New Noob Looking For Feedback

Topic 32673 | Page 1

Page 1 of 1
Jon H.'s Comment
member avatar

Hi y'all, I'm in the process of going to CDL training with Roehl . I'm in my mid 50s, a Infantry veteran, and a loner type . I've been considering getting my passport squared away before training, as well as a twice card. I'm also planning on doing my tanker and hazmat endorsements when I test out for my CDL. I live in the Houston area, and will be driving to Georgia to do my CDL training in January.

Thanks! Jon


Commercial Driver's License (CDL)

A CDL is required to drive any of the following vehicles:

  • Any combination of vehicles with a gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds, providing the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.
  • Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing another not in excess of 10,000 pounds.
  • Any vehicle, regardless of size, designed to transport 16 or more persons, including the driver.
  • Any vehicle required by federal regulations to be placarded while transporting hazardous materials.


Hazardous Materials

Explosive, flammable, poisonous or otherwise potentially dangerous cargo. Large amounts of especially hazardous cargo are required to be placarded under HAZMAT regulations


Transportation Worker Identification Credential

Truck drivers who regularly pick up from or deliver to the shipping ports will often be required to carry a TWIC card.

Your TWIC is a tamper-resistant biometric card which acts as both your identification in secure areas, as well as an indicator of you having passed the necessary security clearance. TWIC cards are valid for five years. The issuance of TWIC cards is overseen by the Transportation Security Administration and the Department of Homeland Security.

George B.'s Comment
member avatar

Roehl is a great company training etc. Good luck. Keep us posted. Lots of different options for hometime etc

Chief Brody's Comment
member avatar

If you're getting your passport specifically for trucking you may want to consider just getting the passport card, which can be used to cross the border into Canada and Mexico.

The passport card is cheaper than the passport book. I have both the passport and a passport card, but I use the passport card when I go into Canada.

Plus the passport card is easier to carry in your wallet easier to carry around.

Stevo Reno's Comment
member avatar

Funny is when I got my passport in 2016, opted for the card too. Thinking, "hey it's easier to carry around" Well, here in the Philippines, the card is pretty much useless. They wanna see the passport book, maybe to verify I am allowed to be here,and haven't overstayed lol. Especially, needed when picking up money sent to myself here, or exchanging dollars for pesos. Glad I won't need to go extend my stay next time, until March 2023 at immigration office @ the mall lol.....

Driving here is INSANE ! lol But, I'm learning how to do it safely, even though the natives don't. And is not often, I even see any police, ANY place, much less any "traffic control" sheeesh. Not like the states, seeing em everywhere on the roads.... Talk about having your head on a swivel x 10, with so many scooters, and crazy drivers. No 1 will give you much chance, to turn or change lanes, they don't wanna give up their spot on the road. Some towns I go thru, the roads are very skinny room for 1 car, then add some big construction or hauler trucks YIKES !! But I'm adapting, just don't go out driving unless we really need to.

Page 1 of 1

New Reply:

New! Check out our help videos for a better understanding of our forum features

Links On TruckingTruth

example: TruckingTruth Homepage

Upload New Photo
Please enter a caption of one sentence or less:

Click on any of the buttons below to insert a link to that section of TruckingTruth:

Getting Started In Trucking High Road Training Program Company-Sponsored Training Programs Apply For Company-Sponsored Training Truck Driver's Career Guide Choosing A School Choosing A Company Truck Driving Schools Truck Driving Jobs Apply For Truck Driving Jobs DOT Physical Drug Testing Items To Pack Pre-Hire Letters CDL Practice Tests Trucking Company Reviews Brett's Book Leasing A Truck Pre-Trip Inspection Learn The Logbook Rules Sleep Apnea

0 characters so far - 5,500 maximum allowed.
Submit Preview



Why Join Trucking Truth?

We have an awesome set of tools that will help you understand the trucking industry and prepare for a great start to your trucking career. Not only that, but everything we offer here at TruckingTruth is 100% free - no strings attached! Sign up now and get instant access to our member's section:
High Road Training Program Logo
  • The High Road Training Program
  • The High Road Article Series
  • The Friendliest Trucker's Forum Ever!
  • Email Updates When New Articles Are Posted

Apply For Paid CDL Training Through TruckingTruth

Did you know you can fill out one quick form here on TruckingTruth and apply to several companies at once for paid CDL training? Seriously! The application only takes one minute. You will speak with recruiters today. There is no obligation whatsoever. Learn more and apply here:

Apply For Paid CDL Training