High Road Training = Class A

Topic 20664 | Page 1

Page 1 of 1
Austin F.'s Comment
member avatar

So I've been put into a time constraint to get my class A license. So far in the High Road Training Program I've completed the Rules and Regulations (permit) and the driving safely (permit). My question is what others should I take just to go take the written for my class A?

Old School's Comment
member avatar

Welcome to the forum Austin!

Here is how the High Road Training program breaks down...

To Get Your CDL Permit:

*Rules & Regulations

*Driving Safely

*Transporting Cargo Safely

*Air Brakes

*Combination Vehicles

*Pre-Trip Inspection

*Driving Exam

To get your CDL endorsements which are optional but highly recommend:

*Transporting Passengers

*Doubles And Triples


*Hazardous Materials

Two sections we've built ourselves with info you'll need for everyday life on the road:


*Weight & Balance

Two sections for anyone considering flatbed:

*Cargo Securement

*New York State Coil Endorsement

Pre-trip Inspection:

A pre-trip inspection is a thorough inspection of the truck completed before driving for the first time each day.

Federal and state laws require that drivers inspect their vehicles. Federal and state inspectors also may inspect your vehicles. If they judge a vehicle to be unsafe, they will put it “out of service” until it is repaired.


Commercial Driver's License (CDL)

A CDL is required to drive any of the following vehicles:

  • Any combination of vehicles with a gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds, providing the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.
  • Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing another not in excess of 10,000 pounds.
  • Any vehicle, regardless of size, designed to transport 16 or more persons, including the driver.
  • Any vehicle required by federal regulations to be placarded while transporting hazardous materials.


A written or electronic record of a driver's duty status which must be maintained at all times. The driver records the amount of time spent driving, on-duty not driving, in the sleeper berth, or off duty. The enforcement of the Hours Of Service Rules (HOS) are based upon the entries put in a driver's logbook.

Combination Vehicle:

A vehicle with two separate parts - the power unit (tractor) and the trailer. Tractor-trailers are considered combination vehicles.


Refers to pulling two trailers at the same time, otherwise known as "pups" or "pup trailers" because they're only about 28 feet long. However there are some states that allow doubles that are each 48 feet in length.

Colin K.'s Comment
member avatar

This is great info. I'm going through everything now while also collecting data from my CPAP machine for my physical. I'm hoping to get everything completed within 30 days.

I never did know much about engines and how they worked so some things on the pre-trip are giving me problems. However, I'm determined to do this so I'm working hard at it.

Best Regards, Colin K.


Constant Positive Airway Pressure

CPAP is a breathing assist device which is worn over the mouth or nose. It provides nighttime relief for individuals who suffer from Sleep Apnea.

Pete B.'s Comment
member avatar

Colin (and Austin), doubtful you know less about engines than i did... i had to ask someone to put their finger on the slack adjuster, so i knew what they were talking about! If i can pass the pre-trip, anyone can. You just need to study it, memorize it, put the pieces-parts of it into groups that help you remember it.

Best of luck to you both.

Brett Aquila's Comment
member avatar

Get all of your endorsements while you're at it. It's much easier to get all of the studying and testing out of the way in the beginning. Once you get out on the road and start travelling, the last thing in the world you're going to want to do is make time for more studying and then use your precious home time to go take tests at the DMV.

I always recommend that people get all of the endorsements. The more endorsements you have the more flexible you are and the more opportunities you'll have down the line. Hazmat has to be renewed every two years. The others are just a quick exam you take one time and you're good to go.


Hazardous Materials

Explosive, flammable, poisonous or otherwise potentially dangerous cargo. Large amounts of especially hazardous cargo are required to be placarded under HAZMAT regulations


Dispatcher, Fleet Manager, Driver Manager

The primary person a driver communicates with at his/her company. A dispatcher can play many roles, depending on the company's structure. Dispatchers may assign freight, file requests for home time, relay messages between the driver and management, inform customer service of any delays, change appointment times, and report information to the load planners.


Department of Motor Vehicles, Bureau of Motor Vehicles

The state agency that handles everything related to your driver's licences, including testing, issuance, transfers, and revocation.

Page 1 of 1

New Reply:

New! Check out our help videos for a better understanding of our forum features

Links On TruckingTruth

example: TruckingTruth Homepage

example: https://www.truckingtruth.com
Upload New Photo
Please enter a caption of one sentence or less:

Click on any of the buttons below to insert a link to that section of TruckingTruth:

Getting Started In Trucking High Road Training Program Company-Sponsored Training Programs Apply For Company-Sponsored Training Truck Driver's Career Guide Choosing A School Choosing A Company Truck Driving Schools Truck Driving Jobs Apply For Truck Driving Jobs DOT Physical Drug Testing Items To Pack Pre-Hire Letters CDL Practice Tests Trucking Company Reviews Brett's Book Leasing A Truck Pre-Trip Inspection Learn The Logbook Rules Sleep Apnea

0 characters so far - 5,500 maximum allowed.
Submit Preview



Join Us!

We have an awesome set of tools that will help you understand the trucking industry and prepare for a great start to your trucking career. Not only that, but everything we offer here at TruckingTruth is 100% free - no strings attached! Sign up now and get instant access to our member's section:
High Road Training Program Logo
  • The High Road Training Program
  • The High Road Article Series
  • The Friendliest Trucker's Forum Ever!
  • Email Updates When New Articles Are Posted

Apply For Paid CDL Training Through TruckingTruth

Did you know you can fill out one quick form here on TruckingTruth and apply to several companies at once for paid CDL training? Seriously! The application only takes one minute. You will speak with recruiters today. There is no obligation whatsoever. Learn more and apply here:

Apply For Paid CDL Training

About Us

TruckingTruth was founded by Brett Aquila (that's me!), a 15 year truck driving veteran, in January 2007. After 15 years on the road I wanted to help people understand the trucking industry and everything that came with the career and lifestyle of an over the road trucker. We'll help you make the right choices and prepare for a great start to your trucking career.

Read More

Becoming A Truck Driver

Becoming A Truck Driver is a dream we've all pondered at some point in our lives. We've all wondered if the adventure and challenges of life on the open road would suit us better than the ordinary day to day lives we've always known. At TruckingTruth we'll help you decide if trucking is right for you and help you get your career off to a great start.

Learn More