Trucking Overseas

Topic 15646 | Page 1

Page 1 of 1
Eric g's Comment
member avatar

Just wondering if anyone has experience driving in Europe? I'm looking to make that move eventually, just wondering how difficult it might be as far as license switch, finding a job and things like that. No specific country, I'm pretty open as to where I am looking to move. I was checking out Belarus, or maybe Netherlands. Thanks!

Robert B. (The Dragon) ye's Comment
member avatar

Are you looking to change residence and citizenship as well? I drove all over Europe but it was a bit different since I was in the military. I still had to have an international drivers license to operate any type of equipment or vehicle off of the base which was pretty much a given since we were constantly working locations all over and had to haul our equipment with us. In regards to a CDL license, I'm unsure but the international drivers test is no joke, it'll take every bit of 3 hours at the minimum.


Commercial Driver's License (CDL)

A CDL is required to drive any of the following vehicles:

  • Any combination of vehicles with a gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds, providing the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.
  • Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing another not in excess of 10,000 pounds.
  • Any vehicle, regardless of size, designed to transport 16 or more persons, including the driver.
  • Any vehicle required by federal regulations to be placarded while transporting hazardous materials.
Driver's Comment
member avatar

Do you have a Schengen Visa or European citizenship. I was planning on moving to France and working, eventually into truck driving, but found that just getting a job is difficult without papers.

How I understand it, the countries will hire there own citizens, then after other citizens from the EU. If they want to hire an american, the comany needs to go through a sponsor process.

If you have Irish ancestory, you can get citizenship and I almost qualified for finnish residency.

A few sites suggested just marrying some from Europe, which makes it a lot easier☺

If you can do it, what a great experience. Especially, driving around Europe!

Good Luck

Page 1 of 1

New Reply:

New! Check out our help videos for a better understanding of our forum features

Links On TruckingTruth

example: TruckingTruth Homepage

Upload New Photo
Please enter a caption of one sentence or less:

Click on any of the buttons below to insert a link to that section of TruckingTruth:

Getting Started In Trucking High Road Training Program Company-Sponsored Training Programs Apply For Company-Sponsored Training Truck Driver's Career Guide Choosing A School Choosing A Company Truck Driving Schools Truck Driving Jobs Apply For Truck Driving Jobs DOT Physical Drug Testing Items To Pack Pre-Hire Letters CDL Practice Tests Trucking Company Reviews Brett's Book Leasing A Truck Pre-Trip Inspection Learn The Logbook Rules Sleep Apnea

0 characters so far - 5,500 maximum allowed.
Submit Preview



Why Join Trucking Truth?

We have an awesome set of tools that will help you understand the trucking industry and prepare for a great start to your trucking career. Not only that, but everything we offer here at TruckingTruth is 100% free - no strings attached! Sign up now and get instant access to our member's section:
High Road Training Program Logo
  • The High Road Training Program
  • The High Road Article Series
  • The Friendliest Trucker's Forum Ever!
  • Email Updates When New Articles Are Posted

Apply For Paid CDL Training Through TruckingTruth

Did you know you can fill out one quick form here on TruckingTruth and apply to several companies at once for paid CDL training? Seriously! The application only takes one minute. You will speak with recruiters today. There is no obligation whatsoever. Learn more and apply here:

Apply For Paid CDL Training