Profile For CM59

CM59's Info

Rookie Solo Driver

1 year, 2 months ago

CM59's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Truck Stops

The trainer I had won $300 in Pilot credit the first time he used them. He bought a GPS with it. I can’t see any other reason to try and would rather light my money on fire first.

If you’re in West Memphis there’s a huge casino with a massive lot for trucks behind it. Snazzy place, took all his money too but the food was great.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Western Express 3-4 weeks training sufficient?

Putting my two cents out there, though it doesn’t even equal a penny yet.

I went to a large private driving school for a month that put us through backing, road driving, etc. before being direct hired to the company I’m at.

My training with my mentor was two weeks long. Ten days and a 34 to be exact. Most of what we focused on was getting used were daily routines, the Qualcomm and macros we need to send dispatch, getting used to driving 600 miles in a day, and backing.

For me all but the backing went smooth. I had trouble at first getting used to backing versus what I learned in school. I didn’t get many chances to back in training but once I was out I picked it up quickly.

I wouldn’t say it was necessarily sink or swim, rather like people are saying there is so much to learn outside of training that as long as you feel comfortable then go for it.

There’s been several situations I go what the hell I get myself into this for, think and maneuver for a while, then say to myself I’m never doing that again!

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Newbie here, but does this pass the sniff test?

I’m 26 and have only been at this for 9 months now. My company sent me out OTR for the first three months before becoming regional. It was some of the best learning and time out I had so far. I would drive out from FL to Kansas then out to CO, Washington, Montana, Cali, etc.

Even though it was a limited time it gave me a much better opportunity to learn and build daily routines, as well as experience a variety of shippers/consignees. Regional I deal with the same places over and over.

I had much more time and leeway to learn given I ran on recap, driving 8-9 hours a day versus pushing my clock to its limit every day. When I joined on the regional route it was another learning experience getting used to that. I enjoy the hell out of it though.

Just an observation but some drivers I’ve met who went regional out the gate became jaded with it.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Thoughts on making a company change?

I ended up posting it on the front page since it’s hard to find much info about them in general.

On a side note, JB is still reaching out about their semi-local target account but it had already closed when I reached back out. Recruiter is throwing out 2700 miles @ 0.57. If that’s to be believed that’s a good opportunity as long as it fits with family time. Jury is not in on that yet though.

All the dispatchers are in that small building and they’re all great. Ate lunch with the lead in their office when I was training. They give you ownership and responsibility, work as your teammate not your boss. They’re very flexible about home time. New trucks.

Pay isn’t the best. From what I’ve seen it’s geared towards new drivers out of school but they really enjoy keeping ones around. If I don’t bother my DM she don’t bother me.

I wrote up a detailed post for the route but not sure about TMI’ing that info out.

I’m interested in hearing the positives of May’s Southeast Regional. I thought they were only doing refrigerated. And I live <1/2 mile from the Pensacola location.

Thanks.

My email address is in my bio if you want to send it. I have no desire to disclose that information to anyone. Just would like general info. If you’re not comfortable sending it, I understand.

Thanks

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Well my day is off to a rough start

I was at a small warehouse in South Florida. Looked at the fence and the dock and was like, yeah that’s not gonna fit. It took their driver working with me for 35 minutes to hook the angle just right. I felt so stupid but they were pretty cool about it.

Truck was well beyond 45 to the trailer being in dock. We are never going back there though. Banned them, ha.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Thoughts on making a company change?

Thanks.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

May Trucking Southeast Regional

Not sure if this is TMI but it would be a shame to waste so much time on this. Currently waiting on the hurricane to blow through.

Hello, I joined the forum last year to ask some questions about getting into trucking. I meant to document some of the experiences, but haven’t found the right moment to put them down. I have seen some people curious or not know much about this route so I figured I would give some information about it.

I’ve been with May for nine months, six of that on this route and joined right out of school. The route is young with maybe about 150 drivers out of 1300 for the company. They also deal with many recent graduates and retention is low. So, keep that in mind. For new grads, orientation is three days, then you will wait to be picked up that weekend. Training is two weeks or until you are ready.

This information is based on my experience at my location in Jax, FL. Results may vary. As far as I know it’s selective where it’s open and it’s not always open as the route is somewhat new. It’s possible to join right into it after joining but depends on availability. I was able to join after three months when it started to really begin.

Terminal is out of Pensacola, FL and is only for this route. Pretty small, quaint little building. You won’t be here often.

This route is on a dedicated account for GP, usually drop/hook at pickup, live unload. Pickup can be at a warehouse or mill, unload either at a customer or another warehouse/mill. Nothing like the smell of the paper mill in the morning. Ahhh. Although about one trip every week is not with them. Usually beer or beverages for me.

Mostly you will be hauling roll stock which are rolls of paper or cardboard which weigh up to 8000 each. Load weight is average 44k, truck load 77k average. Other times you haul paper towels, TP, plates. Under 20k.

Route area runs dependent on your home location, but keeps me generally 600 miles from home in Jacksonville. A regular week consists of bouncing between FL, GA, AL, MS, TN, SC, or NC. Every once in a while they may send you out further. I’ve went to Ohio and NJ so far.

Mileage has been an interesting area. Generally is about 2300 a week, but has had some major fluctuation lately. I figure it’s growing pains as a new account.

