Comments By Ken C.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0216001001526824921-10240.jpg avatar
  • Ken C.
  • Comments:

Helping my husband choose between Prime and Knight

"Roll Tide" I really love saying that but now on to the point...both are good places to start so really it all depends on what fits you best. I went with Prime Inc. because I wanted more training and higher training pay plus I like their equipment and divisions.

Prime , Pam or CRST for finishing CDL school

All I can say is Prime Inc...I went through their training program in April 2014 and am still with the Company. Best pay for a rookie, highest training pay while your in the TNT phase plus some of the best equipment to learn with, not too mention Daniel B. is almost always available to field a question or two...

Specific Questions for Prime Drivers

Most of the Lightweights are Freightliner Casscadia's 48" sleeper or International Prostars with a 56" sleeper...I had a Purple Freightliner LW when I first started out and it almost had enough room...I had a 28" TV mounted to the wall, a 2.7 cubic ft fridge and microwave strapped into the passenger seat area plus a 3 drawer cabinet thingy from Walmart so there is plenty of room for everything except to move around. Above the bed there is a upper cabinet which has 2 doors and a center pocket for storage plus the under bunk area is pretty much the same size as my condo's.. Daniel posted a series of pic's when he had a LW truck...It was a Pinkle, maybe he will post the link for you....;)

Welcome to Prime

Ken C.

Which kind of trailer do you prefer?

I gotta say Reefer or Dry Van are about the easiest for a newbie but at Prime almost 1/3rd go Flatbed...they think they will get a workout and stay in shape by tarping but all of us reefer drivers know they just get hot, wet & sweaty plus a little stinky throwing those tarps around but it's all good. I'm going to switch to Tanker after this Winter is over and then maybe try Flatbed in the Fall...Right now I PSD/TNT Train newbies running Reefer at Prime and enjoy it because there is usually plenty of work for us...The appointment Hrs can be a little annoying and the noise of the Reefer Beasts can be hard to adjust to in the beginning but soon you'll sleep like a baby even with the reefer running so it's really up to you and what you want to do in the Industry

FRIDGES

Hi...Like Sue said depends on where you plan on putting it....!! I have 2 fridges in my Truck right now, a built in one in the Cabinet of my Freightliner plus a 2.7 cft strapped in behind the drivers seat...At Prime they will take out the passenger seat and mount a plate you can attach your fridge to..I think up a 3.3 cft is allowed just as long as it doesn't block your window/mirror view

Best State to live for Truckers

To date I've checked out Texas, Tennessee, Nevada and thought about Arizona plus New Mexico. I've been out since Nov 4th without any home time just 34's and the other stuff in Springfield and still Love the Lifestyle and the job most of the time...Will post more updates later

Ken C.

Move to California. We could be neighbors. We could be two old men grilling steaks out on the front lawn and recalling our grand adventures from our old trucking days whIle our wives go shopping.

HAHAHAHA Ok sounds like a good plan

Best State to live for Truckers

My Prime PSD experience

Congrats...Prime is a great place to start your Trucking Career

Trying To Get On With Prime

Must be something on your record or app,that they dont like. They didnt call me back either. I laugh every time I pass their SLOW trucks, Trucking simulator...what a joke. Move on.

Guess what we get to see all you hot shot speedy drivers rolled over in the ditches or with the Blue Lights flashing behind them...58-65 MPH is more than fast enough to get the job done, safely

Ken C.

At the Campus Inn...Where are all the Trucking Truth People...:)

Hey we need our own little meeting section so we can meet up...I have a White Freightliner

Ken C.

Who's going to be In Springfield (PRIME) 2nd week of Sept.....?

Ken,

PM me your number. I'd like to talk with you tomorrow.

Sent you a PM with my Cell

Coming Soon To Prime: 9/7/15

Hey When you get here if you see my Truck stop by and say Hello I'll buy you a free cup of Coffee or Tea...:) It's a White Freightliner 651485

Steep Downgrades? - Prime Inc TNT

I appreciate the advice guys. I'm going to voice my concerns with my trainer, give it a week or so and see what happens. If nothing changes then I will give my FM a call.

Depending on the load weight, the grade and weather I say go down only as fast as you feel safe and can control the truck...With Jakes on High, Stab as needed..!

Ken C.

Who's going to be In Springfield (PRIME) 2nd week of Sept.....?

I'll be heading back towards Springfield Labor Day Weekend dropping off my TNT Student for his upgrade and would like to meet some of you guys & gals if anybody is interested My Tractor is 651485 send me a PM

Ken C.

Do you train PSD as well or just TNT?

Regardless, I'd like to meet you. Post where you tractor is parked in the lot and I'll come find ya Saturday afternoon.

I do both...I'll post again once I get into town

I'll be in Springmo come Monday to start orientation. I would love to say hi to some TT folks.
I will be there for a sleep study

I'll look for ya'll at the Campus Inn

Ken C

Floating Gears vs Double Clutching

I clutch out of gear and float into the next one when (Solo) and always double clutch whenever I have a Student on board.

Ken C.

Who's going to be In Springfield (PRIME) 2nd week of Sept.....?

Seat belt Hurts Me

Use the latch that sir Errol is talking about. It's called Komfort Latch and should fix your problem. I too feel like the belt is squeezing me after a few bumps.

Squeezing what...your all Skin and Bone

Ken C.

That nagging question: Can I make more money at trucking as as owner operator?

I look forward to helping in anyway by providing current numbers both good bad and ugly...I'll never recommend Leasing or going Owner Op without a full disclosure of the good bad and truly ugly

Ken C.

Prime trucking: good or bad

My question is with all the trucking companies out there is prime a good one or a bad one. You hear alot of yes and nos but lets be truthful is prime good or bad. i would like some good and bad feedback THANKS TO ALL FELLOW DRIVERS

I think Prime is about as good as it gets for a Training Company, they have great equipment, good pay and lots of miles plus take longer to upgrade you into your own Truck so you have a better chance for success in the 1st year...I went through Primes PSD and TNT training and now am a Trainer/Instructor myself...I have no plans to leave the Company

Ken C.

That nagging question: Can I make more money at trucking as as owner operator?

Guys if you truly want Honest Info on the Leasing Side of Trucking start a section for it on Trucking Truth and lets see who all responds...I've been on both sides at Prime and would be willing to join in just not on the Main Board... Newbies don't need the temptations or distractions of the leasing issue...