Class A State Residency Requirements

Topic 1813 | Page 1

Page 1 of 1
Bud W.'s Comment
member avatar

What's the deal with working outside the State that issued your Class A license? Are you required to relocate or change your legal address to the state your employer is based in? And are some states better to be licensed in than others? I'd appreciate any advice I can get on this, thanks!

Brett Aquila's Comment
member avatar

Welcome aboard Bud!

You do not have to change your license based on the company you work for. You simply have to have a residency in the state your license is issued. In 15 years of driving I never once worked for a company that had a terminal in my home state. Doesn't matter a bit.

The two advantages I can think of off the top of my head for having a license in certain states is:

1) Companies hire from certain areas, and some offer a lot more opportunities than others. For instance, Florida is the most difficult state to find a trucking job because only a small number of companies run down there. There is very little freight that comes out of the state. States in the Midwest have probably the highest number of companies that hire from there.

2) Some states do not have any state income tax. Tennessee, Florida, and a few others don't have any. So that's a small advantage right there.


A facility where trucking companies operate out of, or their "home base" if you will. A lot of major companies have multiple terminals around the country which usually consist of the main office building, a drop lot for trailers, and sometimes a repair shop and wash facilities.

Dave D.'s Comment
member avatar

Just be careful you don't just up and try to set up residency in another state without doing research first, for example.. I moved from Colorado to New Hampshire, BEFORE I could test for my CDL permit I first needed to have my Plastic New Hampshire License(which can take up to 60 days here as they only have 1 place in the whole state that makes them) which I applied for AFTER I started going thru a 160hr course @ a CDL school. I needed my permit before I could move from classroom to the yard and practice backing and shifting. I begged and got the state to grant me a waiver but I don't think they will always do that. It took 53 days to get my plastic license I had it for 2 weeks and just turned it in Monday to get my Paper temporary CDL-A license oh and I cannot even test for my endorsements until I have that Plastic License in hand so another 50+ days and I start ROEHL Orientation Monday 7am sharp in Marshfield, Wisconsin. I guess the moral of the story is don't just think its as easy as filling out a piece of paper and changing states. If your going to change residency I'd call the state Licensing division and get all the info before your standing at the DMV counter wondering why they make things so difficult like I did.


Commercial Driver's License (CDL)

A CDL is required to drive any of the following vehicles:

  • Any combination of vehicles with a gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds, providing the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.
  • Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing another not in excess of 10,000 pounds.
  • Any vehicle, regardless of size, designed to transport 16 or more persons, including the driver.
  • Any vehicle required by federal regulations to be placarded while transporting hazardous materials.


Dispatcher, Fleet Manager, Driver Manager

The primary person a driver communicates with at his/her company. A dispatcher can play many roles, depending on the company's structure. Dispatchers may assign freight, file requests for home time, relay messages between the driver and management, inform customer service of any delays, change appointment times, and report information to the load planners.


Department of Motor Vehicles, Bureau of Motor Vehicles

The state agency that handles everything related to your driver's licences, including testing, issuance, transfers, and revocation.

Page 1 of 1

New Reply:

New! Check out our help videos for a better understanding of our forum features

Links On TruckingTruth

example: TruckingTruth Homepage

Upload New Photo
Please enter a caption of one sentence or less:

Click on any of the buttons below to insert a link to that section of TruckingTruth:

Getting Started In Trucking High Road Training Program Company-Sponsored Training Programs Apply For Company-Sponsored Training Truck Driver's Career Guide Choosing A School Choosing A Company Truck Driving Schools Truck Driving Jobs Apply For Truck Driving Jobs DOT Physical Drug Testing Items To Pack Pre-Hire Letters CDL Practice Tests Trucking Company Reviews Brett's Book Leasing A Truck Pre-Trip Inspection Learn The Logbook Rules Sleep Apnea

0 characters so far - 5,500 maximum allowed.
Submit Preview



Why Join Trucking Truth?

We have an awesome set of tools that will help you understand the trucking industry and prepare for a great start to your trucking career. Not only that, but everything we offer here at TruckingTruth is 100% free - no strings attached! Sign up now and get instant access to our member's section:
High Road Training Program Logo
  • The High Road Training Program
  • The High Road Article Series
  • The Friendliest Trucker's Forum Ever!
  • Email Updates When New Articles Are Posted

Apply For Paid CDL Training Through TruckingTruth

Did you know you can fill out one quick form here on TruckingTruth and apply to several companies at once for paid CDL training? Seriously! The application only takes one minute. You will speak with recruiters today. There is no obligation whatsoever. Learn more and apply here:

Apply For Paid CDL Training