contract", sending you packing?? Bonus and advance $$ I can see that being owed back

If they let you go before you go solo you owe nothing. Once you go solo your on the hook.

Roehl is not gonna send you out solo if they don't think you can handle it.

Slow Down

This morning we had to make a delivery and arrived at the consignee.

I went inside to get the scoop and when I came back out a guy was trying to back into the dock. It wasn't the worst dock but wasn't gravy either.

Well he was struggling really bad and the next guy in line was having a fit talking on the radio telling him to get out of the way and pulling his truck up into the space just being a jerk.

So the first guy pulls out of the way to let Mr. Impatient go and then once the hot head was situated he tried again. With a little help from another driver he was in there.

Don't be afraid to slow down and regroup. If you have to let a hothead cut in front of you so be it. When you get flustered and rush accidents happen.

At this point in the morning we didn't even have a pre-plan for after we got unloaded and I ended up letting another truck go before me just because it gave me extra room to maneuver.

Cdl permit transfer

I transfered my CA permit to WI with some struggle.

Roehl Transport's New Training Contract Is it fair?

My cdl school taught me how to pass a cdl test. They didn't teach me anything about driving truck.

I have been on the road with my trainer for 9 days and have put on over 3,500 miles. Been to 7 States and have experienced things school just can't teach you. Snow, ice, rain, construction zones, hills, mountains, getting lost in Atlanta. All this has opened my eyes a lot.

I have had to do multiple blind side backs in heavy traffic docks, dealing with adjusting weights to be legal. Having to skip fuel stops because it would put me over weight. All things I never learned in cdl school.

I am not in love with having $3100 held over my head but my eyes have been opened and can see the additional "training" I have received.

Roehl Training for new driver with CDL

Day 8 with trainer.

Had about 10 hours left to drive to our destination but only 12 left on my 70. So I drove the majority today and with 2 hours left on my 70 the trainer took over.

We got about 20 minutes from destination and found a place to crash.

Talked to my FM to finish my training brief with her. We will deliver tomorrow at 8am and then wait for a route home.

Roehl Transport's New Training Contract Is it fair?

So don't go to orientation.

You have other options.

I was reluctant to sign the contract also but decided Roehl was the best fit for me of all the companies I talked too. So 75,000 miles seems fair since another company will want to see at least a year of driving anyways.

I go solo Monday and very happy with my choice.

Roehl Training for new driver with CDL

Day 7 with trainer.

Got up this morning knowing out pick up wasn't til 12:30 but convinced my trainer to go early.

Arrived at the facility and a line of 6 trucks sat in front of us and I thought I might of made a mistake coming early.

Told my trainer I was gonna head in and see what the procedure is since he never been here before.

Guy at counter took my ID and said go ahead to door 3. Got loaded 2 hours early and we're out of there in no time.

Drove as long as I could tonight since we deliver Thursday at 8am and need to make good time on this one.

I ended up talking to my fleet manager last night and she set it up for me to test out on Monday. Then Tuesday I will head out solo. Technically I am supposed to start my on days on Wednesday but offered to head out right away after testing out.

Roehl Training for new driver with CDL

Day 6 with trainer.

Well woke up late and didn't rush for anything. Didn't have to deliver until 1300 so no reason too.

Arrived at consignee at 1130 and was allowed to dock around 1200.

Got our preplan for a route back to Wisconsin with a Friday delivery. Trainer is taking his off days on Saturday so looks like this will be my last week with trainer.

We got a pick up tomorrow for 1200 in Atlanta so we parked early and will spend the night here in the ATL about 30 minutes from our pick up.

Glad to see we are headed north so I can get my own truck but not looking forward to the cold temps.

Roehl Training for new driver with CDL

So woke up this morning to ice everywhere. Wasn't sure if we would end up just staying at the truck stop all day or trying our luck.

Trainer asked what I wanted to do and I chose to drive. Gotta learn to drive in unfavorable weather too.

Well roads ended up being fine and we arrived to the truck stop without any issues. We are an hour from the drop with a 1300 delivery time.

So here we sit enjoying some football and Popeyes chicken.

Still no preplan for the next load but figure we will have it tomorrow morning sometime.

I drove the hills of Tennessee today so glad I got to experience that and learned how to navigate them without having to brake at all. Since this is a route I will likely run often I am glad it went well.

Roehl Training for new driver with CDL

So how do they do the drug testing? Hair or urinalysis? Im clean but not for a year like another company wanted

They do hair and urine

Swift, Prime, or Roehl

Yeah I lucked out being the only one in orientation also.

Glad your enjoying Roehl. I am on day 5 with my trainer and it is going good.

Roehl Training for new driver with CDL

Day 4 with trainer.

Woke up to snow in Appleton. I was really impressed with the showers at the terminal. Very clean and nice.

I drove 10 hours and over 500 miles from Appleton, WI to Sonora, KY today. Trainer did not drive. We don't have to be to Atlanta until Monday afternoon but we should make it just in time for the Packer game if weather holds up.

Rained all day today and temp is supposed to keep dropping so trainer said we might not leave the truck stop tomorrow if it don't look good.

Been curious what they are gonna give us after this drop. I know that Friday is the earliest I can be done with my trainer so hoping they keep us south so I can avoid the crappy cold temps back in Wisconsin.

Roehl Training for new driver with CDL

Day 3 with trainer.

Got to sleep in today and it was needed.

Hit the road about 7:30 and made it to out drop off about 2 hours early. Rained all day.

Got a pretrip to Atlanta so we will escape the cold snow filled Wisconsin forecast.

One thing I have noticed is that we don't seem to have enough hours to make our stops on time. Not sure if they are just giving us crazy short windows or if time is just being mismanaged. Trainer has had to drive yesterday and today because I run out of time. Now he isn't running 8-10 hours, seems to be 3-4 just to get us within range but it is still kinda puzzling to me.