Companies That Do NOT Require You Go Into Other Countries?

Topic 1402 | Page 1

Page 1 of 1
Joseph B.'s Comment
member avatar

Hi everyone, I wanted to know of companies that don't require you obtain a US passport. I owe a good deal of back child support, and even though I am now paying on the arrears, if you owe more than $2500 in back child support you are not eligible to obtain a passport. I have wanted to get into the trucking industry since I was a little kid and hope that this isn't something that will kill my new career before it even gets started.

Fuddruckers's Comment
member avatar

If your are not eligible for a passport I fail to see how they can force you to deliver to another country, and not every company goes internationally, it will be one less thing going for you on your resume, but it will by no means stop your career.

Daniel B.'s Comment
member avatar

Some companies require you to. But most dont. If they do its usually some kind of dedicated fleet. You can easily work for a company that does Canada but never actually go into Canada yourself. I work for Central ref. and we never go into Canada. When you talk to a recruiter, be sure to ask them. But this shouldn't be a big deal.

Old School's Comment
member avatar

Joseph, welcome to the forum!

This is certainly not a game changer for you, I remember my trainer who had over ten years experience didn't have his passport and it was for the same reason as yours. Our company occasionally goes into Canada, but it is not a requirement to have the passport for employment with them - there are many like that.

Make sure and do some reading in the Trucker's Career Guide. It will help you gain some basic information and knowledge about what you're getting into. Also if you're preparing to go to truck driving school or Company-Sponsored Training don't neglect the chance to put yourself way ahead of the others in class by working your way through the High Road Training Program.

Feel free to jump in here anytime you've got a question or concern and we will do our best to help out.


Commercial Driver's License (CDL)

A CDL is required to drive any of the following vehicles:

  • Any combination of vehicles with a gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds, providing the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.
  • Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing another not in excess of 10,000 pounds.
  • Any vehicle, regardless of size, designed to transport 16 or more persons, including the driver.
  • Any vehicle required by federal regulations to be placarded while transporting hazardous materials.

Company-sponsored Training:

A Company-Sponsored Training Program is a school that is owned and operated by a trucking company.

The schooling often requires little or no money up front. Instead of paying up-front tuition you will sign an agreement to work for the company for a specified amount of time after graduation, usually around a year, at a slightly lower rate of pay in order to pay for the training.

If you choose to quit working for the company before your year is up, they will normally require you to pay back a prorated amount of money for the schooling. The amount you pay back will be comparable to what you would have paid if you went to an independently owned school.

Company-sponsored training can be an excellent way to get your career underway if you can't afford the tuition up front for private schooling.

Andy H. aka AZ Scooby's Comment
member avatar

My Roehl recruiter said there are opportunities to go into Canada and only mentioned a passport if I wanted to earn additional pay. It isn't mandatory. But some companies DO require it. Just ask the companies that you talk to. There are plenty out there that would love to have you.

Joseph B.'s Comment
member avatar

Thanks to everyone for the welcome and the info! This all started because I was looking into FFE and found on their job description that you have to be able to go into Canada and Mexico with no restriction.

Thanks again, really looking forward to seeing y'all on the road in the future!

Page 1 of 1

New Reply:

New! Check out our help videos for a better understanding of our forum features

Links On TruckingTruth

example: TruckingTruth Homepage

Upload New Photo
Please enter a caption of one sentence or less:

Click on any of the buttons below to insert a link to that section of TruckingTruth:

Getting Started In Trucking High Road Training Program Company-Sponsored Training Programs Apply For Company-Sponsored Training Truck Driver's Career Guide Choosing A School Choosing A Company Truck Driving Schools Truck Driving Jobs Apply For Truck Driving Jobs DOT Physical Drug Testing Items To Pack Pre-Hire Letters CDL Practice Tests Trucking Company Reviews Brett's Book Leasing A Truck Pre-Trip Inspection Learn The Logbook Rules Sleep Apnea

0 characters so far - 5,500 maximum allowed.
Submit Preview



Why Join Trucking Truth?

We have an awesome set of tools that will help you understand the trucking industry and prepare for a great start to your trucking career. Not only that, but everything we offer here at TruckingTruth is 100% free - no strings attached! Sign up now and get instant access to our member's section:
High Road Training Program Logo
  • The High Road Training Program
  • The High Road Article Series
  • The Friendliest Trucker's Forum Ever!
  • Email Updates When New Articles Are Posted

Apply For Paid CDL Training Through TruckingTruth

Did you know you can fill out one quick form here on TruckingTruth and apply to several companies at once for paid CDL training? Seriously! The application only takes one minute. You will speak with recruiters today. There is no obligation whatsoever. Learn more and apply here:

Apply For Paid CDL Training