Comments By Deb R.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0134083001556301188-8138.jpg avatar
  • Deb R.
  • Comments:

Home Time Housing

My two cents - home ownership and OTR is not such a great combo if no one else is at the house to take care of things. Whenever you are home, your "break" will be filled with home maintenance projects, and you will never keep up. While you are gone, the mice will move in and think the place belongs to them. If you totally enjoy home projects, it's fine, but they can completely eat up your reset.

Back pain and coffee pots

Best thing to do for your back is to keep your core muscles strong - i.e. situps for lower back, and get out of the truck, walk around and stretch.

Coffee! The stuff of life! A good cup of coffee is priority for me, therefore, the truck stop stuff = yuck. Also, I am often at a customer or rest area where the only option is to make my own. I have an inverter. I use a small, single serving size drip coffee maker. No pot, it goes directly into my mug. Uses size #2 (the little ones) filter. Put a scoop of good ground coffee in, a cup of water, and my mug gets filled up with awesomeness. Cheaper to use than the Keurig-type and I don't have to get special pods. The used grounds are no big deal, I just throw the little filter with the grounds into my trash bag. It helps to have a napkin handy to catch drips. My coffee maker has a mesh filter that TECHNICALLY means you don't have to use a paper filter, but I tried that once, and dealing with the used grounds was a mess. Use a paper filter! As for water, I always have multiple gallons on board. I am a little phobic about running out of water. I buy gallon jugs, and keep refilling them until the plastic gets brittle, then replace. You can fill up jugs at many rest areas.

Where to get a Mini refrigerator?

I have the same set-up that Turtle does, only with a ratchet strap circling the fridge and the bunk to keep it from moving around. I can hear the compressor getting knocked around as I am driving, always hoping that it's not too much. Had it for 9 months so far, much better than the 12volt mini fridge I had from Loves, this keeps things cool enough when I am out for multiple weeks, and having a freezer is awesome. I have found, however, that as the weather gets warmer, it's pretty darn hot "upstairs" and the fridge has to work harder. I plan to come up with a way to direct the AC vent air onto the back of the fridge.

N00b Questions You (Probably) Have But Were Afraid To Ask!

Regarding locking differentials, G-Town says:

I also use it when dropping a load at any Walmart with a pitched dock ramp (down towards the bay doors). Otherwise when spanning the crest of the "hump", after dropping the trailer, might be spinning your wheels.

Well, that enlightens me about the docks at Menards. I wondered why I could not escape their force field; I engaged the Diff Lock and drove right out of that hole but did not know why it happened.

Also,

Always, always, always turn this "on" or "off" only when completely stopped.

Why?

Game - Trailer finds

Load straps and trash. Not too exciting.

Best companies for home time

I can second Patrick's suggestion to look into H.O.Wolding. They are extremely accommodating about hometime. But, as others have mentioned, of course, if you are at home, you're not making any money.

Most congested city you've hauled freight to or from.

I agree with 6 string, congestion is congestion. I find parking near Atlanta to be very challenging. LA can be boring because of the walls lining the roads, there is nothing to see. If stuck in Chicago traffic, at least there is tons to look at! I really dislike Vegas at night because the lights are blinding and the other drivers are either distracted or aggressive.

Menards

Patrick, I love those Menards deliveries! Being a Wisconsin gal who's done lots of home reno, I am very familiar with their stores. You can go shopping while getting unloaded; did you know they have a grocery section? Also, one of my favorite spots to spend the night, line up at the guard shack to be the first one in the morning. Super quiet and clean, just be sure to use the bathroom before the store closes!

Posted:  4 years ago

Passing the Time

You could likely find a spare 6 hours a week, especially if you run recaps, but it likely will be in bits and pieces. I find it rare to get a big enough chunk of extra time to do anything that requires preparation/concentration (like getting tax papers organized, for example). But that's how I do things, you may be able to do a bit of that computer work, stop, then pick up again later.

Posted:  4 years ago

Unidentified beeping sound inside cab

Does your truck have an auto greaser? The alarm on that comes from the center area of the dash. Scared the whooy out of me first time it went off.

Posted:  4 years ago

A True Story About The Consequences of Refusing Loads

I have refused loads only twice: once because my recap hours would not have been enough to cover the trip, second because I had a vacation planned, my truck was acting up, and I wanted to stick closer to home so as not to miss my flight in case of breakdown. Other than that, I just go where I am told. If it's a new area, I figure in a little extra time since I don 't know the roads or where to stop for breaks, and I prefer not going someplace new in the dark if I can help it. The rest is all adventure to me. I have not been northeast much, some New York State, once to Philly shipyards, and those were fine. Other places I have been to that had been played up as sooooo bad, turned out to be no big deal.

Posted:  4 years ago

Drive solo

Yeah, Steve, I really liked sleeping in a moving truck also. It just seemed so cozy to me. HOWEVER, I did not enjoy sharing the tiny living space, and was very happy to get my own truck!

Posted:  4 years ago

Lazy truckers at truckstop

I just go for an easy spot. I will park way in back if it means I don't have anyone next to me. I avoid truckstops as much as possible, they feel like an accident waiting to happen.

Posted:  4 years ago

Terrible news about a truck blown off of the Ches. Bay Bridge Tunnel

Slightly off topic, but the one bridge I am looking forward for a chance to cross one day in a tractor trailer is the Mackinac Bridge.

Wolding has sent me over the Mac bridge twice; Patrick, let your dispatcher know you'd like one of those loads.

The whole windy bridge thing can be kinda scary. I will go into the "upwind" lane, even if it's not the "correct" lane until I am off a bridge.

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Basic Trucker's Toolkit - What Should I Bring On The Road?

Items I have found essential include a 2 lb. hammer (looks like a little sledge hammer), a flat pry bar for pulling nails, screwdriver with interchangeable heads flat, Phillips, and star, a needle nose pliers, vice grips for stuck tandems and pulling nails, ratchet set, leather gloves, lined diesel-proof gloves for fueling, gorilla tape, earplugs. My advice is not to go for cheap generic versions of tools like screwdrivers and vice grips, you need quality that will hold up when you need it. I can get just about everything I need, for good prices, at Farm and Fleet.

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

E-Log help

Companies will have certain ways they want things logged. For instance, if we are stuck in traffic, my company does NOT want us to switch over to off duty. They say if you are in the truck on a public road, you are ON DUTY. I've been scolded for that one.

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

For Your Viewing Pleasure - A Picture Of A Beautiful Tractor Trailer With A Huge Extended Sleeper

Good luck with that handsome flatbedder, Rainy. Much more likely to see a fat dude losing his pants.

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Snow on the trailer?

Our safety department wants us to call them if we have snow buildup on top of a trailer, and they will figure out what we should do with it. I have yet to see one of these elusive "snow scrapers" anywhere.

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

I bought myself a Christmas Present

Our shop guy claims the Dometics are the best, most durable fridges for a truck.

Hard to load out of greenbay?

I haul a lot of paper products out of Appleton and Neenah after delivering to Green Bay.