Comments By CK

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0281802001543959515-83153.jpg avatar
  • CK
  • 11 months, 2 weeks ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  9 months, 2 weeks ago

Why are the CPM rates different on these two links on Prime?

It's not a conspiracy, it's just outdated information.

Reefer: .44 CPM Reefer LW: .49 CPM Flatbed: .48 CPM Tanker: .51 CPM

And I have no idea what Intermodal pays, nobody talks about it. Rainy or Turtle... any idea? I know it's not a new hire division...

Posted:  9 months, 2 weeks ago

CDL Training, denied because of employment history

The reason companies have to be strict about your employment history is actually due to National Security concerns. Basically, they need to know what you were doing for the last 3 years if no CDL, 10 years if you already have a CDL. Notarized letters from people you work for, and from people who will vouch for you and explain what you were doing during any periods of unemployment, can go a long way. Just remember, these letters cannot be from family, generally speaking. When you say you've moved around to a lot of different jobs, what exactly do you mean? Another good question to ask, because of a similar thread not too long ago, have you ever failed a drug test? That last thing is probably the number one reason people are rejected.

I would suggest you not fall into the Trap of "I'm just a number" and read this article: Why I'm More Than Just A Number At My Mega-Carrier

Prime and Wil-Trans (and Jim Palmer) are a lot more choosy with their drivers then many other companies. As far as anyone taking pity or empathizing with your unique situation, they receive hundreds of applications every day... they're going to want to see a steady employment history before they spend a lot of time and money on your training to make sure you're just not going to bail.

Prime CDL Training Salt Lake City - January 2019

At this point it's just been running through backing maneuvers over and over and over, and doing my in-cab pre-trip inspection a few times a day. I haven't been out driving in a few days, but tomorrow I'll get a good drive in using the truck I will be testing in.

I test on Monday at 11:30 a.m.

Service failure?

Yikes! I'm glad you got it fixed and I like the idea of keeping notes. Congrats on the 2 years of safety and no service failures!

Prime CDL Training Salt Lake City - January 2019

Nailed down my alley dock! I just need to run through it a few more times and run through my air brakes test and I'll be ready. Test is scheduled for Monday morning!

Posted:  9 months, 2 weeks ago

Must have had the French toast

Interesting, but I can't read it on my phone. I used to live in Menifee, and right up on the hill next to us, which used to be part of Audie Murphy's Ranch oh, there was a Pioneer grave site within an HOA community. It was very interesting, and even had wooden headstones.

Question About Prime's Application Process

For Prime, you do not need your HazMat endorsement before orientation. You can get that after you get your license.

I can only speak to the Salt Lake City location, but here you must have your permit from your home state before orientation, including air brakes and tanker endorsements.

I will be taking care of my Hazmat, TWIC, and passport when I go back to California to transfer my license.

Lying Recruiters And The Dirty Lies

embarrassed.gif

I admit I got naughty with that one.

Sorry. I had a bad day and said things I shouldnt have.

Ooooooooooh, what did I miss? Did someone get dragged off to the dungeon?

Prime CDL Training Salt Lake City - January 2019

Training continues to go very well. I figured out my alley dock and now word the air brake test properly. I'm going to be practicing those later today. I just drove around town for an hour or so, lots of turns and freeways. The instructors have confidence that I'm ready to test, so they're going to schedule me for Friday or Monday, whatever is available. The goal is a trifecta!

Prime CDL Training Salt Lake City - January 2019

I should clarify about the third roommate situation. This is the third person that I am sharing the room with since I got here, not three people in a room. They only put two people per room. However, their record keeping at the hotel, that's a Ramada issue, is so poor that they forget that they have people in rooms and try to assign rooms to people when the room is already occupied.

Prime CDL Training Salt Lake City - January 2019

There is a TSA office in SLC that does TWIC and HAZMAT fingerprinting/backgrounds. I haven't done any if that yet.

Posted:  9 months, 2 weeks ago

Is anyone currently with FFE Transport (SoCal)

Hi and welcome to the forum! I am from Fullerton, CA and found that FFE does not hire from California. Don't worry about local training and whether or not a company has a terminal in your area - as long as they hire from your area they will get you home for home time. I am with Prime and their closest terminal is in Salt Lake City. Be sure to check out the great information at these links!

