Comments By Bill F.

https://i.imgur.com/ihdyubo.jpg avatar
  • Bill F.
  • Comments:

Advice

Your gonna need a clean license for a year. Your gonna need a good/true explanation for why it was suspended/expired with documentation. Different companies have different time limits on how recent your felony can be.+

Apply For Truck Driving Jobs

Use the link above and apply everywhere.

80 hour tanker class

50 gallons of water is a little over 400 pounds. Not much of a training load. We had an 6000 gallon tank half full of water at a little over 25000 pounds in our class. It would really slap you around.

Does your company want you to drive a tanker or are you just interested in getting the endorsement? Any of the big companies that run a tanker fleet will have their own training program and you would be paid to attend it as an experienced driver. I would not pay to attend a tanker program.

I didn't need anything to get the endorsement on my permit. Not sure if it will eventually transfer to my license or not. I just took the test and passed.

All you need to get the tanker endorsement is to pass the test. You don't need to attend a tanker school to do so. Some companies with tanker fleets run their own training programs. Some just require you to have X years of experience driving.

80 hour tanker class

Mcelroy truck lines agility test

0396574001540509069.jpg

Mcelroy truck lines agility test

According to the Flying Firemen (what a name for a trucker) the following link, on this website, describes the Mcelroy agility test. Info is 9 months old and does state 30 seconds on each foot. If you cannot do this and it is required I would contact Mcelroy directly and find out for sure.

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

Forum newbie full of newbie questions

You said;

" I have looked at the company and training school reviews here on TruckingTruth.com but to be honest after reading so many reviews they all begin to sound the same. And when researching online (youtube, etc.) for every good experience about any particular company there is an equally bad one."

In many ways the companies are pretty much the same. Moving freight, from the proverbial point A to point B, in the most efficient manner possible. There are only so many ways to skin that cat. As far as online reviews go, you can start and stop here. These folks know their stuff. Concerning which method for obtaining your CDL, whichever route you choose utilize the High Road CDL Training Program, and search this forum for "Texas", they have an additional study requirement from the CDL manual.

Smoking the brakes

Start from when the smoking stops and add 30 minutes.

Also, tell them to stop smoking as it will shorten their lives. Yours too, maybe...

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

A strong case for much better needed trucker security and the laxing of gun laws nationwide.

Todd... What exactly is the George Zimmerman mentality?

A mind to survive at all costs.

But Zimmerman started the fight got his back side handed to him then he had to go for his gun. So yes Zimmerman did end up having to use deadly force to protect his self in a fight he started.... there are better examples to follow.

Don't let random stories make you think that there is more going on then there really is. Ya it sucks that guy got beaten up but how does that compare to the general population statistically?

Also don't get me wrong I am a big 2nd amendment supporter, it's just I also believe that avoidance is the better way.

Six female jurors did not think he started the fight. And I'm guessing they had access to better info than you do.

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

Funny not funny. Watch the video

Quote from the article: “I’m looking back and then I see all these balls and I said ‘Holy s**t!'” said Robert Herman in an interview with KVAL."

When I look back and see balls, I say the same thing. But I am getting older also

Driver Facing Camera

It's a personal choice. I don't like them, others do.

Returning to the Rig

Any of the major carriers will hire and train you assuming you qualify and can do the job...

Paid CDL Training Programs

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

Anything you've been pulled over for while doing the speed limit?

Got pulled over in Illinois for having on a blaze orange Tshirt that perfectly matched my blaze orange seat belt.

What happens when they find you driving while wearing a shirt like this?

0876944001539765144.jpg

The point I was trying to make was the officer assumed I was not wearing a seat belt because it was camouflaged by my color matching shirt. Once he realized I was indeed wearing my seatbelt he sent me on my way.

No bowling alleys were involved in this incident. Though the officer indeed "spared" me

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

Anything you've been pulled over for while doing the speed limit?

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

DOT Physical

I did a little research and found that folks have both passed and failed DOT physicals with umbilical hernias. A lot depends on how it does or does not effect you. A note, from a personal physician, stating it will not hinder your operation of a commercial motor vehicle will help. But, you will still have to convince whoever administers your physical.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Swift or Western Express?

Don't believe everything you may read (negative reviews) on some internet forums. Both are successful trucking companies that offer many options for drivers. Swift probably offers more options, due to it's size, than Western Express. But either one are fine.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Is there an official 'Ten Commandments of Trucking Safety'?

1: Don't hit anything. 2: Don't hit anything. 3: Don't hit anything. 4: Don't hit anything. 5: Don't hit anything. 6: Don't hit anything. 7: Don't hit anything. 8: Don't hit anything. 9: Don't hit anything. 10: Don't hit anything.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

You were in my shoes once so pay it forward.

I cannot stress this enough. The high road training will prepare you for any of the testing the DMV tosses at you. It works. Believe that and the stress of testing will melt away.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

FMCSA okays allowing military personnel to skip CDL driving and knowledge tests

I am all for supporting our vets, hell I am one, but this is a mistake...

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Scheider Cascadia trucks

That was the only thing I didn't like about Schneider. Not being able to idle the trucks. Driving in the southeast is a heat the Green Bay people just could not understand. Cab cooling system was only good for about 6-8 hours, even when working properly. Just not good enough. Sitting in Mobile as a storm system came in just miserable from the heat/humidity. Every other truck in the lot idling and cool. Black truck constantly shutting off while sitting at a dock for hours at a time. Great company but I hated their no idling policy, but I understand that is their right.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Perfect Scale or Broken

When scaling your breaks should be released.

Learned it the hard way, first day solo. Rainy repeated it over & over but nerves got the best of me. Today I thought I was going to get inspected at the weigh station on I-75 south entering Florida. They left me sitting on the scale for a few minutes. But they finally gave me the green light & I let out a huge sigh of relief. I’ve only been using the gauges on my truck & company trailers. So far so good, knock on wood.

Knocking on wood will eventually lead to an overweight ticket. If you have to pay that yourself, that will be another lesson learned the hard way. Find and use a CAT scale.