Residency Issues.

Topic 7126 | Page 2

Page 2 of 2 Previous Page Go To Page:
Sun King's Comment
member avatar

Thanks all I got the answers I need. Great when so many people care for each other!🚛🚛


Mark, you may have all the answers you need, but boy howdy, you are in a position to drastically increase your income if you so choose. If you are willing to move to a large trucking hub, you can get a high paying LTL job easy. You are in a position to write your own ticket.

The low hanging fruit for good paying LTL jobs are Old Dominion, ABF, YBF, Conway. You do a little digging you can find more. Check these companies sites, or call human resources and see where the jobs are. Doing this you can make way more money.

There's a flatbed company in Missoula that was paying great and would train for your CDL. I mention this, because Pat want you to move there.rofl-2.gif


Commercial Driver's License (CDL)

A CDL is required to drive any of the following vehicles:

  • Any combination of vehicles with a gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds, providing the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.
  • Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing another not in excess of 10,000 pounds.
  • Any vehicle, regardless of size, designed to transport 16 or more persons, including the driver.
  • Any vehicle required by federal regulations to be placarded while transporting hazardous materials.


Less Than Truckload

Refers to carriers that make a lot of smaller pickups and deliveries for multiple customers as opposed to hauling one big load of freight for one customer. This type of hauling is normally done by companies with terminals scattered throughout the country where freight is sorted before being moved on to its destination.

LTL carriers include:

  • FedEx Freight
  • Con-way
  • YRC Freight
  • UPS
  • Old Dominion
  • Estes
  • Yellow-Roadway
  • ABF Freight
  • R+L Carrier


When a violation by either a driver or company is confirmed, an out-of-service order removes either the driver or the vehicle from the roadway until the violation is corrected.

Rick S.'s Comment
member avatar

DMV's usually require "proof of residency" in a couple of forms of documentation. And it's "supposed to be current". Most states require a change of address within 10 days of a move (in Florida, for example - you can actually get a citation for failing to change your address).

Florida's list (which is probably similar to most states):

Proof of Residential Address includes two (2) of the following:

Deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement, mortgage payment booklet or residential rental/lease agreement Florida Voter Registration Card Florida Vehicle Registration or Title Florida Boat Registration or Title Statements (Certification of Address Form) Customers with one proof of residential address may self-certify using the Certification of Address form as the second proof of residential address document Customers who reside with someone can self-certify using the Certification of Address form and one proof of residential address in the person’s name with whom they reside A utility hook up or work order Automobile Payment Booklet Selective Service Card Medical or health card Medical bill Homeowner's insurance policy or bill Automobile insurance policy or bill Educational institution transcript forms Professional license issued by a government agency in the U.S. W-2 form or 1099 form Form DS2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) status A letter from a homeless shelter, transitional service provider, or a half-way house verifying that the customer resides at the shelter address Utility bills Mail from financial institutions; including checking, savings, credit card statements or investment account statements Mail from Federal, State, County or City government agencies (including city and county agencies) Personal mail that does not list the recipient as “occupant”. Example: Magazines, journals, etc. Transients - Sexual Offender/Predator/Career Offender: �����- FDLE Registration form completed by local sheriff's department Certification of Address form Note: This is a fluid list and regular updates to the items that comprise it may occur.

------- The reason for having to PROVE RESIDENCY is - aside from tax implications - is that the government wants to know WHERE TO START LOOKING FOR YOU - should they have a reason to do so. Legal notices (like drivers license suspension notices, etc.), as well as "next of kin notifications" (god forbid) - though most DMV's have an "emergency contact" in their databases for this purpose.

This can be potentially problematic for drivers (or potential drivers) who, like the original poster, don't intend to actually maintain a homestead and/or need/want to obtain an address that is in the "hiring area" for the company they are trying to get on with. I'm in the same boat myself - should I decide to make the leap into the industry.

I need to get an address in a decent hiring area of Florida (because Fort Lauderdale is NOT ONE of them). I'll be "going homeless", because I don't need to expense of maintaining one (being single) that I'm only going to see a couple of days a month - which means I'm not going to require "home time" in any particular place.

I've heard stories about some state DMV's having the addresses of UPS Stores/Mailbox Etc's and the like "red flagged" in their databases - to prevent people from attempting to use them as "residential addresses".