High Road CDL Training ProgramPaid CDL Training ProgramsApply For Paid CDL TrainingTruck Driver's Career Guide

Truck Driving Jobs

Lying Recruiters And The Dirty Lies

To me, it sounds like you threw away the opportunity. You get exactly what you put in in this industry. I'm very curious which company you worked for.

Posted:  9 months, 3 weeks ago

Prime CDL Training Salt Lake City - January 2019

I know this has been covered a bit before but I'm still just making 100% sure. CK, did they still only ask for 5 total years of work history if youve never had a CDL job or driving job of any kind? Tearing out the closet and garage for every stub, application and any other relevant paperwork from the 2 jobs I've had since 2014.

I know Rainy has answered in the affirmative of this somewhat recently as well but I'm a "check that the door is locked and stove is off twice" kind of person.

Five years work history if you did not drive a CMV, 10 I'd you did. I had to provide W2's for each year for every job I held, and had an issue that was resolved regarding some sort of proof for time when I owned a business. I did not yet have my 2018 W2 for my last paycheck job, so I provided my final pay stub. Any time between jobs, you will need a reference for verification - not family.

Posted:  9 months, 3 weeks ago

Prime CDL Training Salt Lake City - January 2019

Day 14:

Third roommate.

Alley dock today - not nearly as bad as it looks. Also went for a drive for a few hours with an instructor and two other trainees. We each got about 40 minutes each with lots of turns and freeway time. I was told that if it had been my driving test I would have passed. We also went over in-cab inspections again. I still need to be signed off on alley dock, in-cab and driving and then I can start talking about scheduling my test. I'm hoping for mid to late this week.

Posted:  9 months, 3 weeks ago

Prime CDL Training Salt Lake City - January 2019

I am enjoying reading the progression of your training CK. I am 6 years into law enforcement and have been aspiring to be a truck driver ever since I road with a friend who is an owner op. I have been too apprehensive to make such a career change though. The main reason is pay while still training as I have bills, car payments, insurance, rent, etc. Can you explain what kind of pay you are receiving from Prime while you are in training? Any and all advice is appreciated.

Prime covers: - Transportation to orientation - Hotel (continental breakfast) - Lunch and dinner during orientation

If you end up in the local program for PSD, they will cover the hotel for that too. Beginning Friday of your first week, you will receive your first $200 paycheck advance. This is a loan that must be paid back when you start TNT training at the rate of $25/wk.

Once you start TNT training and as long as you are available for dispatch, you'll be getting paid $700 per week for $0.14 per mile, whichever is greater.

Something to keep in mind as far as car insurance goes, is that you can drastically reduce your usage and receive a rate cut - I did this and I'm saving around $100 a month between my car and motorcycle insurance.

Posted:  9 months, 3 weeks ago

What is the "Harvard" of CDL Training Programs

I can only speak to Prime's training program, it has been absolutely top-notch so far and I would recommend it to anybody. I'm currently at the Salt Lake City location and I'm learning a lot, the instructors here work with you in the goal is for everyone to get their CDL. This is a paid CDL training program, so the only out-of-pocket expense is a $100 administrative fee to reserve your spot in the class. Transportation, food and hotel is taken care of during orientation. After that, you're getting a weekly salary advance and pretty much either on a truck or in the local program until you get your license, at which point you start getting paid wemhile you train and get 30,000 miles on the road.

I came into this with only the knowledge I gained here at Trucking Truth, and have a training diary here on the Forum.

Posted:  9 months, 3 weeks ago

Prime CDL Training Salt Lake City - January 2019

That should have been "add to it for me."

Posted:  9 months, 3 weeks ago

Prime CDL Training Salt Lake City - January 2019

Just got back from driving for an hour. That was fun! The instructor said it's very rare that he will take someone out on the freeway their first time driving, but I did really well with the "newbie course" so he wanted to add our for me.

As far as flat bedders go, trainers are very limited for PSD, so you could very well end up staying local until you get your CDL and head out OTR for TNT. We only have two flat bedders in my class and they both had to remain in the local program due to lack of available flat bed PSD trainers.