Comments By Deb R.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0134083001556301188-8138.jpg avatar
  • Deb R.
  • Comments:

Most congested city you've hauled freight to or from.

I agree with 6 string, congestion is congestion. I find parking near Atlanta to be very challenging. LA can be boring because of the walls lining the roads, there is nothing to see. If stuck in Chicago traffic, at least there is tons to look at! I really dislike Vegas at night because the lights are blinding and the other drivers are either distracted or aggressive.

Menards

Patrick, I love those Menards deliveries! Being a Wisconsin gal who's done lots of home reno, I am very familiar with their stores. You can go shopping while getting unloaded; did you know they have a grocery section? Also, one of my favorite spots to spend the night, line up at the guard shack to be the first one in the morning. Super quiet and clean, just be sure to use the bathroom before the store closes!

Passing the Time

You could likely find a spare 6 hours a week, especially if you run recaps, but it likely will be in bits and pieces. I find it rare to get a big enough chunk of extra time to do anything that requires preparation/concentration (like getting tax papers organized, for example). But that's how I do things, you may be able to do a bit of that computer work, stop, then pick up again later.

Unidentified beeping sound inside cab

Does your truck have an auto greaser? The alarm on that comes from the center area of the dash. Scared the whooy out of me first time it went off.

A True Story About The Consequences of Refusing Loads

I have refused loads only twice: once because my recap hours would not have been enough to cover the trip, second because I had a vacation planned, my truck was acting up, and I wanted to stick closer to home so as not to miss my flight in case of breakdown. Other than that, I just go where I am told. If it's a new area, I figure in a little extra time since I don 't know the roads or where to stop for breaks, and I prefer not going someplace new in the dark if I can help it. The rest is all adventure to me. I have not been northeast much, some New York State, once to Philly shipyards, and those were fine. Other places I have been to that had been played up as sooooo bad, turned out to be no big deal.

Drive solo

Yeah, Steve, I really liked sleeping in a moving truck also. It just seemed so cozy to me. HOWEVER, I did not enjoy sharing the tiny living space, and was very happy to get my own truck!

Lazy truckers at truckstop

I just go for an easy spot. I will park way in back if it means I don't have anyone next to me. I avoid truckstops as much as possible, they feel like an accident waiting to happen.

Terrible news about a truck blown off of the Ches. Bay Bridge Tunnel

Slightly off topic, but the one bridge I am looking forward for a chance to cross one day in a tractor trailer is the Mackinac Bridge.

Wolding has sent me over the Mac bridge twice; Patrick, let your dispatcher know you'd like one of those loads.

The whole windy bridge thing can be kinda scary. I will go into the "upwind" lane, even if it's not the "correct" lane until I am off a bridge.

Basic Trucker's Toolkit - What Should I Bring On The Road?

Items I have found essential include a 2 lb. hammer (looks like a little sledge hammer), a flat pry bar for pulling nails, screwdriver with interchangeable heads flat, Phillips, and star, a needle nose pliers, vice grips for stuck tandems and pulling nails, ratchet set, leather gloves, lined diesel-proof gloves for fueling, gorilla tape, earplugs. My advice is not to go for cheap generic versions of tools like screwdrivers and vice grips, you need quality that will hold up when you need it. I can get just about everything I need, for good prices, at Farm and Fleet.

E-Log help

Companies will have certain ways they want things logged. For instance, if we are stuck in traffic, my company does NOT want us to switch over to off duty. They say if you are in the truck on a public road, you are ON DUTY. I've been scolded for that one.

For Your Viewing Pleasure - A Picture Of A Beautiful Tractor Trailer With A Huge Extended Sleeper

Good luck with that handsome flatbedder, Rainy. Much more likely to see a fat dude losing his pants.

Snow on the trailer?

Our safety department wants us to call them if we have snow buildup on top of a trailer, and they will figure out what we should do with it. I have yet to see one of these elusive "snow scrapers" anywhere.

I bought myself a Christmas Present

Our shop guy claims the Dometics are the best, most durable fridges for a truck.

Hard to load out of greenbay?

I haul a lot of paper products out of Appleton and Neenah after delivering to Green Bay.

I might be done with truck driving

Even if someone is spotting me, I still GOAL because I need to understand what is going on with the trailer, and ultimately, if I hit something, it would be my responsibility.

Anyone know what CR England hauls?

Even if you're not hauling meat, you WILL encounter stock trucks. Seeing those poor animals stuffed in there has changed my eating habits.

From Teaching to Trucking - My Journey So Far

Sounds like you are on the road with someone who has no business being a trainer. Can you respectfully request the company put you with someone else? The company is paying this driver to teach you the ropes and you are certainly not getting that. It is especially important to be doing as much of the backing as possible, how can you learn if the trainer does it all? I was out for 4 weeks with two different trainers, both were good, yet, I was more than ready to be done with it. You have a great deal of fortitude to be sticking it out under these crummy conditions. IT WILL GET BETTER. Once you are on your own, there will be many new challenges, but at least you are in control of more variables (like showers and food).

Decisions decisions... to drive or not to drive

OMG.

Decisions decisions... to drive or not to drive

Spend some quality time with your kitty!

MN Trooper Dash Cam Alleged Drunk Trucker

I was thinking the same thing; amazing how civil and professional that officer was. The patience he displayed was remarkable.