This can also be "problematic" from a FEDERAL TAX STANDPOINT - because Tax Law requires a residence that you maintain and visit (no matter how infrequently) in order to take the "travel/road deductions" (meals, etc.).

Having a friend or relative in the "desired location" that will allow you to receive mail and vouch for you (in the form of a letter stating that you rent a room from them/etc.), is probably the SAFEST LEGAL WAY to establish a residence, when you don't (aren't) actually going to have a REAL ONE that yo hang your hat at.



Dispatcher, Fleet Manager, Driver Manager

The primary person a driver communicates with at his/her company. A dispatcher can play many roles, depending on the company's structure. Dispatchers may assign freight, file requests for home time, relay messages between the driver and management, inform customer service of any delays, change appointment times, and report information to the load planners.


Department of Motor Vehicles, Bureau of Motor Vehicles

The state agency that handles everything related to your driver's licences, including testing, issuance, transfers, and revocation.


Operating While Intoxicated

EvanstonMark's Comment
member avatar

Hey Guys. I understand what Rick is saying and his concerns. I am sure DMV regulations vary from state. I can only tell you my experiences and friends experiences with using UPS addresses in Illinois and Indiana.

Government mail federal IRS docs and voting registration get sent to me and the address Without an issue.

Being served by the courts also isnt a problem. UPS signs for it. And calls you to tell you whats going on.

I have nurse friends who take 13 week assignments all over the place use UPS addresses as a primary address out of state and in their home state. Its saves them money while they rent out their place they also get a storage unit for their things. It saves them a ton of money instead of having to maintain a homestead they dont even use.

As for emergency contacts. Use a family member or loved one. Even if they are out of state it is ok. As long as there is someone that can be contacted. Also UPS asks for an emergency contact as well.

Each UPS store is independently owned. So ask the staff if you have questions.

Chicago is on the border with Indiana many folks establish residence in Indiana. saves them money on taxes. I am not saying it is right or wrong. I am just saying people do it.

Sometimes people prefer privacy and dont want to ask parents or family to use their addresses. Or dont want them to hold their mail or packages. Some dont have family in all 50 states. This is just an option or suggestion for folks who need an option. It may not be for everyone. But it is out there if needed.

As for addresses being blacklisted i personally havent experienced that nor do I know people who have had an issue.

From a legal standpoint. Your homestead is your domicile. There are people who are homeless or transient who use facility addresses for their domicile. Folks live abroad and still have a place they call home in the States and pay taxes. Like I said I know many travelling nurses who do this. Thats how I got the idea.

Do what is right for you. I dont believe this is a permanent solution. But is a viable option while you are looking for work and establish residency in your new state. There is also less finacial risk when u arent sure you are getting the job u applied for. It is pricy to get a lease and utilities when u dont have a job or offer.

Hope this helps


Dispatcher, Fleet Manager, Driver Manager

The primary person a driver communicates with at his/her company. A dispatcher can play many roles, depending on the company's structure. Dispatchers may assign freight, file requests for home time, relay messages between the driver and management, inform customer service of any delays, change appointment times, and report information to the load planners.


Department of Motor Vehicles, Bureau of Motor Vehicles

The state agency that handles everything related to your driver's licences, including testing, issuance, transfers, and revocation.

Jason's Comment
member avatar

When i worked oil fields in Gulf of Mexico I was out for weeks/months at a time. Found a college town with student housing rentals. Usually offer a flat fee to rent a room that includes everything for 2-300/month.

Pricier than a mailbox but good enough to get your 'foot' on the door and then downsize.

ChrisEMT's Comment
member avatar

I had used a friends address for 3 1/2 years as my "residence". She took care of my mail and I picked it up every couple weeks, and I gave her a few bucks a week for doing it. A lot cheaper than even renting an "efficiency" apartment here in CT. Only time I got a hotel room is when I had 3 or 4 days off and wanted to sleep in a "real" bed. Otherwise, I slept in the truck, showered, ate, and did laundry at truck stops, even when I was "home"...

Robert D. (Raptor)'s Comment
member avatar

This has been on my mind for some time now. I have wondered how I was going to get out of California and move somewhere in the Midwest. My brother lives in Indiana, but when I asked him about saving my mail for up to a month he wasn't very enthused about that long. It costs $165 to register my '98 BMW in California. And $30 in Indiana. Can you say greed?

