Comments By GrayBeardinPA

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0508233001568244349-86306.jpg avatar

Posted:  11 months ago

American trucks

Paccar based in Washington state owns Pete, KW and DAF (Belgium). Right hand DAFs are build at leyland truck plant in UK.

I learned today that Freightliner is owned by Mercedes, so even if it is assembled here, technically it is a German truck. I wonder, which trucks (tractors) are truly American, I mean owned by American company and made in America.

Posted:  11 months, 2 weeks ago

The Best Route

Elk hunting?

Google maps southern routing:

I-80 W. Take I-84 W, I-82 W and I-90 W to WA-204 E in West Lake Stevens.

There really isn't any way to not pass through some hills. There's those pesky ROCKY MOUNTAINS that have to be crossed at some point.

Why in the heck would you want to go to Lake Stevens in a trailer in the coldest, most dreariest time of the year?

Rick

Posted:  11 months, 2 weeks ago

Getting Snow/Ice OFF Your Trailers - IT'S THE LAW (in 12 or more states)

I dunno maybe if states DoT installed roof scrappers at weight stations and rest areas this wouldn’t a wide spread problem. But that’s logical thinking.

Posted:  11 months, 3 weeks ago

Coupling in cold weather

Fwiw....Gtown drives a Cascadia now, that’s assigned to him.

Posted:  11 months, 3 weeks ago

Verifiable work history for spouse. Team Driving

For your wife, If she volunteered anywhere, had good relationships with teachers, were involved with scouts, or sports. These are good places/people to get letters from.

I just went through this for myself. I had a gap for a year. I was able to get a very good letter from my daughter’s support teacher, which satisfied Swift HR.

Hi All,

My wife and I are in our early 40s and looking to get into driving. My question is this.

I've been self employed over 10 years and file a schedule C. My wife and I file joint taxes but she hasn't worked in over 10 years...(raising kids, home school etc.) On our taxes I've always listed her as unemployed.

Can anyone give some insight on how this would be viewed by team driving companies?

Thanks

Posted:  11 months, 4 weeks ago

Starting Wilson Logistics CDL training on dec 28

Good luck! Wilson was one of the outfits I considered. Though, I choose to start at Swift in Richmond this month. Looking forward to reading your experiences.

Thanks to everyone here for all your support! I’ll be starting a training diary when I get to Springfield because those who’ve come before me on the forum have helped me immeasurably with theirs.

Also I have chosen to forego a CPM and instead wish to be compensated in dancing bananas

Posted:  1 year ago

Starting Company Sponsored Training - Is Mid to Late December an Ideal Time to Start?

My tentative start date is December 9th in Richmond with Swift. I’ve been waiting a year to get the wheels turning.

If an opportunity develops to go, I’m going and I am.

Ive thought about the holidays etc. i live 4.5 hrs away from Richmond. Swift has off Xmas day. Since school is mon-fri. Thats a three weekend. I plan to be with family then. Come back sun afternoon to swift.

Btw swift houses their students at Candlewood Suites airpot.

Bullitt's New Journey

Tentative training start date with Swift in Richmond, Va December 9th 2020. Happy Thanksgiving y’all!

Posted:  1 year ago

Does Prime keep copy of CDL?

It took 2 hours to wait to take my permit in PA. Luckily in PA, they give you buzzers. So you don’t have to stand in line. You can wait in your car. Good Luck!

Picking a school.

If your in AZ. Look into Swift and Knight are based in Phoenix.

Once you get your medical DOT and Permit. Start of school can happen in a matter of a couple weeks.

Why do you need a CB?

I follow this O/O on YouTube. This topic reminded of this...

Livestock Unsecured Trailer causes traffic hazard.

Test questions

Read, carefully, the manual. “ Wedge-type brakes may be self-adjusting or may require manual adjustment.”

The permit test is based on the information given in the state’s CDL Manual. There are parts of it that go over old tech, or rarely used information. You still might be tested on it even though, it’s not used in IRL

Hello, so I ve been reading your whole sight and really enjoy all aspects ,, I m scheduled for my permit test for tomorrow, and I am really craming to understand as much as I can without a physical reference. ( Never even been in a big rig before, But I got a bone to pick on the test questions on page 53 question 2 of "combinations"... I keep gettin bounced into the review section cause of missing an answer... the question is all statements are true EXCEPT... Wedge braks are self adjusting...and unless I pick all answers are correct im wrong ...#202... what am I missing? your info says .. "they may be " and that they really aren t even used that much if at all ... any help ?!

G-Town at Walmart DC Pottsville, PA

He left the DC @ 0700 this morning, in Jersey now.. Bummer.

I just txt’d him this post. :thumbs up:

G-Town at Walmart DC Pottsville, PA

I just txt’d him this post. :thumbs up:

Bullitt's New Journey

It’s amazing how far you have come in those months.

I’m very happy that I will finally be able to move forward.

Thank you all for the best wishes and luck.

Good luck,

And I can tell you from personal experience, after three months solo, PSD and TNT seem like a distant memory now. At Prime's Salt Lake Terminal, the training pad is right next to the truck parking lot. I was there about a week ago and I watched the student's back, messing it up, and then getting out and talking to their trainers. I chuckled a little reflecting on how that was me about 6 months ago.

Trust me. Time flies.

Rob.

Bullitt's New Journey

I did a thing today. I passed my CLP test. 😁 Finally, I can head off to training. Ill keep you updated, about when.

Nice start to the holiday season this way.

Looking for Recommendations.

Wilson runs I-5 corridor and western 11. Their terminal is right by PDX.

Knight’s terminal is in troutdale. They run I-5 also.

Posted:  1 year ago

Hi folks, from Fort Sill, Ok and good morning this Sunday!

I like the Volvo FH460 mid lift.

Posted:  1 year, 1 month ago

Friday Short Haul - Tyson's mirrorless trucks, Brake Safety Week results, 14-hour pilot program comments

Daimler in Europe runs mirror-cams on some of their Actros trucks. There are youtube reviews on them fwiw.

Posted:  1 year, 1 month ago

Walmart Truckers Score $100 Million Lost Wages Victory In Court

You did say 5 years, must be a plan.

I never write on here but instead of criticizing the drivers for Walmart and there whining, we should join them on that same demand with all the other companies. WE SHOULD ALL GET PAID FOR GUARDING THEIR FREIGHT AND MORE!!!

That's a start... we have more power if we demand together.

"WORKERS OF THE WORLD UNITE! FIGHT THE POWER!"

Every five years this comes around. The last time was about 8 months ago, so your either late, or very early.

OMG. Smells like socialism to me.