Pay is also very interesting. No experience drivers start at 0.38 cpm empty and loaded with a sliding monthly safety bonus of .03 at 8k, .04 at 9k, .05 at 10k miles. After nine months pay goes up to 0.44 cpm. Mine ended up to that @ 4 months then a half cent raise at 6 months. Weekly paychecks consist only of daily pay, starts about 120. Currently around 140 now. Then the first check whose pay period is after the last day of the month has a reconciliation for your mileage and your safety bonus.

Home every weekend for 34 hour reset. You can select if you prefer Fri/Sat or Sat/Sun. For me, I usually come home Sat afternoon or Friday night and dispatch Mon morning. It’s possible your preference isn’t able to be met some weeks, but I’ve only had it happen once where I was dispatched Sun morning. If you need certain important days during the weekend you can block it off.

Freightliner Cascadias, oldest trucks are pretty much 2019s now, with several 2022s coming online. Automatic, full collision systems, adaptive cruise, lane sensors. First three months the top speed is 59 on pedal and 61 on cruise (everyone hates you). Then 62/65. You can park the truck at a secure location of your choosing. Truck stops are not okay. If you are very close to a terminal you may have to park there.

Overall, I am very satisfied with this company. Dispatch is very friendly and give you complete ownership and decision making of the truck. Pay might not be the best but it’s a great company to learn with and there’s a lot to the company that I enjoy that keeps my sanity in check.

Side note: The health insurance is abysmal if that is important.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Thoughts on making a company change?

Haha, no I didn’t. Honestly, the more I think about the decision to move the less I like it. My company has been great and a blessing that I landed how I did. I think I’m letting the financial nerves hit me. This downswing won’t last forever and my family life is great as it is right now.

I work for May Trucking. I’m with Moe on that one. I need to be active on here. Several people gave me some great advice when I started out. Maybe I could give a review of the southeast side of May.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Thoughts on making a company change?

Hello, I posted last year about getting into trucking. I meant to follow up on the experience by now, but 9 months in now a lot is still evolving.

I wanted to ask you’re opinion on this potential move. I very greatly wanted to wait until the first year but I have been running into many issues the past few months.

I work on a dedicated southeast regional, home Sat/Sun, sometimes Friday as well. The company has been fantastic. Friendly staff, great to work with, running a 2022 Cascadia. But, at the end of the day the miles count more. At first, I was averaging 9000 miles a month @44.5+4 monthly safety which is good for me. As time and more drivers are joining the route, I have had months with 8500, 8000, and now 7000 last month.

I can say that this is coming down to very short trips, (200-400) with dropoff the next day. Preload delays and also the nondedicated loads mixed in that has me at DCs for half the day.

I have two small children so I was looking into some local jobs out of Jax, FL. I reached out to about 10 companies, most offering about the same estimate of 55k a year. Will hear from more tomorrow after the holiday. Whether or not they’ll hire me up for debate with experience, but many didn’t require one year.

JB Hunt has reached out willing to hire about their intermodal home daily, 2 days off. The yard is close to my house and the shift is overnight 6PM-4/6AM Fri and Sat off. Seems like a great schedule. No traffic, hopefully mostly drop and hook.

I’ve been researching and people seem to take home of around 800-950+ towards my region. Amount is definitely up for debate, but also able to work a 6th day. The estimate from the company is 1050 gross. Honestly even the lower range is workable, with 900 being the sweet spot. Lately I’ve been taking home less than all of that.

I don’t mind the work, I enjoy quick drop offs and turnaround but I still feel comfortable with what I’m doing now in this phase of being a new driver. I may be home only 1.5-2 days but I’m not tired when I am.

Any thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks

Posted:  1 year, 2 months ago

School options for seeking work close to Jacksonville, FL

Thank you all for the advice. I have taken into the picture everything y’all have said. Since I am still waiting to start school, I’m starting to feel the burden that would happen being away most of the month. I’m 25 with a 2 year and 2 month old, and now seems like the time to get it done. Anyone have their account of how this went?

Posted:  1 year, 2 months ago

School options for seeking work close to Jacksonville, FL

Thank you for the advice. That definitely sounds like the best choice. I know it will go fast. I have two young ones at home that I really need to make a change financially for, and the sacrifice will be worth it. The time sounds right to get it out of the way.

Live like no one else, so that later you can live and give like no one else.

Posted:  1 year, 2 months ago

School options for seeking work close to Jacksonville, FL

Hey y’all, I’ve been seeking a stable career now for a few years. And with the disruption lately knocking out the office work I was doing, I’ve came back to delivering around here in Jacksonville, FL and can’t put it down again. I’ve considered driving a truck in the past and this has confirmed it.

I am looking for regional or local work that I can be home at least 2 or 3 times a month, but I figure that might be unrealistic with no experience. Hourly jobs with delivery like Sysco are okay though. I’m currently applying to Roadmaster here and my credit isn’t great, so I’m getting the impression that this job placement process will help qualify a loan to help cover the — 7k —price tag. The recruiter said they would help with any type of work, but job placement has made it sound more OTR nationwide. Maybe got sold too much on that.

The community college offers an 8-week course for only $2500, no aid so I feel I would be in the same boat as to financing. I did apply to Cypress but didn’t hear back yet.

Of course 2.5k is waaay less than 7k, but am I missing something as to going with Roadmaster? Also, any thoughts or advice is very appreciated. Thank you!