I will have my terminal out of Lathrop, Ca. for now with Swift-Refer Division. But I pay $800 a month for rent for a 1bd, 1ba and 1 car garage. But if I could bank that $800 instead of paying rent and live out of the truck I could save some serious bank. Even paying $200 a month for storage would be a great help. I'm single and kids are grown and have their own lives. I will miss them and the grand kids. But when I signed on to go back into trucking it wasn't a whim.

Just called Fontana, and they still don't have a mentor for me yet. Very frustrating. But I have to be patient. It still is the Christmas time. But while I sit, I'm not making any money. I didn't know it was that hard to find a non-smoking mentor.


A facility where trucking companies operate out of, or their "home base" if you will. A lot of major companies have multiple terminals around the country which usually consist of the main office building, a drop lot for trailers, and sometimes a repair shop and wash facilities.

Grumpy Old Man's Comment
member avatar

An ideal situation would be to find a struggling single mother in the city and state you need to have an address in. Work out a deal where you "rent a room (or even the couch)" in exchange for paying the cable bill, or phone bill, etc. with the understanding all that is required of her is that she forward your mail weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, or whatever you desire, at your expense. Make sure she understands that for all legal purposes, you maintain a room there, even if it is the couch, and your payment is the utility bill agreed upon. Put that utility bill in your name. That should be enough to prove a legal residence. While it is still a gray area, it would be more legal than having a relative claim you live there. If she is actually agreeable and able to rent an actual room for an agreed upon sum (plus the utility bill), even better. Agree she can use it for storage, or the kids play room when you are "not there".

A utility bill, plus a license with that address should be enough to show a legal residence, even for an enhanced license, etc.

I have a niece who would love an arrangement like that. Just having her cable or phone paid for would help her out, and she would have to do very little in return. And I would have a legal residence. I don't need it though, since I do own my own home, and have a wife.

Page 2 of 2 Previous Page Go To Page:

New Reply:

New! Check out our help videos for a better understanding of our forum features

Links On TruckingTruth

example: TruckingTruth Homepage

Upload New Photo
Please enter a caption of one sentence or less:

Click on any of the buttons below to insert a link to that section of TruckingTruth:

Getting Started In Trucking High Road Training Program Company-Sponsored Training Programs Apply For Company-Sponsored Training Truck Driver's Career Guide Choosing A School Choosing A Company Truck Driving Schools Truck Driving Jobs Apply For Truck Driving Jobs DOT Physical Drug Testing Items To Pack Pre-Hire Letters CDL Practice Tests Trucking Company Reviews Brett's Book Leasing A Truck Pre-Trip Inspection Learn The Logbook Rules Sleep Apnea

0 characters so far - 5,500 maximum allowed.
Submit Preview



Join Us!

We have an awesome set of tools that will help you understand the trucking industry and prepare for a great start to your trucking career. Not only that, but everything we offer here at TruckingTruth is 100% free - no strings attached! Sign up now and get instant access to our member's section:
High Road Training Program Logo
  • The High Road Training Program
  • The High Road Article Series
  • The Friendliest Trucker's Forum Ever!
  • Email Updates When New Articles Are Posted

Apply For Paid CDL Training Through TruckingTruth

Did you know you can fill out one quick form here on TruckingTruth and apply to several companies at once for paid CDL training? Seriously! The application only takes one minute. You will speak with recruiters today. There is no obligation whatsoever. Learn more and apply here:

Apply For Paid CDL Training

About Us

TruckingTruth was founded by Brett Aquila (that's me!), a 15 year truck driving veteran, in January 2007. After 15 years on the road I wanted to help people understand the trucking industry and everything that came with the career and lifestyle of an over the road trucker. We'll help you make the right choices and prepare for a great start to your trucking career.

Read More

Becoming A Truck Driver

Becoming A Truck Driver is a dream we've all pondered at some point in our lives. We've all wondered if the adventure and challenges of life on the open road would suit us better than the ordinary day to day lives we've always known. At TruckingTruth we'll help you decide if trucking is right for you and help you get your career off to a great start.

Learn More